Bill Gates praises Steve Jobs for saving Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
When asked about Steve Jobs in a TV special that aired this week, Bill Gates said the Apple co-founder has shown "more inspiration" than any other leader in the tech industry.

The program "Warren Buffett and Bill Gates: Keeping America Great" aired Thursday night on CNBC. The "Town Hall Event" featured questions from the audience directed towards two of the world's richest men.

One audience member asked Gates, to laughter from the audience, what his thoughts were on Jobs and the work he has done as CEO of Apple. The Microsoft founder had fond words for his rival.

"Well, he's done a fantastic job," Gates said. "Apple is in a bit of a different business where they make hardware and software together. But when Steve was coming back to Apple, which was actually through an acquisition of NeXT that he ran, Apple was in very tough shape. In fact, most likely it wasn't going to survive."

He continued: "And he brought in a team, he brought in inspiration about great products and design that's made Apple back into being an incredible force in doing good things. And it's great to have competitors like that. We write software for Apple, Microsoft does. They compete with Apple. But he, of all the leaders in the industry that I've worked with, he showed more inspiration and he saved the company."

In 2007, both Gates and Jobs sat down side-by-side for an interview with Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal at the D5 conference. In that talk, both influential technology leaders were complimentary of one another.

Jobs credited Gates for being the first to build a company solely around software, rather than depending on customized software. Gates responded by crediting Apple's populist approach with Jobs at the helm.

In that interview, Gates revealed that Microsoft shifted away from developing software for the Mac around the time of Jobs' departure, a move made mostly due to his absence.

"We worried that Apple wasn?t differentiating itself from the other platforms?Windows and DOS," Gates said in 2007. "The product line just didn?t evolve the way it needed to. Certainly not the way it would have if Steve had been there."

As the Microsoft co-founder noted in his comments on CNBC this week, though the company still competes with Apple, it also continues to write software for the Mac platform. Next year, Microsoft plans to release Office 2010 for Mac, with a new version of Outlook based on Cocoa, the development layer of Mac OS X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 263
    That's right, Bill.

Now thank Steve for all the inspiration he provided you for Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 263
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Fair enough comments, kind of gracious actually. If only Steve Balmer was the same.
  • Reply 3 of 263
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That's right, Bill.

Now thank Steve for all the inspiration he provided you for Windows.

SSSSSSSssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

More like all the inspiration Bill provided Steve in making a fortune.
  • Reply 4 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Fair enough comments, kind of gracious actually. If only Steve Balmer was the same.

SoMehow the word gracious doesn't quite come to mind when thinking of Steve Ballmer, no matter what the setting.
  • Reply 5 of 263
    Now he tells us. I have always been amused by Bill's virtual inability to describe anything positively without the use of the words "fantastic" and "incredible." I see he hasn't picked up any new vocabulary. Anyway, possibly a back-of-the-hand to Steve Ballmer? It could certainly be read that way.
  • Reply 6 of 263
    Yes, I think Gates is pretty gracious too. Dare I say it but I think it comes easier to Bill than to Steve to say these types of things.

As to Ballmer... nahhh, not gonna happen!
  • Reply 7 of 263
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Nice article about people actually being nice to each other for a change. Happy Holidays to all! Thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 263
    2 indisputable geniuses of Tech! If Bill Gates didn't step down, MSFT would be $200+ too. His only mistake was trusting Steve "the Bonehead" Ballmer.
  • Reply 9 of 263
    It's always nice when rivals nick ideas, but then forget about it when they're together.
  • Reply 10 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

for real - what does that even mean? First of all, most of Jobs' fortune is in Disney, not Apple. Second of all, most of Jobs' Appel-based fortune is directly due to the success of the iPod and iPhone, which Gates and MS had absolutely nothing to do with.

Par for the course with another baseless teckdud comment.
  • Reply 11 of 263
    Well of course Thief Billy Goat the Troll has to express appreciation for Apple, the Source from which Microsoft steals their copying.

M$ is primarily a copying company, after all.

That Steve Jobs learned to accept the Thief M$ always nipping at his heels and move beyond that albatross speaks to what a high-minded and great man Steve Jobs has become.
  • Reply 12 of 263
    Quote:

What the hell does that even mean?
  • Reply 13 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

2 indisputable geniuses of Tech! If Bill Gates didn't step down, MSFT would be $200+ too. His only mistake was trusting Steve "the Bonehead" Ballmer.

I don't think so. Gates often gets too much credit. Much of the culture we see at Microsoft today was his creation. Steve Blamer didn't make it any better, but I'm not sure he made it much worse.
  • Reply 14 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

microsoft at $200 makes them a $1.7 Trillion company. That's trillion, with a T. Exaggeration much?
  • Reply 15 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

for real - what does that even mean? First of all, most of Jobs' fortune is in Disney, not Apple. Second of all, most of Jobs' Appel-based fortune is directly due to the success of the iPod and iPhone, which Gates and MS had absolutely nothing to do with.

Par for the course with another baseless teckdud comment.

Well what did the statment I was responding to mean?

As for baseless- ask yourself - when exactly did Bill Gates make his fortune and how large is it. 'nuff said.
  • Reply 16 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What the hell does that even mean?

Well what does yours mean?
  • Reply 17 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't think so. Gates often gets too much credit. Much of the culture we see at Microsoft today was his creation. Steve Blamer didn't make it any better, but I'm not sure he made it much worse.

Microsoft has been asleep at the wheel for so long, on so many fronts, it's hard to pinpoint blame at this point.
  • Reply 18 of 263
    Quote:

Well what does yours mean?

Well what do you think it means??

It means that without Apple, Windows wouldn't be nearly as usable as it is today. In fact without Apple, the entire tech industry would still be in the Dark Ages. MS follows Apple. The industry at large follows Apple. MS got all their ideas from Apple and continues to do so, even making headlines about it!
  • Reply 19 of 263
    Quote:

Well what did the statment I was responding to mean?

As for baseless- ask yourself - when exactly did Bill Gates make his fortune and how large is it. 'nuff said.

The statement you were responding to, "Now thank Steve for all the inspiration he provided you for Windows" is pretty obvious. It claims, like a recent MS exec admitted, that Windows draws heavily from OSX. They can issue a press release retracting the execs comments all they want, but that doesn't change the fact that Windows trails OSX in innovation and "look and feel."

Gates and Jobs were both multi-millionaires by the mid-80's, if not much earlier. What's your point?
  • Reply 20 of 263
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

TechDud, in another thread I said it was possible that people might take you for a fool. Now I can see why they should.