'Mark the Spot' iPhone app aims to find AT&T trouble areas

Comments

• Reply 21 of 147
    jroyjroy Posts: 30member
    Umm... Am I the only one who noticed that in the example of a customer report given, the map shows the problem happening in the middle of a highway, with the report made for "current location". Also clearly shown is a warning NOT to report problems while driving. But ... looks like that's exactly what this customer did. LOL
  • Reply 22 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Everytime we submit this data on their crap app - will AT&T issue us a credit for the problems we've incurred? Noooooo.

if its crap dont use it please go to verizon and live happily ever after
  • Reply 23 of 147
    Quote:

It's AT&T responsibilty to figure out where and why their network craps out not its customers. They should have people in the field doing tests of their signals etc. This is really pathetic. I'm surprised this app made it through the Apple censorship board. It should be automatic and require no app per se. This is frkn ridiculous.

Ok, then invite an AT&T wireless service engineer into your home so they can see how strong your voice and data signals are. Oh, is that too much of a hassle for you, then stop complaining. AT&T and any other wireless provider cannot predict and/or prevent bad coverage for all of the millions of places and unique situations they face. This app will allow them to pinpoint specific places where they believe they should have adequate coverage but for whatever reason there isn't.
  • Reply 24 of 147
    neilmneilm Posts: 995member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

The difference is AT&T will discard the data, VZ would publish it.

And you base this penetrating insight on... what exactly?
  • Reply 25 of 147
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:

It's AT&T responsibilty to figure out where and why their network craps out not its customers. They should have people in the field doing tests of their signals etc. This is really pathetic. I'm surprised this app made it through the Apple censorship board. It should be automatic and require no app per se. This is frkn ridiculous.

Glad to see all your concern. Actually this app is a great idea IMO. If you know anything about networks you would realize that finding problems is not as simple as most folks think.

UMTS and HSDPA are noise-sensitive systems. The data speed delivered is directly related to the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Every cell in a UMTS/HSDPA network use the same frequency, and signals from different cells overlap, collide, and interfere with one another. This interference is due to a lack of cell isolation. This phenomenon reduces data speeds and decreases network capacity since it causes inter-cell interference in the overlapping areas. The overlap issue impacts mobile operators' ability to deliver service in urban core areas and inside of buildings, where broadband users rely on service most. Most urban areas are covered by more than one UMTS cell, so that user devices hunt from cell to cell. This limits HSDPA performance, and degrades network capacity. T
  • Reply 26 of 147
    Quote:

your right, but this is a responsive argument above that ATT is looking for the most troubling spots for customers. the more complaints an area gets, the more likely ATT will try to stop the bleeding their.

why? cause the ATT Jig is up.... people know ATT service sucks. so finally... they are trying to plug some of the worst holes. but will this be enough?

will they do it in a timely fashion? hard to believe ATT will, i have been a customer for years. and their service has gone from second place, maybe first in some areas, to worst and unreliable.

many times i can't get data at all, just voice, and poor voice coverage... in the center of LA.
  • Reply 27 of 147
    GOOD JOB AT&T - at least you're proactive (or reactive) and seem to want to fix the problem. Now, if only my fellow iPhone owners can provide solid data - maybe your service can continue to improve.

Oh, and nice job with the ads. I didn't realize that with Verizon, I can't talk on the phone and use data services. A very good point indeed.

Now, can we get the voice and data plan for iPhone down to that of other phones - if you could, I think a lot of AT&T haters would start to change their tune.
  • Reply 28 of 147
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shinrah View Post

I use it in spite of AT&T's crap- and I'm not the only one. You have a problem with that?
  • Reply 29 of 147
    It's not very pretty.
  • Reply 30 of 147
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

Glad to see all your concern. Actually this app is a great idea IMO. If you know anything about networks you would realize that finding problems is not as simple as most folks think.

UMTS and HSDPA are noise-sensitive systems. The data speed delivered is directly related to the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Every cell in a UMTS/HSDPA network use the same frequency, and signals from different cells overlap, collide, and interfere with one another. This interference is due to a lack of cell isolation. This phenomenon reduces data speeds and decreases network capacity since it causes inter-cell interference in the overlapping areas. The overlap issue impacts mobile operators' ability to deliver service in urban core areas and inside of buildings, where broadband users rely on service most. Most urban areas are covered by more than one UMTS cell, so that user devices hunt from cell to cell. This limits HSDPA performance, and degrades network capacity. T

LOL - who's the 'teck (mispelled, btw) stud' now. BAM! (agree's with pats) It's funny how everything is someone elses job, until it's yours.

