Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 201 of 234
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

There are plenty of great alternative products out there that people willingly dismiss because they aren't made by their favourite manufacture. That's just being ignorant and short sighted.

Enlighten me then. What other phone will sync with my Mac and iTunes?

There's no way I'm giving up my Mac. No other Windows machine, and unfortunately I've used many at work, has worked as well as my Mac has. I'd love to try a Linux machine sometime. Maybe when Apple fails me I'll try Linux.

But please tell me, what other phone and computer will sync well together as an iPhone does with a Mac? Windows is not an option either.

Link me up.
  • Reply 202 of 234
    Tenobell,

There is no need for a phone to play all video formats. You would understand that if you understood the difference between video codecs. H.264 is the most efficient video codec for playback on a device with limited resources and limited battery life.

Actually you would understand my statement if you read it correctly. I stream video via DNLA or thru my tv-out (two more missing features on Android) which looks like crap if you have to play MP4. Then again the Omnia2 does not suffer from limited resources,limited battery life or inferior hardware.

I'm sorry, you really have no idea what you are talking about.[/QUOTE]
    [/U]

Okay sorry I left out 3GP. Should have said no support for DivX and AVI video formats. I don't like having to convert movies since I have numerous devices that support DIVX,etc.
  • Reply 203 of 234
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member
    Icy, are you a MobileMe subscriber? or are you just syncing music, photos and video straight across usb?

You don't have to have windows to use android. I have a mac and android phone. It syncs photos and video with Picasa over the air for free. Music sync isn't as s fluid as itunes however.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Enlighten me then. What other phone will sync with my Mac and iTunes?

There's no way I'm giving up my Mac. No other Windows machine, and unfortunately I've used many at work, has worked as well as my Mac has. I'd love to try a Linux machine sometime. Maybe when Apple fails me I'll try Linux.

But please tell me, what other phone and computer will sync well together as an iPhone does with a Mac? Windows is not an option either.

Link me up.

• Reply 204 of 234
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Icy, are you a MobileMe subscriber? or are you just syncing music, photos and video straight across usb?

You don't have to have windows to use android. I have a mac and android phone. It syncs photos and video with Picasa over the air for free. Music sync isn't as s fluid as itunes however.

No MobileMe, just syncing through USB.
  • Reply 205 of 234
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    My response was to the assertion that iPhone apps are child's play. There are many productive apps for the iPhone. I'm just using my industry as a specific example.

The list of apps is fairly long here are a few.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

That's a point that has merit, if you have apps, that are only available there, its clearly best platform for you. Can you provide some names of the applications ? I wonder how long it will it take get these applications on other platforms too.

• Reply 206 of 234
    My point is specifically at the functionality of Google Voice on the Droid. Google Voice is a very good product. It is one of many such products, it has its advantages and disadvantages. But its primary purpose is to save money the same as other VOiP apps purpose is to save money.

Quote:

You wouldn't buy a Droid if you needed to make calls in Europe, but I suppose you could make skype calls over wifi or using Sipdroid may be cheaper.

GV allows you to make calls using the standard dialer/phonebook and shows your caller ID. There is a robust suite of call control options. It allows you to send/rcv sms with the same number without an sms plan from the carrier. This is seamless integration. There is no iphone app that does this.

GV gives you control of your incoming calls before they hit the carrier network. Forwarding calls somewhere does not use minutes. You no longer have to port your number when changing providers. Changing phones can be done at will. You can overlap services or even have a gap in cell service, no problem. It's an incredibly useful app that Apple simply took away without any regard for their users.

• Reply 207 of 234
    Quote:

Actually you would understand my statement if you read it correctly. I stream video via DNLA or thru my tv-out (two more missing features on Android) which looks like crap if you have to play MP4. Then again the Omnia2 does not suffer from limited resources,limited battery life or inferior hardware.

You need to be more specific with what you are doing. Your DNLA system not being able to stream good quality MP4 has nothing directly to do with MP4. The purpose of video on your phone is to look good on you phone not on your television.

Unless your Omina 2 has a desktop processor, desktop GPU, desktop RAM/storage, and is permanently plugged into a power source. You Omina 2 does have limited resources and limited battery life.

Quote:

Okay sorry I left out 3GP. Should have said no support for DivX and AVI video formats. I don't like having to convert movies since I have numerous devices that support DIVX,etc.

Movie studios are not releasing movies in DivX or AVI, at some point someone had to convert it. H.264 is a better codec than both of those.
  • Reply 208 of 234
    There is one key issue here that people overlook. "You get what you pay for!" What people dont seem to understand about the difference between Apple and every other technology company is that when Apple releases a product, it is a finished product, not a work in progress like Google and more specifically Microsoft. There are already 10+ Android based phones out there for sale, all different from different manufacturers. This means that each user interface will be different, meaning you cant go from one to another and it be the same. This is why private 3rd party apps are such a bad idea. When an app is released to the Apple store, it works, its as simple as that. And every interface in every app works exactly the same. There is no searching around in the app for 10 minutes to figure out how to do something. When you buy an Apple product, you are buying a high quality, finished product. Why do you think Microsoft had to release Windows 7, because Vista was an absolute failire, and O, if you havent noticed, Windows 7 steals most of its nice features from Mac OS X. When will people learn that not everyone likes to continously update their electronic devices every three months just because Google or Microsoft realize the failure they produced and try to address it with a new device. Lastly, that is why there is only one iPhone in the last year, and 10+ droid phones, and they still cant match the iPhone. C'mon guys, be realistic.
  • Reply 209 of 234
    Technically, Google Voice isn't a VOIP product. It uses the traditional phone network. On ATT, it would only help by saving SMS fees.

