Claims of camera-equipped Apple tablet disputed

Comments

• Reply 41 of 132
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

This is probably the most certain of anything said in this thread.

Yeah. So many people are so SURE.

Whatever it is, even my wife, the frugal one, wants to get it when it comes out.

I said we could order it from the web site a few weeks after, but no, she insists we get it at the store. She enjoys the experience.
  • Reply 42 of 132
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    No camera? Not even a webcam?
  • Reply 43 of 132
    ndengndeng Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Why a 5MP camera on the outside? Is taking pictures with a 10" tablet a good idea?

Now days, cam can do more than just pic or vid, Scan bar code, ducs, image search, face detection, etc ... you name it....

most interesting thing is apple's front facing web cam can be hiden under the screen, can't remeber when but pattern filed last year... need to dig it a bit.
  • Reply 44 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is going to be fun to read in a couple of weeks.

You sound like you have inside knowledge...
  • Reply 45 of 132
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jackhead View Post

You sound like you have inside knowledge...

Yup!

I KNOW that people at Apple will be laughing.
  • Reply 46 of 132
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Yea, I'm not sure where I side on when it comes to having a camera or not having a camera... the issues to me and I'm quite sure Apple are just as they are with the iPhone and iPod touch...

Attempt to engineer the devices hardware and software in such a way as to minimize the battery usage as much as humanly possible.... and then add another 25% for good measure.

1 - Yes a 10" device will have more room for battery when compared to the iPhone/Touch but the screen is drawing a substantial amount of power too...

2 - Unlike a phone that doesn't see an enormous amount usage for prolonged periods (several hours) of time the tablet is far more likely to provide an experience where you could be making computing demands of it for much greater periods of time... Now ask a heavy iPhone Gamer who does use the phone ALOT each day how long his/her battery lasts... I'm betting it requires a recharge by or before dinner time.

Adding features like video conferencing would be child's play for Apple no questions asked but..

1 - Battery life may be an initial concern...

2 - Apple will purposefully not include it so the Slate v2.0 has some jazzy new stuff to wow people with.

I'm betting a combination of them both are the main reasons why we wouldn't see a camera in the initial tablet. Apple doesn't like to throw everything out in the first release of a brand new product line instead it does one or two major things really well and usually leaves the old timers asking 'Hey why didn't they include ????' but the fact is thats how Apple usually operates.

Did they offer 3G or GPS in the initial iPhone? (no)

Were they super cutting edge technologies that cost too much at the time? (no)

Were they dribbled out later after the phone was a success?

I see no reason why they'd act any differently now...
  • Reply 47 of 132
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nDeng View Post

Now days, cam can do more than just pic or vid, Scan bar code, ducs, image search, face detection, etc ... you name it....

most interesting thing is apple's front facing web cam can be hiden under the screen, can't remeber when but pattern filed last year... need to dig it a bit.

We've all seen that patent, I'd be surprised if it was ready for prime time though. I could see that coming to the tablet at some point, it would make a great scanner.

Your description of what cameras do includes both front and rear facing cameras do. I asked about 5MP rear facing camera. Why would you want to use a 10" tablet to take a picture of a bar code or a person? I see wireless sync between say your iPhone and the tablet (pictures taken on your iPhone wirelessly transfer to the tablet) to be more likely than a rear facing camera on a tablet . I don't see a webcam being there either, but I will admit that it could be. We'll see in a couple weeks.
  • Reply 48 of 132
    Quote:

My daughter video conferences using her MacBook Pro when she's in school in the UK, and either, when she's back here in the US.

I'm sure she'd find a way to do this with a tablet as well. She said she would.

You guys are thinking too corporate. It shows that you aren't in touch with the younger generation. They figure out ways to do things we wouldn't want to do.

They're way too something, not sure what. My dad is over 80 years old, and we're video chatting now. Neither one of us are exactly members of the younger generation. And it would have been even easier to set up if he was using a Mac.
  • Reply 49 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can see reasons to include it and exclude it. Video chat is the major reason to include it but how effective and useful will this be. How many people use their webcam for video chats outside of some initial novelty? Will this perpetually wireless device likely running ARM be a prime candidate for video chatting? I can see video chat being more useable on the iPhone than on a tablet.

This is completely off the mark. I can't count the number of people I know who use skype on a daily basis to speak with boses, coworkers, family, and friends over long distances. It doesn't cost anything and you can have a nice video chat and actually see the person over video.

Having said that, I don't know how useful skype would be on a tablet. I know one of the small things about macs that have drawn a lot of people in for the switch from PC are the cool easy things they have like photobooth. I personally know a girl who borrowed her friends macbook when her PC laptop died, and the easy way to take pictures of herself in photobooth and edit them (black and white, sepia, comic book, etc...) won her over and she bought a macbook.

So having the ability to play with photobooth on the go with you tablet could be fun.
  • Reply 50 of 132
    ndengndeng Posts: 14member
    Quote:

We've all seen that patent, I'd be surprised if it was ready for prime time though. I could see that coming to the tablet at some point, it would make a great scanner.

Your description of what cameras do includes both front and rear facing cameras do. I asked about 5MP rear facing camera. Why would you want to use a 10" tablet to take a picture of a bar code or a person? I see wireless sync between say your iPhone and the tablet (pictures taken on your iPhone wirelessly transfer to the tablet) to be more likely than a rear facing camera on a tablet . I don't see a webcam being there either, but I will admit that it could be. We'll see in a couple weeks.

let's think what you can/want to do with it:

Personal: book reading, web browsing, some doc works, music, voice and vid memo and many more ...

on top of personal? is Business: vid conferences, order taking like ipod touch in apple store now, but bigger can do more for other area like in & out guy out there taking your order ( if you are in CA) and it'll be not harder for other business to utilize with all apps available by then... and netbook? DEAD, notebook? i don't have one but won't have one once when tablet is on my hand. i have iphone from the first to 3gs, that's why i don't have a notebook.
  • Reply 51 of 132
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    No camera. No Buy.
  • Reply 52 of 132
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    One is the restrictions some of us have to deal with in respect to cameras. The easiest solution in these cases is to buy devices without cameras. If Apple is indeed targeting the corporate or medical worlds a model without a camera might be a requirement. Especially the medical world where there is an almost irrational demand for privacy.

