Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 234
    Blah blah blah, Apple is late on an iPhone OS update -- they could be adding a bunch of new features to make the iPhone more competitive, but they seem to be waiting for some unknown reason. Things like Bluetooth Keyboard support should be EASY to add, but they are missing for unknown reasons...
  • Reply 62 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitmonster View Post

Ten year from now non of this will make any difference. We will have open source code, micro pc phones, and dumb pipe telephone service providers. Everyone will have choice, and there will be competition for service like there is in Europe.

Apple will still be closed source, they will still be innovative but will be marginalized as they are today with their pc buisness. There will still be many fan-people paying more for apple products as there will be fan-people on the other side paying less and getting about the same experience.

Yawn. People said exactly the same thing 10 years ago.

One other point: The PC software behemoth that exists today is nothing resembling 'open source,' yet it dominates. And makes a lot of money. The only 'dumb pipes,' barely eking out a living, are those that make the hardware for that non-open-source company.
  • Reply 63 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite being almost a year ahead of the iPhone 3GS in an industry where performance and capacity can often double on an annual basis, the Nexus One doesn't do a lot of things Apple's phone did last year.

Did you mean "Despite being almost a year behind the iPhone 3GS..."?
  • Reply 64 of 234
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Blah blah blah, Apple is late on an iPhone OS update -- they could be adding a bunch of new features to make the iPhone more competitive, but they seem to be waiting for some unknown reason. Things like Bluetooth Keyboard support should be EASY to add, but they are missing for unknown reasons...

It?s been 6 months since v3.0 was introduced with an update historically coming every year, so how exactly is it late.

Apple may never add BT keyboard support to the iPhone. It?s on-screen keyboard is designed to work well and it does work well. Much better than anyone else virtual keyboard.
    Quote:

Apple wants this to be a touch-based [device]. If you give people a physical keyboard, they?ll think of the touch system as merely an alternative to the mechanical interface they?re already familiar with.

• Reply 65 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Excellent, but cryptic post that will go right over 99.9% of the viewers.

I disagree, if this guy thinks some smart kid can knock out Google he is absolutely clueless about Google's products. He sounds like a day trader who lost money shorting.

While many companies are struggling to conquer the earth, Google is aiming for the Universe in their respective fields of business.

Google is not interested in selling phones to ordinary people, that's why they have partners.

Ordinary people really should not be buying Google's phone, it is for developers to use as a model. Developers who either have support contracts with Google or can survive with email support for their development will not have any problem with the phone. Carriers will want to offer Google's phone to sell to developers which could possibly lead to new applications for their network.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 66 of 234
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitmonster View Post

Ten year from now non of this will make any difference. We will have open source code, micro pc phones, and dumb pipe telephone service providers. Everyone will have choice, and there will be competition for service like there is in Europe.

Apple will still be closed source, they will still be innovative but will be marginalized as they are today with their pc buisness. There will still be many fan-people paying more for apple products as there will be fan-people on the other side paying less and getting about the same experience.

I'm starting the revolution now by writing an ap for the droid that will allow everyone to use all 200,000 aps in the apple store on the droid.......................................just kidding

So you're under the impression that the Nexus One is meaningfully cheaper than the iPhone or that the service plans cost less?

My impression is that freetards can't count.
  • Reply 67 of 234
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

You sound like you are too easily confused to do anything except to buy the one phone offered by Apple. It is a good thing Apple exists. Their branding strategy comforts you.

For the rest of us, choice is seen as a good thing.

Apple sells two models of the iPhone, just because they look the same doesn't mean they are the same.
  • Reply 68 of 234
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    I'm not much interested in the Nexus One if it doesn't sync with my Mac and iTunes.
  • Reply 69 of 234
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Good point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

P.S. When ever people say "Lacks multi-touch" i wish they would follow it by "because they are respecting Apple's patent". (no one else does)

No, it's not a good point, because if a company wanted multi-touch, it could pay Apple for use of the patent.
  • Reply 70 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

No, it's not a good point, because if a company wanted multi-touch, it could pay Apple for use of the patent.

Unless Apple wasn?t licensing their patent. Besides that, I don?t think Apple has any controlling patent over any and all multi-touch. I think it?s patents lie in the capacitive multi-touch it bought from Fingerworks.
  • Reply 71 of 234
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    After sleeping in till 2:50 im finally up.

I'm not sure why everyone has their panties in a bunch but im here to relieve everyone of their wedgie stress lol.

The tech blogs here and everywhere love to pit everything against the iPhone, no SINGULAR phone will eradicate the iPhone, just like no SINGULAR phone killed the Razr. It wont happen, at all. Stop trying to make it seem like such.

