Apple's iPad promo materials misleading on Adobe Flash support

Comments

• Reply 141 of 174
    Well,

It looks liek Apple did the right thing a fixed theri adds to show that the product does not support flash. They have been forced to do this in the past as well....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18821...ad_promos.html

Hopfully all of the press about this issue will give people a warning that the iPad will not allow them to view flash content BEFORE they buy one. Most techno geeks will know about the lack of flash before they buy one, but the target audiance ( casual computer user ) for this device probably will not know about the content limitation of the device.

I guess at least one good thing this should bring about is an ample supply of lower cost iPad devices on the refurb site, after they are returned by irate customers, for people who do not care about the lack of flash support.
  • Reply 142 of 174
    Wait until people start getting them as presents and realise they have to boot up their computer to play Farmville on Facebook. Or anything else that isn't from the App store.
  • Reply 143 of 174
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Well obviously the absence of flash has a major impact on the iPhone's use in mobile web browsing making it one of the least used mobile platforms out there...

...except it isn't it's the most used.

Advertising is a bums on seats game, you adapt or lose.

We don't need flash.

Savvy developers come to the platform, they don't force the platform to come to them.
  • Reply 144 of 174
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

We don't need flash.

Unless you want to view video only offered as Flash content....
  • Reply 145 of 174
    All web content should be handed over to Adobe, developers should be forced to buy Adobe products to develop for the Adobe Flash based web, that'll stop Apple and their "closed systems" and force them into the "open Adobe web" party.

Note:- the above post may contain traces of sarcasm and may be dangerous to those suffering from advanced stages of denial and hypocracy.
  • Reply 146 of 174
    I'd rather play Mafia Wars on Facebook (which isn't from the App store) on my iPhone, or Bejewelled Blitz and post scores vs Facebook friends, Doodle jump or many of the other games available in the App store that link into Twitter and Facebook.

Farmville on a MacBook using the multitouch trackpad is a boring monotonous game, you plant your crops etc. With the fancy flash mouse pointer which sluggishly moves around the screen, when a notification pops up requiring you to post some lame acheivement on your friends walls the real mouse pointer you need disappears.

From my iPhone I can still do a few things with Farmville including accepting gifts and neighbour requests etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

Wait until people start getting them as presents and realise they have to boot up their computer to play Farmville on Facebook. Or anything else that isn't from the App store.

• Reply 147 of 174
    Quote:

All web content should be handed over to Adobe, developers should be forced to buy Adobe products to develop for the Adobe Flash based web, that'll stop Apple and their "closed systems" and force them into the "open Adobe web" party.

Note:- the above post may contain traces of sarcasm and may be dangerous to those suffering from advanced stages of denial and hypocracy.

I doubt Appel is going to force anyone to do anything with their web content. In several years Flash might be obsolete, but I don't want to have a limited web experience until then.

You obviously don't like closed content, but you seem to be quite happy with Apple's closed content or having Apple making viewing decision for you...

I guess I just don't get it....
  • Reply 148 of 174
    I guess I don't get all the fuss "advocates" of openeness make over forcing people into Adobe's closed and proprietry Flash system.

HTML 5 open, open, open.

Adobe Flash closed, closed, closed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I doubt Appel is going to force anyone to do anything with their web content. In several years Flash might be obsolete, but I don't want to have a limited web experience until then.

You obviously don't like closed content, but you seem to be quite happy with Apple's closed content or having Apple making viewing decision for you...

I guess I just don't get it....

• Reply 149 of 174
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

I might be the only one but I do care about flash. My kids visit pbskids.com, playhousedisney.com and nickjr.com just to mention a few and all the games are flash. My company creates interactive online content that requires flash (and would be very hard, if not impossible, to create any other way.) Are flash ads annoying? Yes, but at least there are ways to turn it off. If those same ads were created in HTML 5, are there tools available to block them too? Is it is a resource hog and run less efficiently on a Mac than PC, yes but where is a widely adopted alternative that I could use right now that offers all the benefits of flash without any of the downsides?

By the way there is a very interesting article for those of you into the whole flash debate here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/01....html#comments

[CENTER]Trust Me... You're Hardly The Only One.

Apple's aversion to all thing Adobe Flash is a serious hinderance to 'proving the very best web browsing experience' and all these asinine claims of Flash's (immediate) obsolescence are just lame excuses - End of Story![/CENTER]
  • Reply 150 of 174
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Try going to NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX,DISNEY,DISNEY FORKIDS,TNT, TBS,SCIFI, MLB,ESPN and see if you can watch a full show or season, which you cannot do without flash.

No, Jobs and Co. Would rather have you pay $2.99 for a picture aspect that looks like the old TVs, and on the above network and cable sites, you get these shows for free

Free vs $2.99 per episode. I don't want to start a flame war but had this had flash it would have sold millions more. Even more if you could add perian for avi, mpeg, Xvid, which IMHO, is the best.

I have it on my macs and it never crashes. This would gave been perect for the bed room.

To bad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

The flash plug in for the Mac is a nightmare.

Fact.

It crashes, it's slow, it maxes out the processor, it causes machines to over heat.

Fact.

The flash plug in is a proprietary piece of software developed by a third party, not by Apple.

