'Mark the Spot' iPhone app aims to find AT&T trouble areas

Comments

• Reply 101 of 147
    heulenwolf and noexpectations,

By addressing both of you individually I am just attempting to clarify my earlier statements, which may have become lost in apparent hyperbole, and not to incite controversy or start a flame war. I will grant you that buildings, especially those with metal studs and other metallic structural components, can act like Faraday cages and at least partially shield inside electronics from external electromagnetic radiation (RF). However, the problem that I and others have encountered in the south San Francisco bay area can be so severe as to render cell phones useless.

Respectfully yours,

antediluvian
  • Reply 102 of 147
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cargillk View Post

It could be an effort to improve the service now that Verizon has embarassed them

You think?!?!
  • Reply 103 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

But then how are they going to get the location that is lacking in coverage?

This is not complicated. The app records the GPS coordinates of the spot of the error, and submits it when it has connectivity. Are people really so stupid they don't understand that?
  • Reply 104 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

This is a tough crowd to please.

If AT&T did not ask for customer feedback, you'd be all over them. And now when they do, you complain. AT&T is doing exactly what they should: Identify the most critical problem areas, and allocate resources to correct them...ASAP. It's called "low hanging fruit". It increases customer satisfaction and reduces costs.....which is exactly what every company should do.

Tekstud is not a crowd, though he likes to behave like one.
  • Reply 105 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It shouldn't require an App - plain and simple. If something fails - this info should be automatically sent to AT&T just like when your Mac applications fail. You're automatically asked if you want to send a report to Apple detailing the log, etc. AT&T is trying to reboot their image and this ap crap is lame. I for one am not using my HD to give AT&T a helping hand. I doubt the info they get will even get looked at for a long time. Is AT&T going to update us on how they intend to coorrect the situation. Hell no.

Uh... the only way for that to happen would be APPLE software, dumb dumb.
  • Reply 106 of 147
    bandwidth test at rioplex.com shows my crappy 3g service from att on my iphone.

this from inside a building under construction in northern indiana. i think you argument for penetration is BS jonhwhite

8.8 kbps\tdial-up\t

33.6 kbps\tdial-up\t

53.3 kbps\tdial-up\t

56 kbps\tISDN\t

128 kbps\tISDN\t

384 kbps\tDSL\t

768 kbps\tDSL\t

1000 kbps\tDSL\t

1276.1 kbps\tYOU\t

1500 kbps\tDSL/T1/Cable Modem
  • Reply 107 of 147
    Quote:

Like I have time to run this AT&T app- " Oh excuse me I have to run an app and issue a report to my cell phone carrier- I'll be with you in a minute."

Amazing, how do you find all the time to post 7 times in the first hour of this thread and yet not have the time to submit a problem report about a service you spend, ehem, so much time complaining about.

Weird!
  • Reply 108 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slcossio View Post

Not really trying to diss you, but in the time it took you to complain about AT&T in these forums, is the time it would've taken you to complain about AT&T to the the people in AT&T who can actually do something to help! (PS. Not saying AT&T has good coverage, just saying that if someone's gonna complain, complain to AT&T)

You don't seem to understand the complainer's mentality. The thought of complaining to fix something is foreign, because if the problem was fixed, there would be nothing left to complain about. And since that's all the complainer (there seems to be only one on this thread) wants, a fixed problem would be a very bad thing.
  • Reply 109 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

bandwidth test at rioplex.com shows my crappy 3g service from att on my iphone.

this from inside a building under construction in northern indiana. i think you argument for penetration is BS jonhwhite

8.8 kbps\tdial-up\t

33.6 kbps\tdial-up\t

53.3 kbps\tdial-up\t

56 kbps\tISDN\t

128 kbps\tISDN\t

384 kbps\tDSL\t

768 kbps\tDSL\t

1000 kbps\tDSL\t

1276.1 kbps\tYOU\t

1500 kbps\tDSL/T1/Cable Modem

It absolutely is NOT BS. 1900 Mhz has very little wall penetration. END OF STORY. Only the technically incompetent would ever disagree.
  • Reply 110 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

What about the rest of AT&Ts customers? They just gave the big FU to anyone that does not have an iPhone on their network.

They need a phone with an App store?
  • Reply 111 of 147
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

You say that as if you know VZW couldnt handle the iphone.

There's no device creating such huge demand as the iPhone on AT&T, so that creates a huge amount of doubt in my mind that any other provider could handle the iPhone in such numbers as AT&T is. I have further doubts about Verizon because they nickle-and-dime for everything, which suggests Verizon needs to moderate demand by charging for anything that would otherwise create more traffic than their network can handle. Then of course there's Verizon's $350 early termination fee, which is apparently necessary because Verizon knows its network and choice of devices just doesn't cut it for retaining customers.

Quote:

I love how AT&T is pinning this off on the customers to fix "Hey report it, and we might get to your area!"

Those are your words. It's not like AT&T is saying that at all.

Quote:

Atleast VZW has people that go all over the US to test their data and voice services, wish i could say the same about AT&T.

You say that as if you know AT&T doesn't do this, too, and neglecting the fact that AT&T's app now provides important information that Verizon doesn't have about how important specific areas of coverage are to its customers. Sorry, Verizon loses again.
  • Reply 112 of 147
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Verizon only declined it because Apple wanted a large chunk of everybodys monthly bill.

