Apple to target iPad at business users through new features - sources

Comments

• Reply 161 of 282
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Tablets have always seen their greatest success in the enterprise?for a variety of niche applications. But I bet those stylus devices cost a lot more than $499! Custom in-house apps for iPad will be awesome for so many things.
  • Reply 162 of 282
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    It's funny. These new features (i.e. printing to a network, network file retreival) that's exactly what i've been complaining that the iPad doesn't have that i wish it did. Hopefully these features will make it to the consumer version and not just the Enterprise. I'm curious how that's going to work if it's all through iTunes?

However. I think the lack of thinking that this iPad could replace the physical paper notepad with a handy addition of an Apple stylus and handwriting recognition built into iNotes would be very cool! I'm an architect and using the iPad as a sketching tool for field work and meeting would be excellent! Plus if the stylus could work in Acrobat files to make notes and draw things it would be such a huge addition to the architect's palette!

Hope someone writes an App for it, give SJ's hatred of the stylus, we'll probably never see Apple make one.
  • Reply 163 of 282
    Someone was dismissing the iPad on a Facebook post as just a bunch of hype over a device that was not really a "gap filler", but one for a "niche market" only. I mostly disagree.

There WAS a lot of hype. However, the company's recent history of producing products which fill gaps quite well is pretty good right now. When they produce a product, it appears that whatever it is called... "gap filler" or "niche device", it tends to be accepted pretty well. So, I'm sure a lot of it was genuine interest in a potentially very useful and cost effective device.

I can see all sorts of applications where it would be preferred over both a laptop and an iPhone (or other PDA), especially with a compass and two different kinds of wireless options (WiFi and 3G network). There are quite a few companies that deal with mobile and/or remote data collection which could benefit. Larger retail locations, warehousing operations, and manufacturing locations could benefit from mobile data interaction with their servers. And all of those are very general uses in the business/commercial sectors. I'm sure there are numerous more specific business uses, as well as untold numbers of personal uses.

Anyway, I guess time, and actual sales will be the only way of really telling whether it will be a "hit" or not.
  • Reply 164 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

It's funny. These new features (i.e. printing to a network, network file retreival) that's exactly what i've been complaining that the iPad doesn't have that i wish it did. Hopefully these features will make it to the consumer version and not just the Enterprise. I'm curious how that's going to work if it's all through iTunes?

However. I think the lack of thinking that this iPad could replace the physical paper notepad with a handy addition of an Apple stylus and handwriting recognition built into iNotes would be very cool! I'm an architect and using the iPad as a sketching tool for field work and meeting would be excellent! Plus if the stylus could work in Acrobat files to make notes and draw things it would be such a huge addition to the architect's palette!

Hope someone writes an App for it, give SJ's hatred of the stylus, we'll probably never see Apple make one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

This is interesting. Just the inventory management use case of a WiFi connected iPad in a building or a 3G connected iPad outdoors may sell a million units, though a full-shift (10-hour) battery life would be critical for these kind of applications. Expect Apple stores to be one of the first adopters of this use case. One can stretch the industrial/commercial uses cases from the UPS/FedEx delivery person to a "dynamic menu" in high end restaurants.

This is what interests me the most. The possibilities for the iPad being used for any thing that required a quick note is huge. As stated, the restaurant industry could pass these out to all their waiters to take orders on. They could hit the print button through wifi for the chefs to view in an easy to view format instead of looking at bad handwriting. Or they could send the order to a large display screen such as a flat screen TV to have the cook glance at. Maybe that last part with the large display is to Star Trek like but you get my point.

So just look around. If you see someone at their job having to be on the go but they need to write down what they are doing and it's too cumbersome to try and hold a laptop to do it, then you will see a new business opportunity for the iPad. I can't see this being anything but a huge shift in the way businesses input data to larger systems.
  • Reply 165 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

This is what interests me the most. The possibilities for the iPad being used for any thing that required a quick note is huge. As stated, the restaurant industry could pass these out to all their waiters to take orders on. They could hit the print button through wifi for the chefs to view in an easy to view format instead of looking at bad handwriting. Or they could send the order to a large display screen such as a flat screen TV to have the cook glance at. Maybe that last part with the large display is to Star Trek like but you get my point.

So just look around. If you see someone at their job having to be on the go but they need to write down what they are doing and it's too cumbersome to try and hold a laptop to do it, then you will see a new business opportunity for the iPad. I can't see this being anything but a huge shift in the way businesses input data to larger systems.