The real value in it lies in the fact that it takes away the call control and sms control from your carrier and gives control to you. For incoming calls, YOU decide where the call goes or does not go and at what day/time. As I said previously, there is no fee for forwarding. If/when you quit ATT, nothing happens to your voice mail (including searchable text transcriptions) or sms inbox, it will stay where it is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

My point is specifically at the functionality of Google Voice on the Droid. Google Voice is a very good product. It is one of many such products, it has its advantages and disadvantages. But its primary purpose is to save money the same as other VOiP apps purpose is to save money.

• Reply 210 of 234
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

My response was to the assertion that iPhone apps are child's play. There are many productive apps for the iPhone. I'm just using my industry as a specific example.

image: http://www.davideubank.com/Good_Focu...oF_website.png

image: http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/...480x480-75.jpg

image: http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/...480x480-75.jpg

image: http://www.chroniclebooks.com/blog/w...2hitchcock.jpg

image: http://iphone.iusethis.com/screensho...calculator.png

image: http://www.matthias-uhlig.de/wp-cont...screenshot.png

Some of those apps look really impressive. I wonder how the iPhone haters will combat that post.
  • Reply 211 of 234
    Yes I know how GV works. But when you step back and look at the bigger picture, in essence it basically accomplishes the same job that a VOiP app accomplishes, it just does it in a different way. You seem to only want to look at this from the perspective of a GV user and not any other perspective.

Quote:

Technically, Google Voice isn't a VOIP product. It uses the traditional phone network. On ATT, it would only help by saving SMS fees.

The real value in it lies in the fact that it takes away the call control and sms control from your carrier and gives control to you. For incoming calls, YOU decide where the call goes or does not go and at what day/time. As I said previously, there is no fee for forwarding. If/when you quit ATT, nothing happens to your voice mail (including searchable text transcriptions) or sms inbox, it will stay where it is.

• Reply 212 of 234
    The full list of apps that can be used in film/video is far longer than that. Many of them were not made specifically for film/video they are just productive apps in general.

I was thinking of getting an iPod Touch because I want my phone to primarily be a communication device. And load my work apps on a different device. But the iSlate looks like it may be the killer product I need for work apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Some of those apps look really impressive. I wonder how the iPhone haters will combat that post.

• Reply 213 of 234
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

That's a point that has merit, if you have apps, that are only available there, its clearly best platform for you. Can you provide some names of the applications ? I wonder how long it will it take get these applications on other platforms too.

That's the heart of the matter: many if not most smart phone users are going to want at least a few apps that are narrowly catering to their particular interests or field. People in the motion picture industry, medical professionals, those in the construction trades, lab workers, hobbyists, athletes in particular sports, various sorts of enthusiasts, specific sorts of collectors, etc.

When you've got lots more apps to choose from it's more likely that you'll find "niche" apps that cater to your specific interest/need. What some people are arguing is that "niche" apps don't matter because they're small potatoes, but the thing is that almost everyone has some "niche" interests and for each of them having the right app isn't niche at all. It's great. It's big plus for the platform. It's just that that big plus is going to be different for each user.

That's what makes the "bad Apple locked down can't customize" argument so ironic-- we're supposed to accept that it's absolutely vital to be able to muck about with the container, while agreeing that content is generic and can be easily served by hitting a few mainstream marks. That each phone user will be happy enough to have examples of a handful of "vital" apps but would be grossly limited if not allowed to move widgets around.

It's an odd stance to take, and a funny way of thinking about "locked down."
  • Reply 214 of 234
    [QUOTE=TenoBell;1548099]You need to be more specific with what you are doing. Your DNLA system not being able to stream good quality MP4 has nothing directly to do with MP4. The purpose of video on your phone is to look good on you phone not on your television.

Unless your Omina 2 has a desktop processor, desktop GPU, desktop RAM/storage, and is permanently plugged into a power source. You Omina 2 does have limited resources and limited battery life.

The processor is 800mhz with a graphics accelerator,not amazing but not a slouch by any means. Memory wise I am currently at 24gb (8gb internal/16gb microSD) but RAM at 256 leaves much to be desired.The battery is the best on the market along with the AMOLED screen which saves alot of power. However you are right about having to have a constant power source because the DNLA utilizes WIFI which kills the battery.

