Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 101 of 234
    [QUOTE=fjpoblam;1546941]While I agree the iPhone may be superior, for separate reasons, I won't buy one. Here are mine, and someone among you many *experts* may pick on me as appropriate.

(1) About a third of the way through the article, I began to feel it was a whining non-objective attempt to justify every little difference between iPhone and every conceivable smartphone in existence. I was tempted not to read on. I look forward to to objective reviews from such places as (IMO) eopinions, cnet, consumerreports, pcmag.

If you're looking for objectivity, I'm afraid you're in the wrong forum.
  • Reply 102 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

If you're looking for objectivity, I'm afraid you're in the wrong forum.

Toooooooo funny, and 100% true.
  • Reply 103 of 234
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its interesting you ask for objectivity and then link to an article titled "The iPhone is the worst phone in the world". That article has been linked to a number of times. The title is obvious click bait as it doesn't substantially prove the iPhone is the worst, it raises a bunch of points out of context with the performance of other phones and the networks that the iPhone uses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjpoblam View Post

(1) About a third of the way through the article, I began to feel it was a whining non-objective attempt to justify every little difference between iPhone and every conceivable smartphone in existence. I was tempted not to read on. I look forward to to objective reviews from such places as (IMO) eopinions, cnet, consumer reports, pcmag.

(3) Beyond intelligence, one thing that is *basic* to a smartphone is its ability to function as a *phone*, dang it. I'll use an iPod Touch plus a plain ol' PHONE. Remember note 2 above, and also read this: The iPhone is the worst phone in the world - Crave at CNET UK http://bit.ly/40KIRf

• Reply 104 of 234
    Quote:

While I agree the iPhone may be superior

Quote:

The iPhone is the worst phone in the world - Crave at CNET UK http://bit.ly/40KIRf

• Reply 105 of 234
    Quote:

We switched to $Verizon$.

Using an Android phone on a Verizon family plan with Google Voice and Friends & Family calling feature, pricing is better than Tmobile and much cheaper than ATT. A 1400 minute Verizon plan provides essentially unlimited everything.
  • Reply 106 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You're confused, let me help. The OP was suggesting that as a browser and media device, the Iphone is superior and in a class by itself. As a phone however, the OP was suggesting that the Iphone was sorely lacking, made worse by the fact that it is bound to AT&T. All true. So when you paraphrase to spin comments, know that you are only underscoring your inability to respond to a perfectly valid post without objectivity, ie: fanboyism.
  • Reply 107 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

As a phone however, the OP was suggesting that the Iphone was sorely lacking, made worse by the fact that it is bound to AT&T.

Except outside the US. No complaints at all here in Canada, for instance. Rogers 3G coverage is beautiful, and we've had tethering and MMS from day one. Bell and Telus have the iPhone as well.

The iPhone is the worst phone in the world? Which part(s) of the "world" would that be?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937
  • Reply 108 of 234
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    How does a 1400 minute plan provide unlimited everything, first of all by its very definition its only 1400 minutes. The unlimited data plan is an additional $29.99. The only way you can get unlimited text is with a select plan which is $30 more than a basic 1400 minute plan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Using an Android phone on a Verizon family plan with Google Voice and Friends & Family calling feature, pricing is better than Tmobile and much cheaper than ATT. A 1400 minute Verizon plan provides essentially unlimited everything.

• Reply 109 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

How does a 1400 minute plan provide unlimited everything, first of all by its very definition its only 1400 minutes. The unlimited data plan is an additional $29.99. The only way you can get unlimited text is with a select plan which is $30 more than a basic 1400 minute plan.

By leveraging Google Voice (GV), no SMS plan is required. Text all you want over the data channel, which we pay $30/mo for.

With GV, all outbound calls are Friends & Family calls and therefore unlimited. I say 'essentially' because inbound calls during peak hours not from Friends/family or other Verizon callers would count against 1400 minutes. However, if you start to run out, you can quickly and temporarily change GV to show your GV number on caller ID so that inbound calls do not count against 1400 minutes. Even with 5 chatty people on my Verizon plan, I've never gone over 400 minutes used.

So, essentially, minutes are unlimited.
  • Reply 110 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The Basic 1400 plan, plus $30 data plan for each phone is all you need. No SMS plan, no Select Plan, no Connect Plan, no Premium Plan.

Save another 20% with a corp/gov discount through your employer. Using this, I pay $47.50/mo after taxes for each Android phone.

