Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That being said, it's ridiculous to conclude that Apple, in general, "has done nothing but stifle efforts such as these that bypass high-priced carrier services." In point of fact it was Apple that led the way breaking the hold of carrier services. Or perhaps you've forgotten how Verizon used to nickel and dime you for every sound and graphic you might want to get on and off your phone, or crippled the handsets they carried in order to "Verizonize" them? That kind of carrier lockdown was, in all likelihood, at the heart of the Apple's decision to bypass Verizon in favor of AT&T.

You're kidding right? Try making a VoIP phone call over 3G with a non-JB's iPhone. Or how about tethering? What's your data plan like? As an alternative view: everyone of my Nokia phones can use Fring, or Truephone, or whatever VoIP I want to use to make calls via 3G. I tether my iPhone to my MBP daily. My last data usage was around 8 gigs for the month. Guess what my provider said regarding my usage? NOTHING. Unlimited data is exactly that. Unlimited means unlimited without small print or implied caps. AT&T and Apple combined to cripple the iPhone. Hopefully Apple will be out from under AT&T soon. By the way, still waiting on Skype to be able to use 3G for VoIP as was promised.
  • Reply 222 of 234
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

You're kidding right? Try making a VoIP phone call over 3G with a non-JB's iPhone. Or how about tethering? What's your data plan like? As an alternative view: everyone of my Nokia phones can use Fring, or Truephone, or whatever VoIP I want to use to make calls via 3G. I tether my iPhone to my MBP daily. My last data usage was around 8 gigs for the month. Guess what my provider said regarding my usage? NOTHING. Unlimited data is exactly that. Unlimited means unlimited without small print or implied caps. AT&T and Apple combined to cripple the iPhone. Hopefully Apple will be out from under AT&T soon. By the way, still waiting on Skype to be able to use 3G for VoIP as was promised.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about Finland.
  • Reply 223 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by absolutshame View Post

That being said, it's ridiculous to conclude that Apple, in general, "has done nothing but stifle efforts such as these that bypass high-priced carrier services." In point of fact it was Apple that led the way breaking the hold of carrier services. Or perhaps you've forgotten how Verizon used to nickel and dime you for every sound and graphic you might want to get on and off your phone, or crippled the handsets they carried in order to "Verizonize" them? That kind of carrier lockdown was, in all likelihood, at the heart of the Apple's decision to bypass Verizon in favor of AT&T.

What are you talking about? Apple did not pass on Verizon. Verizon told Apple no thanks.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...n-iphone_x.htm

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/29/v...e-iphone-deal/

And seeing how Verizon has had nothing but success ever since, I don't see why they would have any regrets.

And yet here we are today, with Verizon selling phones that are entirely the creature of their manufacturers. Before the iPhone, they had no such phones, and Apple "demands" that they be allowed to sell a phone that hadn't been Verizonized was one of the sticking points.

To remain competitive, Verizon has been obliged to adopt the iPhone model anyway, so beyond handset subsidy there probably isn't much different from what they're doing now than what they would have had to do to sell the iPhone. The bottom line is that the iPhone completely changed the US phone industry, with consumers now expecting to buy handsets associated with manufacturers and with the user experience controlled by those manufacturers, not the carrier.

By the way, that USA article is simply citing Verizon's version of events, which pretty obviously isn't going to be "we're kicking ourselves for not being more flexible." Other parties privy to the negotiations tell a different story.

As far as how good they're doing, can anyone doubt that they would be doing that much better if they had the iPhone? Do you think the Verizon execs are just kinda, "Oh well, the iPhone is a huge monster hit but we're making plenty of money as it is so no worries if we could have made a lot more"?
  • Reply 224 of 234
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You do know Verizon has lost a lot its subscribers to AT&T for the iPhone. AT&T has grown its base faster than Verizon. The only reason Verizon is the largest network is because it acquired Alltel.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by absolutshame View Post

[U]

And seeing how Verizon has had nothing but success ever since, I don't see why they would have any regrets.

• Reply 225 of 234
    Here is a more exhaustive list.

iPhone Apps for the Modern Cinematographer.

iPhone Apps for the Modern Cinematographer Pt II

Quote:

Hey Tenobell,

Those are pretty interesting apps. You mind posting the names of them and if they are avail in the App Store?

