Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 181 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

[url]If you can find an application on the Android platform that?s better than the iPhone counterpart, I?ll send you a BGR Ninja hat.

Have you got enough hats ready ? For example, Maps are much better on Android.
  • Reply 182 of 234
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...onal-thoughts/

But in the end, I found that the lack of any meaningful applications for Android really made it a no go from the beginning. I?m talking about quality ? re-read the word quality ? applications, here. The best VNC and RDP applications on Android are a joke. There?s not a single enjoyable Twitter application, and any application that?s on Android that is available on the iPhone pales in comparison. If you can find an application on the Android platform that?s better than the iPhone counterpart, I?ll send you a BGR Ninja hat.

Seriously Google, you take no responsibility for the actual ?experience? of this phone, yet you tout it as your tag line. Applications in Android Market don?t work for all devices. They have to be updated, they might not work with a new resolution, or all touch screen display ? try using one of those NES/SNES emulators on the Nexus One ? the comments and ?reviews? on apps are worse than Sidekick user?s AIM screen names, there?s no authority and no accountability in Market, and outside of people that know what they?re doing, you?re basically leading the rest into a forest with wolves in the dark, while they?re bleeding and blindfolded. Why does the VNC application I bought and paid for crash on the Nexus One with a Java.IO error? Because your entire OS is fragmented, poorly driven, poorly policed, and because in typical Google fashion, you?re already on to the next thing before making this an absolutely flawless experience for users. What happened to ferociously making sure the absolute core applications in your package were 100% perfect before shipping? BlackBerry?s email application is flawless. Apple?s web browser is flawless. But there?s not a single application on Android that doesn?t have carbon spots in it. (Look it up)

Here?s another issue on why for the foreseeable future Android won?t be anything like what Apple or another company can offer: coders aren?t designers. It?s really as simple as that and anyone in the business will know exactly what I?m talking about. That?s why Apple?s entire developer ecosystem is different, because believe it or not, Apple?s developers are amazing designers that make beautiful things, and they happen to know how to code. That?s entirely different from someone who?s the best coder in the world and trying to create something that looks, works, and feels great. And so, this is my issue with Android and why you won?t see applications of iPhone-quality on Android aside from any SDK and programming hurdles.

If an app like Tweetie 2 existed on Android, I think the Android Market would literally crash, die, burn, and hang itself by how natural, beautiful, and thoughtful that application is. Now, multiply something like that 5,000 times and you?ll have an idea of why all this Android hype amounts to very little. We have the best Android device ever made in the history of the world, finally! Oh wait, Apple?s event is in 2 weeks and no one will remember this. Until Android 2.2 launches with a new device. Then I?ll write another review.

Very very interesting. Thanks. I'll read the whole thing, and part 1 as well.
  • Reply 183 of 234
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member
    Solip,

Can I ask if you have ever owned an android device or spent any reasonable amount of time with a Droid or Nexus One? Not trying to come across like jerk, just curious.

Looking at the facebook apps on either platform, I would agree the iphone version is further developed. Can't say the same for Twitterific or Twitterfon. Maybe I need a pay app? I'm just as happy with Twidroid or Swift on Android.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Have you used them on both devices? There is nothing ?killer? about those poorly designed apps for Android. Tecnically having the app isn?t the same as having a killer app.

• Reply 184 of 234
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Have you got enough hats ready ? For example, Maps are much better on Android.

I much prefer Maps on the iPhone over every other Android. Lack of multitouch, less refinement all around. It?s just much better thought out on the iPhone. The whole Latitudes thing is a novelty. Speaking your address may be useful to some, and that is great, but I?d wager most people simply don?t use the voice command features of their phones.

The ?closed system? about the iPhone you spit at does have the advantage of have the ?integrated system? that you ignore which makes integrating map access into all other aspects of the device very elegant. Everything on Android feels like it was thought of by a committee of coders and then beaten into place without a single regard for the consumer or actual usability, only what can be printed out on a spec sheet.
  • Reply 185 of 234
    He raises many valid points, sure, but when he goes into 'designer vs coder', as if no one in silicon valley except apple employees can create well designed products, my eyes start to roll.

iphone OS is more polished, it's more developed, yes it is. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it doesn't compensate for the restrictions and high cost.

Quote:

• Reply 186 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Solip,

Can I ask if you have ever owned an android device or spent any reasonable amount of time with a Droid or Nexus One? Not trying to come across like jerk, just curious.

Looking at the facebook apps on either platform, I would agree the iphone version is further developed. Can't say the same for Twitterific or Twitterfon. Maybe I need a pay app? I'm just as happy with Twidroid or Swift on Android.

HTC G1, Moto Droid, Pre and Storm 1, yes, but all returned within trial period. Nexus One, HTC Droid Eris, Pixi and Storm 2, no. Would like to play with Nexus One but won’t be testing this one out. I think I’m done with trying out new phones unless something really striking comes along. It’s not expensive, but it can be a hassle.

