Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 202
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I meant to say with the Exception of mactripper

Considering how emotional people get about mice, I'd say the trolling factor in here is rather low all things considered. The mouse is not perfect. I tried to use it for month and finally got a new mouse last week. It was just too irritating, although I did love the tracking. It felt very precise and it doesn't have that annoying 'wake-up' factor that is common with bluetooth mice. Other than that though, it irritates too much to be usable for heavy day to day use.
  • Reply 42 of 202
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macadocious View Post

Free download to enable those features: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...agicprefs.html

Totally cool. I wish they were making this easier to find so everyone would know about it.
  • Reply 43 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MisatosAngel View Post

That is a somewhat subjective opinion. I can think of several bits of hardware (most first-gen in each respective category, in fact) that Apple has got more than a little bit `wrong'. I agree though that they are good at refining over time. Also on the OS side (just to pick one example from a numerous list), I still pine for having properly network exported multi-user remote login and display like X11 and/or even MS RDP. [and yes, I realise the average home user wouldn't even know what this is, let alone want it...]

Yeah I'm not a huge Fan of the mouse concept in general since laptops trackpads have evolved. Though I'm seriously considering a Top End iMac for Photography purposes & HD Video so it's nice to see this revolutionary device as a standard option.

Quote:

Actually, I want it to have 4TB SSD with a TDP of 1W and at least a 50hr battery life. Anything else is just like... totally lame. Oh, it needs to be able to power my car too. Over the air. From home.

Quote:

Again (subjectively) I hate wireless, and hope that Apple does refine the mighty-mouse to be wired (or at least have the option). Without that, I will not touch it with a barge pole. Even if it can remotely power my car. As to the mouse itself though, it is good to see Apple have appealed to a reasonable number of users. It would be interesting to see how many of those who bought the micky-um, magic mouse were upgrading from a previous Apple [not so mighty?] mouse, a different brand or even as an external mouse for a laptop, As a predominantly laptop user myself though, I don't see the appeal in that category as it lacks for me the additional gesture support of the trackpads.

I never understood why some pros or even home users use a mouse with a laptop
  • Reply 44 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Considering how emotional people get about mice, I'd say the trolling factor in here is rather low all things considered. The mouse is not perfect. I tried to use it for month and finally got a new mouse last week. It was just too irritating, although I did love the tracking. It felt very precise and it doesn't have that annoying 'wake-up' factor that is common with bluetooth mice. Other than that though, it irritates too much to be usable for heavy day to day use.

I'm open (like you were) to the new mouse, but if it becomes a headache I'll be glad to go wired. Your right the mouse isn't perfect but its a great start to something better in the pipeline. NO DEVICE is perfect cause if it were, WE WOULD NEVER HAVE ANYMORE APPLE EVENTS ..... I PERSONALLY COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT THAT
  • Reply 45 of 202
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:

I never understood why some pros or even home users use a mouse with a laptop

you get more precision with a mouse than a touchpad. and there's the "i dont like touchpads" reasoning.
  • Reply 46 of 202
    I'm actually quite a fan of the Magic Mouse. I wasn't so big on the Mighty Mouse (I actually hated that one). It took me a day or two to get used to the new low profile, but something about it feels really nice, now. It's a fairly basic mouse ? only having two buttons ? but my mouse complexity needs are pretty standard. I LOVE the two finger swipe to go back and the scrolling without a wheel/ball is phenomenal. The bottom of the mouse can sound a little scratchy, but besides that, I love the thing. This is the first Apple mouse I've ever really dug.
  • Reply 47 of 202
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I find it bizarre that an Apple mouse made for Mac only, and supported fully only on Snow Leopard Macs, outsells more obvious mouse choices like Kensington, Targus, and even Razer. Probably temporary, but interesting. I do love the scrolling on it?SO much better than any other mouse. I wish it had more buttons for gamers, but I have a 12-button Logitech for that. So?no Magic Mouse for me yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Add middle click and the expose/dashboard functionality lost from the mighty mouse and it would do far better than double.

I say, just let us re-assign 2-finger swipes, in all FOUR directions, to whatever we want. Just like you could do with the old Mighty Mouse buttons. (Plus assigning keystrokes, please!)

Side-swiping is awkward and best reserved for seldom-used functions (much like the old Mighty Mouse side buttons). And I understand why the don?t let you program swipe up/down: they want you to be able to scroll with 2 fingers instead of 1, because you probably have that habit from Apple laptops. But give us an option to put Exposé stuff on instead. And/or enable 3-finger swiping, which works great foe Exposé on Apple laptops.
  • Reply 48 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

you get more precision with a mouse than a touchpad. and there's the "i dont like touchpads" reasoning.

I overlooked both and especially the latter (which is probably obvious enough). Thanks Zep
  • Reply 49 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A lot more people who like it bother writing reviews.

No.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA538LL/B

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC...co=MTM1MDcxOTQ

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MTMzNzYzMzc

MagSafe reviews from 2007, before Apple fixed it:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA...co=MTA4NTg4MDQ

Battery (728 reviews):

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA...co=MTA4NTI5OTE

Surprisingly enough, not everyone's a fan:

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC...co=MTI2NzQzMzQ
  • Reply 50 of 202
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Huh, no one has mentioned the Windows hack

I've been using a Magic Mouse on my Windows 7 HTPC for nearly a month, no multi touch, but it's pretty sweet.

