Palm CEO, former Apple exec says he's never used an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 259
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Since when does the iPhone lead the market? Isn't RIM the market leader?

And it's funny how everybody reacts to a statement that any CEO would (has to?) give.

1) The iPhone leads in profits and mindshare, Nokia leads in unit sales and revenue. Not sure what RiM leads in.

2) I don’t think any CEO would say that they don’t pay attention to the competition or that they’ve never used the competition’s devices. I think most CEOs would correctly point out the areas in which they feel the competition lacks in and why their product is superior. His comment is foolish for many reasons. Even Nokia and Nintendo’s CEOs have acknowledged Apple’s gains in the market.
  • Reply 42 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) The iPhone leads in profits and mindshare, Nokia leads in unit sales and revenue. Not sure what RiM leads in.

2) I don?t think any CEO would say that they don?t pay attention to the competition or that they?ve never used the competition?s devices. I think most CEOs would correctly point out the areas in which they feel the competition lacks in and why their product is superior. His comment is foolish for many reasons. Even Nokia and Nintendo?s CEOs have acknowledged Apple?s gains in the market.

to 1: They do sell the most smartphones when I remember correctly.

and to 2: Does a CEO really has to use the product of the competitors? I would guess they do have whole teams to look out for the competition.

When has Steve Jobs used a Windows PC and talked about it publicly?
  • Reply 43 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

to 1: They do sell the most smartphones when I remember correctly.

and to 2: Does a CEO really has to use the product of the competitors? I would guess they do have whole teams to look out for the competition.

When has Steve Jobs used a Windows PC and talked about it publicly?

1) Do you have reports of RiM selling more smartphones than Nokia? Some preliminary reports suggest that Apple may have finally bested RiM in the smartphone sales for the last quarter.

2) No, but I still find it unlikely that he hasn?t ever picked one up and at least seen how it works to get an idea what the fuss is all about. Not to mention, he said that said he doesn?t pay much attention to Apple when Apple is clearly a focus for this company, from pinching employees at every level to making Apple?s iTunes think the Pre is an Apple iPod.
  • Reply 44 of 259
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Re your response to Vital0gy, i.e.,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Who are you?? Are you McNamee?? or Rubeinstein?? .... Take your "I'm a PC" mentality AND "I actually like my pre/ I think it's the next best OS" and preach elsewhere man... Your in a forum and room where... APPLE USERS HAVE THE BEST Phone OS (BTW we don't "think" its the best WE KNOW it's the best ... If you compare any PC to APPLE you'll see spec for spec that Apple is either in-line or cheaper then its competition in the same categories (Don't be one of those people who compare netbooks to Apple notebooks).

Hey I'm curious, How many Apps does WEB BC have??

Man, perhaps you should tone it down a bit.

Afterall, it was the trollers first posting. Obviously, he has some points to make. Unfortunately, they aren't any sharper than his mind appears to be.
  • Reply 45 of 259
    y2any2an Posts: 189member
    Actually, it's a smart response. Given his past, he is in a tricky place regarding intellectual property. By making this response, he asserts his distance. It's the only sensible response he can give legally.
  • Reply 46 of 259
    So he doesn't see the need to build a complete solution with regards to music sync. I actually really like all the great things this guy has done at Apple. He must be pretty upset with whatever went down between him and Jobs regarding the direction to take with the iPhone.

Still I'm sure he knows better, but is simply upset for whatever reason. It does bother me to hear a comment like, sync is best left to the developer community. It has been shown many times over that those that do not create a complete and compelling solution end up with little to no market share at all. This is why Microsoft finally started with the Zune Marketplace rather than just offering a "Playsforsure" system to other corporations. That model failed.

The Palm Pre has many very exciting features, but their work is unfinished. Look how quickly Apple has grown in a short time. It speaks volumes. And this is coming from a guy who owns a Storm 2 from Research In Motion. A switcher away from the iPhone no less. I can still appreciate what Apple has made and recognize it for the obvious achievement it is and will become.

I often nod my head in disbelief when I see CEO after CEO who thinks a half-baked solution, which is not a solution at all, has a chance against a well thought out and executed solution. A high majority of customers will always opt for a solution that covers all the basis rather than an unfinished one.

At least RIM made a connector for the Mac which allows the Blackberry to sync an iTunes catalog to the phone. It is an excellent business phone and even media isn't all bad on it. I rather like it myself. But if the iPhone were to come to Verizon I'd seriously reconsider the iPhone. Most of the reason I switched was poor battery life, never getting 3G in my area and constant call drops. It simply had 3 strikes against it where as the Storm 2 has none. But if that were reduced to just poor battery life, I'd reconsider it. If Apple let the back of the phone open up easily to replace the battery and it were on Verizon right now, I'd be standing in line right now.
  • Reply 47 of 259
    Either he's and idiot or just stupid. Wait... or a lier...

