Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 161 of 234
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

We agree pretty much completely: The app race is pretty much drawing to a close.

There are no missing "killer apps", except perhaps in a few niche areas, and that will soon change.

I think it's cute that you take me to task for "making stuff up" and move immediately to pull a blanket assertion out of your ass.

Of course, you can simply choose to declare the apps available for Android to be "killer", and anything that isn't to be "niche", but that would be very obviously stacking the deck to support a shaky supposition, and we wouldn't want that, would we?

The fact remains that it's pretty dubious you to be the one to decide, for every user, what constitutes "must have" or "killer" apps. Sure, there are some mainstream genres that most users will want examples of, and, as I've said, I have no doubt that on that count Android will serve.

But there's no explaining away the fact that the further one moves from those few genres, the more likely it is that more apps will give any given user a shot at what that particular user might want. As has been explained over and over again, while any given user is unlikely to use more than a handful of the apps available, it's unlikely that any given user will use the same handful.

It's pretty clear that a deep catalog of applications is a competitive advantage for the iPhone, just as it's clear that for some posters here competitive advantages for the iPhone must be explained or rationalized away. That doesn't make those rationalizations compelling, it just makes the posters seem blinkered and stubborn.
  • Reply 162 of 234
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

We agree pretty much completely: The app race is pretty much drawing to a close.

There are no missing "killer apps", except perhaps in a few niche areas, and that will soon change.

You think Twitter and Facebook are niche areas of consumer interest? Find my the best apps for Android and we?ll compare to the iPhone.
  • Reply 163 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You think Twitter and Facebook are niche areas of consumer interest? Find my the best apps for Android and we?ll compare to the iPhone.

But remember, quality doesn't matter. The things that make iPhones apps a pleasure to use are just "pretty", and real men don't do pretty.
  • Reply 164 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

But remember, quality doesn't matter. The things that make iPhones apps a pleasure to use are just "pretty", and real men don't do pretty.

Real men apparently don?t do accurate, either.
  • Reply 165 of 234
    I had to register to comment because the amount of fanboyism being demonstrated is beyond ridiculous.

I own both the Droid and an Omnia2 so I can speak from experience on Android in comparison to another OS.

First let me comment on the sunlight/AMOLED criticism. The OLED screens have some issues with visibility in sunlight, not as much as any other screentype however. My O2 produces a much better display then non-AMOLED phone and to argue that would be dumb.

As far as iPhone and Android apps, most are child's play which is why I gave my Droid to my wife, she needs a simple phone much like most iPhone consumers.

Neither iPhone or Android are capable of playing all video formats-sad. Neither can tether wireless free of charge-another fail.

Apple cons-regulated to iTunes, not sure why people see this as a plus when I can download any movie/app or music title free of charge over the internet on WinMo. Also the lack of many basic smartphone features is not excused by taking years to implement on a higher quality, it should not take years to add copy/paste/SMS,tethering,video recording and other basic features.

Android cons-at this point regulated to MP4, which is fine if you have no plans on streaming video to television. Applications can sometimes have issues being compatible between OS versions. Hardware specs are just catching up to WinMo,Symbian and Apple.

If I had to choose between Android and iPhone I would definitely go with the Moto Droid for it's keyboard among other things. Both have multi-touch, the most useless feature on a smartphone, as well as capacitive screens. The Droid however has unbelievable voice controls and the GPS is the best on the market, not the phone market but the entire GPS market.

However I will stick to WinMo because there is absolutely nothing it can't do and the hardware on the O2 makes both Droid and iPhone seem like child's play.
  • Reply 166 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by absolutshame View Post

I had to register to comment because the amount of fanboyism being demonstrated is beyond ridiculous.

I own both the Droid and an Omnia2 so I can speak from experience on Android in comparison to another OS.

First let me comment on the sunlight/AMOLED criticism. The OLED screens have some issues with visibility in sunlight, not as much as any other screentype however. My O2 produces a much better display then non-AMOLED phone and to argue that would be dumb.

As far as iPhone and Android apps, most are child's play which is why I gave my Droid to my wife, she needs a simple phone much like most iPhone consumers.

Neither iPhone or Android are capable of playing all video formats-sad. Neither can tether wireless free of charge-another fail.

Apple cons-regulated to iTunes, not sure why people see this as a plus when I can download any movie/app or music title free of charge over the internet on WinMo. Also the lack of many basic smartphone features is not excused by taking years to implement on a higher quality, it should not take years to add copy/paste/SMS,tethering,video recording and other basic features.

