Nintendo profits freefall as iPhone cuts into portable game sales

Comments

• Reply 81 of 204
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Excuse me , I think your "elitism" is showing!

IMHO there is a strong and opposite correlation between "an academic background" and common sense. There are a lot of "non academic but brilliant and gifted" people and "academic but stupid" people (does George Bush ring a bell?) in this world. It would be a mistake to think one group is better than the other.

It's a bit off-topic but nevertheless: I would never want to imply otherwise and it wasn't really meant to indicate any kind of superiority on my part (which I would never dare since I've met a lot of people during my university years who are clearly more intelligent than me, including my girl-friend). My comment about my background was more aimed at the fact that from early on the lecturers tried to teach us to critically evaluate information and common sense is in many ways the anti-theses to critical evaluation. It's a cop-out. In my experience people resort to "common sense" exactly when they can't coherently explain their argument. Common sense implies that there are a lot of people thinking the same way (security in numbers, although usually not proved as well that the numbers are indeed on their side), that the numbers correlate in any way with the truthfulness of the statement and worse that the one arguing against what is "common sense" is somehow and outsider of the society.
  • Reply 82 of 204
    I still can't believe they are trying to compare the numbers and costs of DS games and iPhone games.

It's like saying that sales of Porsches are down because people are buying Skodas.

The iPhone games are cheap because people wouldn't pay more for them.
  • Reply 83 of 204
    Quote:

Are you suggesting that everyone who posts here is a Canadian? .... Wow! ... I guess that all of my flag waving is paying off.

LOL. No I just remember you saying it a while back.
  • Reply 84 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

my kids are bored after 3 weeks with DS AND WII games

at 50 bucks a pop

i have stopped buying

yet we still play halo and COD for mac yrs later

You need to buy better games then. I bet all your wii games are the crappy mini game ones.
  • Reply 85 of 204
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

I thought that my English comprehension is perhaps weak but yours is a lot worse.

My God, you don't live in this reality, you live far beyond any RDF

Ah! ... the old "if you can't argue using logic, attack their intelligence ploy" ... well played.
  • Reply 86 of 204
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If you do an Google search you will see respectable sources such as the Financial TImes and the Wall Street Journal contribute some of Nintendo's losses to competition from Apple.

Some of Nintendo's losses may be a result of the recession, but that is because people are seeing more value in an all in one device like Apple's iPod Touch. The iPod Touch might not be the best gaming system, but on balance when money is tight, many parents are going to go for that because the games are so inexpensive and there are so many cool things you can do about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by travisc77 View Post

To me it seems unlikely that iPhone or iPod Touch had that much of a significant impact on Nintendo's portable sales. Another example of Apple cheer-leading by AI.

What does seem likely is that we are 1) in a recession 2) somewhat stale hardware 3) everybody and their brother already has a Ds. Sure some impact from the touch, but I have yet to any kid dropping the Ds for the games on the Touch.

I've even asked my 9-yr old about the Touch, and he said it was too hard to control compared his Ds or PSP.

Thoughts?

• Reply 87 of 204
    Quote:

I thought that my English comprehension is perhaps weak but yours is a lot worse.

My God, you don't live in this reality,

You mean the reality in which Apple is redefining handheld gaming?
  • Reply 88 of 204
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Ah! ... the old "if you can't argue using logic, attack their intelligence ploy" ... well played.

Which logic can be used when someone reads "It's black" and says that he is reading "It's white"?

[me]

Japanese game maker Nintendo's profits were cut in half, as sales of its portable Nintendo DS system continue to feel the impact of the iPhone and iPod touch.

[/me]

[quadra]Who said that the iPhone/iPod is the main reason, anyway?[/quadra]

As I said, my English is a little weak, what are really saying the title and the subtitle?
  • Reply 89 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Hey you dont live in America you can rag on GWB. Only we can do that...LOL

Even Canadians recognize stupidity ....
  • Reply 90 of 204
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If you do an Google search you will see respectable sources such as the Financial TImes and the Wall Street Journal contribute some of Nintendo's losses to competition from Apple.

I bet you that all of those newspapers are citing Reuters
  • Reply 91 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You mean the reality in which Apple is redefining handheld gaming?

Its good to read more then Just Appleinsider. Unless Hitachi and NEC are being dragged down they the iPod Touch this entire AI article is BS. LOL redefining handheld gaming. Your funny.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200910...ns_electronics

"The mixed results at Japan's major technology companies underline not only the hardships of the global economic slump but also differing success in achieving a recovery"
  • Reply 92 of 204
    Quote:

Even Canadians recognize stupidity ....

Yeah but we had to feel it..lol Not to get into politics but Obama isn't doing much better. In fact he is acutally quite scary.
  • Reply 93 of 204
    Quote:

Which logic can be used when someone reads "It's black" and says that he is reading "It's white".

[me]

Japanese game maker Nintendo's profits were cut in half, as sales of its portable Nintendo DS system continue to feel the impact of the iPhone and iPod touch.

[/me]

[quadra]Who said that the iPhone/iPod is the main reason, anyway?[/quadra]

As I said, my English is a little weak, what are really saying the title and the subtitle?

What are really saying?

They are really saying "Nintendo DS continue(s) to feel the impact of the iPhone and iPod Touch."

Nothing untrue about that. Is it the main reason? No. There are other reasons. But since the iPhone and iPod are making an impact (which to whatever degree they are, apparently), Nintendo is feeling it. It feels other impacts as well, but it also feels the impact Apple is making.
  • Reply 94 of 204
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by travisc77 View Post

To me it seems unlikely that iPhone or iPod Touch had that much of a significant impact on Nintendo's portable sales. Another example of Apple cheer-leading by AI.

