Claims of camera-equipped Apple tablet disputed

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 132
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I think we're all in agreement that whatever Apple does, at least some of it will be things we could never have thought of, and, once we see it, we'll wonder why we didn't.

If they can make back touch work, intuitively and naturally, I'm all for it. I'm remain skeptical, however, although I'll be delighted to be proven wrong. And I'm pretty sure that if they can't make it intuitive and natural they won't do it, so.... win-win!
  • Reply 122 of 132
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Having said that, I'm sure there are touch gestures which haven't occurred to us that, once demonstrated, will seem like the most natural thing in the world and will take little to no effort to master.

One thing to bear in mind is that the original Fingerworks library of gestures were developed for a touch pad, not a touch screen. They don't assume that you're getting direct feedback under your fingers, so we have to factor that in when we consider what Apple might do.

I like this post much better than the one that preceded it.

I don't see Apple making some truly drastic change. Whatever they do, it must be comfortable to the majority of people.

That doesn't mean that they can't considerably extend what they've done. but only if most of those extensions aren't REQUIRED for useful operation of the tablet.

But we're back to the younger set. As long as this isn't TOO expensive, young people will relish new stuff to do what was difficult before. Look at how IMspeak has evolved. I admit that I don't understand half of it, but they do.

I'm sure than when the first typewriter came out in the 19th century, most people thought it too alien to use.
  • Reply 123 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't see Apple making some truly drastic change. Whatever they do, it must be comfortable to the majority of people.

That doesn't mean that they can't considerably extend what they've done. but only if most of those extensions aren't REQUIRED for useful operation of the tablet.

But we're back to the younger set. As long as this isn't TOO expensive, young people will relish new stuff to do what was difficult before. Look at how IMspeak has evolved. I admit that I don't understand half of it, but they do.

I'm sure than when the first typewriter came out in the 19th century, most people thought it too alien to use.

If kids can learn to type 60wpm on a freaking keypad, they can pretty much do anything.

Of course, for that to work Apple needs extremely widespread adoption, so much so that the new tablet UI becomes a natural part of being a kid. The only reason texting on phones is so second nature is that it became an absolute fixture, as common as watching television.

If a tablet were a successful but somewhat niche product, I don't think there would be the kind of peer pressure to master anything too arcane. Consider, too, that Apple seems to want to make devices useable by everyone. Although the iPod certainly became a mainstay of the younger set, there were no real barriers to entry for their parents.
  • Reply 124 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

• Reply 125 of 132
    Anyone remember a reoccurring feature in the old anthology magazine Heavy Metal called, I think, "1996"? It was from the late 70s, as I recall, and depicted a future where everyone spoke a kind of slurred over English that you have to look at a while to even decipher.

Oh cool, I found an image:

Looks like we made it.
  • Reply 126 of 132
    Quote:

If kids can learn to type 60wpm on a freaking keypad, they can pretty much do anything.

Of course, for that to work Apple needs extremely widespread adoption, so much so that the new tablet UI becomes a natural part of being a kid. The only reason texting on phones is so second nature is that it became an absolute fixture, as common as watching television.

If a tablet were a successful but somewhat niche product, I don't think there would be the kind of peer pressure to master anything too arcane. Consider, too, that Apple seems to want to make devices useable by everyone. Although the iPod certainly became a mainstay of the younger set, there were no real barriers to entry for their parents.

That's why I think it's got to be easily usable for those of us who are too set in our ways, and at the same time, allow others to fly with new stuff.

I've been reading some interesting things lately.

One article noted that there is already generation gaps between those who are 20, those who are 17, those who are 14, and even younger kids, in what they do, how they do it, and the number of items they can juggle in their "multitasking.
  • Reply 127 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Heh!

Good example.
  • Reply 128 of 132
    Quote:

Looks like we made it.

Sprak fur yurzelve.
  • Reply 129 of 132
    Quote:

Anyone remember a reoccurring feature in the old anthology magazine Heavy Metal called, I think, "1996"? It was from the late 70s, as I recall, and depicted a future where everyone spoke a kind of slurred over English that you have to look at a while to even decipher.

Oh cool, I found an image:

Looks like we made it.

Yeesh!
  • Reply 130 of 132
    Quote:

I started doing a a multi quote of several recent posts, then noticed that you summed it up.

I wasn't clear in my posts, but I agree that Apple needs to build upon what they have as a UI, not replace it.

You should be able to use the larger tablet for typing just as you use the iPhone-- no reason not to!

Some things, like 2-thumb typing, won't be practical because the area is too large for it-- of course they could add 2 small iphone virtual kbs. Probably, it would be easier to adapt to a split kb where part was on each side.

But, that doesn't mean that Apple needs to restrict the tablet key entry to that of the iPhone.

Given the base capability of the iPhone, they could support additional means of key entry. such as (but not limited to);

1) full-size QWERTY kb on the display

2) full-size Dvorak KB on the display

3) full-size stenotype kb on the display (100-300 wpm average)

4) auto-size versions of the above according to the user's hand size

5) all of the above using the back of the device

6) let the user customize any or all of the above to his needs-- a custom kb app

If Apple has robust enough hardware, software and patents they could offer a kind of leggo set where those who cared to could experiment and develop a better kb UI.

I have to believe that there is a better way than the old, familiar, QWERTY kb.

Finally, here's a surprising key entry contest:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=2025791097

• Reply 131 of 132
    If so..Planned Obsolescence.
  • Reply 132 of 132
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    The device does have a camera on front. I've been lucky enough to play with several prototypes and every single one had a forward facing camera, and a sim slot. This was about 1 1/2 years ago. The issue was since you are holding it most of the time, video conferencing will be shaky, but there are other uses.