Bill Gates praises Steve Jobs for saving Apple

Comments

• Reply 121 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Bill has matured over the years, of course it's taken him a long time, longer than the average male, which is long enough to begin with.

He was gracious here and you got to give it to him.

As for that obese creep Balmer, well...

Well, he did always seem to have an Apple fetish of some sort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uau0a...layer_embedded

Perhaps at one time he was hoping Apple would share a bit more of their toys for whatever price.

Didn't really turn out that way.
  • Reply 122 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

no, but i am citing history, just like skater. sorry you're too blind to see that.

it must suck you have to avoid the statement as much as you do. hurts to be so wrong doesnt it?

Wrong? Hardly.

Fact 1: Apple has done poorly without Steve.

Fact 2: Apple has done poorly with Steve the first time also.

Apple will be doing poorly after Steve is gone is just an assumption. It's not a fact. Histrory is where you learn what not to do. Current Apple team is very impressive.
  • Reply 123 of 263
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Without Bill Gates' phenomenal success do you really think SJ would have been as propelled at vengeance as has been well documented over and over again? And I'm a fool?

Show me the "well documented evidence" instead of just your usual rant, and .... yes, judging from your posts, you're a fool.
  • Reply 124 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah not that Steve Jobs has ever done anything wrong you know like facing a security fraud lawsuit.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs, former Apple CEO Michael Spindler as well as other high-profile company execs are named in the most recent investor lawsuit over stock option grant irregularities and may be forced to return the monies they made from grants received as part Apple's executive stock compensation plan, if the lawsuit is successful.

Facing charges and being convicted are two different things, except in your world, apparently.

"The U.S. Department of Justice as closed a criminal investigation of backdated stock options granted to Apple chief executive officer Steve Jobs. No charges will be filed."
  • Reply 125 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Wrong? Hardly.

Fact 1: Apple has done poorly without Steve.

Fact 2: Apple has done poorly with Steve the first time also.

Apple will be doing poorly after Steve is gone is just an assumption. It's not a fact. Histrory is where you learn what not to do.

Does Steve's recent absence for 6 months count as "without Steve"?

And why do people asssume this is 1996?

The industry is unaninous in its belief that Jobs' vision has become ingrained into the culture at Apple. For every instance of doubt there is another instance of confidence.

Besides, it's useless discussing the probable fallout of Apple wihout Steve before it even happens, especially in light of the fact that Apple is very different today from the Apple of the mid-90s. And this all assumes that Steve wil somehow leave Apple by whatever means over the next few years. The man is only 54. Ted Rogers was involved with Rogers Communications right up until his death at the age of 75, for example. As long as Jobs exists and is interested in tech Apple's vision won't change. Even in light of Jobs' recent illness, it is quite possible that he too, will live to a ripe old age.

"Apple is nothing without Steve Jobs."

Ok. But Apple has Steve Jobs now. And chances are, he'll be around next month, too. So now what? Is MS waiting for him to leave so they can get their head out of their ass or something? "Alright guys, Jobs is gone. NOW we can start producing things people actually want."
  • Reply 126 of 263
    Quote:

OMG- it's a TOTAL bad thing! Gore is the most inept politician ever. He should have rolled over Bush with Clinton's record but wimped away from Bill because of his extra-marital touchy fealies. Then he couldn't even put up a respectable fight in Florida in the courts, He rightfully deserved to loose exactly because of his inneptness. Also he's a hypocrite as documented with all his enviro preachiness yet doesn't practice what he preaches.

Oh, I thought you meant the aluminum-and-glass Macs are bad. I think they're great -- no more special cleaning solutions, just clean the screen with dishwashing soap!
  • Reply 127 of 263
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Ok. Apple has Steve Jobs now. And chances are, he'll be around next month, too. So now what?

Return of MATTE!
  • Reply 128 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Show me the "well documented evidence" instead of just your usual rant, and .... yes, judging from your posts, you're a fool.

Do you anything but attack people's post, Do you ever make an actual original post of your OWN?
  • Reply 129 of 263
    Quote:

'The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned Judge Jackson's rulings against Microsoft. This was partly because the Appellate court had adopted a "drastically altered scope of liability" under which the Remedies could be taken, and also partly due to the embargoed interviews Judge Jackson had given to the news media while he was still hearing the case, in violation of the Code of Conduct for US Judges.[13] Judge Jackson did not attend the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals hearing, in which the appeals court judges accused him of unethical conduct and determined he should have recused himself from the case.[14]"

Actually the case was overturned and a settlement was reached.

