Palm CEO, former Apple exec says he's never used an iPhone

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And the Apple TV is an overpriced Airport Express, without the AP support.

Well you never had one with ATVFlash or AppleTVHacks.
  • Reply 242 of 259
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1st View Post

Melgross, I really appreciated your reply. But HE is no other, He was the designer of the Apple ipod. What kind of vacuum is that? If he is anyone else, I would agree with you 100%.

HE, as in whom? You aren't fully enveloped by the distortion field, are you?

HE, got lucky. But then, along with the others in top management, saw a good thing, and made the right decisions from there.

Let's not write too much into it.
  • Reply 243 of 259
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It isn't really beta.

It's just that Apple is acknowledging that they haven't yet figured out what they want to do with it long term.

There is quite a hobby market that's grown up around it though as Apple treats it more like a computer than a closed device.

Jobs said to do whatever you want with it.

You can get keyboards, hard drives, Software that will allow 1080p playback. Software that will allow playback of just about any audio or video standard etc. Games are there too. Plugins that will let it work with Boxee.

Tons of stuff.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...addons&spell=1

It seems at times that Apple is letting this group of people decide what this thing is going to do.

So it's sort of open system... a bare-bone unit you can use as base to build into different things.

OK. I don't have problem with that.
  • Reply 244 of 259
    Quote:

I bought mine for BD playback as well, except for a couple of games. But my daughter and her friends used it for games all the time. Now that she's away in school, it remains idle unless we're watching a movie. But when she came home for vacation this past month, the game room was open again.

One reason they like it so much here, rather than at someone else's home is because of the 61" Tv and high end audio system connected to it.

Ah. I can hardly disagree with those kids
  • Reply 245 of 259
    Quote:

Yes, but his case is that this is a BIG use for the machine, which it's not. Same for the 360.

Hard to argue here without some solid statistics. I'd expect that majority of PS3 owners will use it for BR movies, maybe not right now but at some point in close future. Media streaming etc. I'd be surprised to come even remotely close. I might be wrong, though.
  • Reply 246 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

So it's sort of open system... a bare-bone unit you can use as base to build into different things.

OK. I don't have problem with that.

He was asked a question about that shortly after it came out. He said that if you bought it, you could do whatever you wanted with it.

People have taken him up on his word. I guess when he meant it was a hobby for Apple, he also meant that it could be a hobby for the owner.

Someone I know installed Linux. I've heard that people have installed Mac OS X, but I haven;t seen it.
  • Reply 247 of 259
    Quote:

Ah. I can hardly disagree with those kids

Yeah, Assassin's Creed II is pretty awesome on it.
  • Reply 248 of 259
    Quote:

Hard to argue here without some solid statistics. I'd expect that majority of PS3 owners will use it for BR movies, maybe not right now but at some point in close future. Media streaming etc. I'd be surprised to come even remotely close. I might be wrong, though.

I've read stats on this over time, though I admit I hadn't thought it necessary to bookmark them. Most owners do watch BR, but the primary use is for games. The 360 seems less important in the home entertainment area because of its lack if BR.
  • Reply 249 of 259
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Yeah, Assassin's Creed II...<INTERRUPT>

Yo melgross, Imma let you finish, but PC gaming with DX11 is the best way to play the latest games!

*sigh* If only that were really true.
  • Reply 250 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yo melgross, Imma let you finish, but PC gaming with DX11 is the best way to play the latest games!

It's interesting that the new Open GL is said to give Direct X a much better competitor, and that developers are looking at it instead, as a much more portable solution across platforms. That obviously means OS X and Linux. Apple is apparently scrambling to add it to 10.6, though I read that support may not be final until 10.7, as we now have 3.2 and 3.2 already.

How many games are written for DX 11? Not much of anything so far. There's always about a years' delay.
  • Reply 251 of 259
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:

HE, as in whom? You aren't fully enveloped by the distortion field, are you?

HE, got lucky. But then, along with the others in top management, saw a good thing, and made the right decisions from there.

Let's not write too much into it.

you are as lucky as he. It is not easy (at least not for me).
  • Reply 252 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1st View Post

you are as lucky as he. It is not easy (at least not for me).

What I was trying to say in my reply, in the same method of writing, was that Jobs first described the iPod as "a nice little product for us".

Only when it became so popular did Apple realize what they had. After that, they did the right things to get themselves where they are today.

The original product was very good, but the follow through was brilliant.
  • Reply 253 of 259
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

What I was trying to say in my reply, in the same method of writing, was that Jobs first described the iPod as "a nice little product for us".

