Mac OS X 10.6.3 to deliver QuickTime, 64-bit Logic, OpenGL enhancements

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

I agree. I am hoping that a enhanced 64-bit capable QT in SL 10.6.3 will be compatible (import/export) with a 64- bit capable iLife10. I have iLife08, but found that exporting to QT required QT7. I understand that iLife09 can export to the current QTX, but also, they are only 32-bit capable. It will be interesting what functions will be added back into QT, and what new functions will be in both QTX and iLife10 or perhaps iLifeX. iLife09 came out in Jan09 and is due for an update. Plus, possible tie-ins with this so-called tablet?

iLife 10 would be nice. I skipped 09 as well, but will consider getting 10. Apple's media agenda would require enhancements to existing apps in SL so we'll see what they have in store on the 27th.
  • Reply 42 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavfan1 View Post

I wish it would play more formats. Until then VLC is my primary video player.

You are still starting an app?

Quicklook with Perian works so well.
  • Reply 43 of 107
    Quicktime X is so far the only application on the Mac that I have found that can play 1080p h.264 files with bitrates (occasionally) above 30mbps.* That's because it uses the GPU, although only for mp4/m4v wrappers around h.264 with AAC audio. It would be really nice to have the types of formats processed by the GPU expanded, or even just AC3 audio inside mp4 wrappers.

*I've tried Perian, VLC, MPlayer extended, Plex, and XBMC, which are successful in about that order, but QTX is the best for high-bitrate h.264 if you can be bothered to convert your files.
  • Reply 44 of 107
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I'd be happy if the only thing they did was write a poorly performing sub-par graphic driver for Snow Leopard... being that the current graphics drivers for Snow Leopard are so absurdly bad that a poorly performing sub-par graphics driver would be a HUGE upgrade. \
  • Reply 45 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'm not talking about changes to the existing UI but rather new or enhanced apps that ship with it. With talk of subscription services for TV content and cloud iTunes it would be natural that QuickTime, Front Row, and iTunes at the very least would see some enhancements if the rumors are true.

It is unlikely that Apple would debut access of new media services with a minor maintenance release of the operating system, 10.6.3, which is the software that you were referring to (the topic of this particular discussion).

Again, this would be functionality most likely released with a new version of iTunes.

And again, next week's announcement are expected to be previews of products to be released in a couple of months, not something immediately available.

Look, no one here is denying the possibility of the functionality that you describe. However, this is a thread about the OS X 10.6.3 update. It is unlikely that the functionality enhancements you describe would be introduced in a minor maintenance release based on Apple's historical behavior with minor maintenance releases.
  • Reply 46 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Milford View Post

Quicktime X is so far the only application on the Mac that I have found that can play 1080p h.264 files with bitrates (occasionally) above 30mbps.* That's because it uses the GPU, although only for mp4/m4v wrappers around h.264 with AAC audio. It would be really nice to have the types of formats processed by the GPU expanded, or even just AC3 audio inside mp4 wrappers.

*I've tried Perian, VLC, MPlayer extended, Plex, and XBMC, which are successful in about that order, but QTX is the best for high-bitrate h.264 if you can be bothered to convert your files.

Ok but have they added much support beyond the 9400m? Like for the putrid intel graphics chip? Over all I like snow kitty and run it on all my machines except my mac mini with the intel graphics because video playback was worse on that machine with snow leopard.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

I would love to see an update that allows QTX to play .m4v/.mp4 files that have a AC3 soundtrack.

Doesn?t Perian work for you? I tested it with HD file in MKV container with H.264 video codec and AC3 audio codec
  • Reply 48 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Quicktime does need fixing, for sure. Like it or not .wmv has been pretty much established, you can't have quicktime not being able to skip ahead...

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't bought the company who writes Flip4Mac; if they include the full blown version with the next copy of Mac OS X so that you can encode, decode etc. wmv and wma files - it would be worth paying for. Apple need to really push it up a notch, I can understand Snow Leopard introduced a new, stripped down version of Quicktime, hopefully it'll provide a great platform to expand support further than what it does right now.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't bought the company who writes Flip4Mac; if they include the full blown version with the next copy of Mac OS X so that you can encode, decode etc. wmv and wma files - it would be worth paying for. Apple need to really push it up a notch, I can understand Snow Leopard introduced a new, stripped down version of Quicktime, hopefully it'll provide a great platform to expand support further than what it does right now.

I thought this company was purchased by Microsoft. That would give them the advantage of accessing code before it was released to the general public.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavfan1 View Post

I wish it would play more formats. Until then VLC is my primary video player.

http://perian.org/
  • Reply 51 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Something tells me this release will have some new features beyond what is rumored or known. That something is the Jan 27th event.