Teck - maybe you should switch to Horizon and buy a Dell. They would welcome your almost eery stalking of their forums with over 6500 posts.
  • Reply 31 of 147
    Quote:

This is a tough crowd to please.

If AT&T did not ask for customer feedback, you'd be all over them. And now when they do, you complain. AT&T is doing exactly what they should: Identify the most critical problem areas, and allocate resources to correct them...ASAP. It's called "low hanging fruit". It increases customer satisfaction and reduces costs.....which is exactly what every company should do.
  • Reply 32 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

It shouldn't require an App - plain and simple. If something fails - this info should be automatically sent to AT&T just like when your Mac applications fail. You're automatically asked if you want to send a report to Apple detailing the log, etc. AT&T is trying to reboot their image and this ap crap is lame. I for one am not using my HD to give AT&T a helping hand. I doubt the info they get will even get looked at for a long time. Is AT&T going to update us on how they intend to coorrect the situation. Hell no.
  • Reply 33 of 147
    Quote:

That's a nice delusion. I had Verizon for several years before switching to Cingular (and now AT&T) even before getting the iPhone. Both Verizon and AT&T have their problems. I haven't seen ANY difference in service between them except that AT&T is better when I travel to Western States. Customer Service for Verizon was horrible so the slightly more competent AT&T customer service has been a nice change.
  • Reply 34 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

This is a tough crowd to please.

If AT&T did not ask for customer feedback, you'd be all over them. And now when they do, you complain. AT&T is doing exactly what they should: Identify the most critical problem areas, and allocate resources to correct them...ASAP. It's called "low hanging fruit". It increases customer satisfaction and reduces costs.....which is exactly what every company should do.

Dude - they've got more than enough customer feedback over the years - from customers, consumer reports, etc, etc. It's up to them alone to fix it. ENOUGH!
  • Reply 35 of 147
    Once they plot all of the points where the AT&T network has problems, they'll have a pretty impressive map.
  • Reply 36 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Once they plot all of the points where the AT&T network has problems, they'll have a pretty impressive map.

Like I have time to run this AT&T app- " Oh excuse me I have to run an app and issue a report to my cell phone carrier- I'll be with you in a minute."
  • Reply 37 of 147
    Quote:

Dude - they've got more than enough customer feedback over the years - from customers, consumer reports, etc, etc. It's up to them alone to fix it. ENOUGH!

This application will allow AT&T to help eliminate dead zones that are much more precise than, say, "New York". "New York" doesn't tell them which tower, which antennae, which frequency to focus on.
  • Reply 38 of 147
    Quote:

is it a case of piling on? is it a case where people dont read anymore? is it a lack of cognitive thinking? I dont know I guess all those are possible....short of calling people names about their intellect or lack of it let me just repost what was in the article that people are commenting on

"Submit a report after the fact when a customer is not at the place of event"

I dont know, maybe its just me but couldnt someone do this if they are not getting coverage in a particular area?

Thank you! Reading is a lost art, apparently. It boggles the mind.
  • Reply 39 of 147
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its the same characters making the same complaints they make on every thread about AT&T. These people largely don't use AT&T so its mystery why they complain so much.

Quote:

is it a case of piling on? is it a case where people dont read anymore? is it a lack of cognitive thinking? I dont know I guess all those are possible....short of calling people names about their intellect or lack of it let me just repost what was in the article that people are commenting on

"Submit a report after the fact when a customer is not at the place of event"

• Reply 40 of 147
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I seriously doubt Apple would let VZ publish an app into the App Store for the sole purpose of ridiculing AT&T's network. I seriously doubt most iPhone users would even be bothered with such an app. Why would AT&T publish an app that would actually help shore up its network to then discard the data?

Do people think before they post?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

AT&T already has this information. By creating this app, they are preventing another app by Verizon with this function from becoming popular. The difference is AT&T will discard the data, VZ would publish it.