Nintendo profits freefall as iPhone cuts into portable game sales

Comments

• Reply 101 of 204
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    iPhone and iPod touch have nothing to do with it!!!!

I still game more on my DS than iPhone. Actually, I ONLY game on my DS. The DS has the BEST games of any handheld.
  • Reply 102 of 204
    As much as I like the iPhone/Touch, I just don't see it being in the hands of a 4-10 yr old consistently. No doubt it has an impact, I just don't think it's as significant as any of these articles implied relative to portable gaming. Sony is loosing it with the PSP Go, who is it for? Nintendo is milking the Ds for all its worth.

As stated before, the Ds sales are slumping because of saturation (~115mil sold), exchange rates, and stale 5 yr old hardware. The PSP Go will fail for other reasons.

No doubt Apple will have an impact on portable gaming, but I just can't see it really competing with true portable systems. Apple has done what they do well, create a market segment (the 5-10 min gaming platform) and get tons of people to buy into it. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact I really like that I can kill time downloading junkware while waiting in the doctors office or DMV.

I guess another way of looking at this, who thinks that if there was no iPhone/Touch, would sales for Ds have doubled for the last quarter?
  • Reply 103 of 204
    You can't actually do any gaming on iPhone. You can watch intros.
  • Reply 104 of 204
    Wow, such angst! Easy, folks..... in case you didn't know, AI is a fan-site. Surprise, surprise, it reports Apple-related news with a pro-Apple spin.

Judging by all the words flying, you'd think it was a 60 Minutes blog or something.....
  • Reply 105 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

You can't actually do any gaming on iPhone. You can watch intros.

What exactly do you mean by this?
  • Reply 106 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What exactly do you mean by this?

It's what is stated by virtually all reasonable posts in this thread. iPhone just is nowhere near Nintendo in gaming.
  • Reply 107 of 204
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

What you meant to imply and what you actually implied seem to be at odds with each other ... perhaps your ability to "coherently explain" was caused by relying too much on an academic background, rather than "good old common sense" .... just saying ...

I think my only mistake was in taking the time to give you a serious answer. \
  • Reply 108 of 204
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

LOL. No I just remember you saying it a while back.

Excellent memory, dude!
  • Reply 109 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

It's what is stated by virtually all reasonable posts in this thread. iPhone just is nowhere near Nintendo in gaming.

Ecxept that it has full games, many of which are graphically impressive.

In this area, it doesn't matter how sophisticated either handset is for gaming. What matters is:

a) which handset is being chosen

b) which handset shows greater growth

Gaming is gaming. We're not talking Bejewelled here.
  • Reply 110 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Which logic can be used when someone reads "It's black" and says that he is reading "It's white"?

[me]

Nintendo profits freefall as iPhone cuts into portable game sales

Japanese game maker Nintendo's profits were cut in half, as sales of its portable Nintendo DS system continue to feel the impact of the iPhone and iPod touch.

[/me]

[quadra]Who said that the iPhone/iPod is the main reason, anyway?[/quadra]

As I said, my English is a little weak, what are really saying the title and the subtitle?

I'm guessing that you never noticed that headlines, even in newspapers tend to be sensationalistic and over the top, .... meant to grab your attention .... if you want the real story, you have to read further, but , you probably already knew that .... or not..
  • Reply 111 of 204
    Quote:

You got all answers above.

But you caught allright the idea of AppStore: to show The Growth. Nothing but The Growth.
  • Reply 112 of 204
    Quote:

In this area, it doesn't matter how sophisticated either handset is for gaming. What matters is:

There isn't any data to suggest that the ipod Touch or iPhone is being chosen for gaming.
  • Reply 113 of 204
    I can't imagine that Apple is going to have a very large impact on Nintendo, but I guess I could be wrong. My DS, which I loved to play before, has been collecting dust lately. The 'R' button no longer works and I haven't felt compelled to replace it. It isn't that I don't like playing games on it--I just play games on my iPhone instead. So I guess I do play into this to some extent.
  • Reply 114 of 204
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I'm guessing that you never noticed that headlines, even in newspapers tend to be sensationalistic and over the top, .... meant to grab your attention .... if you want the real story, you have to read further, but , you probably already knew that .... or not..

The obvious problem here is that the article further down doesn't put anything said in the headline into perspective, it reinforces only the claims made previously. So what's your point besides your thinly veiled insults? Is this the old ad hominem tactic to discredit the message by trying to discredit the messenger?
  • Reply 115 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Is this the old ad hominem tactic to discredit the message by trying to discredit the messenger?

Which is exactly what it is being done to AI here. It works both ways.
  • Reply 116 of 204
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Really, what full games? Tiger Woods is honestly the only decent one thats in the App Store.

The DS has content from Square Enix , games like final fantasy, kingdom hearts, dragon quest blow simple 99c games from the app store out the water. Mac users love to trumpet quality over quantity, but this doesnt apply to games on the ipod?

Also Nintendos sales tanked because the Wii hype is dropping off considerably and DS sales are slouching off cause they havent had any good games come out recently (Kingdom Hearts is the best i can remember in awhile). Not sure if your a gamer or not, but content on the console has a direct effect on sales (look at PS3 sales until recently), and the DS isnt marketed as an "all in one" device. Seriously most people use touches for ipod functions, then web browsing & apps. I have yet to hear anyone say "dude that new game is out for the iPod Touch, im totally gonna buy it"

Also AI, really you should know better than to publish anything about them making a home console, they'd get blown out the water very fast. They cant even get decent gaming on their PC, how are they going to make a full fledged gaming console to attract gamers?
  • Reply 117 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah but we had to feel it..lol Not to get into politics but Obama isn't doing much better. In fact he is acutally quite scary.

Our leaders aren't much better .... but , strangely enough, our's recently had a brief moment of coolness ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOt2Qp0H9G8 ...
  • Reply 118 of 204
    Quote:

Well I'll give you that, but insofar as AI blames the "freefall" on portable game sales, whereas the DS isn't Nintendo's only product. In the context of DS vs. iPhone/iPod, yes, there is an impact. But in the context of Nintendo qua Nintendo, there are several other factors, including the slowing economy vis-a-vis Wii sales, for example.

Apple operated in the same economy ... I mean, let's face it ... even SJ isn't that good!
  • Reply 119 of 204
    Nintendo made a $709 Million profit last quarter, which is still huge, and unlike Apple they generally sell low priced products without a dedicated retail sales channel. A lot of this comes down to the unsustainable levels of their success the past few years.

I suspect Apple will eventually suffer the same fate, being unable to sustain surpassing itself time after time. Apple this year was Nintendo a year ago. Let's see how long Apple can keep it up.

Also, it's important to remember the impact the Yen has had on Japanese companies' profit levels. The Yen is at about ¥90 per $1USD versus ¥115 the last few years.
  • Reply 120 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

If Apple turned the Apple TV into a gaming console they'd need to really do their research and test with test groups on the usability of the controller. Apple has a bad history of making mice and I'd suspect their game controller would be lacking too.

There's a first .... dissin' something not even invented yet.