Apple to target iPad at business users through new features - sources

Comments

• Reply 141 of 282
    I want WIMAX in my city.

Then I want the WI-FI IPAD mounted inside my car.

Then I want voice response commands on the IPAD.

That is all.
  • Reply 142 of 282
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

What sort of delusional fool are you? Anyone who calls ONESELF a "genius" is obviously manic on the subject.

Seemingly, what is obvious to you and what is true are two different things.
  • Reply 143 of 282
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Your expectations not being met, do not make this product a 'failure' in anything other than your opinion.

I don't recall ever calling it a failure. Instead, I think I've consistently called it a disappointment.
  • Reply 144 of 282
    I, too, had hoped for iChat capabilities on the iPad. However, if you've attempted wireless videoconferencing via a 3G network, you understand that the bandwidth creates a much less than desired experience compared with a wired ethernet connection. The capacity and bandwidth capability of wireless networks need much improvement before it really will make sense to include videoconferencing on iPad. Eventually, I believe it will be offered if iPad is commercially successful, but having it now would simply add to costs and complaints.
  • Reply 145 of 282
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Nobody prints anymore. You are the only person who would want that. It is a better product because it will not print.

FOR ME.

Yes. The crazy Apple fanatics are claiming that it won't be possible to print from the iPad and that that's a good thing. On account of how crazy they are.
  • Reply 146 of 282
    FYI-- over on the discussion on Ars there's a developer with the SDK in hand (who has to be a bit vague owing to the NDA), but who keeps quietly assuring everyone that getting files on and off the iPad has been "well thought out" and that concerns around that are unfounded.

There have also been a couple of reports of a shared folder scheme.

More generally, it seems pretty clear that the intro presentation touched on the high points without getting into some of the nitty gritty, and that over the next 60 days we are likely to be getting additional info that will allay some of the concerns that some people have.

It reminds a little of the introduction of the first iMac, which, because it dropped legacy printer ports in favor of USB, had people claiming that it "couldn't print." I literally heard that from some random guy at Comp USA who had wandered over from looking at PCs.
  • Reply 147 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yes. The crazy Apple fanatics are claiming that it won't be possible to print from the iPad and that that's a good thing. On account of how crazy they are.

I disagree, you need print capability, presentation handouts, specifications, etc. until the whole world has gone digital. Then you'll just need a way to easily and instantly share the digital items on your device with those around you without giving them full access... Until then, business rolls on with printers!
  • Reply 148 of 282
    (face plant)
  • Reply 149 of 282
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

I disagree, you need print capability, presentation handouts, specifications, etc. until the whole world has gone digital. Then you'll just need a way to easily and instantly share the digital items on your device with those around you without giving them full access... Until then, business rolls on with printers!

Re-read his post again. Note the sarcasm.

PS: Why are the Ethiopians the only ones smart enough to include a character to denote sarcasm? That is not sarcastic, but it is mostly rhetorical.
  • Reply 150 of 282
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Yep, and this is why the ipad will print. Who has said that it won't? It's amazing how these little assumptions suddenly become 'flaws' in the device when it is not known if any such 'flaw' is present.
  • Reply 151 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

On a job interview most of the time you get asked how well you can multi-task. So if the company wants its employees to multi-task we can assume they also want them to have a device and can do the same.

If you need multitasking, buy the $998 model that offers multitasking through its advanced duct tape technology. It also gives you twice the screen real estate.
  • Reply 152 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yep, and this is why the ipad will print. Who has said that it won't? It's amazing how these little assumptions suddenly become 'flaws' in the device when it is not known if any such 'flaw' is present.

Let me rephrase, I disagree with the fanatics claiming that it won't print and how that could be a good thing.

It has wifi and ability to edit document and given Apples previous attention to detail, it would seem ironic if it couldn't print.
  • Reply 153 of 282
    Quote:

I would agree with the comments that it won't take (at least quickly) in the business realm. In business you need interoperability. VGA outputs on the device you are presenting from, the ability to quickly insert a thumb drive with the presentation on it because somebody made edits the night before. The ability to put documents on a thumb drive so you can quickly run into Kinkos to get those hand outs you edited until 3am printed in color.