Android cons-at this point regulated to MP4, which is fine if you have no plans on streaming video to television. Applications can sometimes have issues being compatible between OS versions. Hardware specs are just catching up to WinMo,Symbian and Apple.

If I had to choose between Android and iPhone I would definitely go with the Moto Droid for it's keyboard among other things. Both have multi-touch, the most useless feature on a smartphone, as well as capacitive screens. The Droid however has unbelievable voice controls and the GPS is the best on the market, not the phone market but the entire GPS market.

However I will stick to WinMo because there is absolutely nothing it can't do and the hardware on the O2 makes both Droid and iPhone seem like child's play.

Welcome to the forum. You make some fair points and good observations but your contention that copy/paste should have taken so long is questionable.

I have no idea how long it took or if Apple had it waiting for v3.0 for marketing reasons, but I do no that the way it works is ideal for the device and works absolutely great. You can?t just make it work like desktop OS where keyboard shortcuts and right/option-clicking are the norm. No other has copy/paste half as good as Apple?s implementation which goes to show you that the old adage ?measure twice, cut once? can be very beneficial, even if it does take you a little but longer to get it out the door.

My biggest issue with your comment, "Both have multi-touch, the most useless feature on a smartphone, as well as capacitive screens.? Seriously? These are the features that made smartphones viable for the average person. The features that allowed for the use of the whole screen without a horrible plastic keyboard getting in the way of screen real estate or overall size. Are you suggesting that a stylus or that resistive single-touchscreen on the Storm are better ways to go with a touchscreen or that touchscreen technology altogether should go away in favour of tiny screens filled up by plastic keyboard?
  • Reply 167 of 234
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member
    yea, I saw this too. Made me wonder. I have a kids paint app on my droid and drew lines in the same pattern, but they are perfectly straight. Not sure what the implication of this test is.

Quote:

Real men apparently don?t do accurate, either.

• Reply 168 of 234
    Just the mutli-touch portion, the capacitive has it's advantages. Probably should have worded my comments better.

Got to go, have a good one.
  • Reply 169 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

yea, I saw this too. Made me wonder. I have a kids paint app on my droid and drew lines in the same pattern, but they are perfectly straight. Not sure what the implication of this test is.

I wonder if an app can up the refresh time that the display uses to grab points.

Did you go as slowly as they did in the video?
  • Reply 170 of 234
    For the sake of healthy discussion, I'll list my favorite android apps.

Swype keyboard - type much faster in portrait mode with one thumb than two thumbs in landscape

Speech input for any text field on Android 2.1 - great while driving

PdaNet - Tethering

imusic - mp3 downloads, must be funded by advertising?

Google Voice - need I say more? free integrated sms

Google Nav with speech input "navigate to 123 main street"

Google Latitude - background location services, alerts

Locale - location and time aware ring profiles, display brightness, app syncing

Gallery 2.1 - by cooliris, very 3d

Shazam - yea we all got that one

Photoshop Mobile

Google Goggles

Metal Detector - for the dog and pony show like many iphone apps, lol

Weather widget - icon displays 'actual' temp and conditions, not 73 and sunny

SipDroid - VOIP calling over 3G or wifi. Inbound and outbound, runs in background.

Google Sky - like google earth for the stars. Dog and pony fodder

Qik - 720x480 live video streaming

Push Gmail

Google Tracks - gps tracking for hiking, jogging, biking. Runs in the background.

No shortage of excellent apps, in my opinion.

What's hard to describe is the integration. For example, Tracks is integrated into Maps and Docs. It will upload your tracking data and it's not held with a little startup that may be gone next month. Latitude is integrated with Google Talk. They blend. It's a rich experience.

With my ipod touch, I get to experience a lot of what apple has to offer and it's impressive, but in a different way. With android, I feel the love, but with Apple it's like a having lunch with a sales rep.

Quote:

• Reply 171 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by absolutshame View Post

Um, you "had to register" on an Apple site to correct the "fanboyism" that is "beyond ridiculous"?

Because what, you can't sleep at night knowing those Apple people are slandering your hardware without correction?

Pot, meet kettle.
  • Reply 172 of 234
    Yea, you're right, they aren't as straight when going slow. Must be a difference in the averaging.

Quote:

I wonder if an app can up the refresh time that the display uses to grab points.

Did you go as slowly as they did in the video?

• Reply 173 of 234
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:

It's pretty clear that a deep catalog of applications is a competitive advantage for the iPhone, just as it's clear that for some posters here competitive advantages for the iPhone must be explained or rationalized away. That doesn't make those rationalizations compelling, it just makes the posters seem blinkered and stubborn.

