'Mark the Spot' iPhone app aims to find AT&T trouble areas

Comments

• Reply 121 of 147
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

To even question it PROVES you have ZERO background in Commications. That IS pure technical incompetence.

Not winning anyone over here, dude.

The ability for radio waves of various frequencies to propagate through solid materials depends on a host of factors. While it is undeniably true that lower frequencies can generally penetrate further than higher, to just baldly state that 1900MHz signals can't go through solid materials, or just barely can, is simply untrue. Some people on AT&T get cell service in their houses, some don't, depending on their particular circumstance.
  • Reply 122 of 147
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It should be noted, that these communities like many of the more pompous, will not let companies build the necessary towers. It is not always the wireless companies fault.

I think that there are spots for the equipment available, but it's expensive because of the cost of the real estate, low density and the need for redundancy due to the hilly topography. Here's a chance for Verizon or AT&T to score good customers.
  • Reply 123 of 147
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

To even question it PROVES you have ZERO background in Commications. That IS pure technical incompetence.

Where do you people come from? Is there a telegram that gets sent out when someone gets banned.
    MR JOHN WHITE

CONGRATS -(STOP)- YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED TO REPLACE ONLY PERSON LESS INTELLIGENT THAN YOU -(STOP)- NAME TECKSTUD -(STOP)- HE HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THREE DAYS DUE TO RAMPANT DOUCHEBAGGERY -(STOP)- WE NEED YOU TO CONTINUE WHERE HE LEFT OFF -(STOP)-

BROTHERHOOD OF TROLLS

1 UNDERBRIDGE WAY

NEW YORK CITY, NY

PS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE -(STOP)-
  • Reply 124 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Where do you people come from? Is there a telegram that gets sent out when someone gets banned.
    MR JOHN WHITE

CONGRATS -(STOP)- YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED TO REPLACE ONLY PERSON LESS INTELLIGENT THAN YOU -(STOP)- NAME TECKSTUD -(STOP)- HE HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THREE DAYS DUE TO RAMPANT DOUCHBAGERY -(STOP)- WE NEED YOU TO CONTINUE WHERE HE LEFT OFF -(STOP)-

BROTHERHOOD OF TROLLS

1 UNDERBRIDGE WAY

NEW YORK CITY, NY

PS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE -(STOP)-

• Reply 125 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

My principles won’t let me take credit for that. Start video at 9min:30sec to see source.
  • Reply 126 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My principles won?t let me take credit for that. Start video at 9min:30sec to see source.

Good source, though! Thanks for the link, I'm watching the episode.
  • Reply 127 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

I think that there are spots for the equipment available, but it's expensive because of the cost of the real estate, low density and the need for redundancy due to the hilly topography. Here's a chance for Verizon or AT&T to score good customers.

It is not that it is expensive. It is folks in the community that just say when somebody comes and asks about putting up a cell tower, "Not in my backyard" and there is no amount of money that will change their minds period.

Andof course i can all depend who was there first.

Great site ti see who is who and where. http://www.cellreception.com/towers/...h&state_abr=ca
  • Reply 128 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

To do so, it would require an army of engineers to literally walk over every square meter of this country with listening devices/probes.

But Verizon already does that! (Sheesh! You'd think people would watch TV!)

(yes, that's a joke -- yes I can't remember the last time I turned a TV on -- and yes, I apologize in advance if someone already said it -- I could not resist!)
  • Reply 129 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnexpectedBill View Post

But Verizon already does that! (Sheesh! You'd think people would watch TV!)

(yes, that's a joke -- yes I can't remember the last time I turned a TV on -- and yes, I apologize in advance if someone already said it -- I could not resist!)

That reminds me of this comical video?
    ? Worst Job Ever (NSFW: strong language)
  • Reply 130 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It is not that it is expensive. It is folks in the community that just say when somebody comes and asks about putting up a cell tower, "Not in my backyard" and there is no amount of money that will change their minds period.

Not really! There are lots of places for the equipment. For instance there are two large reservoirs in Bel Air owned by the City of Los Angeles. It's high up, has several facilities anyway. The cell equipment could easily be put far from homes and wouldn't be noticed. There are other public properties and reservoirs in the nearby communities I mentioned. I think the cell phone company just think that it's not worth it for the density.
  • Reply 131 of 147
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

No Wireless Carrier can identify all of their weak spots. To do so, it would require an army of engineers to literally walk over every square meter of this country with listening devices/probes..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

AT&T's app now provides important information that Verizon doesn't have about how important specific areas of coverage are to its customers. Sorry, Verizon loses again.

Even the army of engineers would not know which of the weak spots were important to AT&T's customers. AT&T spends billions of dollars every year in improving its network, but it still is not enough to eliminate every weak spot. Thus they have given their customers a means of helping them target the best places to spend the money (as Foo2 correctly observes). This application is really something iPhone users should embrace.

