Palm CEO, former Apple exec says he's never used an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 259
    I think he just let his personal issues with Apple color his judgement for a proper response, proving he doesn't think all that well on his feet.

As for Apple TV, I don't get the hate. I bought one in June and LOVE IT!!!!!! It's like an iPod for my TV except with extra features, plus it's dirt cheap. I have no complaints. ZERO! Okay, maybe more space.
  • Reply 122 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Bit of a contradiction there if I'm not mistaken.

Lmost eveyone has tried an iPhone. That said my friend got a new smart phone, the browser was very quick and some of the apps were really cool. I was thinking aboutlooking into more when he said something like after 90 days secure browsing cost a few dollars. Then I couldn't remember if the iPhone does shttp or something like that, for banking but know there are free apps that allow one touch banking with iPhone. Again the browser ran very fast. I dont have the s serie 3g so can't compare, but it was faster than my 3g.
  • Reply 123 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though the fight has been dropped, Rubinstein this week said he still believes Apple was in the wrong.

"We don't think what Apple did is good for their customers," he said.

more like bad for your customers.

Quote:

Rubinstein said his company has no plans to create their own syncing app -- something he feels the developer community would be better suited to handle. He also said he doesn't "see the point" of approaching Apple to create a joint solution.

so instead you just stole what you wanted. yeah that's a lot better.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

Did anyone really think the CEO of Palm was gonna come and say "Yeah, the iPhone is really great. I love all the features and boy, talk about good design..."

no but a better response would be to say that they were watching several of the current designs (Apple, Blackberry etc), so they could improve on the market with something that does what everyone else does better and add new elements to the game.

the Apple comment seems more like a badly done attempt to counter the "you had access to apple plans and stole them" talk

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Anyways his comments are typical of a CEO, they are watching the competition because every company is always watching their competition.

seems like you've had a reading fail. cause Rube claims he and his company don't pay attention to Apple (their biggest competitor), which is the opposite of what they are or at least should be doing.

which is why folks are snarking. cause he's crazy enough to act like anyone with more than two brain cells will believe Palm doesn't care about Apple one bit. AND to get all uppity about the whole itunes thing. Like they did nothing wrong (under any rule book) but were trying to do something to help Apple customers.
  • Reply 124 of 259
    I'm quite surprised by this guy. I can possibly believe he doesn't own an iPhone, and maybe even believe that he's never extensively used an iPhone, but this nonsense about his company not even paying attention to Apple is pure rubbish. Apple is their biggest competitor, and he's been caught in an obvious lie, because they went to great lengths to leach onto iTunes for sync. You don't do that if "your not paying much attention to Apple".

I certainly don't understand why he would think, and state, that "Apple was in the wrong" when it was Palm who made their device masquerade as something it's not. That is inherently deceptive, and no, that kind of behavior is not okay. It's good to see the USB-IF understands this as well.

I'm a bit disappointed in Rubinstein for his comments, but even more for saying they don't need to create their own sync app. That's just pure laziness, and more than a little presumptuous or arrogant to expect some other entity to write a sync app for their device.

Does he have the same opinion about MS? They are a big competitor too. Is Palm paying attention to MS but not Apple? Does he expect MS to write a sync app for Palm devices?

This guy is just not quite right in the head. I've often wondered why Rubinstein is no longer at Apple. If this is any indication, his departure from Apple is beginning to make a little more sense to me.
  • Reply 125 of 259
    I think Brian Blessed said it best. The quip about Palm Pilot at the end is legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NacppJ_vWQg

• Reply 126 of 259
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

seems like you've had a reading fail. cause Rube claims he and his company don't pay attention to Apple (their biggest competitor), which is the opposite of what they are or at least should be doing.

which is why folks are snarking. cause he's crazy enough to act like anyone with more than two brain cells will believe Palm doesn't care about Apple one bit. AND to get all uppity about the whole itunes thing. Like they did nothing wrong (under any rule book) but were trying to do something to help Apple customers.

/facepalm

You're reading way too much into his on the spot interview.

There are literally teams that dissect and examine everything about a competitors product in your company. You'd be stuid as hell to think Palm doesnt do this, hell i bet even Apple has some machines running Windows 7 and are studying it right now. Palm no doubt has Android, iPhones and BBs strung up somewhere in their labs and have studied them and where they are taking their platform. For a company that is on the verge of being KO and dont have billions backing them like other platforms, they've done well to deliver what they have now.