Fact.

So - and I'm going out on a limb here - maybe if Adobe FIXED the plug in, made it work better, it would be welcomed.

Conjecture.

But Adobe aren't even trying, at least not in public. I don't want my iPad to crash everytime i hit another spank the monkey advert. I've got click2flash installed on Safari, safari no longer crashes. Youtube works just fine, and the video quality is massively superior to the flash version.

So ADOBE - fix flash. What Flash can do is great, the potential is fantastic. That it's an unstable piece of crap on all but top end wintel machines is Adobe's issue, not Apple's.

Also - who is to say that this thing can't run flash, and SJ simply blocked it to make a little statement? I don't believe Apple's marketing people are stupid enough to open themselves us to a false claim quite this big. Let's wait eight weeks and see.

• Reply 151 of 174
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Try going to NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX,DISNEY,DISNEY FORKIDS,TNT, TBS,SCIFI, MLB,ESPN and see if you can watch a full show or season, which you cannot do without flash.

No, Jobs and Co. Would rather have you pay $2.99 for a picture aspect that looks like the old TVs, and on the above network and cable sites, you get these shows for free

Free vs $2.99 per episode. I don't want to start a flame war but had this had flash it would have sold millions more. Even more if you could add perian for avi, mpeg, Xvid, which IMHO, is the best.

I have it on my macs and it never crashes. This would gave been perect for the bed room.

To bad.

A number of those already have specific apps and sites for the iPhone. Why? There are tens of millions of iPhones and iPod Touches and they want their business.

As Apple continues to sell non-Flash enabled internet devices, the folks running big web sites will increasingly move to provide for them. Because those people aren't running Flash sites, they're running video sites. They don't actually care about Flash, they care about eyeballs. In case you haven't notices, Apple is delivering lots and lots and lots of eyeballs, and are poised to deliver a lot more.
  • Reply 152 of 174
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

I guess I don't get all the fuss "advocates" of openeness make over forcing people into Adobe's closed and proprietry Flash system.

HTML 5 open, open, open.

And to play back that video for HTML5 you need to use that proprietary H.264
  • Reply 153 of 174
    No you don't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And to play back that video for HTML5 you need to use that proprietary H.264

• Reply 154 of 174
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Flash is on its way out...

The Gruber article is correct I think.

http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/blue_boxes

Flash is like Explorer-only websites. It forced web developers to move to using standards.

Quote:

The same thing is happening now, based on my talks with developers: they are not including Flash in their future web plans any longer.

C.
  • Reply 155 of 174
    Quote:

HTML 5 open, open, open.

And the iPhone OS is closed, closed, closed.... Apps are ONLY available after approval by Apple and only through their store. Why is one propitiatory content delivery system ok with and another one is not?

It will be several years before HTML5 is standardized and accepted enough to get all of the major web sites to switch. You seem to think Apple can FORCE these guys to spend a lot of money to switch.

Also, I never seem to have any trouble with Flash playing on my MacBook Pro or my Mac Mini that I have attached to my 52" TV. I watch Flash web content on them all of the time with little or no problems....

I prefer choices not closed mindedness....
  • Reply 156 of 174
    So choose a platform that supports your beloved Adobe.

Help them get back to 100% adoption.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

And the iPhone OS is closed, closed, closed.... Apps are ONLY available after approval by Apple and only through their store. Why is one propitiatory content delivery system ok with and another one is not?

It will be several years before HTML5 is standardized and accepted enough to get all of the major web sites to switch. You seem to think Apple can FORCE these guys to spend a lot of money to switch.

Also, I never seem to have any trouble with Flash playing on my MacBook Pro or my Mac Mini that I have attached to my 52" TV. I watch Flash web content on them all of the time with little or no problems....

I prefer choices not closed mindedness....

• Reply 157 of 174
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

A number of those already have specific apps and sites for the iPhone. Why? There are tens of millions of iPhones and iPod Touches and they want their business.

As Apple continues to sell non-Flash enabled internet devices, the folks running big web sites will increasingly move to provide for them. Because those people aren't running Flash sites, they're running video sites. They don't actually care about Flash, they care about eyeballs. In case you haven't notices, Apple is delivering lots and lots and lots of eyeballs, and are poised to deliver a lot more.

[CENTER]

So... Content providers are compelled to cater to the whims of Apple rather than Apple simply providing hardware/software capable enough to support long standing industry standards that work just fine on virtually every other computing platform.

Got It!

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 158 of 174
    Seems everyone would be happy, and any bugs that are truly caused by running Flash on these devices will be pretty easy to pinpoint where they are coming from. There is a ton of great flash content on the web, as well as great flash web 2.0 data-centric apps. My business runs one - it's really awesome. It causes no problems on any computer I've used it on.
  • Reply 159 of 174
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

No you don't.

And how much video do you watch using an audio codec? And how many browsers playback theora files without installing something? Or having videos encoded in that format?
  • Reply 160 of 174
    I thought you said HTML 5 needs H.264?

It doesn't.

How do you play back Flash content without installing Flash player?

avi and other files in Quicktime?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And how much video do you watch using an audio codec? And how many browsers playback theora files without installing something? Or having videos encoded in that format?