Now let me continue on by saying this. If you think Google is gonna be wiped out by a gang of 14 year old computer programmers you're out of your mind. You know why everyone says Android will be the main OS for smartphones? Its because we rely heavily on Googles services, millions, if not BILLIONS use some kind of Google service.

Google is the monster everyone is afraid of, and dont let your fanboyism fool you into think otherwise. Apple has the foresight to see this and is taking action NOW. They purposely snatched Lala away from Google which was a great music company and we all knew that Google is actively looking to get into the music industry and its just simply a matter of time.

Take for instance Lala, imagine if Google (or Apple if it makes you feel better in the pants) made a standalone application for both Windows and Mac that stored my media and had iTunes/Zune like features for syncing and buying music. Imagine having my physical media stored on my phone, and whatever else couldnt fit, could be streamed out via Google for free to my phone (think Pandora now) if it were on their server, or pay a nominal fee and get to upload my own bank of songs for streaming. This would hurt companies that seem to keep flash memory artificially high and drive lower prices.

Apple recently purchased a mapping company, so were all expecting somehow that will be implemented in the future and will yet again kill off Google dependency. I mean does anyone here seriously use Mapquest anymore? Google singlehandedly made both Garmin and TomToms stock fall faster than a kamikaze pilot, and that was just on the launch of one device! If Google changed Google Voice to purely running VoIP, it has the very possibility to turn the entire cell industry upside down.

Google is working hard to not only make Android exciting, but implement THEIR FEATURES into the OS. Android is the weakest one without the Google services behind it, and is also why it will be the strongest. Android is only in its infancy, and you can say you dont like it cause its visually bland (it is) or the hardware is all over the place (it is), people will buy the phones because of the services that will be offered.
  • Reply 72 of 234
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
  • Reply 73 of 234
    Having a touchscreen simply isn’t enough. We finally get some quality tests on the different HW and SW which won’t show up on a spec sheet but increases the user experience.

(straighter lines means better tracking)
  • Reply 74 of 234
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Excellent, but cryptic post that will go right over 99.9% of the viewers.

brucep writes in riddles at times. Like an oracle on top of a mountain. But there are real gems in there.
  • Reply 75 of 234
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And another equally enlightening article:

Google Shakes but Doesn?t Upend the Cellphone Market by DAVID POGUE

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/06/te...h/06pogue.html

And it just keeps coming

Boy Genius on Android

Boy Genius:

Other issues that I can?t live with day to day? How do I copy text from non-editable field like an email, webpage, or SMS, or even a 3rd party application? Oh, I can?t. Say what you want about the iPhone not having copy and paste for two years ? a joke ? it?s the single best implementation on the planet for a smartphone and Google?s approach is almost as bad as RIM?s with the Storm-series.

It?s not just the iPhone?s interface for copy-and-paste; it?s also the interface for selecting text and pictures before you can copy them. I?d say it?s one of the nicest and most thoughtful UI designs I have ever seen.

Daring Fireball 10-01-09 5:50 PM John Gruber http://daringfireball.net/
  • Reply 76 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Boy Genius on Android

Boy Genius:

Other issues that I can’t live with day to day? How do I copy text from non-editable field like an email, webpage, or SMS, or even a 3rd party application? Oh, I can’t. Say what you want about the iPhone not having copy and paste for two years — a joke — it’s the single best implementation on the planet for a smartphone and Google’s approach is almost as bad as RIM’s with the Storm-series.

It’s not just the iPhone’s interface for copy-and-paste; it’s also the interface for selecting text and pictures before you can copy them. I’d say it’s one of the nicest and most thoughtful UI designs I have ever seen.

Daring Fireball 10-01-09 5:50 PM John Gruber http://daringfireball.net/

Here is the original article. That is one of those things that seemed obvious to me and others that it would take time to do it right, but the majority would make statements like, “How hard is it to add a clipboard?” and “Copy and Paste has been on computers for decades.” Even the guy who first released an app that allowed for copy and paste had a great video of why he would have an easier time of it and what Apple would likely have to do to make a new way of copying and pasting on the iPhone. He got it mostly right with Apple coming up with some even cooler stuff.
    Quote:

But Android still feels half baked even after two years. And you can’t prance around smiling without raising the bar. You can take your non-multi-touch device and shove it — it’s inexcusable.

Quote:

There are so many fundamental issues with Android’s OS that still haven’t been addressed and it really makes my head spin. Uniformity is not a word you’ll find in Android’s dictionary. How about the fact that the application icons aren’t the same size. Uh, why? Since there’s no transparent padding around the icons — you know, something that might be smart — there’s no uniformity in the touch areas when you go to tap on an icon.