I'm sure he's trying to come off like he doesn't need to recognize Apple; that the Californian company doesn't even fall in his radar 'cause he's just too "out there", but he actually comes off like a bitter idiot. From the head of the company on down, every one of them should be dissecting the competition. Studying their success. Improving on things and then filtering them back into the market. To blindly release products is myopic and ultimately does nothing but saturate the market with junk... or at the very least, simply inflate it. It's like ten developers working on their own media player... Much better to pool resources.

Obviously business won't operate in such ways, but that doesn't mean they still can't learn from each other.

And as for the USB debacle, allowing 3rd party hardware to sync with iTunes may seem consumer friendly, but it also leaves room for bugs and requires extended efforts to ensure QA. There are always trade-offs. Nothing is a simple as some people would have led you to believe.
  • Reply 48 of 259
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    He has always had a chip on his shoulder ever since NeXT that he was the "hardware" exec who was never the "vision" guy.

Palm is dying.
  • Reply 49 of 259
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

2) No, but I still find it unlikely that he hasn?t ever picked one up and at least seen how it works to get an idea what the fuss is all about. Not to mention, he said that said he doesn?t pay much attention to Apple when Apple is clearly a focus for this company, from pinching employees at every level to making Apple?s iTunes think the Pre is an Apple iPod.

Id say trying to pull a company thats drowning from underwater is probably what his focus is on more than anything.

To semi-retire, and then head to a gasping-for-air company and still be able to grab people from Apple must mean he has some believers. Besides picking off employees isnt illegal (in fact its quite a common tactic, unless you leave a big executive company where by contract you might have to sit a year or two out the industry, which is what Rubinstein had to do i think) and trying to blockade someone would have been illegal as well.

The iTunes fiasco was just lulz and for the most part publicity (i think atleast). There are plenty of devices out there that have drag and drop and everyone who isnt a moron knows how to do it.
  • Reply 50 of 259
    It's a silly lie... He probably wishes he could take it back... Pretty stupid for him not anticipating such an obvious Q and not having a better answer prepared!

Imagine if he is caught "red handed" in this lie, with a photo or a verbal account of him having at least held iPhone prior to that interview? Boy, he'd really look stupid... Or maybe he'd start arguing, saying that it was for a second, and maybe dispute the date, saying that it was after this interview...

Either way, I think it's CEO's and everyone in a company responsibility to look closely at all competitors' products and try to improve on those products' successes and failures....

Rubenstein can of course backtrack from this stupid answer by saying: it was my way of trying to change the topic back to Palm. It was my way of saying that I don't want to talk about it... Of course everyone in our industry looks at everyone else's products. It's the nature of the competition...

I saw Palm's presentation at the 2010 CES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6oNKVd29g and it was pretty pathetic... No Charisma people, very home made... Rubenstein is way to stiff... Where was U2's Bono, if the Pre was such a hit!?

In the end, it mostly comes down to Tech Support and integration with the desktops, that are far from dead! Apple is the King of such Integration... Sprint stores, or VZ - none of the carriers can compare with Apple Stores...

On other threads on this forum I often see the term Fragmentation used re: Android OS. I completely agree with such assessment! Google is just throwing it out there, and let the phone makers and carriers fight among themselves, diverting attention from iPhone...

Right now, even I wanted to get Palm device, why would I want to, if there hardly any support, and they are acting like the Future is between and the Cloud, and computers are just the interfaces to the Cloud...

Apple's iPhone Model makes most sense... But, the World Market is Huge, and so, let others keep iPhone on it toes!
  • Reply 51 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

He has always had a chip on his shoulder ever since NeXT that he was the "hardware" exec who was never the "vision" guy.

Palm is dying.

What? How does a hardware guy with no vision get a product past Jobs then?
  • Reply 52 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

There are plenty of devices out there that have drag and drop and everyone who isnt a moron knows how to do it.

Now you’re insinuating that those that prefer a structured sync system are morons. I know how to write in cursive but that doesn’t mean I don’t prefer writing on a keyboard. The main reason the iPod beat all the other players is because of iTunes management making the organization and syncing of 1000s of songs easy and simple, not because of some cult following or slick looking devices.
  • Reply 53 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Even Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer will not say they never touched an iPhone, or doesn't pay attention to Apple.

Actually, Steve Ballmer routinely says he doesn't pay attention to Apple.

That's part of the reason everyone sees him as a f**ktard.
  • Reply 54 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This guy, along with that other clown Roger McNamee, is beginning to sound more like Ballmer every time he opens his mouth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Who are you?? Are you McNamee?? or Rubeinstein?? .... Take your "I'm a PC" mentality AND "I actually like my pre/ I think it's the next best OS" and preach elsewhere man... Your in a forum and room where... APPLE USERS HAVE THE BEST Phone OS (BTW we don't "think" its the best WE KNOW it's the best ... If you compare any PC to APPLE you'll see spec for spec that Apple is either in-line or cheaper then its competition in the same categories (Don't be one of those people who compare netbooks to Apple notebooks).

Hey I'm curious, How many Apps does WEB BC have??

