Mac OS X 10.6.3 to deliver QuickTime, 64-bit Logic, OpenGL enhancements

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Mac Pro 2008 dual 2.8. 16gig ram, nVidea 8800gt video. Leopard is on the stock HDD, bought a 10k rpm Velociraptor drive for snow leopard.

Leopard out performs SL in almost every situation, except for osx GUI.

There are no video card upgrades for SL. You can buy more expensive cards, however, they run at about 33-35% of their potential because SL is beta garbage and Apple ripped me off $30.

My recommendation to my clients is still 'Do not install'. With Apple complacent to be a complete joke when it comes to video drivers/options... I don't see this next patch changing my recommendation.

I was wondering why OS X would be to blame, as Windows and Linux you generally need to contact the manufacturer for driver updates for things like this. However, I did that and see why you're pissed.

This is the site for OpenCL drivers:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opencl-download.html

You need to fill out a form to get there so here are some screen shots:

Kind of sucks you can't just grab updates on your own from nVidia. Also, note they call it Showleopard. Wtf.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Kind of sucks you can't just grab updates on your own from nVidia. Also, note they call it Showleopard. Wtf.

At least Nvidia is as consistent with their attention to detail with their website as they are to their drivers and chips. \
  • Reply 83 of 107
    Quote:

I was wondering why OS X would be to blame, as Windows and Linux you generally need to contact the manufacturer for driver updates for things like this. However, I did that and see why you're pissed.

This is the site for OpenCL drivers:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opencl-download.html

You need to fill out a form to get there so here are some screen shots:

Why pissed at Apple? Did anybody read the Release Notes?
  • Reply 84 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Why pissed at Apple? Did anybody read the Release Notes?

They are released with OS X updates, not available otherwise. What did I miss?
  • Reply 85 of 107
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Mac Pro 2008 dual 2.8. 16gig ram, nVidea 8800gt video. Leopard is on the stock HDD, bought a 10k rpm Velociraptor drive for snow leopard.

Leopard out performs SL in almost every situation, except for osx GUI.

There are no video card upgrades for SL. You can buy more expensive cards, however, they run at about 33-35% of their potential because SL is beta garbage and Apple ripped me off $30.

My recommendation to my clients is still 'Do not install'. With Apple complacent to be a complete joke when it comes to video drivers/options... I don't see this next patch changing my recommendation.

You might find this interesting, confirms your post.

http://www.barefeats.com/nehal16.html

What Rob says is:

Quote:

In most cases, the 3D apps ran faster under "Leopard" 10.5.8 or the initial release of "Snow Leopard" 10.6.0. We expect the "Snow Leopard" drivers will continue to "evolve" as time passes.

Except of course performance got worse with the later update of SL.

Perhaps Apple waited until the early adopters gave the "all clear" and socked the 3D performance hit in the later update. Question is why?
  • Reply 86 of 107
    Quote:

they are released with os x updates, not available otherwise. What did i miss?

NVIDEA RELEASE NOTES as referenced:

Quote:

v. Known issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Opencl - opengl interop is not supported.

2. On windows vista and windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) with driver 190.89, multi-gpu configurations and applications may not obtain parallel scaling for opencl apps from use of a second or additional gpu's.

3. On mac osx snowleopard (10.6.) the following 4 sdk samples are not included with the opencl sdk package. These samples are not currently working on osx snowleopard. We (nvidea) are working to resolve these issues.

- oclfdtd3d

- oclquasirandomgenerator

- oclsimpleconvolution

- oclparticles

By the way, it is the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer, in this case NVidia, to create the updated drivers. Normally, the updated drivers for the respective OS would be submitted by VNidia for rigorous testing to obtain a digital signature and subsequent update release. Obviously NVidia would have had a pre-release of Snow Leopard to develop their necessary drivers.

As evidenced, most hardware manufacturers do not update all their drivers and depending on what side of the fence you are sitting on, with good reason.

http://www.narlo.com/index.cfm/refer...579/item/2851/
  • Reply 87 of 107
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    better compatibility with third party printers si a good thing.

i'm tired if using my 22 year-old "first party" apple laserwriter.
  • Reply 88 of 107
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're missing out. Snow Leopard is just like Leopard but cleaner, more stable and faster. Unless you have really old gear, there is no reason to wait.

My MacBook is the last pro with pciexptess card in early 08, the form I saw said it was 64 bit capable. Just wondering why I can't get it to work with SL by holding down the two six and four buttons plus I wonder if the 32 bit will get a fast booast as every OS update, they always gave you more bang fir your buck with the exception of. OpenGL. That still runs slower than leopard.
  • Reply 89 of 107
    Just wondering the best way to iodate. Combo or via software updatec?