Apple wanted more control over the styling and content on the iPhone than Verizon ever gave to handset manufacturers.

Verizon management lost out because of their own hubris.
  • Reply 113 of 147
    Quote:

Dude- do you know how many people actually use that data/voice BS that has suddenly become the only lame comeback to counter Verizon ? I would venture next to none. Who cares? I've never had any desire to interrupt a call and browse the web and I doubt most people do as well. Besides that and playing music in the background( a nice feature but hardly a real app ) why can't I browse the web and answer my text messages simulaneously. Why? Where the real multi app functionality? We'll probably get it in June to combat Plam , google, etc. but for now it's virtually non-existent. Your pom pom chearleading is what's really juvenile not my stating what should be included on my device. And where is tethering for that matter?

I don't get it - am I the only one who does it all the time? You realize what simultaneous data and voice means right? It means that if you're talking to someone, you can forward to them that email that you just got, or you can look up the address of the movie you are going to meet them at, or you can pull up opentable to get a reservation. Or you can be sitting on hold with India for one thing or another and still open a web browser. You really think this is not common? I bet you'd have a hard time finding someone who doesn't use it.
  • Reply 114 of 147
    Quote:

Ok- I'm on the internet or let say the Apple Remote app. Bing- up pops a text message and to answewr it I have to back out aswer and - then relaunch whatever app i was in prior and wait for it toregister. You just can't swipe /back swipe from app to app- true multi app functionality.

What happened on the web page or Remote while you were gone for those 30 seconds? Anything? Did the song stop? Did the web cease to exist?
  • Reply 115 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Here's my no service list for both Verizon and AT&T (these are some of the wealthiest communities in the world) :

1. Most of Malibu

2. Most of Pacific Palisades

3. All of Brentwood when 3/4 mile north of Sunset Boulevard

4. All of Bel Air when 3/4 miles north of Sunset Boulevard

5. All of Beverly Hills 3/4 miles north of Sunset Boulevard

6. Parts of the Hollywood Hills

Thing about wealthy communities.... they tend to organize effectively to PREVENT cell phone tower expansion. Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face!
  • Reply 116 of 147
    Quote:

Verizon only declined it because Apple wanted a large chunk of everybodys monthly bill. Pure typical Steve Jobs greed has resulted in a beautiful product giving less reliable service than we would otherwise have.

One of the most asinine comments I have ever heard.

Love to see you prove it.
  • Reply 117 of 147
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I don't get it - am I the only one who does it all the time? You realize what simultaneous data and voice means right? It means that if you're talking to someone, you can forward to them that email that you just got, or you can look up the address of the movie you are going to meet them at, or you can pull up opentable to get a reservation. Or you can be sitting on hold with India for one thing or another and still open a web browser. You really think this is not common? I bet you'd have a hard time finding someone who doesn't use it.

I?d say that almost of use this feature and many didn?t even realize that Verizon and Sprint don?t have this option.

What?s funny is that it was only a few weeks ago, supposedly several months after he got an iPhone on AT&T, that he wondered how you could even do data whilst on a call. Apparently he couldn?t understand how you could have your phone display up and have any other app running at the same time. The mind boggles.
  • Reply 118 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?d say that almost of use this feature and many didn?t even realize that Verizon and Sprint don?t have this option.

What?s funny is that it was only a few weeks ago, supposedly several months after he got an iPhone on AT&T, that he wondered how you could even do data whilst on a call. Apparently he couldn?t understand how you could have your phone display up and have any other app running at the same time. The mind boggles.

I didn't realize it until very recently. Thankfully I live in the DC area which has pretty good 3G coverage so I only find myself on edge rarely. When I'm driving from Old Town north on GW parkway is one of the few places where I regularly get Edge, and it drives me NUTS as I try to drive and find that I can't get any new emails. I can't imagine NEVER being able to do that. I don't know how ATT can better communicate it, because in the ads it really doesn't resonate, but that's a huge feature that I can't do without. I'd be really frustrated....
  • Reply 119 of 147
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It absolutely is NOT BS. 1900 Mhz has very little wall penetration. END OF STORY. Only the technically incompetent would ever disagree.

Previously you said almost zero now you're saying ver little. These, and other statements you've made are generalized hyperbole. You've qualified it with nothing other than suggesting that no one should disagree with you or be deemed "technically incompetent". The fact is 1900MHz is a shorter wave length that 850MHz which makes penetration through various objects harder. It does not mean that pretty much any structure at any distance from source will not penetrate with 1900MHz but will with 850MHz.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I don't know how ATT can better communicate it, because in the ads it really doesn't resonate, but that's a huge feature that I can't do without. I'd be really frustrated....

AT&T really needs new marketing. Their ads are pretty bad in every regard.
  • Reply 120 of 147
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1531529]Previously you said almost zero now you're saying ver little. These, and other statements you've made are generalized hyperbole. You've qualified it with nothing other than suggesting that no one should disagree with you or be deemed "technically incompetent". The fact is 1900MHz is a shorter wave length that 850MHz which makes penetration through various objects harder. It does not mean that pretty much any structure ant distance from a cell tower will not penetrate with 1900MHz but will with 850MHz.

To even question it PROVES you have ZERO background in Commications. That IS pure technical incompetence.