Here's a good article on the subject:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10432114-16.html
  • Reply 174 of 234
    Quote:

I think it's cute that you take me to task for "making stuff up" and move immediately to pull a blanket assertion out of your ass.

Yep. I should have said "based upon what I have seen in the rabid media, who would be likely to pounce upon and analyze to death any scrap of shortcoming from any quarter in their current 'phone wars, "... [t]here [seem to be] no missing "killer apps", except perhaps in a few niche areas, and [I expect] that will soon change.

I'll try to properly qualify stuff in the future.
  • Reply 175 of 234
    Quote:

No, I don't think that. Are Twitter and Facebook missing from Android?
  • Reply 176 of 234
    Quote:

For the sake of healthy discussion, I'll list my favorite android apps.

For the sake of healthy discussion, do you find any glaring omissions in the offerings at the Android Store?

Apple, of course, has lots of unavailable apps. That is the reason why the Cydia store exists. I use apps from Cydia on a daily basis.
  • Reply 177 of 234
    Quote:

No, I don't think that. Are Twitter and Facebook missing from Android?

Have you used them on both devices? There is nothing ?killer? about those poorly designed apps for Android. Tecnically having the app isn?t the same as having a killer app.
  • Reply 178 of 234
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Have you used them on both devices? There is nothing ?killer? about those poorly designed apps for Android. Tecnically having the app isn?t the same as having a killer app.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...onal-thoughts/

But in the end, I found that the lack of any meaningful applications for Android really made it a no go from the beginning. I?m talking about quality ? re-read the word quality ? applications, here. The best VNC and RDP applications on Android are a joke. There?s not a single enjoyable Twitter application, and any application that?s on Android that is available on the iPhone pales in comparison. If you can find an application on the Android platform that?s better than the iPhone counterpart, I?ll send you a BGR Ninja hat.

Seriously Google, you take no responsibility for the actual ?experience? of this phone, yet you tout it as your tag line. Applications in Android Market don?t work for all devices. They have to be updated, they might not work with a new resolution, or all touch screen display ? try using one of those NES/SNES emulators on the Nexus One ? the comments and ?reviews? on apps are worse than Sidekick user?s AIM screen names, there?s no authority and no accountability in Market, and outside of people that know what they?re doing, you?re basically leading the rest into a forest with wolves in the dark, while they?re bleeding and blindfolded. Why does the VNC application I bought and paid for crash on the Nexus One with a Java.IO error? Because your entire OS is fragmented, poorly driven, poorly policed, and because in typical Google fashion, you?re already on to the next thing before making this an absolutely flawless experience for users. What happened to ferociously making sure the absolute core applications in your package were 100% perfect before shipping? BlackBerry?s email application is flawless. Apple?s web browser is flawless. But there?s not a single application on Android that doesn?t have carbon spots in it. (Look it up)

Here?s another issue on why for the foreseeable future Android won?t be anything like what Apple or another company can offer: coders aren?t designers. It?s really as simple as that and anyone in the business will know exactly what I?m talking about. That?s why Apple?s entire developer ecosystem is different, because believe it or not, Apple?s developers are amazing designers that make beautiful things, and they happen to know how to code. That?s entirely different from someone who?s the best coder in the world and trying to create something that looks, works, and feels great. And so, this is my issue with Android and why you won?t see applications of iPhone-quality on Android aside from any SDK and programming hurdles.

If an app like Tweetie 2 existed on Android, I think the Android Market would literally crash, die, burn, and hang itself by how natural, beautiful, and thoughtful that application is. Now, multiply something like that 5,000 times and you?ll have an idea of why all this Android hype amounts to very little. We have the best Android device ever made in the history of the world, finally! Oh wait, Apple?s event is in 2 weeks and no one will remember this. Until Android 2.2 launches with a new device. Then I?ll write another review.
  • Reply 179 of 234
    Quote:

...Don't get me wrong, the iPhone as a device is spectacular, but the other parts I described are not. I hope Android will bring enough to the table to make Apple rethink their strategy and become more user friendly. Forbidding their users from taking advantage of certain apps seems crazy to me. It should be a basic liberty. I have a feeling a lot of things will change this summer.

This is great point. For me, this policy is crazy too. What's even worse, Apple tries to play "this is only way how to do a secure platform" note, which is just dumb lie. Hope this will change soon.
  • Reply 180 of 234
    Quote:

Actually, I've never used them on either device.