What many aren't aware of is that Verizon users, no matter where they are in their contract, can go in with friends or family to create cheaper family plan. As each phone fulfills the 2 year commitment, they can be removed from the plan. Also, if you wish to split your family contract at any time, that can be done as well.
  • Reply 111 of 234
    Quote:

While I agree the iPhone may be superior as a SMART phone

I don't think it would perform as well as a PHONE. I don't think I could HEAR mi esposa very well while I'm standing in a windy place trying to speak with her (in our area), nor she me: I speak from experience, pard. Nor would I be able to see well to dial her number: I've looked at my iPod Touch's face often enough to know that. Got it?
  • Reply 112 of 234
    Ummm no. Like msft. They have load of cash. Weoking at google is hard as they say it's the best place to work. I wouldn't worry about them, they are going to be fine and believe me, they are not scared dude. They can put up a 200 person USA team in two days if they have to or do like everyone else outsource to India where habacgi changes their name to bob.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

odd odd article

a mis mash of 1/2 baked themes that abruptly end and go now here else

Yet a calm re write and expanding this article to 4 pages would make a great piece to show us why ,where and how google is out doing MSFT in the asshole dept.

GOOGLE IS VERY SCARED RIGHT NOW

google is a way way over priced one horse monster

Google faces a threat from 2 or 3 million 14 yr. old kids writing code for the FIRST time and seeing this world from a new angle . Just like Skype one day will kill the carriers.

Remember, JD?? trading at $95 a share at its peak ?? well at its meteoric rise was going on and they were laying uncounted miles of un lit fiber and the canadian gov;t them selves said it's a good buy at $60 A share >> Millions of Canucks put their life savings in J D and walked away. Safe in their long term buy .

AT 65 a share a SW code demon warned that his new code would compress fiberoptic data at a 10 to one ratio . NO one blinked . The stock rose to $95 a share . THIS was 10 yrs. ago or more . 10 to 1 means stop laying cable right now . over saturation>>LOOK in those days no one streamed movies >>data was just data

Maybe an odd email with 1 raw pic.They did not stop laying cable .

The market promised that all this fiber would bring us movies on demand and the whole LIB.of congress in 18 minutes . The world has changed now, We are NOW short of lit cable if any is left at all. BUT back then 90 percent of all fiber optic cable remained buried and DARK. To light the cable was expensive back then .,

WHAT caused J. D. UNI to go from 95 to $5 a share . ALSO a dozen other companies were laid to waste over this .

THE HERO OF THIS STORY

the code rider == HE >>> LIED

IT was not 10x to 1 data compression >>it was a 100x to one and then up to 1000x to 1 compression / JD CRASHED

JD STOCK FELL TO 3 BUCKS A SHARE AT ONE POINT wiping out billions of Canuck retirement money among other investors who also lost ,

All that cable was never needed at all back then .

GOOGLE FACES THE SAME THREAT a RICH CODE WRITER CAN KILL OFF GOOGLE THE SAME WAY / rich means A kid that can;t be bought off and who see,s the world in a clear level playing field way .

that is why i am not surprised at their shabby phone deals and ill thought out conflicting market plans

they have one stream of money from one source ./

the market needs 50 small googles who do not bow down to the chinese and help the commies abuse their own people

GOOGLE IS SCARED and has no morals at all

i would sell goog right now

• Reply 113 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Ummm no. Like msft. They have load of cash. Weoking at google is hard as they say it's the best place to work. I wouldn't worry about them, they are going to be fine and believe me, they are not scared dude. They can put up a 200 person USA team in two days if they have to or do like everyone else outsource to India where habacgi changes their name to bob.

Resources and people aren't the issue. Attitudes and priorities, however, are.
  • Reply 114 of 234
    Quote:

I don't think I could HEAR mi esposa very well while I'm standing in a windy place trying to speak with her (in our area), nor she me: I speak from experience, pard. Nor would I be able to see well to dial her number: I've looked at my iPod Touch's face often enough to know that. Got it?

So you cant hear anyone on your iPhone in the wind and you can't see the numbers?
  • Reply 115 of 234
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    with all the above discussion its not which is better in this sense the question really i got from the original article was the business models used and how they work to define or confuse the market ie customer

if you look at the pc model, msft had software and many hardware vendors apple controlled all aspects--MS won the desktop and enterprise

now with the new mobile paradigm apple hasn't changed, google offers software (android) to many vendors but sees that vendors follow the pc model looking for ways to differentiate their product among many diluting the brand

BUT

googles own phone answers that diluting affect by controlling most aspects of the phone and therefore the consumers experience

apple google rim nokia MS realize this is the new universe and there is room for a few

the neat thing about google android is that regardless of who is using the OS google gets the revenue from the ads

so we are witnessing business models for GROWTH

apple realized as we do the growth really is about the OS

who has the most pervasive OS

google, apple, rim, nokia, MSFT

well geee

MSFT is relegated to the cheap free phones gone gone gone wont come back

rim is specialized for enterprise

nokia dead unless it can get a better OS but then they have so many phones that can or can not use their upscale OS that THEY will have the dilution affect( developers nightmare) and don't make the $$$$$ on this

android can be used to grow google apps and ads and can be used by other vendors lacking an os

I don't mention palm because it will be bought for its os by one of the above seeing palm as a replacement for the vendors dead or dying OS (i think rim or nokia)

sooooo

the three i believe will win

apple

android

rim (marginally) since the above will attack its market

user experience requires a universe of uses and intergration

the one with the most integration for the user that touches all aspects of users lives WINS

the article was stating caution on the part of goodle's model

IMHO
  • Reply 116 of 234
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

The Basic 1400 plan, plus $30 data plan for each phone is all you need. No SMS plan, no Select Plan, no Connect Plan, no Premium Plan.