Wrong. Judge Jackson's Findings of Fact in the case were upheld by the Appeals Court in full. What they overturned was his remedy. When the case was taken over by the Bush administration, they settled it quite favorably to Microsoft. The Findings did however become the basis for several civil settlements, including huge payouts to Sun and AOL (which had bought Netscape). This is even before we get to the later EU antitrust actions, which further sanctioned Microsoft for violating European laws on competition.
  • Reply 130 of 263
    Quote:

Gald to see yet again your not making any real contribution to yet another thread.

Quote:

Right, because you guys are always contributing in such a "real" way.
  • Reply 131 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLC View Post

What Bill is really saying is Apple will suffer greatly when Steve leaves.

While that was positively true at one time, Im not sure that it is as true now. There are a lot of good people at Apple and you can see the necessary passion from a lot of of them in spite of the different roles within the company. You can see the passion J. Ive has in his videos, hear the excitement in Phil's voice during presentations, even Tim Cook sounds prideful when discussing the numbers. While the loss of SJ would no doubt be painful, I don't see it as spelling the demise of Apple. In any case, here's hoping that day is a long way off.
  • Reply 132 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What does that mean? "Prepared to find?" Why didn't s/he? What happened there?

I don't recall the exact sequence, but judges can use the threat of contempt of court charges to stop lawyers from screwing around with the court. Jackson had to use that threat a couple of times in U.S. v. Microsoft, though I don't think he ever went as far as to have the charges filed.
  • Reply 133 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

It is of course possible that people change, even Bill Gates. It is possible that the influence of his wife made him a better person.

My sense is that he hasn't changed, or at least not very much. The Gates Foundation sometimes operates like the Microsoft of charities -- telling instead of asking. Not always, but I've seen some of that Bill Gates characteristic in the foundation for sure.
  • Reply 134 of 263
    ... .. ..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

while that was positively true at one time, im not sure that it is as true now. There are a lot of good people at apple

seems all the good ones are there, doesn't it? I know i'm being facetious here, but it sure feels like all the talent is in cupertino.

and you can see the necessary passion from a lot of of them in spite of the different roles within the company. You can see the passion j. Ive has in his videos, hear the excitement in phil's voice during presentations, even tim cook sounds prideful when discussing the numbers.

completely different corporate culture at apple. In fact, apple is quite unlike most american corporations.they're a model for the world, in fact. It's quite remarkable. They seem to defy conventional wisdom. In 2001 steve jobs said they would innovate their way out of the economic downturn. And they did. And here they are doing it again, while the also-rans still haven't caught on.

while the loss of sj would no doubt be painful, i don't see it as spelling the demise of apple. In any case, here's hoping that day is a long way off.

quite frankly, i don't see any profit at all in duscussing the loss of steve jobs. Right now, all that's really important is discussing the degree to which the next iphone will embarrass the also-rans, and how the upcoming tablet will change the game once again.

• Reply 135 of 263
    Corporate culture is pretty hard to get rid of. I'm sure Apple will be okay. Isn't Tim Cook next in line?

Bill Gates is cool in my book. Despite its bad practices, his company brought personal computing to the masses. Shame they couldn't handle competition very well.
  • Reply 136 of 263
    Thanks for your honesty Bill, and thanks for continuing to upgrade and support the Office Suite for MAC, which I HONESTLY enjoy using!!

I hate to works in Windows, though I have XP installed on my MacBook Pro for a couple of programs I can't avoid. That said Microsoft is not ALL bad... just not for me computer wise. I think it's time for "I'm a MAC" to throw "I'm a PC" a bone for Christmas and thank him for the great Microsoft software that runs so well on a MAC, after all, it is a great hedge for Microsoft if Windows 7 craps out! ...Providing they don't lose the next round in court and Microsoft is enjoined from selling Word.
  • Reply 137 of 263
    Quote:

Do you anything but attack people's post, Do you ever make an actual original post of your OWN?

If you can't stand the heat .... get out of the kitchen, TechDud.
  • Reply 138 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Right, because you guys are always contributing in such a "real" way.

Tell us more of your thought provoking insights.
  • Reply 139 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Unfortunately extreme is actually right, Apple was on brink on closure before SJ stepped back into the company, that is a fact and everyone knows about the MAJOR issues occurring with innovation and business strategy at the time before SJ coming back

I guess the lesson learned is never allow a soda pop salesmen to run a computer company.
  • Reply 140 of 263
    Quote:

Unfortunately....LOL. I'm actually right alot of time.

I'd settle for some. Let's not get too "extreme".