Quote:

Android doesn’t make sense as a whole. It’s fragmented, poorly executed, the Android Market for apps is a mess, and developers still don’t care about it. There’s not one single good IM program that I could rely on day to day (I don’t use Google Talk), the browser is decent at best. It’s faster now, sure, there’s a 1GHz CPU under its ass, but it’s not intuitive, and there’s always erroneous touch events; when I want to hit something I hit another link, button or app by accident.

Quote:

For a company that’s so smart, and makes so much sense, it’s unbelievable how little sense Android makes in most places. I just can’t see why you’d want to run Android over the iPhone OS? Multitasking? Ok, we’ll have that with iPhone 4.0. What

Quote:

But in the end, I found that the lack of any meaningful applications for Android really made it a no go from the beginning. I’m talking about quality — re-read the word quality — applications, here. The best VNC and RDP applications on Android are a joke. There’s not a single enjoyable Twitter application, and any application that’s on Android that is available on the iPhone pales in comparison.

Quote:

Seriously Google, you take no responsibility for the actual “experience” of this phone, yet you tout it as your tag line. Applications in Android Market don’t work for all devices. They have to be updated, they might not work with a new resolution, or all touch screen display — try using one of those NES/SNES emulators on the Nexus One — the comments and “reviews” on apps are worse than Sidekick user’s AIM screen names, there’s no authority and no accountability in Market, and outside of people that know what they’re doing, you’re basically leading the rest into a forest with wolves in the dark, while they’re bleeding and blindfolded.

Quote:

We have the best Android device ever made in the history of the world, finally! Oh wait, Apple’s event is in 2 weeks and no one will remember this. Until Android 2.2 launches with a new device.

I agree that the iPhone v4.0 and the new SDK will likely be demoed at the end of January. Not because the true competition is so great right now but that mindshare competition is strong enough to warrant Apple having to update sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 77 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

Actually this was a reasonably unbiased article.

There were some small mistakes, like saying android lacks the ability to store app data on the sdcard. This is false. The app it self does need to be stored on the phone but and extra data can be stored on the sdcard.

Example: CoPilot (nav system), All map information is downloaded and stored on the sdcard.

There are many apps like this.

Also saying that there are no major developers developing for Android is a flat out lie.

EA is just one i can think of off the top of my head.

Now he could have said "Less major developers" and i would have not taken issue. but "no major developers" is a lie and misleading.

Other than that, it was a good comparison.

P.S. When ever people say "Lacks multi-touch" i wish they would follow it by "because they are respecting Apple's patent". (no one else does)

fewer major developers, not less. /grammar-nazi
  • Reply 78 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

If anything, they need to properly implement the BT standard rather than the current bastardized version that they are using. It is great to have A2DP but what is the use without the controls need to manage the headsets. I got fed up and went back to using a cable. Hopefully they will fix their error or whatever so that BT Audio Streaming works properly.
  • Reply 79 of 234
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think you and many others (including AI) are missing the fact that the N1 is not on a closed network. You can purchase the unlocked phone and use any network you want. It just so happens that T-Mobile is the only one available now. But it looks like Sprint and Verizon are opening it's doors to the N1 "coming 2010". So there's another point of how this article is a little bit of a spin...

Personally, i think getting the unlocked phone is the better deal. Then you could shop around without having to sign a contract every 2 years or so. But it comes with a price.

I think you're right that Android is a bit of a disappointment. However, it's a disappointment that it's not more successful. I kind of hoped that Android would squash the competition(save for the iPhone...), since Google is the most popular search engine, you'd think it would be a little more popular. But part of the problem is that it's just the software, and software is only as good as its best hardware. and the hardware is not that good. I've never been impressed by HTC products. Very cheap and sloppy workmanship.

I think it primarily boils down to marketing. I think 25% of why Apple is so successful is because they know how to market a product. The other 75% has to do with identifying what the masses need in a product and making it the best they possibly can...so good in fact that people can't help but want it. Had Google marketed themselves better, i think they would be in much better shape.

Look at the Chrome browser, I love this browser and it's really fast. As AI posted, even faster than Safari in most cases. But it's still at the lower end of the user-ship. but i digress.

If you buy unlocked and switch to ATT you get EDGE, not 3G. 3G only on Tmobile. It is not clear when it will come to verizon or sprint, seeing as Droid seems to be Verizon exclusive for now and google has to share exclusives with everyone. Yea I agree that the phone is good, as good as all other Android phones (expect hardware of course). But this was supposed to be the best Android phone that will be far ahead of competition. So far it is not, and that is why I said its a disappointment.
  • Reply 80 of 234
    The lack of multi touch can be an advantage to usability. Try to zoom out on the Maps app on the iPhone with one finger (read: one hand!). It is not possible.