Hopefully it will mean fully Cocoa itunes by then - it has been ages since there has been a robust update.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I thought this company was purchased by Microsoft. That would give them the advantage of accessing code before it was released to the general public.

Umm, if you google the company who makes it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telestream

Quote:

Telestream, Inc. is a privately held provider of software and hardware products with headquarters located in Nevada City, California.

• Reply 53 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

Hopefully it will mean fully Cocoa itunes by then - it has been ages since there has been a robust update.

They have to some app on the tablet for playing media, I?m sure it will written in Cocoa, but I doubt it?ll be the iTunes we?ll see on a desktop. Since I think this will be an accessory device it doesn?t need a windowed version of iTunes with options for burn discs and store in Finder in many ways. Likely more like QuickTime X Lite, which the full version of the Cocoa/65-bit rewrite of Quicktime X coming in September at the next iPod Special Event.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

At this point, I only care about one problem, a big problem: Flash. APPLE, FIX F*CKING FLASH CRASHES IN SAFARI!!

Go to Adobe and download Flash 10.1 beta and test how it's working on 10.5/10.6.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I know what you're saying. I just think you picked the wrong time to get conservative. Other than the mess that is Quicktime X, Snow Leopard is rock solid IMO and not one of those times when it feels like you have a beta in your hands.

I would only slightly rephrase that to indicate Snow Leopard with the latest update. I had a few issues in the beginning but the updates that have come along have really firmed up Snow Leopard in my mind. I went to 64 bit booting within two weeks and haven't looked back. I'm not sure if being in 64bit land is what has made Safari stable for me or the fact that I use Click to Flash, but I really can't complain.

Quote:

Actually, to be honest Leopard was a bit like that when it first came out (kinda scary and unstable a bit). Snow Leopard is kind of like the big patch for Leopard IMO, but to each their own etc.

Well I wouldn't call it that, Snow Leopard introduces a whole new world of capabilities for developers. Besides that some of the Apple supplied apps got real snappy with Snow Leopard.

By the way for the fence sitters still listening, Snow Leopard is problem free. No Operating System can be perfect so don't think that it is. What SL did was clear up a bunch of issues I was having with Leopard right off the bat. After that it has just gotten better and better.

If anyone cares one of those issues was WiFi networking which is significantly better under SL. There where a few others but the networking issue I struggled with so I haven't forgotten.

Dave
  • Reply 56 of 107
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I'd be happy if the only thing they did was write a poorly performing sub-par graphic driver for Snow Leopard... being that the current graphics drivers for Snow Leopard are so absurdly bad that a poorly performing sub-par graphics driver would be a HUGE upgrade. \

The first thing I'd haveto ask is which GPU is causing you so much trouble? My early 2008 MBP has been fairly decent under SL. However I've seen some interesting reportage on the web that highlights your point. Linux GPU drivers often perform better. Now that hurts. I'm really hoping that when the next release comes out we will see the bench marking crowd tear into SL again. Because right now GPU usage is a mixed bag.

Dave
  • Reply 57 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Ok but have they added much support beyond the 9400m? Like for the putrid intel graphics chip? Over all I like snow kitty and run it on all my machines except my mac mini with the intel graphics because video playback was worse on that machine with snow leopard.

On my MacBook Pro 4,1 (8600 GT), playing a specific 1080p h264 video in QT7 on Leo was quasi-saturating the CPU at 98%. The occasional spike made the video quite choppy. On Snowy with QTX, it hovers at 60%, tops.
  • Reply 58 of 107
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Nearly everyone is using h.264 video these days, it's just the AVI container that Quicktime doesn't understand. Too bad to miss out on playing the majority of movies for a simple container format.
  • Reply 59 of 107
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    QuickTime and Logic. Bravo, the two programs that clearly have the most issues.

QuickTime X was released prematurely. It's not ready. And Logic... what the heck is going on there? It just keeps crashing, mixing up samples with conflicting names in Ultrabeat and stuff.

I think most of the Mac OS X staff is working on the tablet OS, and that's why most of the issues around Snow Leopard are basically unattended to. Dream-Team is busy..
  • Reply 60 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Actually, you are wrong. I've had many crashes in Safari with flash that don't occur under other browsers.

He's not necessarily wrong at all, this still doesn't prove that the problem is with Apple. Other browsers might deal with Flash's inability to do what it is supposed to in a different manner to Safari. Either way, Flash is an incredibly poor piece of programming.