Check out Tweetie 2. Nothing on Android comes close to it, but nothing else on the iPhone comes close to it either so perhaps we should call that a push or instead question why that app isn’t at Market.
    Beejive is a great IM client. So good that I paid $10 for it after trying it out for free on my jailbroken iPhone. (I hope that Apple includes an app trial period option for developers. It;s not like they don’t have the technology since FairPlay movie rentals use exploding media DRM.) Beejive looks busy in those screenshots but only to show off the options.
    PS: Both have Push Notifications as an option so you can be connected without running the apps. Now all Apple has to do is make their notification system more inline with Android and WebOS, an area they clearly trounce the iPhone.
  • Reply 187 of 234
    Quote:

He raises many valid points, sure, but when he goes into 'designer vs coder', as if no one in silicon valley except apple employees can create well designed products, my eyes start to roll.

iphone OS is more polished, it's more developed, yes it is. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it doesn't compensate for the restrictions and high cost.

He’s not saying that others “can’t”, merely that others usually “don’t”. Check out this meeting with the Segway. It gives some good insights into how Steve Jobs thinks and why Apple is in the place it is today.
    Quote:

"What does everyone think about the design?" asked Doerr, switching subjects.

"What do you think?" said Jobs to Tim. It was a challenge, not a question.

"I think it's coming along," said Tim, "though we expect—" "I think it sucks!" said Jobs.

His vehemence made Tim pause. "Why?" he asked, a bit stiffly.

"It just does."

"In what sense?" said Tim, getting his feet back under him. "Give me a clue."

"Its shape is not innovative, it's not elegant, it doesn't feel anthropomorphic," said Jobs, ticking off three of his design mantras.

"You have this incredibly innovative machine but it looks very traditional." The last word delivered like a stab. Doug Field and Scott Waters would have felt the wound; they admired Apple's design sense. Dean's intuition not to bring Doug had been right. "There are design firms out there that could come up with things we've never thought of," Jobs continued, "things that would make you shit in your pants."

PS: Is you restrictions and cost comment referring to price and/or time for developers and/or consumers?
  • Reply 188 of 234
    To the contrary. Latitude is the bomb. It's not something you actively use like a game or email, it's most useful for me when I'm curious to know where one of my latitude buddies is, like if we're planning to meet. I don't have to call or text, I just see where they are. Other than that, it's great during that 'dead time' at the dentist, etc. I find it pretty entertaining now with about 12 friends in my list to go thru them all and watch the map fly around. I'd say I use it 4 or 5 times a week and really like it. Don't spend a lot of time with it, but it's awesome to have.

There is now a feature where it will notify two people if you are near each other at a time when you normally are not. It learns your normal routine for the first week or so. Not a novelty, not at all. It's very cool. Very apple like.

Voice commands. Invaluable when driving and need to input nav destination, when searching the web with a long search string or to draft an important message(s) while driving. It's very fast and accurate too. Google makes it easy in each case with a mic button on the keyboard for input in any text field and in the car nav interface.

Quote:

The whole Latitudes thing is a novelty. Speaking your address may be useful to some, and that is great, but I?d wager most people simply don?t use the voice command features of their phones.

• Reply 189 of 234
    Apple's chosen path of restricting apps leads directly to higher cost for consumers relative to all other handset makers.

Quote:

PS: Is you restrictions and cost comment referring to price and/or time for developers and/or consumers?

• Reply 190 of 234
    Quote:

Apple's chosen path of restricting apps leads directly to higher cost for consumers relative to all other handset makers.

You?re honestly trying to say that the Apple?s App Store apps are more expensive for consumers despite the clear evidence that they are cheaper than other platforms?
  • Reply 191 of 234
    Beejive is great. You're right.

It's pretty clear that the iPhone will be on Verizon this summer, if I'm not being overly optimistic. It will be very interesting to see what other changes come to the ecosystem. Android is the greatest threat and continues to grow, but competition is good for us all. I look forward to apple laying down something irresistible.

Quote:

Beejive is a great IM client. So good that I paid $10 for it after trying it out for free on my jailbroken iPhone. (I hope that Apple includes an app trial period option for developers. It;s not like they don?t have the technology since FairPlay movie rentals use exploding media DRM.) Beejive looks busy in those screenshots but only to show off the options.

PS: Both have Push Notifications as an option so you can be connected without running the apps. Now all Apple has to do is make their notification system more inline with Android and WebOS, an area they clearly trounce the iPhone.

• Reply 192 of 234
    No, I'm saying that by restricting apps like GV force the customer to pay a higher monthly rate.

I haven't investigated app pricing, but I've spent less than $5 on my ipod touch, droid and blackberries combined. (wait, I bought vlingo on bb, paid $18, crazy I know)

Quote:

You?re honestly trying to say that the Apple?s App Store apps are more expensive for consumers despite the clear evidence that they are cheaper than other platforms?

• Reply 193 of 234
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its because there are several different apps that basically do the same thing. The specific way Google Voice works may be unique, but its purpose is not. The purpose of all of the alternative voice/text apps is to save people money on voice/text. That is not unique to Google Voice.

