Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks

Comments

• Reply 61 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

If the first Microsoft mouse I bought had sucked as much as the Mighty Mouse, I would never have bought another Microsoft mouse. Given the poor user experience, Apple doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with the Magic Mouse.

Perhaps they should, given the evidence.

Why not buy one just to test it? Hang on to the receipt, box, and pamphlet(s), and return in 30 days if you don't like it. Best Buy has this policy, for example.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: If you put your IMG tag and links within the URL tag you can hyperlink the image, just like with HTML.

Ah, thank you.
  • Reply 62 of 202
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I guess you must have a Magic Mouse and used it extensively to able to arrive at such a stern conclusion. I personally do not remember seeing any mouse that features a multi-touch surface other than Apple's new mouse, if you do can you share a link?

That depends on whether multi-touch is really that much of a priority. I'm sure it's quite nice, but I don't think it's for everyone. Then there's the ergonomics, one size doesn't fit all, it's probably good for 50 to 80 percent of users, but too big or small for those outside that range.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Did you read the article? Might help to put an <anecdotal> tag after your post to help others distinguish reality from opinion.

Somehow, I understood that it was just a person's opinion.

If people have a positive opinion, should they too be expected to use an anecdotal tag? Somehow, I doubt it, it's really a double standard in disguise as far as I can tell.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A lot more people who like it bother writing reviews.

In general, people seem a lot more likely to go about complaining about a product if they don't like it. The happy users tend to just use their product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

you get more precision with a mouse than a touchpad. and there's the "i dont like touchpads" reasoning.

I'm like that myself. If I'm just on a couch fiddling around the web, I'll use the touch pad, if I'm doing work, I'll use a mouse and computer on a table or desk. I wouldn't give up the touch pad, but it's not for everything either.
  • Reply 63 of 202
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:

Perhaps they should, given the evidence.

Why not buy one just to test it? Hang on to the receipt, box, and pamphlet(s), and return in 30 days if you don't like it. Best Buy has this policy, for example.

didnt it come with the system itself?
  • Reply 64 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I never understood why some pros or even home users use a mouse with a laptop

Because a mouse allows greater precision and comfort with the ability to increase functionality and programmable buttons.

I saw a guy who had a four button mouse, scroll ball, thumb scroll and god knows what else.

Did a lot of video work and it saved him time, he hardly ever touched the keyboard, so having his hand on the side, arm in a straight line, instead of twisted and strained to access a center mounted trackpad, was more comfortable and less a chore during long hours.
  • Reply 65 of 202
    Quote:

didnt it come with the system itself?

Yes. It comes separately as well.
  • Reply 66 of 202
    Quote:

Thanks for telling me what I should write.

Your Welcome . I'll be glad to help you again or anyone else for that matter.
  • Reply 67 of 202
    Quote:

Yes. It comes separately as well.

right. but then if it came with the system, he cant exactly return that portion can he?
  • Reply 68 of 202
    Yeah, the Magic Mouse is a marked improvement over the Mighty mouse and any other previous Apple mouse. But that's where the praise needs to stop.

It absolutely sucks compared to anything else. Tracking is poor on most surfaces, scrolling (or smearing on this mouse) is awful, the shape is not ergonomic, and the material for the runners isn't even low-friction. It's just plain awful, and I want my money back.

Logitech's mouse software drivers may blow, but their hardware is solid. My two year old VX Nano is way, way better even without all the buttons assigned special functions.

My bet is that most people buying this mouse haven't spent much time with it before hand and made their purchase to get the latest thing. I certainly did, and I regret it.

PS: Oh, then there is the environmentally unfriendly and useless plastic packaging it comes in. As much plastic as in the mouse, and no way to use it for some other purpose. There's no snap or hinge to hold the lid in place - my kids wouldn't even play with it. What an incredible waste!
  • Reply 69 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Because a mouse allows greater precision and comfort with the ability to increase functionality and programmable buttons.

I saw a guy who had a four button mouse, scroll ball, thumb scroll and god knows what else.

Did a lot of video work and it saved him time, he hardly ever touched the keyboard, so having his hand on the side, arm in a straight line, instead of twisted and strained to access a center mounted trackpad, was more comfortable and less a chore during long hours.

WOW another side I didn't notice. Efficiency ... I guess to each his/her own and I def respect that!
  • Reply 70 of 202
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It seems people are quicker to complain than compliment so I have to assume that the product is being well received.