Save another 20% with a corp/gov discount through your employer. Using this, I pay $47.50/mo after taxes for each Android phone.

What many aren't aware of is that Verizon users, no matter where they are in their contract, can go in with friends or family to create cheaper family plan. As each phone fulfills the 2 year commitment, they can be removed from the plan. Also, if you wish to split your family contract at any time, that can be done as well.

That is some pretty damn strenuous math to get your massive savings over AT&T and the iPhone.

You asked "Show me an iphone with multitasking, tethering, and premium Google apps on Verizon where I can continue paying $50/mo for unlimited everything and I'll be first in line", but to get to the "$50/mo for unlimited everything" figure you have to "leverage Google Voice", get some kind of corporate discount, manage your incoming calls, and apparently rotated phones in and out of the mix.

On Verizon's site they list the 1400 minute family plan as going for $120/mo. That's the point of comparison, not whatever $50/mo deal you may be getting via whatever discounts are available to you. The rest is just hand waving. At 1400 minutes I'll wager for most people GV doesn't even enter into it, you just use your minutes.

I also just idly wonder what bullet point the anti-Apple crowd will add to their little lists when Apple includes multi-tasking in 4.0? It's a constantly evolving thing, the stuff that reflexively and mindlessly gets included in each and every anti-iPhone screed. Used to be cut and paste and video, now its tethering and multi-tasking. After that I imagine it will be OLED, resolution and some new thing, because you always have to have at least three things in your list to be "serious."
  • Reply 117 of 234
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

AT&T gets lots of crap for bad service, but I've not seen a lot of writing or comments about the iPhone's antenna design as a possible cause for reduced reception, dropped calls, etc.

Or even more common, idiotic cases that block or dampen the signal. I have convinced three friends to ditch their stupid cases and lo and behold, the phone works fine!

If you are having a problem with reception and your iPhone, try running "naked" for a few days and see if it makes a difference. Not all cases affect the signal, but I am always amazed by just how many do and then people get pissy with AT&T or Apple for some stupid redundant piece of crap they put on their phone to "accessorize" it
  • Reply 118 of 234
    Quote:

So you cant hear anyone on your iPhone in the wind and you can't see the numbers?

Can you hear me now?
  • Reply 119 of 234
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I also just idly wonder what bullet point the anti-Apple crowd will add to their little lists when Apple includes multi-tasking in 4.0? It's a constantly evolving thing, the stuff that reflexively and mindlessly gets included in each and every anti-iPhone screed. Used to be cut and paste and video, now its tethering and multi-tasking. After that I imagine it will be OLED, resolution and some new thing, because you always have to have at least three things in your list to be "serious."

I?m certainly easily amused and it is still early, but that paragraph made my Sunday.

What?s interesting about cut/copy/paste on the iPhone is that Apple didn?t right. I have absolutely no complaints about it, yet for every other touch-based OS it?s either poorly coded and/or only half complete, allowing only certain fields and certain types of data to be cut and copied.

A Boy Genius article from yesterday about the Nexus One?
    Quote:

Other issues that I can?t live with day to day? How do I copy text from non-editable field like an email, webpage, or SMS, or even a 3rd party application? Oh, I can?t. Say what you want about the iPhone not having copy and paste for two years ? a joke ? it?s the single best implementation on the planet for a smartphone and Google?s approach is almost as bad as RIM?s with the Storm-series.

PS: For those that missed my previous posting on this, it?s good to see some comparative tests come out that go beyond the myopic measuring stick known as the Spec List. Below is a test of the touchscreen technology in various phones. I can?t say I?m shocked that Apple is the clear winner?
  • Reply 120 of 234
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Or even more common, idiotic cases that block or dampen the signal. I have convinced three friends to ditch their stupid cases and lo and behold, the phone works fine!

If you are having a problem with reception and your iPhone, try running "naked" for a few days and see if it makes a difference. Not all cases affect the signal, but I am always amazed by just how many do and then people get pissy with AT&T or Apple for some stupid redundant piece of crap they put on their phone to "accessorize" it

I?ve been running without my Mophie Juice Pack for a couple weeks now since I misplaced the charger cable and I?ve been getting more dropped than I have ever had before. I am at CES which certainly explains congestion-based drops, but it happened twice today and the I?m away from the convention area so I figured it would be better.