Mac OS X 10.6.3 to deliver QuickTime, 64-bit Logic, OpenGL enhancements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by transocean View Post

I personally find it ridiculous: almost 700 MB update and basically just one QT update, the rest is only for those who use Logic software. Why not to make a patch aside: download it only if you use it?

Also those downloadable updates are huge especially if u compare it to the size of the OS.

You're underestimating what will be included in the update.
  • Reply 22 of 107
    Quote:

I personally find it ridiculous: almost 700 MB update and basically just one QT update, the rest is only for those who use Logic software. Why not to make a patch aside: download it only if you use it?

Also those downloadable updates are huge especially if u compare it to the size of the OS.

My guess is that some of the underlying updates to QuickTime X improve Logic performance.

As mentioned earlier, my suspicion is that the bulk of the download size is actually new printer drivers. I do hope that Apple Software Update will be able to recognize what printer drivers are installed on my system (none really) and download the appropriate updates. This is a developer release, so it's reasonable to assume that all updates are provided, and the mechanism that generates delta updates is not enabled. Thus, developers that only use HP printers are still getting new drivers for Epson, Lexmark, Canon, etc. printers.
  • Reply 23 of 107
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Wow! 665+ megabyte! So Snow Leopard isn't really out of beta yet.

That's ok, I can wait further, Leopard is running just fine on my machine.

Files are replaced, not patched. There is no direct connection betwen OS quality and update size.
  • Reply 24 of 107
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Doesn't perian let you do that? I know I've had to mess about with that issue before.

It does to an extent but the performance is not as good as native codecs. Also, you have to launch QT in 32 bit mode. I'm still playing with different work arounds.
  • Reply 25 of 107
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Try http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/ as a temporary solution. The responsible party probably is Adobe. Are you using Safari 4? It will run plug-ins like Flash in a separate process from Safari.

I am, and I usually have to force quit the plugin within Activity Viewer so that Safari can respond. I know Adobe is partly to blame, which is the reason why I'm glad YouTube and Vimeo have switched to HTML5.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Flash is not Apple's responsibility. It's Adobe's. And Adobe shows no sign of caring about mac functionality. That's why many of us avoid Flash entirely, or use ClickToFlash.

I use clicktoflash, but a lot of the content on the web is flash-based, so there is no way of avoiding it...I've whitelisted a few sites that crash Safari.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I had this problem all the time and saw a post in one of these Apple rumor sites that pointed me to instructions on how to completely remove all components of flash. After I did that and reinstalled the latest version (non-beta) and it hasn't crashed for quite awhile now. I had forgot about the crashes until you mentioned it.

I've done this and I refuse to do a clean install on my macbook pro because of flash, but maybe I missed something. I'd appreciate a link to the site you got the info from so that I can double check...thanks in advance.

Quote:

Use Firefox, it just got upgraded to 3.6 and is a lot faster.

Install the NoScript ad-on, it's a firewall of sorts for scripts, so they won't run without your ok first.

Be surprised how much hostile crap is going on using Flash, Java and Javascript, also click jacking attempts, web bugs, etc.

Install the BetterPrivacy add-on to automatically erase hidden Flash cookies that are used to track you.

I have Firefox 3.6 (not the release candidate), but every time I click on a link, there CPU use spikes to as high as 85%. It is fine when I'm not running other apps, but I usually run three or four apps at a time, one for statistical analysis so that by itself, is a resource hog. I haven't tried those ad-ons, so I guess I'll give them a try...it's just frustrating trying to do anything in the web with all the damn crashes.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Doesn't perian let you do that? I know I've had to mess about with that issue before.

Perian works great.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Quicktime does need fixing, for sure. Like it or not .wmv has been pretty much established, you can't have quicktime not being able to skip ahead...

I think you are confusing a lot of different things here. Quicktime X is a work in progress for certain, and lacks many major features, but *.wmv (actually a format not a player), is one of the worst codecs out there. Ubiquity does not equate to "good."

I am hoping that the whole Quicktime X -> Quicktime 7 kludge can be ditched finally. it just doesn't work that well and when it fails, it often takes the whole video subsystem with it. It has caused me to re-sintall the entire quicktime package a couple of times which is beyond the capabilities of the average user and shouldn't be necessary at all. It makes OS-X feel like Windows when you have to do stuff like that.
  • Reply 28 of 107
    Quote:

Wow! 665+ megabyte! So Snow Leopard isn't really out of beta yet.

That's ok, I can wait further, Leopard is running just fine on my machine.

You're missing out. Snow Leopard is just like Leopard but cleaner, more stable and faster. Unless you have really old gear, there is no reason to wait.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

At this point, I only care about one problem, a big problem: Flash. APPLE, FIX F*CKING FLASH CRASHES IN SAFARI!!

I don't have any problems with Flash in Safari. But Apple isn't to blame. How about Adobe? They wrote the software.
  • Reply 30 of 107
    Quote:

You don't know much about computers or software do you?
  • Reply 31 of 107
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I personally find it ridiculous: almost 700 MB update and basically just one QT update, the rest is only for those who use Logic software.

No that is not the correct take on what a developer release like this is. What they are highlighting is the stuff they want developers to look at carefully since the last beta release. If you follow the release materials for each beta you will find out what has been workers on since the last. In this case the are telling developers that Quicktime X needs heavy testing as do print drivers or whatever else was highlighted. The last beta may have focused on Quicktime, OpenGL or whatever.

The size of the patch reflects the fact that a lot of fixes and improvements are being rolled into this update. This is a good thing, as it should lead to faster more stable performance.

Quote:

Why not to make a patch aside: download it only if you use it?