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2009/11/14588/
  • Reply 51 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Add middle click and the expose/dashboard functionality lost from the mighty mouse and it would do far better than double.

Download BetterTouchTool. It is free and being (very) actively developed. It adds loads of gestures to the Magic Mouse. I've for example used it to assign a three fingered click to cmd-click and a two-finger tap to application expose and three-finger tap to expose.
  • Reply 52 of 202
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes and it was called the "Mighty Mouse"

A abortion of a mouse like I have never seen before.

So you thought this was a good mouse?

• Reply 53 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Sometimes when you push the envelope and make innovation a priority, you're liable to go in some odd directions. I'm more forgiving with Apple in this regard.
  • Reply 54 of 202
    Quote:

I forgot about this ... Quadra is right though
  • Reply 55 of 202
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:

i think i took one of my high school's broken one, ripped the cord off, and played hallway hockey with it.
  • Reply 56 of 202
    citycity Posts: 522member
    I want an iPhone that's also a mouse.
  • Reply 57 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

I want an iPhone that's also a mouse.

Close . . .

Appe Store ---> Search ---> "remote" or "trackpad"
  • Reply 58 of 202
    Quote:

The quotes above me validate my statements. A positive discussion or a discussion on how Apple can improve it's current hardware is always welcomed... but the comments above are not and fall into the category of Drive-by Trolling IMO.

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MACTRIPPER ACTUALLY

Well since you brought my name into it.

You see, I've used Apple mice, Microsoft mice and the lovely Logitech mice for years, since Apple Computer came out with that first square brick of a mouse with the single click button on top.

I've cleaned zillions of mouse balls and rollers, know all about human oils, it's natural transfer and how it hardens in mice, getting picked up from mouse pads, and even how it hardens around the water line in hot tubs etc.

The Mighty Mouse had a roller scroll ball on the top with tiny, hard to handle, inaccessible rollers inside, so any hair, dirt or human oils could not be cleaned off the device without opening and ruining the device, although somebody did post a detailed surgery method that could clean the device and superglue it back together.

So I accurately predicted that people would have a problem with the device based upon this alone, not to mention the default setting that made even grabbing the new mouse do unexpected things as well as the difficulty right clicking etc.

Sure enough the complaints started rolling in over the years and people dumped the Mighty Mouse for something else.

So you see, some of us KNOW what we are talking about and we know Apple's tendency to just design a device or product based upon looks and style and not much upon usability or function. We can't always write a book for every Apple defender explaining in detail why some Apple products suck eggs, so you just have to take some people's word for it and hope Apple is listening and open to change.

If Apple would do some product testing they would know their mice and other things suck, but their marketing approach is to make things slim and stylish with a lot of eye candy and flashy reflections to induce a impulse luxury purchase, not so much on the usability or functionality. They tend to keep their future products a closely guarded secret until release, thus feeding the rumor mills and driving demand that way.

Apple has their particular marketing method and it works for their niche market approach, but I'm willing to bet Logitech has sold more mice in its short existence than Apple has sold (unbundled) in it's entire existence.

The most advanced, comfortable, easy to use and human friendly mice I have ever used have been from Logitech.

The fanciest, valueless and most uncomfortable mice have been from Apple.

The uglyist and cheapest, but very functional mice, have been from Microsoft.
  • Reply 59 of 202
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Could you point me to the spot in the article where they called the Magic Mouse a good mouse? It has had good sales for a while now. That doesn't make it a quality product. McDonald's food isn't a quality product but it sells really well too.

You have a point, they didn?t, but on the flip side McDonald?s also doesn?t cost more than a high-end steak house which does indicate that the Magic Mouse is liked, not just used because it?s cheap and convenient.

Nice!

PS: If you put your IMG tag and links within the URL tag you can hyperlink the image, just like with HTML.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A lot more people who like it bother writing reviews.

It seems people are quicker to complain than compliment so I have to assume that the product is being well received.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by root View Post

Download BetterTouchTool. It is free and being (very) actively developed. It adds loads of gestures to the Magic Mouse. I've for example used it to assign a three fingered click to cmd-click and a two-finger tap to application expose and three-finger tap to expose.

Quote:

image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._USB_mouse.jpg

HAHA
  • Reply 60 of 202
    Quote:

See again. Nothing constructive in her entire post.

This person needs to just build there own mouse or don't label one product to the next.... Here's what they should have said

Caliminius: " I used Apple's MM once and didn't have a great experience, I may try it out in there stores but until then I'll stick with other manufactures "

You don't say crappy or POS (Another poster said this not her).... Thats what I mean by positive and constructive posting.

Thanks for telling me what I should write.

The Mighty Mouse is/was a crappy POS. I've used one quite extensively, thank you very much, not just once. As I said in my OP, I'm struggling with the POS when I try to use my iMac until I buy a replacement. The scroll ball is easily a terrible design as it gets gunk in it way too easily and they've made it nearly impossible to clean properly so any fix for it is a very temporary fix. Likewise the shape is not very ergonomic and extended use makes my hand cramp up. The side pressure buttons were impossible for me to reach without removing my hand from the mouse. And right-clicking is an easy route to frustration.

If the first Microsoft mouse I bought had sucked as much as the Mighty Mouse, I would never have bought another Microsoft mouse. Given the poor user experience, Apple doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with the Magic Mouse.