Improvements cannot be expected instantaneously, but I think they will be pretty quick, since AT&T would dearly love to impress Apple enough to persuade them to extend the iPhone exclusivity agreement.
  • Reply 132 of 147
    Quote:

Brother, if you can't even spell the word "communications," I don't know that I believe a single word out of your mouth relating TO communications.
  • Reply 133 of 147
    Historically Apple puter owners also needed access to a Windows machine for certain tasks. I still have a PC too. Now I see people carrying both an AT&T and a Verizon phone to insure coverage (when available).
  • Reply 134 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Not really! There are lots of places for the equipment. For instance there are two large reservoirs in Bel Air owned by the City of Los Angeles. It's high up, has several facilities anyway. The cell equipment could easily be put far from homes and wouldn't be noticed. There are other public properties and reservoirs in the nearby communities I mentioned. I think the cell phone company just think that it's not worth it for the density.

True

Quote:

Q: I have hill top property that would be great for a cellular tower. There's a road to the top and the site has electric power. How do I find someone to lease my location?

A: You think it might be great. But if a wireless company or tower company hasn't contacted you then you're probably out of luck. Using their own engineering studies, these folks decide where they want their towers and then they contact nearby landowners. They know about your hill already and most likely don't need it. Well, 99% of the time.

http://www.privateline.com/Cellbasics/leasinginfo.htm

Wireless carriers lease the towers from wireless tower companies.

http://www.cellularphonenews.com/wirelesstower.htm

You can build your own or lease your land. http://www.celltowerinfo.com/CellTow...onYourLand.htm

Lawyers abound. http://www.celltowerattorney.com/app...s-carrier.html

And your neighbors may not always agree or have issues that could delay. http://www.privateline.com/Cellbasics/leasinginfo.htm
  • Reply 135 of 147
    Quote:

It absolutely is NOT BS. 1900 Mhz has very little wall penetration. END OF STORY. Only the technically incompetent would ever disagree.

maybe 850 penetrates better, but i have the proof in my hand that says there is sufficient wall penetration to give me a great signal wherever i have been working with smoking fast 3g speed.

all your griping, whining and exaggerations wont change the cold hard fact.
  • Reply 136 of 147
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

The problem I have is that it is too little too late. When I first moved to DC, I immediately called AT&T to complain about the service. Here is how it went:

AT&T: Hello this is AT&T how can I help you?

Me: I just moved to the DC area and the coverage in my house is terrible, here is my address

AT&T: Well sir, our "map" shows full 3G coverage, your phone must be bad.

Me: I have three phones in the house and all of them do not work.

AT&T: Well sir then all your phones must be bad, our map says you should have coverage, anything else I can do for you today?

Me: Yes, do you have the number to Verizon?

With that kind of customer service I am supposed to believe they all of sudden will fix things because I plugged it into an app? Not likely, just a ploy to counter the Verizon attacks. I can guarantee many upon many customers call about bad service and nothing is done.

The same thing happened to me except that in my case I was calling Verizon. I got zero reception in my new apt in the middle of Manhattan with Verizon. And yes, she really did say the exact same thing.
  • Reply 137 of 147
    This is a good thing because that Verizon guy walking through my house checking the signal really freaks me out!
  • Reply 138 of 147
    Quote:

Absolutely TRUE. Tower data can reveal when calls were dropped and where the caller was and calls on which signal strength was low. Probably just an attempt to keep competitors from producing the same app and using the data to embarass ATT. Hopefully Verizon will produce an iPhone App I can use to help them with embarrasing ATT into finally fixing its subpar network.

I've seen several people post this... Do you actually think Apple would let Verizon post that app? They didn't let Motorola post the Droid app after all.

The towers can't tell exactly where you are. They also can't tell if you didn't have any coverage and couldn't make a call in the first place. This app also gives you the ability to vote. If they notice that half of Chicago wants to make calls at the beach then maybe the will do something about it.

BTW, they are improving their network. I can now ride the train (excluding the subway) without losing internet access or dropping a call. I hear subway coverage is coming.
  • Reply 139 of 147
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

The same thing happened to me except that in my case I was calling Verizon. I got zero reception in my new apt in the middle of Manhattan with Verizon. And yes, she really did say the exact same thing.

Last August I went on vacation with my family and I used that the Mobileconfig method to enable tethering (without jailbreaking) for the trip on both our iPhones. When I came back I forgot to remove it and calls started going directly to voicemail and visual voicemail didn't work. I called AT&T and Apple and spent few days fighting with them until I searched online and found that the problem was caused by the tethering work around. I removed the profile on both phones and they worked great

My experience with AT&T customer service is good so far. I filed an online complaint about slow data connection once and got a phone call the very next day. I also called them 2 weeks ago to cancel a phone line on my family account and they offered my $30 credit and 30 days to find someone to take over the line.
  • Reply 140 of 147
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Ummm....

No, guys, trees, which we can only find at our latitudes, can't really attenuate the signal so that you would be able to measure how quickly bars disappear from the screen of your phone.

No, guys, you will not use AT&T's app accurately and on the regular basis.