What does seem likely is that we are 1) in a recession 2) somewhat stale hardware 3) everybody and their brother already has a Ds. Sure some impact from the touch, but I have yet to any kid dropping the Ds for the games on the Touch.

I've even asked my 9-yr old about the Touch, and he said it was too hard to control compared his Ds or PSP.

If you need some sort of analog control or drag and drop, touch and tilt seem to be pretty good, though I don't like tilting the display with the controller, some games are bad about this. The pretend buttons don't seem to be so responsive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the japs need to invest millions to go way beyond apple devices or whats the point if they don't .

they sucked down tons of profits with there cheap 32 bit machines .

You might not realize it, but "jap" is an ethnic slur. Best not to use it.

iPhone & Touch aren't 64 bit machines, are they?

Quote:

Exactly.

Who said that the iPhone/iPod is the main reason, anyway?

The industry has acknolwdged the iPhone/iPod is a factor. It doesn't take a lot of brain cells to understand this, and I'm not sure why a lot of people here have trouble understanding this.

So no, you don't need to think for yourself when the facts are already there. Just parrot the facts, because they're . . . facts.

The key difference is that AI headline exaggerates, implying that's the main why Nintendo is hurting, and the kickoff to the article comes out of one sentence in a Reuters report, and omitted the other factors. There aren't even estimates as to the degree of the impact compared to other possible reasons.
  • Reply 95 of 204
    "DSi LL "

Nice catchy name...
  • Reply 96 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

It's a bit off-topic but nevertheless: I would never want to imply otherwise and it wasn't really meant to indicate any kind of superiority on my part (which I would never dare since I've met a lot of people during my university years who are clearly more intelligent than me, including my girl-friend). My comment about my background was more aimed at the fact that from early on the lecturers tried to teach us to critically evaluate information and common sense is in many ways the anti-theses to critical evaluation. It's a cop-out. In my experience people resort to "common sense" exactly when they can't coherently explain their argument. Common sense implies that there are a lot of people thinking the same way (security in numbers, although usually not proved as well that the numbers are indeed on their side), that the numbers correlate in any way with the truthfulness of the statement and worse that the one arguing against what is "common sense" is somehow and outsider of the society.

What you meant to imply and what you actually implied seem to be at odds with each other ... perhaps your ability to "coherently explain" was caused by relying too much on an academic background, rather than "good old common sense" .... just saying ...
  • Reply 97 of 204
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    If Apple turned the Apple TV into a gaming console they'd need to really do their research and test with test groups on the usability of the controller. Apple has a bad history of making mice and I'd suspect their game controller would be lacking too.
  • Reply 98 of 204
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

If so, AppleInsider outright LIED, because AI alleged that the statements Nintendo made about cmpetition from Apple were on the record, and the first of its kind made by Nintendo:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...its_sales.html

Nintendo's comments are the first on-the-record statements from the Japanese company that treat Apple as a genuine competitor. The iPhone maker itself has been quick to challenge Nintendo, calling the iPod touch a "console experience," but until now hasn't been acknowledged in return.

Aparently, at some point during the conference call, Nintendo either declared Apple a genuine competitor, or somehow intimated the same.

So what's AIs source?

Okay here is a quote that I found while trying to find an unbiased source who had more first hand knowledge of the conference call (but failed) none the less this quote clears things up to some degree.

Quote:

Although the Japanese company did not specifically mention the iPhone or iPod touch, the company’s handheld DS platform “faces increasing competition from Apple Inc’s iPhone, which has become a popular platform for handheld games,” according to Reuters.

(highlighting and color change done by me to make it stand out)

NOW the problem is that quote "...faces increasing competition from Apple Inc’s iPhone, which has become a popular platform for handheld games" has been reattributed to an official Nintendo spokesman which is a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger story.

So what do some unscruples sites do? Simple... remove the 'according to Reuters' and replace with 'according to Nintendo' there you have it, one REALLY great story! While I see that AI does indeed attribute the quote correctly (to Reuters) a fair number of other sites do not.

Some examples of creative story telling:

http://blog.playhaven.com/2009/08/ha...ming-platform/

Quote:

Specifically, this was the most interesting quote in the announcement: “But Nintendo expects its profit to fall for the first time in four years in the current year to March 2010 as the Wii’s momentum slows and the company faces increased competition in the handheld business from Apple Inc’s iPhone.”

• Reply 99 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If you need some sort of analog control or drag and drop, touch and tilt seem to be pretty good, though I don't like tilting the display with the controller, some games are bad about this. The pretend buttons don't seem to be so responsive.

You might not realize it, but "jap" is an ethnic slur. Best not to use it.

iPhone & Touch aren't 64 bit machines, are they?

The key difference is that AI headline exaggerates, implying that's the main why Nintendo is hurting, and the kickoff to the article comes out of one sentence in a Reuters report, and omitted the other factors. There aren't even estimates as to the degree of the impact compared to other possible reasons.

Well I'll give you that, but insofar as AI blames the "freefall" on portable game sales, whereas the DS isn't Nintendo's only product. In the context of DS vs. iPhone/iPod, yes, there is an impact. But in the context of Nintendo qua Nintendo, there are several other factors, including the slowing economy vis-a-vis Wii sales, for example.
  • Reply 100 of 204
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Regarding the lack of dock connector accessories, I think Gazoobee has it right that companies may not want to pay the licensing fee. Remember that accessory companies are, in general, much smaller than Apple and are likely leveraged with considerable debt, rather than having an enormous pile of cash. R&D expenditures have likely been cut for accessory companies, and represent significant risk, even in good economic times. The margins for accessories are relatively small, so paying the dock connector licensing fee may tip the profitability analysis negative. The flood of accessories will probably happen eventually, but not until manufacturers are convinced consumers are in a buying mood.