Claims of camera-equipped Apple tablet disputed

Comments

• Reply 81 of 132
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    yes thats right

shoot me

mini rant time

mac tripper bitched so much about glare and reflection i know see refections all the time

every where

and TECHSTUD IS BYE BYE

he deserved to be wiped clean from our slice of cyber world

YET I MISS HIM SO MUCH

he was a daily punching bag for so many that he painted himself into a tight corner no matter what he said even if he said a tiny negative thing all the buttons he pushed in the past remained pushed

besides 610 and stolii and jeff and mell i would have a beer with TS over anyone here

I AM SO BORED w a i t i n g

8 days until tablet time
  • Reply 82 of 132
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    teckie is back. just pay better attention, dusty crab ...
  • Reply 83 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i think all this camera stuff is a smoke screen to hide the stylus

Maybe a camera in the stylus?
  • Reply 84 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

teckie is back. just pay better attention, dusty crab ...

he now wears a pink dress

its not the same
  • Reply 85 of 132
    Quote:

he now wears a pink dress

its not the same

Ah.

(Me foreigner then appearing to be happier, than someone who knows all details of those stupid ads...)
  • Reply 86 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacmatician View Post

Maybe a camera in the stylus?

wow

great idea

no kidding

a mini scanner stylus camera eye in the sky attachment

peace

and thank you for not putting me on your ignore list
  • Reply 87 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Absolutely right. And there will not be a camera. The percentage of people who would (try to) use this device to teleconference (beyond tweens playing with it for the novelty before they get bored with it) would be miniscule.

Can you imagine a multi user business conference, with people all holding these tablets out at arms-length; trying to hold them steady; trying to touch and scroll on things; meanwhile inside each participants video window, each talking-head is bobbing around; zooming in and out of frame.

It would be hilarious. People would get sea-sick.

Thank god Apple is a company that really thinks things through before moving forward. And even then; only one sure footed step at a time.

I don't know about positioning the device, but consider this:

1) if you are looking at the screen of the device to see the other participants, then your face must be in a position (somewhere) in front of the screen in order to see them-- whether the device is laid flat on the desktop, in your lap, propped up on a stand or held in your hand.

2) if you can see the screen (and its camera), then the camera can see you!

3) Even most medium-priced cameras have image-stabilization and face-alignment built-in-- these should be no-brainers for a tablet device

• Reply 88 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Ah.

(Me foreigner then appearing to be happier, than someone who knows all details of those stupid ads...)

i suggest some acoustic hendrix for what ails you

• Reply 89 of 132
    Quote:

i suggest some acoustic hendrix for what ails you

well I'm trying hard to make my stand. good for us we got better tunes
  • Reply 90 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

...So having the ability to play with photobooth on the go with you tablet could be fun.

Ya' know, that's a very good point! There are rumors of iWork on the Tablet-- I suspect that iLife would be would be a candidate, too-- at least some kind of photo and video manipulation better than what is currently on the iPhone 3GS.

Then there are 3rd-party IPhone apps such as AutoStitch which can stitch together a bunch of camera [roll] images to form a panorama... photoshop-lite type apps, etc.

With all these image-manipulation capabilities wouldn't it make sense to provide cameras to provide the images extemporaneously?

• Reply 91 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

On this topic, I'll take clues from the musings of a senior exec from a company that has 189 million telephone subscribers than some tech blogger (I've never heard of this guy -- but that's not saying much).

LOL, good point!

All in all, it escapes my mind why so many (I assume so) intelligent people on here are distracted by topics of low relevance regarding the Tablet, and mention almost nothing on the most important topic of all - namely, what kind of software is the Tablet going to sport? If it's a watered down Snow Leopard, I am a taker right away - camera or no camera, SIM slot or no SIM (or in other words, 3G or no 3G), GPS or no GPS, OLED or LCD ... However, if it is going to have only 'expanded' iPhone OS - thanks, no thanks. I am fine with my iPhone for now, including for reading the news on the go

In fact, the absolute majority of the people here have assumed that the Tablet will have iPhone OS. Why?

I don't see why nobody has predicted proper Mac OS (Snow Leopard mini, that is) for the Tablet?
  • Reply 92 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nDeng View Post

...order taking like ipod touch in apple store now, but bigger can do more for other area like in & out guy out there taking your order ( if you are in CA)

Funny, but I wrote a simple iPhone app (for my own amazement) that does InNOut ordering (like the guy out there).

It is a single screen app, you:

1) clear the screen

2) tally the order

3) total and transmit

I didn't include the secret menu (Animal-Style is my favorite).

The iPhone or Touch is quite powerful in its own right! We don' need no stinkin' Tablet!

There's an InNOut in Pasadena that's still in the same place since 1953-54!

• Reply 93 of 132
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Really, cameras are so cheap to add they'll put one it. I think Gruber is misguided on this one. It's a webcam, nothing new, it'll have one - just like all Macs.

Gruber, who's a responsible industry observer with a good track record, didn't say whether he believes there will be a web cam or not. His exact words were these:

"And, for what it?s worth, I?m hearing there is no camera, webcam or otherwise, on The Tablet."

Pretty non-committal, I'd say.

I went and listened to the original recording of the Orange exec interview in French and found it ambiguous. In summary, the interviewer said that they were hearing that the forthcoming Apple device would have a web cam, and asked if Orange subscribers would be able to use it too. The exec keeps replying "Yes," but that could just as well mean "Yes, we're all hearing the same rumours," and "Yes, if there's a web cam of course Orange subscribers would be able to use it."

It's kind of the difference between "Yes I hear you" and "Yes I agree with you."

So I wouldn't put too much stock in this interview either way.
  • Reply 94 of 132
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Funny, but I wrote a simple iPhone app (for my own amazement) that does InNOut ordering (like the guy out there).

Cute. You could name it I/O Order.

(Little tech joke. Very little. <g>)
  • Reply 95 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Hehe! InNOut would like that!

Nah!

I was thinking of: "ordering is as easy as one, t-t-t-t-t-two, three".

• Reply 96 of 132
    Quote:

First in, first out?
  • Reply 97 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

First in, first out?

I have always been a proponent for inventory accounting using the FINO method--

First In, Never Out

• Reply 98 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have always been a proponent for inventory accounting using the FINO method--

First In, Never Out

If you think about it (and I'd really rather not), FIFO is the most desirable method of handling food consumption routines. LIFO is the least desirable, in my experience.
  • Reply 99 of 132
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Gruber, who's a responsible industry observer with a good track record, didn't say whether he believes there will be a web cam or not. His exact words were these:

"And, for what it?s worth, I?m hearing there is no camera, webcam or otherwise, on The Tablet."

Pretty non-committal, I'd say.

One of Gruber's minions I see. You owe him nothing.
  • Reply 100 of 132
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

One of Gruber's minions I see. You owe him nothing.

And then you put your pinkie to your mouth and stroke the cat.