Every app may accomplish this task in different ways, but my point is its essentially what they all do.

Quote:

I made a simple claim that GV functionality cannot be duplicated with other apps. You counter, but never explain. I know of other IM apps like AIM and there are GV calling workarounds, but they really don't stand up. That's like me saying android has a music player just like itunes. Yes, it plays songs and playlists.

GV has the potential to save people 25 to 50% on their cell bill, cut it in half! This is real money, not to be overlooked. More with Navigation, more with background location services.

• Reply 194 of 234
    How does Google Voice on a Verizon Droid save you money if you are in Europe?

An AT&T iPhone with Skype or Vonage can save you money in Europe.

Quote:

No, I'm saying that by restricting apps like GV force the customer to pay a higher monthly rate.

• Reply 195 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by absolutshame View Post

As far as iPhone and Android apps, most are child's play which is why I gave my Droid to my wife, she needs a simple phone much like most iPhone consumers.

I work in the film/video industry. My industry is becoming over run with the iPhone/iTouch because of the rich number of excellent apps that can be used in productions. That are not available on any other mobile platform.

Quote:

Neither iPhone or Android are capable of playing all video formats-sad. Neither can tether wireless free of charge-another fail.

There is no need for a phone to play all video formats. You would understand that if you understood the difference between video codecs. H.264 is the most efficient video codec for playback on a device with limited resources and limited battery life.

Quote:

Apple cons-regulated to iTunes, not sure why people see this as a plus when I can download any movie/app or music title free of charge over the internet on WinMo. Also the lack of many basic smartphone features is not excused by taking years to implement on a higher quality, it should not take years to add copy/paste/SMS,tethering,video recording and other basic features.

Actually you can put any video or audio content you choose on the iPhone, you don't have to purchase it.

Apple chooses to take its time in implementing features when they feel it works the way they want it to work. Simply because you see no value in that methodology does not mean it has no value. The high consumer rating for the iPhone and the relatively medium to low consumer rating for most every other phone shows the difference.

Quote:

Android cons-at this point regulated to MP4, which is fine if you have no plans on streaming video to television.

I'm sorry, you really have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Reply 196 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I work in the film/video industry. My industry is becoming over run with the iPhone/iTouch because of the rich number of excellent apps that can be used in productions. That are not available on any other mobile platform.

That's a point that has merit, if you have apps, that are only available there, its clearly best platform for you. Can you provide some names of the applications ? I wonder how long it will it take get these applications on other platforms too.
  • Reply 197 of 234
    Quote:

There is Fring, which works on Skype network and SIPDroid and both work very well in Europe. Plus Skype on iPhone is really painful as you appear offline once your application is not in the foreground.
  • Reply 198 of 234
    Quote:

I much prefer Maps on the iPhone over every other Android. Lack of multitouch, less refinement all around. It?s just much better thought out on the iPhone. The whole Latitudes thing is a novelty. Speaking your address may be useful to some, and that is great, but I?d wager most people simply don?t use the voice command features of their phones.

If you discount the superior features of Maps on Android and say the iPhone version is better because of multitouch (nice, but OK to live without) and unspecified "refinement" without having those features, that are available on Android, really qualifies you as Fanboy. Hey, iPhone's great and the transition effects are second to none, but try to be a little objective at least in some evident cases like this one.

Quote:

The ?closed system? about the iPhone you spit at does have the advantage of have the ?integrated system? that you ignore which makes integrating map access into all other aspects of the device very elegant. Everything on Android feels like it was thought of by a committee of coders and then beaten into place without a single regard for the consumer or actual usability, only what can be printed out on a spec sheet.

Funny. I don't know how "closed system" integrates application better. Android has application integration built in. Thats BTW another great feature of Maps...it can be used as "system component" by third party. Need to display turn-by-turn navigation how to get somewhere from your application ? No need to code this, just call Maps. Unlike on iPhone, on Android it really feels integrated (at least you can get easily back to point where you came from).
  • Reply 199 of 234
    You wouldn't buy a Droid if you needed to make calls in Europe, but I suppose you could make skype calls over wifi or using Sipdroid may be cheaper.

Quote:

• Reply 200 of 234
    GV allows you to make calls using the standard dialer/phonebook and shows your caller ID. There is a robust suite of call control options. It allows you to send/rcv sms with the same number without an sms plan from the carrier. This is seamless integration. There is no iphone app that does this.

GV gives you control of your incoming calls before they hit the carrier network. Forwarding calls somewhere does not use minutes. You no longer have to port your number when changing providers. Changing phones can be done at will. You can overlap services or even have a gap in cell service, no problem. It's an incredibly useful app that Apple simply took away without any regard for their users.

Quote:

Its because there are several different apps that basically do the same thing. The specific way Google Voice works may be unique, but its purpose is not. The purpose of all of the alternative voice/text apps is to save people money on voice/text. That is not unique to Google Voice.

Every app may accomplish this task in different ways, but my point is its essentially what they all do.