You act like Palm spoofing iTunes vendor ID was a slap to YOUR face. If Steve Jobs wanted to, he could have squashed Palm like it was nothing for infringing on its IP. Instead he decided to play cat and mouse with Palm until the USB-IF (idk if they even have any sanctioning power) decided to rule in Apples favor.
  • Reply 127 of 259
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I can do all three of those with my Mini 360 or PS3 hooked up to my Bravia, although two of which dont use itunes, but i equally dont care if they do or not.

I can do the same basic things on a netbook and a Mac Pro, but that doesn’t mean they are same user experience.

Quote:

There are literally teams that dissect and examine everything about a competitors product in your company. You'd be stuid as hell to think Palm doesnt do this, hell i bet even Apple has some machines running Windows 7 and are studying it right now.

You simply being to naive to think that Rube pays little attention to Apple in the mobile market place.

BTW, Apple runs has PC running Windows and MS has Macs. It’s kind of hard to make BootCamp, iTunes for Windows, QuickTime for Windows, Safari for Windows, MobileMe plugin, and make your web-based services more compatible with flavours of IE, MS Office for Mac, Entourage, MS Remote Desktop, etc. if you aren’t testing them on the HW and OSes they are designed for.

Quote:

Palm no doubt has Android, iPhones and BBs strung up somewhere in their labs and have studied them and where they are taking their platform.

And yet I bet if we asked if he had held an Android-based phone he would have said yes.

Quote:

If Steve Jobs wanted to, he could have squashed Palm like it was nothing for infringing on its IP. Instead he decided to play cat and mouse with Palm until the USB-IF (idk if they even have any sanctioning power) decided to rule in Apples favor.

And you know this, how? Even the obvious win for Apple in the Psystar case took 18 months. Having to go through patents from two companies with a long history and deep enough pockets is going to take longer if it does go to court. Apple likely dissected the Pre and didn’t think there was enough at the time for any case or think it was viable at the time to peruse.
  • Reply 128 of 259
    Quote:

You'd be stuid as hell to think Palm doesnt do this, hell i bet even Apple has some machines running Windows 7 and are studying it right now.

I would hope so, since they ship iTunes, Safari, and device drivers for Windows. They'd better have some organizational knowledge and, yes, study the goods and bads of the OS. That's the way the world does and should work.
  • Reply 129 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkHernandez View Post

Yeah, I agree with all you guys. He sounds like a Republican that says things like he's talking to people who are too uninformed to notice the crazy statements. We're all tech industry people listening! Hello!

What popped into my head was "Hey, all your customers are going to be looking at the iPhone vs. <your products> when they shop and compare. Shouldn't you be doing the same thing if you expect to be competitive?"

A dog is a reflection of it's owner, right?

WTF do Republicans have to do with the CEO of Palm? You're an idiot.
  • Reply 130 of 259
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

/facepalm

You're reading way too much into his on the spot interview.

There are literally teams that dissect and examine everything about a competitors product in your company. You'd be stuid as hell to think Palm doesnt do this, hell i bet even Apple has some machines running Windows 7 and are studying it right now. Palm no doubt has Android, iPhones and BBs strung up somewhere in their labs and have studied them and where they are taking their platform. For a company that is on the verge of being KO and dont have billions backing them like other platforms, they've done well to deliver what they have now.

You act like Palm spoofing iTunes vendor ID was a slap to YOUR face. If Steve Jobs wanted to, he could have squashed Palm like it was nothing for infringing on its IP. Instead he decided to play cat and mouse with Palm until the USB-IF (idk if they even have any sanctioning power) decided to rule in Apples favor.

Please, no name calling.
  • Reply 131 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doc362 View Post

WTF do Republicans have to do with the CEO of Palm? You're an idiot.

Both of you guys cool it!

Let's keep both the politics and the name calling out of this.
  • Reply 132 of 259
    these guys are freaking clueless.
  • Reply 133 of 259
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:

I can do all three of those with my Mini 360 or PS3 hooked up to my Bravia, although two of which dont use itunes, but i equally dont care if they do or not.

Which is fine. I do care.... and there are others like me who use Apple TV for what WE want. not for what YOU want.