I agree totally! I just posted something similar...
  • Reply 166 of 282
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

In the corporate world, especially government, everything is a security risk. We're have all iTunes installs on our Windows boxes auto-removed and told to use WiMP instead, due to security vulnerabilities.

that seems like an oxymoron. the biggest security risk would be windows there, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 167 of 282
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

The 'Pad is a toy. It is not suited for heavy-duty use. I think that emphasizing business use is a huge mistake. I was very surprised when iWork was emphasized, given that the device has dodgy input and output, and no ability to multitask.

Wow! For a self-professed Genius, I am astounded with such certainty in your proclaimations:

Quote:

*"...a toy"

*"...a huge mistake"

*"...dodgy input and output"

*"...iWork was emphasized:

* etc.,

especially when trying to evaluate the "demo" version of a product. Were you by any chance been invited to the presentation and as sarcastically pointed out by others, was privileged to have a hands on experience with the demo devices?

and when challenged, with your vision, all you can come up with were:

Quote:

I would like it to act as a USB host. I would like the ability to put files onto it directly from an external drive. I would like it to act as a portable external drive.

And WRT to multitasking, you are correct. The hardware is capable. The problem is not the hardware, or the iOS itself, but instead, Apple's policy of not allowing customers to get the most out of their devices.

Quote:

I would like it to act as a USB host.

Very ingenius indeed! The demo iPad presented is just the version, but a part of the mobile computing devices being developed by Apple, in competition with the other companies.

In a vision of a remote/wireless world, you really do not need "USB" (old technology) -- alternative remote connectivity is the solution enabled by existing and emerging technologies dependent on electromagnetic waves -- internet, wireless telephone, Wifi (and all its iterations), BlueTooth, infrared controls, and other electromagnetic waves reserved for these communication, etc.
  • Reply 168 of 282
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GeekElectro View Post

I agree totally! I just posted something similar...

Glad to see i'm not the only one who thought the Keynote was missing the whole element of the Enterprise application and implication of this device. What about the educational division. Kids don't have to buy notbooks anymore with this device handy. That is if you could use a stylus and iNote or even pages with handwriting recognition.

I'm mainly a PC user, due to my line of work and the software necessary that's not made for Macs, but being able to write with a stylus and draw on the iPad is a serious oversight on the part of SJ/Apple. It would revolutionize the Education segment and most businesses that use paper and pen.

let's hope for iPad 2.0 i guess! Or let's start an open letter to Apple!
  • Reply 169 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjboucher View Post

The icing on the cake would be the ability to print things to a networked printer occasionally.

To the cool dude quoted above....

yeah well, there's an app for that. In fact several and most have demo's to make sure you can print a test with your printer.

To the idiots quoted below...

Air Sharing is my favorite Ap and it makes using you iphone like a drive very easy. YOu can view whatever docs you want (word. pdf etc) For anyone who wants shared folders or to pull data off a network to their iphones or vice versa. Get it. THe iphone and Ipad will pop right up on the desktop of you computer like a network share.

I'm sure we'll see mods to current aps to ad hoc a USB drive to the pad. piece of cake. There's nothing you are asking for this thing can't do. Further, the "need" for a camera is a blind assumption. Honestly I never use Ichat. Would love to but it's awkward and no one really uses it anyway. Just use voice chat like a normal person and stop pretending we live in Star Trek.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palple View Post

This needs an usb port without a card adapter. This needs to access users's files, movies, pictures from usb storage devices and must also write on them. That's one of the main use that people do of their netbooks. And also, it needed an isight from day 1 since people mainly buy netbooks for messaging purposes too.

Quote:

I would like it to act as a USB host. I would like the ability to put files onto it directly from an external drive. I would like it to act as a portable external drive.

And WRT to multitasking, you are correct. The hardware is capable. The problem is not the hardware, or the iOS itself, but instead, Apple's policy of not allowing customers to get the most out of their devices.

• Reply 170 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

See above. Search the app store a little there are aps for all that you have asked for...
  • Reply 171 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

In the corporate world, especially government, everything is a security risk. We're have all iTunes installs on our Windows boxes auto-removed and told to use WiMP instead, due to security vulnerabilities.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

that seems like an oxymoron. the biggest security risk would be windows there, wouldn't it?