I'm fairly certain that my son's reading comprehension is better than yours. Obviously, you missed the part where I said that I think WebOS is SECOND best behind that of the iPhone's. You also missed the part where I said that I own a Touch. That's the reason I've frequented these forums over the last year even though I first posted this evening. I thought that owning an Apple product might entitle me to post an opinion on this forum. If you feel that I should no longer be allowed to post on this site please feel free to contact the moderators.

I don't have a dog in your game of PC vs Mac. I only said that I own a PC because I'm cost conscious. I agree with your statement that spec vs spec there isn't much difference. Then again, I don't need anything more than Chrome, Excel, and Word. There is a difference between a want vs a need. I just get incredibly irritated by people with their snobby attitude towards those of us who may own a Pre. Maybe you should drop by and take my Touch away since I am obviously not worthy of owning an Apple product. Like I said, if you don't want me around please feel free to contact the mods.
  • Reply 55 of 259
    rfrmacrfrmac Posts: 89member
    Mr. Jon Rubinstein,

Is Palm really paying you to be their CEO? Have you ever used iTunes?

Do you really expect us to believe you?
  • Reply 56 of 259
    Quote:

Now you?re insinuating that those that prefer a structured sync system is a moron. I know how to write in cursive but that doesn?t mean I don?t prefer writing on a keyboard. The main reason the iPod beat all the other players is because of iTunes management making the organization and syncing of 1000s of songs easy and simple, not because of some cult following or slick looking devices.

I agree with you on iTunes. The absolute WORST thing about owning my Pre is having to drag and drop or use doubleTwist to sync. Especially since I already have an iPod. I hate having to sync with different methods depending upon device.
  • Reply 57 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Re your response to Vital0gy, i.e.,

Man, perhaps you should tone it down a bit.

Afterall, it was the trollers first posting. Obviously, he has some points to make. Unfortunately, they aren't any sharper than his mind appears to be.

Not trolling if you would read my entire post. If you have a problem with my post please contact the mods. If you have a problem with my lack of intelligence please contact my parents.
  • Reply 58 of 259
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

Actually, Steve Ballmer routinely says he doesn't pay attention to Apple.

That's part of the reason everyone sees him as a f**ktard.

No, I see him as a f**ktard because he isn't doing a good job at increasing shareholder value. Ballmer has no vision. He was a superb hatchet man for Gates, but on his own, he's a bull in a china shop.

(Disclaimer: I am a shareholder of many high-tech companies, including AAPL, CSCO, GOOG, INTC, MSFT, ORCL, and YHOO.)

I say Ballmer sucks because MSFT's ROI over the past five years barely tracks the S&P 500. I don't give a s**t about how much he sweats or his dancing abilities as long as he can substantially increase shareholder value. Show me the money!

Jobs talks the talk. He also walks the walk.

Ballmer talks the talk, but he can't walk the walk. FAIL.

Going back to the original topic, Palm is almost dead. The company's financials are in shambles, more importantly they are not building marketshare, and they have a CEO who is apparently so arrogant that he can make a statement that is clearly a falsehood ("we ignore competitive analysis").

Feed the entire PALM management team to the sharks. G*dd**n, I am glad I am not a PALM shareholder. What a bunch of shoemakers.

Normally I'd say that the Palm board of directors should fire Rubenstein and find new leadership, but it's probably too late for this company.
  • Reply 59 of 259
    Quote:

Now you?re insinuating that those that prefer a structured sync system is a moron. I know how to write in cursive but that doesn?t mean I don?t prefer writing on a keyboard. The main reason the iPod beat all the other players is because of iTunes management making the organization and syncing of 1000s of songs easy and simple, not because of some cult following or slick looking devices.

no, what i am saying is that Palm can get away without having a true sync software for now because everyone can drag and drop anything if they have used a computer in the past 20 years...
  • Reply 60 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

no, what i am saying is that Palm can get away without having a true sync software for now because everyone can drag and drop anything if they have used a computer in the past 20 years...

Gotcha. Despite the "low rent" maneuver I think it was a good tactic for Palm to promote the Pre cheaply if they never planned on making their own app. The back and forth made news outside of tech sites and yet I know BB users that didn?t even know RiM made an app that ties into iTunes DB files until I asked them about it.

Personally, I think the whole thing was poorly organized. In Rubenstein?s defense you?d have to paying no attention to Apple to have made such a blunder as to push a poor HW, OS and SDK release that was incomplete right before Apple launches their 3rd iPhone.

They would have done much better releasing about mid-iPhone cycle. Plus that would allowed them to make the decent browser-based SDK for their browser-based OS instead of the crap they pushed out 6 months ago. They could also have had an app store that could start out fairly well stocked out of the gate with GPU acceleration and other tweaks. Their UI is the best, outside of the iPhone and even trumps it in many ways, and clearly bests the Android for a usability standpoint.

I?m actually irritated at how Palm has managed to mess up this potential life saving release. I feel Monty Brewser couldn?t have run this company more poorly on purpose (Brewster?s Millions reference).