I understand your point about MP4's providing acceptable playback on cell phones. The issue I have with MP4's is that I don't watch movies on my phone but at hotels when I am away on business or at a friends house.. Unlike a lot of phones the Omnia2 is more of a mediaphone than a smartphone and the tv-out and DNLA functions are specifically for viewing on a television and not a phone.
  • Reply 215 of 234
    iphone apps do crash. They can bring down the OS. All software is a work in progress.

And, you can pay all you want, but only get what you seek out and negotiate. Would you award the highest bidder on a contract simply based on price?

Google has shown they work in the consumer's interest to get a better price, bypassing traditional sms, for example. Apple has done nothing but stifle efforts such as these that bypass high-priced carrier services. Apple, by bringing customers who are forced to pay as much as possible, is able to negotiate better contracts with carriers... at your expense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtjasonwalter View Post

There is one key issue here that people overlook. "You get what you pay for!" What people dont seem to understand about the difference between Apple and every other technology company is that when Apple releases a product, it is a finished product, not a work in progress like Google and more specifically Microsoft. There are already 10+ Android based phones out there for sale, all different from different manufacturers. This means that each user interface will be different, meaning you cant go from one to another and it be the same. This is why private 3rd party apps are such a bad idea. When an app is released to the Apple store, it works, its as simple as that. And every interface in every app works exactly the same. There is no searching around in the app for 10 minutes to figure out how to do something. When you buy an Apple product, you are buying a high quality, finished product. Why do you think Microsoft had to release Windows 7, because Vista was an absolute failire, and O, if you havent noticed, Windows 7 steals most of its nice features from Mac OS X. When will people learn that not everyone likes to continously update their electronic devices every three months just because Google or Microsoft realize the failure they produced and try to address it with a new device. Lastly, that is why there is only one iPhone in the last year, and 10+ droid phones, and they still cant match the iPhone. C'mon guys, be realistic.

• Reply 216 of 234
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

iphone apps do crash. They can bring down the OS. All software is a work in progress.

And, you can pay all you want, but only get what you seek out and negotiate. Would you award the highest bidder on a contract simply based on price?

Google has shown they work in the consumer's interest to get a better price, bypassing traditional sms, for example. Apple has done nothing but stifle efforts such as these that bypass high-priced carrier services. Apple, by bringing customers who are forced to pay as much as possible, is able to negotiate better contracts with carriers... at your expense.

So what you're doing here is taking a unique case-- Google Voice-- and extrapolating out to make an entirely specious general case.

Of course Google wants you tethered to their "free" services-- that's how they get the ad hits that makes them money. It has nothing to do with some crusade to save the consumer money.

Conversely, it's not terribly surprising that Apple would be resistant to allowing a direct competitor to install apps that completely replace core functionality of its device.

That being said, it's ridiculous to conclude that Apple, in general, "has done nothing but stifle efforts such as these that bypass high-priced carrier services." In point of fact it was Apple that led the way breaking the hold of carrier services. Or perhaps you've forgotten how Verizon used to nickel and dime you for every sound and graphic you might want to get on and off your phone, or crippled the handsets they carried in order to "Verizonize" them? That kind of carrier lockdown was, in all likelihood, at the heart of the Apple's decision to bypass Verizon in favor of AT&T.

Moreover, Apple is clearly not adverse to apps that can save money over traditional carrier channels, witness the various VoIP apps that are available on the platform.

I have no idea what "Apple, by bringing customers who are forced to pay as much as possible, is able to negotiate better contracts with carriers... at your expense" even means, but it doesn't appear that the service contracts for Android phones are any cheaper than the iPhone. Are you saying that Google is somehow using its powers of truth and light to force the carriers to offer cheaper data rates? Because they're not.
  • Reply 217 of 234
    Sure, my perspective is clear. If I didn't know too much about it, we wouldn't be discussing it.

The reason it is of no interest to you is because it is not available to you. If you had a chance to use it for a while and then Apple took it away, you might feel differently.

Quote:

Yes I know how GV works. But when you step back and look at the bigger picture, in essence it basically accomplishes the same job that a VOiP app accomplishes, it just does it in a different way. You seem to only want to look at this from the perspective of a GV user and not any other perspective.

• Reply 218 of 234
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That being said, it's ridiculous to conclude that Apple, in general, "has done nothing but stifle efforts such as these that bypass high-priced carrier services." In point of fact it was Apple that led the way breaking the hold of carrier services. Or perhaps you've forgotten how Verizon used to nickel and dime you for every sound and graphic you might want to get on and off your phone, or crippled the handsets they carried in order to "Verizonize" them? That kind of carrier lockdown was, in all likelihood, at the heart of the Apple's decision to bypass Verizon in favor of AT&T.

Apparently this is a point that can't be repeated too much for some peoples selective memory
  • Reply 219 of 234

What are you talking about? Apple did not pass on Verizon. Verizon told Apple no thanks.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...n-iphone_x.htm

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/29/v...e-iphone-deal/

And seeing how Verizon has had nothing but success ever since, I don't see why they would have any regrets.
  • Reply 220 of 234
    Quote:

Hey Tenobell,

Those are pretty interesting apps. You mind posting the names of them and if they are avail in the App Store?

Thx