The primary reason is likely to be stability. Install a 10.6.x update and everybody knows exactly what your system capabilities are. Software then can determine reliably if the current installation is compatible.

Your suggested approach would make for highly unstable Macs similsr to what use to be .dll hell in Windows.

Quote:

Don't complain. Really that means that we get a lot of fixes, improvements and new features. For example the OpenGL 3.x support could be seen as a new feature. There are likely to be other goodies too. We might even see heavier use of GPUs. I know the downloads are painful but they are worth it in the long run.

Dave
  • Reply 32 of 107
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

I have Firefox 3.6 (not the release candidate), but every time I click on a link, there CPU use spikes to as high as 85%. It is fine when I'm not running other apps, but I usually run three or four apps at a time, one for statistical analysis so that by itself, is a resource hog. I haven't tried those ad-ons, so I guess I'll give them a try...it's just frustrating trying to do anything in the web with all the damn crashes.

I only get FF 3.6 link spikes to about 40%, then again I'm on Leopard.

Perhaps it's the new Grand Central in Snow Leopard that's responsible.

My advice is clone the whole boot drive to the external here's how:

http://theappleblog.com/2010/01/12/h...-to-a-new-mac/

Repair permisisons on both after any clone (somehow omitted in the how too) and hold option boot from the clone and check everything out, run it for some time and see if your problem continues. If it doesn't then you know it's most likely the drive.

Erase with Zero option (Disk Utility) the boot drive (will delete all data!!), this will map off bad sectors on your boot drive. Then clone the clone back onto the original boot drive. See how that works.

You can also just do a complete OS install after the erase, if you still have problems, it could be a bad OS disk or simply the OS itself.

You could need more RAM, it could be the machine, it could be Apple trying to get you to upgrade.

Sorry this and the OP post should have gone in the Genius Thread, mods can help with that.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're missing out. Snow Leopard is just like Leopard but cleaner, more stable and faster. Unless you have really old gear, there is no reason to wait.

Yes there are, a couple of dozen paid app upgrades...money better spent on a iTablet.

I've beta tested a lot of Apple software over the years, this time I'm sitting it out.

Just tired of pulling my hair out, it's supposed to "just work" as long as one doesn't mess with it. But Apple is messing with things, improving, adding features and etc., like normal. At least I have a choice, not to upgrade and stick with Leopard.

Leopard had some downright nightmares, serious security issues etc., for like 8-10 months after release. I can't go through that with the two dozen people I take care of again. It looks bad on Apple and it looks bad on me.

All my newbies are on Leopard, I don't get any phone calls...peace and quiet... zzzzz
  • Reply 34 of 107
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:

I use clicktoflash, but a lot of the content on the web is flash-based, so there is no way of avoiding it...I've whitelisted a few sites that crash Safari.

?but I usually run three or four apps at a time, one for statistical analysis so that by itself, is a resource hog. I haven't tried those ad-ons, so I guess I'll give them a try...it's just frustrating trying to do anything in the web with all the damn crashes.

Just to clarify what a whitelist is:

whitelisting |ˈ(h)wītˌlisti ng |

noun Computing

the use of antispam filtering software to allow only specified e-mail addresses to get through.

So you would not whitelist the sites that are prone to crash.

You also have the option of running only the Safari application when viewing web sites.

I'm not trying to excuse your situation. Adobe, IMO, is not the company of yore, and is struggling nowadays for whatever internal reasons. This came to my attention after reading a book about Adobe Acrobat. I was floored by how many functions were supported in the Windows version but not in the Mac version. It was obvious where Adobe's focus was.
  • Reply 35 of 107
    Quote:

Yes there are, a couple of dozen paid app upgrades...money better spent on a iTablet.

I've beta tested a lot of Apple software over the years, this time I'm sitting it out.

Just tired of pulling my hair out, it's supposed to "just work" as long as one doesn't mess with it.

All my schoolies are on Leopard, I don't get any phone calls...peace and quiet... zzzzz

I know what you're saying. I just think you picked the wrong time to get conservative. Other than the mess that is Quicktime X, Snow Leopard is rock solid IMO and not one of those times when it feels like you have a beta in your hands.

Actually, to be honest Leopard was a bit like that when it first came out (kinda scary and unstable a bit). Snow Leopard is kind of like the big patch for Leopard IMO, but to each their own etc.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I know what you're saying. I just think you picked the wrong time to get conservative. Other than the mess that is Quicktime X, Snow Leopard is rock solid IMO and not one of those times when it feels like you have a beta in your hands.

Actually, to be honest Leopard was a bit like that when it first came out (kinda scary and unstable a bit). Snow Leopard is kind of like the big patch for Leopard IMO, but to each their own etc.

Ok, thanks. I'll think about it. :cool:
  • Reply 37 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I don't have any problems with Flash in Safari. But Apple isn't to blame. How about Adobe? They wrote the software.

Actually, you are wrong. I've had many crashes in Safari with flash that don't occur under other browsers. I don't even mind that something goes wrong with the flash being played by Safari, it happens. What I don't like is that when this type of thing occurs it takes the entire browser down. Not good.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    I wish it would play more formats. Until then VLC is my primary video player.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavfan1 View Post

I wish it would play more formats. Until then VLC is my primary video player.

Such as?
  • Reply 40 of 107
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It is unlikely that a minor maintenance OS release would have significant changes to functionality..

I'm not talking about changes to the existing UI but rather new or enhanced apps that ship with it. With talk of subscription services for TV content and cloud iTunes it would be natural that QuickTime, Front Row, and iTunes at the very least would see some enhancements if the rumors are true.