So... they were told to use WiMP because they wanted security vulnerabilities? <grin>

Windoze IS getting better... sort of... It is starting to look and behave a little more like Mac OS X... 10.2 or 10.3??? LOL! The problem with most anti-virus software on Windoze is that it completely fails to remove all of the viruses. Just check for yourself! Run the AV software and then examine the computer. You'll see for yourself. Windoze is still there! See? it missed removing the virus!

Anyway, I can see so many uses for a device like the iPad. It doesn't take much creativity to come up with hundreds or more good business uses for a lower-than-laptop costing device like that.
  • Reply 172 of 282
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    [QUOTE=iGenius;1561071]I would like the ability to put files onto it directly from an external drive."

Again, it is possible to have any of the aforementioned "wireless technologies" to achieve this. I am sure others who are more familiar with existing technolgies may be able to help you learn more about them, if you wish to become more familiar with them.

Quote:

I would like it to act as a portable external drive.

What a vision! What sort of files or applications do you want to carry around with you, for a short time, that will require more than 64Gb. [The latter is the initial offering of the high end of this portable device? In a year or two, we could not pre predict where flash memory might have attained. In comparison, my current 6yo G4 iBook computer only has 20Gb max disk storage and I have literally hundreds of thousands of files.]

"Bulk Storage" goes against the grain of server-portable devices in Enterprise ecosystems. Or for that matter, the direction towards cloud computing with respect to the multitude devices that can connect to the main servers.

In fact, it is even possible that in a few years mobile storage may not even be needed because of the ubiquity in internet or remote connectivity in conjunction with cloud computing. Storage redundancy may be needed only as security precautions, from hacking (a very great threat) or a security from natural (earthquake, flooding, etc.) or manmade calamities (twin towers during 9/11).

Mobile devices are meant to be used to store only those files that are intended to be dealt with transiently -- the unfinished project proposal that you want to bring outside the office, your contacts, etc. In fact, with proper security, you do not even have to store them, just connect remotely to the main servers.

Quote:

... Apple's policy of not allowing customers to get the most out of their devices...

I am sure you heard of all those "140,000" Apple Apps even before the actual iPad is even available for mass consumption that you may tap initially. And more to come, with the introduction of "larger devices" like the iPad. And, if there is not enough there, if you are tech savvy, you may create your own -- submit your creation to be shared with others, and if not approved by the close system of Apple Apps, share your creation with the increasing number of Apple Apps for those who are willing to risk jailbroken Apple devices.

And of course, the iPad is more than just about Apple Apps.

Whether the iPad can become an Enterprise mobile device have yet to be established but cannot be proclaimed to be capable or incapable of being one at this stage. If I am not mistaken, the competing VHS/VCR technologies, has demonstrated that the more "advanced" of competing technologies may not always become the universal standard.

On the other hand, the current standards may need to be toppled or replaced at some point because newer converging technologies may no longer be compatible with established historical standards.

Thus, a prudent person would not want to be immoralized by absolute proclamations like that by Ballmer about the iPhone, or a more arrogant proclamation about the fate a company, like the one made by Micheal Dell. It may haunt you to your grave, or make a mockery of your "name" -- "I Genius". Indeed.
  • Reply 173 of 282
    I really hope some of the added features include webcam, multitouch and flash. If they do, then I'll create my own bleeding company to get one
  • Reply 174 of 282
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    As more of the functionality of the iPad is revealed over the next few months, I'm looking forward to the posts that claim Apple "caved" in the face of withering criticism from internet whiners and "rushed" to put that functionality in.

Because it's really fun to have a lot of deeply uniformed opinions about what a device you've never seen can and cannot do, then imagine that the world dances to your tune.

Wait, did I say "fun"? I meant "For the love of God, STFU."
  • Reply 175 of 282
    Quote:

Yeah. To imagine that it is as capable as a netbook will lead to disappointment.

If one conceives of it as a big iPhone without the phone it is perfect in every way.

As capable as what? A netbook with a decent a battery life on an arm chip and no software or a netbook with crappy battery life and an OS designed neither for touch or mobil computing in general. Have fun with that.

Quote:

IMO, it is fairly ugly. The bezel is MUCH wider than it should be.

And there's no new software, just a new screen size for the same old crippled OS.

But I hope that I am truly myopic, and that developers get all excited about a 4:3 medium-sized screen. I hope you are right. But small screened real computers have existed for years, so I don't see the innovative nature of the device.