I lack the reason why some prefer ine method over the other.

Thanks.

Quote:

By the way, it is the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer, in this case NVidia, to create the updated drivers. Normally, the updated drivers for the respective OS would be submitted by VNidia for rigorous testing to obtain a digital signature and subsequent update release. Obviously NVidia would have had a pre-release of Snow Leopard to develop their necessary drivers.

As evidenced, most hardware manufacturers do not update all their drivers and depending on what side of the fence you are sitting on, with good reason.

• Reply 90 of 107
    Quote:

They are released with OS X updates, not available otherwise. What did I miss?

He might be referring to the build release notes.
  • Reply 91 of 107
    Quote:

Sorry, but Apple's OpenCL stack is not the same as Nvidia's. You can download and play with it along with CUDA for Mac just like you can play with the 2.0 SDK Streams Stack and their OpenCL implementation.

When Apple releases their stack they will have accompanying APIs specific to leveraging the changes to OpenGL and OpenCL they've made in OS X 10.6.3 and beyond.

Apple's OpenCL/OpenGL stacks are built upon LLVM and Clang.

Clang 1.1 is moving full-steam ahead and I'd imagine when LLVM 2.7 is released in time for WWDC we'll see a lot of Apple's core systems being built upon LLVM/Clang.

http://llvm.org/Users.html

Quote:

Mac OS X 10.6 (and later): The OpenCL GPGPU implementation is built on Clang and LLVM compiler technology. This requires parsing an extended dialect of C at runtime and JIT compiling it to run on the CPU, GPU, or both at the same time. In addition, several performance sensitive pieces of Mac OS X 10.6 were built with llvm-gcc such as OpenSSL and Hotspot. Finally, the compiler_rt library has replaced libgcc and is now a part of libsystem.dylib.

Xcode 3.2 (and later): Clang is now included as a production quality C and Objective-C compiler that is available for use in Xcode or from the command line. It supports X86-32/X86-64 and builds code 2-3x faster than GCC in "-O0 -g" mode. Many "developer tools" GUI apps were shipped built with Clang, including Xcode, Interface Builder, Automator, and several others.

Xcode 3.2 (and later): The Xcode Static Analyzer is built on the Clang static analyzer, and allows Xcode users easy access to the Clang Static Analyzer as well as a first class user interface to dig through and visualize results.

• Reply 92 of 107
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

At this point, I only care about one problem, a big problem: Flash. APPLE, FIX F*CKING FLASH CRASHES IN SAFARI!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Try http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/ as a temporary solution. The responsible party probably is Adobe. Are you using Safari 4? It will run plug-ins like Flash in a separate process from Safari.

Thanks... couldn't have said it better myself...
  • Reply 93 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

Flash is a disgrace on OSX right now. Abode should be mortified by this fact and I'd say that Abode are ignore Mac flash at their peril. Once it's gone from Youtube, the rest of the industry won't be far behind implementing Html 5 native movie streaming.

Then Flash will just be like Real media - a brief moment in internet history.

To those holding off using click-to-flash - don't! It really works - non-invasive and a joy not having tons of stupid Ad banners randomly lurching into your eyeline! Also, the ENORMOUS bonus of Click-to-Flash is that it has a setting which will auto-load the H.264 version of the video on Youtube - why would you want flash after that!

Vote with your mouse!

Html5 will take a while. Right now just about every network and cable show online uses flash, some silverlite, but that's fading. The real war between adobe and apple started when logic became apples. Previous to that everyone was in pro tools and a mac. Then when final cut hit the street, that did a lot of damage to adobes editing program (video), but by far and large the industry standard is After Affects and at one point during this war, adobe came out with a windows only update. My cousin, who worked for adobe for quite some time, said there was a huge rift between the two companies and one of apples paybacks was the lack of flash on the iPhone that way the user can't watch nearly 90% of streaming content.

Hope this is resolved soon and especially hope the tablet will stream any codec.
  • Reply 94 of 107
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I don't know all the programming differences, but if one browser deals with it to the point where it doesn't take down the browser then it is most certainly the best user experience way to deal with it and I would point a finger at the particular browser that doesn't handle it that way as being a problem too.

Are you running Safari in 64-bit mode? Do a get info on Safari.app and look if the "Open in 32-bit mode" box is checked. If it is, uncheck it.