The second issue is that some of us simply would prefer to not have the possibility of video conferencing built into a cell phone or tablet. Mostly that is due to the fear of having it turned on at the wrong time. ** This is assuming that you can turn it on and off as you see fit. Even outside of the embarrassing moments I'm not too thrilled with the idea of video conferencing.

Quote:

My daughter video conferences using her MacBook Pro when she's in school in the UK, and either, when she's back here in the US.

For personal use that is great if both parties enjoy it. I'm not here to say it would not be an attractive feature just that there are opposing issues. For Apple the smart thing would be to build device with and without.

Quote:

I'm sure she'd find a way to do this with a tablet as well. She said she would.

Actually I'm really wishing for standard USB ports on the tablet just for things like this. That is adding mobile hardware that Apple for what ever reason decided not to add. More importantly the tablet needs to support a kernel that allows for the installation of drivers.

Quote:

You guys are thinking too corporate. It shows that you aren't in touch with the younger generation. They figure out ways to do things we wouldn't want to do.

Well yes we are thinking corporate in some cases. That due to a solidly engineered tablet having a huge potential here. As to the younger generation that is very likely, I wasn't in touch when I was the younger generation!

However I think you mis something here too. Its the optical alignment of the camera on the tablet. Somebody mentioned the chin issue and frankly I see this as a real problem. A laptop or monitor can put that camera 12 or more inches above the table to make for a much more pleasing image. A table forces you to hand hold it in a pleasing position.

As a side note about answering a phone at the wrong time, the other day the phone went off while I was in the head. I instinctively answered it before even realizing that I was lets say tied up. If pervasive use of video phones becomes common that could be very embarrassing. One idea here is to make the feature location aware, so that when you are at Home all video functions get turned off.
  • Reply 53 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I haven't mentioned it much since everyone seems to expect a camera (and also since we know relatively nothing about the tablets specs), but it doesn't actually make sense for this thing to have a camera at all, and personally, I hope there isn't one.

So... we're hoping there's no camera on a product that may not even exist... got it.
  • Reply 54 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

This is completely off the mark. I can't count the number of people I know who use skype on a daily basis to speak with boses, coworkers, family, and friends over long distances. It doesn't cost anything and you can have a nice video chat and actually see the person over video.

Having said that, I don't know how useful skype would be on a tablet. I know one of the small things about macs that have drawn a lot of people in for the switch from PC are the cool easy things they have like photobooth. I personally know a girl who borrowed her friends macbook when her PC laptop died, and the easy way to take pictures of herself in photobooth and edit them (black and white, sepia, comic book, etc...) won her over and she bought a macbook.

So having the ability to play with photobooth on the go with you tablet could be fun.

I?m not sure how I can be ?completely off the mark? when I clearly stated that I can see pros and cons either way.

Your examples about Skype on the tablet mirror my own concerns and the use of PhotoBooth falls into the ?initial novelty? category I mentioned.

Personally, I think it will have a camera because I think it will be focused toward consumers first, corporate later, going by Apple?s product history.
  • Reply 55 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So... we're hoping there's no camera on a product that may not even exist... got it.

If it doesn?t exist then I assure you there will be no camera.
  • Reply 56 of 132
    Quote:

Altered Reality Apps.
  • Reply 57 of 132
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nDeng View Post

let's think what you can/want to do with it:

Personal: book reading, web browsing, some doc works, music, voice and vid memo and many more ...

on top of personal? is Business: vid conferences, order taking like ipod touch in apple store now, but bigger can do more for other area like in & out guy out there taking your order ( if you are in CA) and it'll be not harder for other business to utilize with all apps available by then... and netbook? DEAD, notebook? i don't have one but won't have one once when tablet is on my hand. i have iphone from the first to 3gs, that's why i don't have a notebook.

Oh I know there is stuff the tablet would be good for, I was just asking about the camera.
  • Reply 58 of 132
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Come on people, this is Apple we are talking about. They will give us just enough to get us to buy it while leaving us wanting more.

The first version won't have a camera. And a year later they will release gen 2 with a camera. Thus keeping the upgrade cycle going strong.
  • Reply 59 of 132
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

No camera. No Buy.

Hehe, I have seen this line a million times when the iPod touch was updated and the camera was "gone"... Still, all indicators point to a record quarter for touch sales.

I do not care if it has one or not; I will buy one, even if it has a camera (and my company will buy 50 or more if/once we can run our custom applications on it, as long as it does support CoreData we are fine). I will not do video chats on it (I look even worse when I have to look 90 degrees down) and using a 10" tablet as a camera is the last thing I need (unless it can truly replace a Linhof Technikardan S).
  • Reply 60 of 132
    cirecire Posts: 1member
    [QUOTE=dreamery;1548303]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Conflicting reports have emerged this week on whether Apple's forthcoming tablet will include a camera, with one company executive suggesting the device could be used for Web conferencing, while a technology pundit disputes those claims.

Who cares? Why don't we just wait and see

Yeas, whatever. I will get excited on the night of the 26th. Sort of like awaiting Santa on Christmas Eve.