Consumers reluctant to spend above $700 for Apple tablet - study

Comments

• Reply 81 of 162
    Everyone is suggesting that the tablet will come with some data plan...it doesn't really make a lot of sense...

If this would be the case, customers should choose between an iphone or a tablet. Would you really trade your phone for a tablet? I don't think so... and how many of you would be willing to pay double monthly fees for unlimited surfing?...

Therefore...the tablet might be bound to a subcription, but i think will be sold more as mackbooks do. Can be subsided but not bound to a specific carrier.... Don't forget that in USA there are unlimited data plans, but in other countries, there is a limited plan...you cannot download more than a certain amount of data (i.e. in switzerland the limits depending on the subscription, are : 100MB, 250 MB, 2GB)

There are speculations on what OS would the tablet run. I don't think it will run an iphone OS. If i were apple i would want the tablet to be more like a macbook and share the software. In fact, it was said there is a Multitouch version of iWorks out there. Normally apple doesn't produce multi-platform software, the software is really distinct: either for the iphone, either for computers.

Imagine: would you be willing to buy 2 versions of iworks? one for your mac and one for the tablet? Wouldn't be too much work for apple to need to maintain both of them?...it would be convenient if they could keep sales of notebook the same as they are now and in addition sell the tablet, but as already said, the tablet will take out a market share from the notebook sales, therefore they cannot afford to double the development cost.

Dave
  • Reply 82 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I was thinking more along the lines of $899 being the ceiling......but I guess $700 is even better.

If you were replacing $3,000 worth of hardware, would $900 or $1,000 still be too much to ask? Impossible to tell until you know what it is you're buying.
  • Reply 83 of 162
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I have the 3G, what the heck do i need a second phone plan for? My guess is that two versions will be available. Or, there may be a USB slot for a mobile card, or an interface adapter to tether your iphone to it, that would be the hope i suppose.
  • Reply 84 of 162
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Bottom line is that a line of larger Touch-like devices ranging from about $500 up to around $700 would sell rather well. Hence, the question isn't why would Apple serve up such a product, the question is, why wouldn't Apple go there?

Who is gonna buy a 500-700 dollar giant iPod Touch? Im all for screen size but when im on the go i dont want a 10 inch screen tagging along with me. Maybe if i was like 14 and carried a backpack and still sitting in the backseat of my moms car id be interested in such a thing. It would be great on flights assuming it has ample storage to handle atleast 720p movies (for a device of this magnitude id expect nothing less).

It has to be more than an iPod/iPhone in features because if one can access nearly everything on this new tablet that you can on the aforementioned devices then why would you buy a tablet?
  • Reply 85 of 162
    Sounds crazy - but based on the conceived ideas of a eBook / pda style gadget it would be $700?

What about a device that can do a lot more than that?

There are 100s of MP3 manufacturers from everywhere - but Apple sells at a premium price.

This so called newton re-incarnation might completely fix the netbook market and may kill the lower end market and bring acceptance for Apple at a larger scale
  • Reply 86 of 162
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

little hard to say ... without knowing what it does

Not sure I can agree with this statement... It happens every year by millions of people on election day...
  • Reply 87 of 162
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I have the 3G, what the heck do i need a second phone plan for? My guess is that two versions will be available. Or, there may be a USB slot for a mobile card, or an interface adapter to tether your iphone to it, that would be the hope i suppose.

Maybe not a second plan, but a tethering option added to your 3g plan.
  • Reply 88 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Who is gonna buy a 500-700 dollar giant iPod Touch? Im all for screen size but when im on the go i dont want a 10 inch screen tagging along with me.

Like I said earlier, the Kindle DX is 9.7 inches, it has non-touch black and white display, it ONLY functions as an e-reader and it sells for $489. Even if the tablet only does what an iPod touch does (and Im sure it will do much more,) it would be a far better value the the Kindle DX..
  • Reply 89 of 162
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warp View Post

I'm very reluctant to purchase the Tablet until I actually saw the feature set and and there is an actual supply made available to sell...very reluctant.

Good thing no one is asking you to.

This analysis is an exactly an example of the type of decision making that some companies use, and Apple does not. If they had done a study like this, the original iPod never would have been developed, and the gold standard for "smart phones" would still be a crappy WinMobile device.
  • Reply 90 of 162
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warp View Post

I'm very reluctant to purchase the Tablet until I actually saw the feature set and and there is an actual supply made available to sell...very reluctant.