Thx

• Reply 226 of 234
    Come on Sappor we've been over this many times before. You have to stop comparing Finland to the US. The two are not comparable, for all the reasons we've listed before.

Verizon recently admitted that they will not be able to support unlimited data in the long term.

Quote:

• Reply 227 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Come on Sappor we've been over this many times before. You have to stop comparing Finland to the US. The two are not comparable, for all the reasons we've listed before.

Verizon recently admitted that they will not be able to support unlimited data in the long term.

No offense meant. I was just drawing a parallel. I think it is pretty awful that you guys are being shafted by the operators. It's like a metered bailout for the operators. Anyway, no harm meant.
  • Reply 228 of 234
    Quote:

No offense meant. I was just drawing a parallel. I think it is pretty awful that you guys are being shafted by the operators. It's like a metered bailout for the operators. Anyway, no harm meant.

American carriers absolutely do suck, although since the iPhone they don't suck quite as much.
  • Reply 229 of 234
    Each carrier attempting to cover the entire country by itself was greedy and shortsighted in the long term. This is one case where the government should have forced them all to use the same network technology, to keep them from fragmenting the way they have. Now we are all paying the price in an inefficient and expensive mobile system.

Quote:

• Reply 230 of 234
    In the article, the HTC Dream(G1) mentioned as HTC Magic and the HTC Magic mentioned as HTC Dream.
  • Reply 231 of 234
    Ive used and compared both on numerous occasions and currently own a Ipod Touch 16GB 2nd Gen and a HTC Dream and although the Ipod is faster inside the GUI and the operating system looks prettier in general, the Android operating system inside the Dream is more stable and frankly when connected to Wi-fi my Dream connects and downloads significantly faster than my Ipod (Android has a plugin which allows you to download any filetype and save it to SD for transfer to pc). however i wouldn't use Android as a music based phone as Apple do have the upper hand when it comes to music and i LOVE the music quality on my Ipod. however Android handles Multi-tasking brilliantly all things considered and only really starts to show performance side-effects if you have 3 or more apps running side by side. they are both awesome operating systems with their own strengths and weaknesses.
  • Reply 232 of 234
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

I guess I've been spoiled by Apple's simple, straight-forward branding strategy; because I think this whole "Droid" thing sucks. First of all, which phone is a "Droid?" Is it the Motorola Droid or a Verizon phone running Android? Is this new Nexus One a "Droid phone" or an "Android phone?" Is the Motorola Droid supposed to be "the" Droid phone or is the Droid Eris also a "Droid phone?"

I think Verizon, HTC, and Motorola really screwed the pooch when they decided to call all their new Android phones "Droid _____." The average consumer - who they're targeting anyway - probably doesn't care, but as they become more aware of mobile OS's they'll have the same question I'm having: is the phone "Droid" or is the OS "Droid?" Is the Google phone a "Droid?"

Those aren't the droids you're looking for.
  • Reply 233 of 234
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Final thought, Nexus one could probably have killed the very first iPhone (web apps only), maybe been a bit better then the original 3G (after we were given native apps). And is actually worse (in terms of usability not hardware) then 3GS.

First of all, the moment you have to go back to a three year old product to make a newly released one look favorable, you've got yourself a pointless discussion.

Second, even the original iPhone had features that every other phone on the market lacks, including excellent music, photo, and video playback, seamless integration, synchronization, and backup features, and a well though out UI that a five year old can figure out.

Would-be Apple competitors repeatedly fail because they still believe the myth that Apple's marketing and aesthetics are the only thing differentiating them from everyone else. There's a reason why Apple sometimes takes so long to introduce a new product or feature - they spend the time necessary to get that product or feature right before releasing it.
  • Reply 234 of 234
    You need only look at the two devices to say which one is better. iPhone's form factor smokes Nexus One's in every possible way. While the iPhone, in itself, looks iconic, well-designed, modern, cutting edge, Nexus One leaves you cold, thinking that it is but a dummy for a yet-unannounced phone. The point is, Nexus One will never be considered as iconic and as trend-setting as the iPhone. Truth be told: Only a person who's OK with fading in the background would want to get a Nexus One.

Plus, I highly doubt case manufacturers would even bother mass producing cases specifically for Nexus One. Nexus One will never be able to command such interesting blog posts like The 25 Coolest and Weirdest iPhone Cases by this blog.