Fanboy, please.
  • Reply 71 of 202
    Quote:

right. but then if it came with the system, he cant exactly return that portion can he?

Probably not. But since he admitted he's never used one, I'm guessing he bought a system that didn't come with a Magic Mouse. Unless you mean it in general terms.
  • Reply 72 of 202
    Quote:

Thanks for telling me what I should write.

The Mighty Mouse is/was a crappy POS.

When can we expect you to release an amazing competitor to the Magic Mouse???

You obviously have superb expertise in the area of Mouse development. To con't say it's Crappy and a POS. "Hate Speech shows the Heart, your Heart reflects you, and from what I see there's nothing to look at " - Protestor for equality
  • Reply 72 of 202
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

Yeah, the Magic Mouse is a marked improvement over the Mighty mouse and any other previous Apple mouse. But that's where the praise needs to stop.

It absolutely sucks compared to anything else. Tracking is poor on most surfaces, scrolling (or smearing on this mouse) is awful, the shape is not ergonomic, and the material for the runners isn't even low-friction. It's just plain awful, and I want my money back.

Logitech's mouse software drivers may blow, but their hardware is solid. My two year old VX Nano is way, way better even without all the buttons assigned special functions.

My bet is that most people buying this mouse haven't spent much time with it before hand and made their purchase to get the latest thing. I certainly did, and I regret it.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This isn't just opinion, the Magic Mouse is all of those things.
  • Reply 74 of 202
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:

I've never used a Magic Mouse, but after dealing with Apple's Mighty (crappy) Mouse, I have no trust that they can make a quality mouse.

So you have no grounds to say shite about the mouse. I own one and it is the best mouse I have ever used in my entire life and is perfect for tasks like Photoshop.
  • Reply 75 of 202
    Quote:

PS: Oh, then there is the environmentally unfriendly and useless plastic packaging it comes in. As much plastic as in the mouse, and no way to use it for some other purpose. There's no snap or hinge to hold the lid in place - my kids wouldn't even play with it. What an incredible waste!

This is no more useful. At least the MM packaging is more tasteful. Perhaps the Logitech way is more environmentally friendly? I don't know . . .
  • Reply 76 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This isn't just opinion, the Magic Mouse is all of those things.

Seems it's just opinion after all.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...4&postcount=34
  • Reply 77 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I guess you must have a Magic Mouse and used it extensively to able to arrive at such a stern conclusion. I personally do not remember seeing any mouse that features a multi-touch surface other than Apple's new mouse, if you do can you share a link?

Hey, I can get a diamond encrusted iPod, but it won't play music any better.

You seem to think multitouch is such a great thing - a really revolutionary, useful feeature. Unfortunately, it's not for a mouse - at least the way it's implemented on this one.

I've had my MM for a month, and it is just plain awful - no matter how I futz with the settings. The only positive thing I can say about it is the battery life is pretty good compared to other BT mice.
  • Reply 78 of 202
    Quote:

Probably not. But since he admitted he's never used one, I'm guessing he bought a system that didn't come with a Magic Mouse. Unless you mean it in general terms.

more in general terms.
  • Reply 79 of 202
    Quote:

Hey, I can get a diamond encrusted iPod, but it won't play music any better.

You seem to think multitouch is such a great thing - a really revolutionary, useful feeature. Unfortunately, it's not for a mouse - at least the way it's implemented on this one.

I've had my MM for a month, and it is just plain awful - no matter how I futz with the settings. The only positive thing I can say about it is the battery life is pretty good compared to other BT mice.

Relieve yourself from the AWFUL PAIN oh disgruntled one. Here's a great alternative.

• Reply 80 of 202
    Quote:

This is no more useful. At least the MM packaging is more tasteful. Perhaps the Logitech way is more environmentally friendly? I don't know . . .

The MM packaging is MORE *tasteful*? Who cares? Really.

Sadly, the looks can't hide its environmental unfriendliness. The Magic Mouse has the single most wasteful packaging on a tech item I've seen in 5 years.

There's more plastic in the packaging than in the mouse - and it isn't recyclable. And it isn't even useful for something else, because the lid doesn't stay on. It's pathetic that Apple made such great strides in reducing plastic waste and packaging on its computers, but totally dropped the ball on this product.