'Mark the Spot' iPhone app aims to find AT&T trouble areas

Comments

• Reply 81 of 147
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The problem with Teckstud is that constructive criticism of productive efforts mean nothing to them. He just wants to complain about everything. Even if AT&T?s network was perfect tomorrow in every possible way I am sure the best we?d hear from him is, ?it?s a little too late? and ?took them long enough?. I guess some people just like to be miserable.

It's only a good idea if Google does it kind of thing? Gotcha!
  • Reply 82 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So just because you use means everyone uses it. Like how often does that scenario ever occur unless you work in a toll booth? DUde - give it up!

actually quite a few people I know use it daily. Give up what? proving you are constantly wrong on everything? That your simplified over generalizations exist only in your mind? Once again you change the subject, that is about your whining and your choice to vent in the wrong arena...And when given the opportunity to add towards a positive result, you choose snark and more whining....DUDE YOU GIVE IT UP...
  • Reply 83 of 147
    So I downloaded and installed this app late last night... I reported a problem because the phone never works where I was and at 11:00 am I got a text message saying

"Thank you for reporting your issue. This will b extremely baluable as we continue to enhance our network and improve your experience." Anyone else get this? I wonder does this mean that they fixed it?
  • Reply 84 of 147
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shooin View Post

"Thank you for reporting your issue. This will b [ sic ] extremely baluable [ sic ] as we continue to enhance our network and improve your experience.”

Exactly as you quoted it?
  • Reply 85 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Here's my no service list for both Verizon and AT&T (these are some of the wealthiest communities in the world) :

1. Most of Malibu

2. Most of Pacific Palisades

3. All of Brentwood when 3/4 mile north of Sunset Boulevard

4. All of Bel Air when 3/4 miles north of Sunset Boulevard

5. All of Beverly Hills 3/4 miles north of Sunset Boulevard

6. Parts of the Hollywood Hills

Looked at AT&T's 3G map for Malibu (ZIP: 90265) and you are correct.

Looked for the same for Verizon. Couldn't find any as well. On the list of California communities that are supposed to have 3G coverage, the communities that you listed are absent also.

It should be noted, that these communities like many of the more pompous, will not let companies build the necessary towers. It is not always the wireless companies fault.
  • Reply 86 of 147
    I agree, if its a problem do something about it rather than just complain like my ex-girlfriend.
  • Reply 87 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

AT&T already has this information. By creating this app, they are preventing another app by Verizon with this function from becoming popular. The difference is AT&T will discard the data, VZ would publish it.

Absolutely TRUE. Tower data can reveal when calls were dropped and where the caller was and calls on which signal strength was low. Probably just an attempt to keep competitors from producing the same app and using the data to embarass ATT. Hopefully Verizon will produce an iPhone App I can use to help them with embarrasing ATT into finally fixing its subpar network.
  • Reply 88 of 147
    Houston is 850 Mhz so should work well. ATT does not plan to totally scrap their unreliable 1900 Mhz network(which is needed if 3G reliability is ever to become adequate)
  • Reply 89 of 147
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I understand what you're saying.

Yet:

1.) I'm talking about moving customers that experience call drops or service degradations.

The movement data in itself will provide enough additional information to greatly help triangulation.

And with the phone's ID AT&T knows exactly which customer moved from where to where.

You do realize a moving target is even more difficult to locate than a stationary one, and as mentioned previously, triangulation doesn't work without 3 towers in range. Did you ever try the Google Maps geolocation on the original iPhone sans GPS and sans Wi-Fi? Not very fast or accurate -- and not something to expect a service provider could do routinely.

Quote:

If AT&T sees statistically a lot of calls dropped and regained by people moving from very specific A to B areas, it should be easy enough for their technicians to follow this up pinpointing the exact issue.

It can be done from the data AT&T has had available for years.

I don't think so. If you say AT&T has the data and they're accurate, then you need to provide some compelling evidence.

Quote:

2.) While it is certainly nice to be able to provide feedback to AT&T, it is still up to AT&T to provide the service in the first place. Sure, 100% coverage is impossible, but I'd say 99% coverage should be expected within major metropolitan areas like Los Angeles or New York. But I am not seeing that. Not even close.

Buildings do cause trouble, especially for the higher frequencies. AT&T is moving 3G to 850 MHz where interference is less of a problem.

Quote:

3.) People also seem to forget too quickly that AT&T in 2008 alone made 10+ billion in profits.

You seem to have forgotten that those profits are for all of AT&T's operations, including landline services, on total revenues of $124 billion.