Yeah, I too, like to have a real product before I purchase.
  • Reply 91 of 162
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Who is gonna buy a 500-700 dollar giant iPod Touch? Im all for screen size but when im on the go i dont want a 10 inch screen tagging along with me. Maybe if i was like 14 and carried a backpack and still sitting in the backseat of my moms car id be interested in such a thing. It would be great on flights assuming it has ample storage to handle atleast 720p movies (for a device of this magnitude id expect nothing less).

It has to be more than an iPod/iPhone in features because if one can access nearly everything on this new tablet that you can on the aforementioned devices then why would you buy a tablet?

Actually I would want a big iPod touch. Easier to read and work with. I hate browsing the internet on my iPod touch.... But 10 inches is too big!
  • Reply 92 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Amazon Kindle DX is 9.7 inches, has a black and white non-touch display, and does one thing, acts as an e-reader.. It sells for $489.

I agree. Not that we know what this product has to offer but if half the rumors are true like being able to run a version of iLife or iWorks I cant see it going for only 700.00. If its just an e-reader or a larger version of a Touch then yeah I can see it going for 700.00
  • Reply 93 of 162
    Dunno about anyone else, but when I think "netbook", I think of low-cost laptop. Apple's pretty much going to be creating a new category all together with this new tablet.
  • Reply 94 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

And what exactly would be so wrong with a Touch that has a larger screen?

The Touch now serves as a reader, browser, organizer, gaming platform, and media player. Every one of those activities would be more enjoyable on a larger screen.

Where's the downside?

Apple kind of set this up back when it held it's presser for the Touch update, emphasizing that it has evolved into a pocket computer. Bringing out a version with a larger screen is a no-brainer next step in this line's evolution.

If I were Apple, I wouldn't even separate this unit from the iPod family, calling it the iPod whatever, as opposed to implying that it's a whole new sort of device. After all, it's not as if Apple has given any details regarding what it's going to present on Wednesday. If there was major disappointment over the fact that what we get is a larger Touch, Apple could correctly point out that it never did promise otherwise. In fact, it has promised absolutely nothing beyond being ready to unveil its latest creation. Apple can't be taken to task over rumours. Some will try but that would be exceedingly lame.

Bottom line is that a line of larger Touch-like devices ranging from about $500 up to around $700 would sell rather well. Hence, the question isn't why would Apple serve up such a product, the question is, why wouldn't Apple go there?

Nothing would be wrong with a touch that has a larger screen. The downside I guess it depends on what you wanted it to do. If all you wanted was a Touch then that would be fine but for those that want it to have a version of SL and run a new UI, running a version of iLife and iWorks then those will will be rather disappointed.
  • Reply 95 of 162
    They assume the tablet will be an e-reader or giant iPhone.

They are wrong. And there is less than a week before they find out this and change their minds.
  • Reply 96 of 162
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I agree. Not that we know what this product has to offer but if half the rumors are true like being able to run a version of iLife or iWorks I cant see it going for only 700.00. If its just an e-reader or a larger version of a Touch then yeah I can see it going for 700.00

if they're going to price is 200-300 shy of the macbook (white), then i would buy the macbook.
  • Reply 97 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Like I said earlier, the Kindle DX is 9.7 inches, it has non-touch black and white display, it ONLY functions as an e-reader and it sells for $489. Even if the tablet only does what an iPod touch does (and Im sure it will do much more,) it would be a far better value the the Kindle DX..

And how good of a seller is that unit? You're comparing Apples and Oranges and then trying to justify a price point based on that faulty comparison.
  • Reply 98 of 162
    ...it's over about $600 dollars. You can get a laptop or netbook for dirt cheap nowadays. If I have to get another ATT 3G data plan. Deal breaker for me. They are raping me now with $30/month. I would not spend more for a data plan.
  • Reply 99 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

And how good of a seller is that unit? You're comparing Apples and Oranges and then trying to justify a price point based on that faulty comparison.

Actually, you missed my point entirely..

People are complaining about the rumored $700 pricepoint for the Mac tablet.. I was trying to put things in perspective by simply stating that a far less capable device is on the market for $500.
  • Reply 100 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

...it's over about $600 dollars. You can get a laptop or netbook for dirt cheap nowadays. If I have to get another ATT 3G data plan. Deal breaker for me. They are raping me now with $30/month. I would not spend more for a data plan.

And who said the tablet won't be actually a netbook killer? Apple? They didn't. The press? Those anal-ysts? Well, now we know what's wrong.