And by the way, I don't care about gaming.
  • Reply 134 of 259
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Which is fine. I do care.... and there are others like me who use Apple TV for what WE want. not for what YOU want.

And by the way, I don't care about gaming.

Except of course, that the AppleTV is not much different in price than a PS3, and with a PS3 you also get the opportunity to attach it to any TV type, full HD support, HD audio support, CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray support, gigabit network support and much, much more. That is even without looking at its gaming abilities.
  • Reply 135 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Except of course, that the AppleTV is not much different in price than a PS3, and with a PS3 you also get the opportunity to attach it to any TV type, full HD support, HD audio support, CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray support, gigabit network support and much, much more. That is even without looking at its gaming abilities.

I have both a PS3 and an ATv.

The PS3 can be used for that, as can the 360. But, it's much more work getting it to do so. And much more work keeping it doing so. On the other hand, unless you use third party software to add to the ATv ability to do things, something that Apple stated long ago, that they said was fine, it's more limited.

But, on the other hand, people who buy the ATv are getting exactly what they want without the other dreck they don't want..
  • Reply 136 of 259
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Can I stream my iTunes library to the PS3? Because, you know, that's what it's for. And it does that really well. If that's not what you need doing, you probably wouldn't want one. OTOH, if that is what you need doing, the PS3 isn't much help, is it?

In other news, the Xbox 360 makes a dreadful radio.
  • Reply 137 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have both a PS3 and an ATv.

The PS3 can be used for that, as can the 360. But, it's much more work getting it to do so. And much more work keeping it doing so. On the other hand, unless you use third party software to add to the ATv ability to do things, something that Apple stated long ago, that they said was fine, it's more limited.

But, on the other hand, people who buy the ATv are getting exactly what they want without the other dreck they don't want..

First off let me say i wasnt trying to attack that guy, was just pointing out he'd be silly to think they wouldnt keep atleast keep up with competitive products in their own market.

I would say its not even 10 more minutes to get a PS3 or 360 setup to be talking with iTunes on your mac through using nullriver and view any content on your mac like stuff in iPhoto and stream HD movies (that are saved). The only one disadvantage is you dont stream directly from iTunes to your box for movies, but there is Netflix for that one. Oh and you have to have your mac on as well to stream, but i can deal with a marginally higher light bill lol.

Imagine if iTunes was on PS3 though...it would be pretty amazing and i dont even like iTunes lol.
  • Reply 138 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Can I stream my iTunes library to the PS3? Because, you know, that's what it's for. And it does that really well. If that's not what you need doing, you probably wouldn't want one. OTOH, if that is what you need doing, the PS3 isn't much help, is it?

In other news, the Xbox 360 makes a dreadful radio.

Yeah you can actually stream saved iTunes content from your Mac to your PS3 or 360. You just cant stream directly from Apple which is what the ATV does.

If the PS3 didnt have such a horrific browser and terrible flash compatibility id get rid of my Mini and keep my keyboard and magic mouse since they both sync with PS3 (sans flick scrolling)
  • Reply 139 of 259
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    This is something you'd expect from yum cha Chinese MP3 players, sold in the sidestreets of Shanghai alongside pirated software and movies, it is NOT something a company of Palm's stature should be involved with, to act with such desperation shows just how much of a failure they've become.

Quote:

...Palm spoofing iTunes vendor ID...

• Reply 140 of 259
    Quote:

First off let me say i wasnt trying to attack that guy, was just pointing out he'd be silly to think they wouldnt keep atleast keep up with competitive products in their own market.

I would say its not even 10 more minutes to get a PS3 or 360 setup to be talking with iTunes on your mac through using nullriver and view any content on your mac like stuff in iPhoto and stream HD movies (that are saved). The only one disadvantage is you dont stream directly from iTunes to your box for movies, but there is Netflix for that one. Oh and you have to have your mac on as well to stream, but i can deal with a marginally higher light bill lol.

Imagine if iTunes was on PS3 though...it would be pretty amazing and i dont even like iTunes lol.

You're forgetting that most people don't know about nulldriver. they would have to go on the forums, ask a bunch of questions, read the answers and sort through the correct ones and incorrect ones (if they can do that). get the software from the link, read how to install and use it, then do that.

To you or I, it's really not a big deal. But to most people out there, it's an impossible task.