Quote:

Can't wait for the day the iPhone becomes available on other carriers!

I'm afraid you'll have to.
  • Reply 90 of 147
    If they are complaining YOU CAN BET 99% of them have experienced ATT.
  • Reply 91 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

The problem I have is that it is too little too late. When I first moved to DC, I immediately called AT&T to complain about the service. Here is how it went:

AT&T: Hello this is AT&T how can I help you?

Me: I just moved to the DC area and the coverage in my house is terrible, here is my address

AT&T: Well sir, our "map" shows full 3G coverage, your phone must be bad.

Me: I have three phones in the house and all of them do not work.

AT&T: Well sir then all your phones must be bad, our map says you should have coverage, anything else I can do for you today?

Me: Yes, do you have the number to Verizon?

With that kind of customer service I am supposed to believe they all of sudden will fix things because I plugged it into an app? Not likely, just a ploy to counter the Verizon attacks. I can guarantee many upon many customers call about bad service and nothing is done.

I ran into the same thing when I got an ATT laptop card for my Macbook Pro. I called and was told there was service yet could never get 3 g signal in my house. I cancelled service after the first week and now get strong signal with Verizon. Meanwhile my 3G iPhone has zero 3 g signal in the same house. That is the difference between a reliable Verizon 800 Mhz 3 g network and a totally crap unreliable 1900 Mhz network with almost zero wall penetration like ATT.
  • Reply 92 of 147
    Sounds good. These's a small problem. the porgress bar to download the app isnt moving beacuse I only have 1+- bar in suburban LA.

Hey AT&T mark this spot.
  • Reply 93 of 147
    Steve Jobs should be shot for sticking us iPhone users with ATT.
  • Reply 94 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antediluvian View Post

In silicon valley, specifically around Palo Alto and Stanford U., AT&T reception/signal strength is abysmal. N.B., that this is only a few miles away from Apple corporate headquarters in Cupertino, CA. When a friend of mine called AT&T to complain about this problem, he was asked, "Are you in a building? We don't guarantee reception in buildings." He next went outside and experienced the same problematic reception. Upon reporting this to AT&T he was next asked, "Are you near any trees? We don't guarantee reception near trees." Does this mean that AT&T only guarantees reception in open fields (presumably) in range of cell tower(s)? Unbelievable!

antediluvian

ATT is 1900 Mhz in most places so wall penetration is almost ZERO!!!
  • Reply 95 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

No one, not even our beloved Apple, can promise wireless signals thru buildings (even tinted glass reflects signals), thru trees, thru trucks, and up and around hills/valleys. Laws of physics can not be changed. Hence this App to help them spot troubles and implement solutions.

With an 850 Mhz network(like Verizon) it can usually be done with NO problems. With 1900 Mhz forget it.
  • Reply 96 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I use that feature all the time. It's sort of like "power windows"...you don't know how nice a feature is until you use it.

I use the iPhone for business and personal use. I run Cisco's WEBEX App almost every day. I can dial into a conference call AND view the data presentations live over 3G. All of the remote Verizon participants sit idle....only able to hear....hearing all of their sales opportunities evaporate. Thank you Apple and AT&T....you have put me at a competitive advantage.

Concurrent Voice/Data is PRICELESS. Verizon is so last century.

ROTFLMAO!!! Do you really expect us to believe you can get reliable 3G signal inside a building with a 1900 Mhz network? LOL!!!
  • Reply 97 of 147
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

But then how are they going to get the location that is lacking in coverage?

Perhaps the message is stored to send as soon as it can but knows where you were when you created the message? Just a really wild guess on my part.
  • Reply 98 of 147
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Steve Jobs should be shot for sticking us iPhone users with ATT.

That's pretty extreme! What would you do then to Verizon's executive team for having declined the iPhone (as if Verizon would be able to handle the bandwidth demands of the iPhone any better)? Nuke'em?
  • Reply 99 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

That's pretty extreme! What would you do then to Verizon's executive team for having declined the iPhone (as if Verizon would be able to handle the bandwidth demands of the iPhone any better)? Nuke'em?

Verizon only declined it because Apple wanted a large chunk of everybodys monthly bill. Pure typical Steve Jobs greed has resulted in a beautiful product giving less reliable service than we would otherwise have.
  • Reply 100 of 147
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

You say that as if you know VZW couldnt handle the iphone.

I love how AT&T is pinning this off on the customers to fix "Hey report it, and we might get to your area!" Atleast VZW has people that go all over the US to test their data and voice services, wish i could say the same about AT&T.