As I'm sure other's have said... I would never want you designing products I use. The bezel must be there for "ergonomics". YOu are clueless; how else would you propose to hold the thing?

Regarding no new software; you are mistaken We did see tablet specific software being used including productivity, games and if I'm not mistaken drawing. There will be a separate store.

Further calling an OS as amazingly agile, successful and capable as Iphone OS as crippled is probably the dumbest thing anyone on this forum has said.

Further, you are being myopic. The screen isn't small, it just "quadrupled" in size. This will make tablet specific APS easier to use and more"ergonomic" than using the same ap on a 4" screen with bigger buttons and more room for drawing, typing or laying things out. It will also give devs the ability to create new GUI's for things like instrument synthesizers, music mixers and or application controllers with nice large life-size buttons and keys. Can't do that on the iphone very well. Some things will just work better on a 10" tablet without doing anything else but making the device bigger.
  • Reply 176 of 282
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I'm sure we'll see mods to current aps to ad hoc a USB drive to the pad. piece of cake. There's nothing you are asking for this thing can't do.

That is apparently already in the SDK. People found it the same day that the iPad was introduced. iGenius just doesn't have a clue. Although I haven't seen confirmation that you can throw anything into that directory yet, hopefully more information comes soon.

Quote:

File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory.

I also implore people to make use of their ignore lists... Mine has expanded a lot in the last couple days and my forum experience is much improved, but I still have to wade through all the posts with people quoting iGenius and others.
  • Reply 177 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

I really hope some of the added features include webcam, multitouch and flash. If they do, then I'll create my own bleeding company to get one

Why is multi touch in your list? Is there something I don't get. The pad is inherently multi touch...
  • Reply 178 of 282
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

IMO, it is fairly ugly. The bezel is MUCH wider than it should be.

And there's no new software, just a new screen size for the same old crippled OS.

Goodbye troll.

The ignore list on this forum is a Godsend.
  • Reply 179 of 282
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

As more of the functionality of the iPad is revealed over the next few months, I'm looking forward to the posts that claim Apple "caved" in the face of withering criticism from internet whiners and "rushed" to put that functionality in.

Don't forget the last time Apple did an iPhone update and a certain poster here claimed Apple added it because they complained about it... on AppleInsider forums nonetheless.

PS: Nice call on the iPad's keyboard and dock.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Why is multi touch in your list? Is there something I don't get. The pad is inherently multi touch...

That guy makes a unique post per thread, but it only make partial sense. He also posts the same image link to an emoticon. He's not advertising nor does he engage in conversation. He doesn't even seem to have an agenda of disinformation like MactTripper, Teckstud and Extrememskater. It's quite unusual.
  • Reply 180 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yup, a VGA adapter will be available, this will no doubt plug into the dock connector and have a VGA on the other end, other projectors use RGB, S-Video etc. etc., they can't all be included on every device, so just buy the right connector for the job - no issue there. The abillity to use a thumb drive - just do it - again a USB adapter/SD Card adapter is already available.

Why not just connect to this thing wirelessly and drop the file onto it, or vice versa? I wouldn't have a device in my office that didn't have wireless connectivity...

As far as business not working to limitations - it's been working to the limitations of windows for years.

In the business environment, I see the only Window's limitation is stability and that is fairly infrequent. I have been running the same install of XP for 4 years on the machine I type this (even changed out the hardware and just put this drive into the new hardware). That doesn't mean Macs are any less. They both have their strengths and right now, I believe windows strength on a computer starts, and for the most part, stops at the corporate door.

VGA adapters and USB adapters will help the iPad transition. For that matter, Word and Powerpoint support will help. I could also connect wirelessly in the office to get files that will help. But, I'll still keep my brick (laptop), and not because I wouldn't love to replace it with a ipad. Let me explain. Sometimes I go through the drive thru at Mcdonald's, not because I think they have better burgers than the place across from the office, but because it is easy. It is the same with a laptop, the brick is easy. It works with anything usb making file transfers very easy, runs all the programs we use without introducing conversion issues (typically formatting when going from MSOffice to anything else), connects to the printer in my hotel room, works at any Kinkos on the planet, runs GotoMeeting, Bombgar and WebEx. Really a long way of saying it is easy for now.

I think Apple will find a way to change that, but I don't think iPad v1 is going to do it. It is enough to consider buying one for home though!