Only when it became so popular did Apple realize what they had. After that, they did the right things to get themselves where they are today.

The original product was very good, but the follow through was brilliant.

I wonder if controlling vendors would have supported the Mac back then with their players that Apple wouldn?t have thought to make to their own player.
  • Reply 254 of 259
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

It's interesting that the new Open GL is said to give Direct X a much better competitor, and that developers are looking at it instead, as a much more portable solution across platforms. That obviously means OS X and Linux. Apple is apparently scrambling to add it to 10.6, though I read that support may not be final until 10.7, as we now have 3.2 and 3.2 already.

How many games are written for DX 11? Not much of anything so far. There's always about a years' delay.

DX10 was a huge dissapointment. For so many reasons I am too upset to get into. Upset when I think about DX10.

DX11 will take the whole of 2010 to see significant titles, though Dirt2 and Stalker:COP are looking nice in DX11 for the early adopters. Dirt2 on DX9 is very good, I've been playing for a few weeks now. Much better than Need For Speed: Shift where I wanted to punch the screen several times.

One massive problem is Nvidia doesn't have any DX11 GPUs until March, even then it's a big hot chip (Fermi) which will take another few months to filter down into desktop cards and then laptop GPUs (if even possible).

I think developers when targeting PC will go for DX9 and DX11, simply because DX11 gives you all the goodness of DX10 but with bonuses that *improve* performance like Tesselation.

So IMO DX9 + a sliver of DX11 will remain dominant on PC, but of course I would like to see if and how the latest OpenGL will shake things up.
  • Reply 255 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if controlling vendors would have supported the Mac back then with their players that Apple wouldn?t have thought to make to their own player.

I'm sorry but I don't quite get that sentence.
  • Reply 256 of 259
    Quote:

I've read stats on this over time, though I admit I hadn't thought it necessary to bookmark them. Most owners do watch BR, but the primary use is for games. The 360 seems less important in the home entertainment area because of its lack if BR.

It has to be matter of perception. PS3 was one of the first BR players, and is still being reviewed as very good one. As people perceive it as video player, it will be used for other media, not only BR.

I have HTPC, DVD player/recorder and PS3 plugged to my TV. I was always watching DVDs on DVD player rather than from PC, but since I've got PS3 I found myself popping DVDs in as well. Of course, there are other factors as well, like convenience and habit; proper DVD remote is more comfortable than diNovo Mini keyboard (thus I used to choose DVD rather than PC)... on the other hand, if last couple of movies I have seen were BR, I kind of developed a habit to load them into PS3, thus I might load DVD there next time without thinking much.

360 was probably one of the last DVD players out there, it is not breaking any new grounds regarding physical media playback... thus it is not getting required public perception to establish itself as DVD player, even if it is decent one.
  • Reply 257 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Only if they are done for PC, and if they are done right - number of lousy conversions from console to PC tend to be much higher than between consoles \
  • Reply 258 of 259
    Quote:

It has to be matter of perception. PS3 was one of the first BR players, and is still being reviewed as very good one. As people perceive it as video player, it will be used for other media, not only BR.

I have HTPC, DVD player/recorder and PS3 plugged to my TV. I was always watching DVDs on DVD player rather than from PC, but since I've got PS3 I found myself popping DVDs in as well. Of course, there are other factors as well, like convenience and habit; proper DVD remote is more comfortable than diNovo Mini keyboard (thus I used to choose DVD rather than PC)... on the other hand, if last couple of movies I have seen were BR, I kind of developed a habit to load them into PS3, thus I might load DVD there next time without thinking much.

360 was probably one of the last DVD players out there, it is not breaking any new grounds regarding physical media playback... thus it is not getting required public perception to establish itself as DVD player, even if it is decent one.

Right now, BR player sales are going like hotcakes. I'm seeing them on sale for as little as $89 for major brands, and regular price for $129. Movies are as little as $10.99 from what I'm seeing, and the average price is way down as well.

This was expected, though the recession has speeded it up. They'll be even cheaper next year, and will likely cost the same as DVD players, which will be withdrawn from the market as a result.
  • Reply 259 of 259
    Quote:

Only if they are done for PC, and if they are done right - number of lousy conversions from console to PC tend to be much higher than between consoles \

That's why Open GL 3.xx is exciting developers. If that will run on PC's and Macs, then with the features of the new versions, DirectX may not be seen as required.

That would make game conversions much easier, and given the same video card (yes, I know, I know!), performance should be at least as good on the Mac, possibly even better.