Business isn't going to work around a devices limitations, the device needs to conform to business needs. You have no idea how much I would love to replace a bulky laptop when traveling, but reality is that with this device, it isn't going to happen until they create more add-ons, use our office programs, etc. It may work for some. I think it would be great to take one in addition to a laptop, browsing news in bed without the bulk of the laptop, but then again, it is in addition to at this point...

Yup, a VGA adapter will be available, this will no doubt plug into the dock connector and have a VGA on the other end, other projectors use RGB, S-Video etc. etc., they can't all be included on every device, so just buy the right connector for the job - no issue there. The abillity to use a thumb drive - just do it - again a USB adapter/SD Card adapter is already available.

Why not just connect to this thing wirelessly and drop the file onto it, or vice versa? I wouldn't have a device in my office that didn't have wireless connectivity...

As far as business not working to limitations - it's been working to the limitations of windows for years.
  • Reply 154 of 282
    This entire thread is down the tubes...please folks...put iGenius boy on your ignore list...please...it's just killing the discussion...
  • Reply 155 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyclix View Post

I, too, had hoped for iChat capabilities on the iPad. However, if you've attempted wireless videoconferencing via a 3G network, you understand that the bandwidth creates a much less than desired experience compared with a wired ethernet connection. The capacity and bandwidth capability of wireless networks need much improvement before it really will make sense to include videoconferencing on iPad. Eventually, I believe it will be offered if iPad is commercially successful, but having it now would simply add to costs and complaints.

I can also see Apple creating an inexpensive desktop variant of the iPad. It would look like an iPad on an iMac stand. It would be able to swivel from portrait to landscape and have an iSight built in and come standard with a bluetooth keyboard.
  • Reply 156 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I can also see Apple creating an inexpensive desktop variant of the iPad. It would look like an iPad on an iMac stand. It would be able to swivel from portrait to landscape and have an iSight built in and come standard with a bluetooth keyboard.

That's crazy talk - the 'pad exists in its own category and is already inexpensive. Apple will never sell a computing device at less than $499. In a way, the 'desktop' version already exists in that rather ugly "keyboard dock" - I hope that thing is all aluminium, not white plastic in places as it appears to be on apple's images. Apple already make desktop computers, and laptop computers - this will never be turned into either, that mindset would decimate Mac sales.

I see (in a few years) some form of touch interaction on the laptop and desktop range, but not in the iPhone sense - it simply wouldn't work - a nice multi touch track pad on the keyboard would be nice, but i don't want to work on a 30" monitor with my hands, I'd be exhausted inside an hour.
  • Reply 157 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gts_mac View Post

This entire thread is down the tubes...please folks...put iGenius boy on your ignore list...please...it's just killing the discussion...

Done... Not sure why people feed the trolls.
  • Reply 158 of 282
    Apple should come up with their own tethering App for the iPad that lets a user pair an iPad with an iPhone over the Bluetooth (or over WiFi ad-hoc mode) such that the iPad can use iPhone's 3G data connection.
  • Reply 159 of 282
    I plan on buying a half dozen iPads to use at my company. I'm in the Aerospace industry and I have a large warehouse full of inventory that employees have to navigate. I can install an App like FMtouch and get our whole database on the iPad and items can be located, pulled, shipped and tracked all straight from the warehouse while my employees are mobile. Not to mention printing orders via bluetooth to a central printer, and emailing customers with shipping details via WiFi. As for "multitasking" on the iPad, other tasks that require a computer can be performed better on their desktop computers running the full Mac OS.
  • Reply 160 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speedster View Post

I plan on buying a half dozen iPads to use at my company. I'm in the Aerospace industry and I have a large warehouse full of inventory that employees have to navigate. I can install an App like FMtouch and get our whole database on the iPad and items can be located, pulled, shipped and tracked all straight from the warehouse while my employees are mobile. Not to mention printing orders via bluetooth to a central printer, and emailing customers with shipping details via WiFi. As for "multitasking" on the iPad, other tasks that require a computer can be performed better on their desktop computers running the full Mac OS.

This is interesting. Just the inventory management use case of a WiFi connected iPad in a building or a 3G connected iPad outdoors may sell a million units, though a full-shift (10-hour) battery life would be critical for these kind of applications. Expect Apple stores to be one of the first adopters of this use case. One can stretch the industrial/commercial uses cases from the UPS/FedEx delivery person to a "dynamic menu" in high end restaurants.