Safari in 64-bit mode normally deals with Flash (and other plug-ins) crashing without taking down the whole browser with it.
  • Reply 95 of 107
    Quote:

Ah, thanks
  • Reply 96 of 107
    Quote:

Toast 10 from what I've read is junk, so I haven't bothered to upgrade. I'm still on 8, which works fine in SL. However, I did need a new DVD drive from AppleCare on my MBP, although that's another story altogether.

As for iChat, there are multiple places for preferences, especially audio and video between OS X and iChat. Have you checked the audio preferences in iChat itself to be sure your microphone is properly selected?

Since you don't say what you've tried to fix it, I'm only offering some advice. Perhaps it is SL that is the source of your issues, but I've been running it for quite a while and the only issues I've had with video chats or screen sharing have been preference errors easily rectified when you know what you're looking for.

Yeah checked my preferences in iChat, but no luck.

Toast 10 works fine with my Late '08 Macbook running 10.5.8.
  • Reply 97 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

My cousin, who worked for adobe for quite some time, said there was a huge rift between the two companies and one of apples paybacks was the lack of flash on the iPhone that way the user can't watch nearly 90% of streaming content.

That isn’t even close to being correct. Think about it logically. How much do Intel Core CPUs spike when playing something with a low bitrate 480p Hulu video? Too much for a phone with an ARM CPU pushing 412MHz, that’s for sure.

Now look at the iPhone timeline. It was announced over 3 years ago and yet in that time of Adobe blaming Apple for the lack of Flash they are still trying to get Flash out to the mobile OSes. The first Android phone to get Flash was the HTC Hero in July 2009. How long AFTER Android was introduced to the market was that? How long after the iPhone was introduced? Check out a video of how poorly it streams on that device that two years newer than the original iPhone and has a faster CPU and more RAM available to it.

Before you say "Flash has been on phones for years" you can’t count Flash Lite as none of popular streaming video players use that old and crusty version that Flash Lite is based off of, and that is separate from the HW in these devices being physically capable of giving Flash the resources necessary for streaming if they were to have had a proper version of Flash on them.

Adobe dropped the ball a long time when they thought nothing could topple their tower and they still haven’t caught up. We’re going to start seeing Flash on mobile OSes this year as commonplace, but they aren’t making it for Apple or RiM. You have to wonder, if Flash was ready out of the gate and why it wasn’t until 2010 that Flash 10.1 became commonplace on other mobile platforms. A long fraken time after the iPhone and you can’t possibly suggest that Apple kept Flash development off the other platforms.

Adobe is trying desperately to repair their wall before the tidal wave of HTML5 streaming hits but it’s too late. HTML5 video tags with H.264 are the future. Will there is still room for Flash on interactive sites but streaming video will not be one of them. No one is to blame but Adobe.

If I recall correctly the biggest advancements to Flash (ie: H.264, AAC, and HW acceleration) came about as reactions to MS SIlverlight. With MS with Silverlight on one front, and Google and Apple with HTML5 and HTTP Live Streaming on the other, along with Adobe’s internal hubris it’s hard to imagine anyone thinks Adobe has a fighting chance with video streaming.

Quote:

Hope this is resolved soon and especially hope the tablet will stream any codec.

Any codec? Absolutely not. Even the open source, free Transcoder app Handbrake no longer offers the AVI container and DivX codec due to how poor it is compared to new codecs. You won’t see Ogg Vorbis either. MP4 is where it’s at.

(Typed on iPhone, sorry for odd autocorrections)

edit: This review that even with Flash 10.0 on the HTC Hero Hulu video won’t play but somehow that is Apple’s fault all the way back n 2007. \
  • Reply 98 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtmadman View Post

Yeah checked my preferences in iChat, but no luck.

Toast 10 works fine with my Late '08 Macbook running 10.5.8.

Here are different places to check those:

Hope that helps
  • Reply 99 of 107
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

http://llvm.org/Users.html

Thanks for LLVM Users chart. I was not aware of it.
  • Reply 100 of 107
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That isn?t even close to being correct. Think about it logically.

I think his basic point was not to blame Apple but to point to the huge rift that exists between Apple and Adobe. Much of the visible aggression in this war has come from Adobe's side and Apple has simply responded in the only way that it can. If Adobe will not fix Flash for the Mac Apple had no choice but to drop it from the iPhone.

Every insiders report that I have had of Adobe --- quite a few now --- suggests that the company is deeply dysfunctional from the top down. They mistreat their own employees in a way that beggars belief.

Many many years ago it was suggested (on this forum, I think) that Apple should have bought Adobe and made sure that its product line stayed Mac friendly. They didn't, and ever since Photoshop has felt like the Sword of Damocles held over Apple's head.