Apple to target iPad at business users through new features - sources

Comments

• Reply 101 of 282
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Yeah. To imagine that it is as capable as a netbook will lead to disappointment.

If one conceives of it as a big iPhone without the phone it is perfect in every way.

Yes, and if you compare it to a mac pro you'll also be disappointed. Typical ridiculous, facetious comment from you iGenius.

I do think of it as a big IPhone without the phone, that has a bigger screen at higher resolution and the ability to use iwork, oh and with 140 hours of music listening, and without the need for an annual cellular contract. and... I could also think of it as a laptop without a keyboard and a slightly smaller screen. What would be the point in either comparison? You don't compare a banana with a steak dinner. Yes, they are both food, but there the similarity ends. Pointless comparison is just that - pointless.

What a shame you lack the imagination to see what others might need, as opposed to what you need. I guess that's why you make a few tens of billions each year and innovate in the market place, with millions of people aspiring to own your products and Apple are broken and a failed company, hanging on your every word.
  • Reply 102 of 282
    Quote:

Yes. For that niche, it seems adequete. It certainly is no laptop replacement.

Yes iGenius, it's not a laptop replacement. No one is suggesting that it is. This is for a different market place, made up of 'niches' and people who don't want fully functioning computers, with 90% of their potential going to waste.
  • Reply 103 of 282
    Business users are more likely to need a device with a larger screen than the iPad and a proper keyboard. If they are already carrying a laptop and a smartphone then they do not need an iPad as well.

Most business use MS Office and I cannot see MS creating a version of Office for the iPad. iWork for the iPad looked nice but if everyone else is using Office it makes collaboration harder.

I therefore cannot see the iPad making serious inroads into businesses.
  • Reply 104 of 282
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I currently work in tech support at a large concern and everything connects by USB and (ancient) VGA. I know there are adapters for both, but adapters are not the best solution by any means. We (literally!) have plastic buckets full of Apple adapters (usually about ten to twelve different types), that we have to keep around to support all the other hardware that just connects using standard connectors. It's a huge hassle.

You're right, it's not the "best" solution, the best solution is not needing any adapter at all. You can add every possible port scenario to your device or go with the most likely used for your market. Hell, there are devices that connect via serial ports, but I don't think makes for a valid reason to support it.

Quote:

The only justification for it is that Apple's devices are usually so small that custom ports with adapters are necessary. Even the MacBook Air has legitimate reasons for not having enough ports and needing an adapter or two.

I know several people with MBAs and I don't think any one of them has an adapter for it outside the norm. It's designed to be wireless. No one even has the USB-to-Ethernet dongle.

That said, i would like to see the Mac OS X Restore Disc come on a USB flash drive, or include an SD slot/card. It seems remiss to offer a premium discless device and not offer a method for restore the OS that doesn't require another Mac.

Quote:

However, the tablet has about 15 or 20 inches of "edge real estate" that would make it possible to have USB and display ports, but it doesn't. They left it out for no reason other than aesthetics and usage design. It's not the end of the world, but yeah, if this is supposed to be a "business" machine" it should have those ports since there is no physical reason why it can't.

(9.56" x 2) + (7.47" x 2) = 34.06"

The iPod Touch has plenty of room for multiple USB and video-out ports, but I don't think it's a good design decision. Pesonally, I was hoping they'd retire the 8yo iPod Dock Connector with this new device category. Perhaps with only a locking mDP port. It can do 750Mbps USB data.

Aren't the most common projectors still using analog video input?
  • Reply 105 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

"niche" seems to be the last bastion of the padophobes.

the iPad MIGHT fail and MIGHT be a crappy product, but "stock answer #whatever" seems to be "niche niche niche niche" as though this product does something so esoteric.

This product will not "fill a niche." It will succeed (like iPod/iPhone) or fail (like Apple TV seems to be doing)

Surely you mean people who are "pro" pad, not scared of it? (ED. A padophile, not a padophobe...)

This product will fill several niches, not just one. And there is no black white fail/succeed - my brother lives for his apple tv, it's just not for me. It hasn't sold as many units as the iPhone, but is it a 'failure', or is it the foundation for something more? When tv and production companies wise up and relax licensing on content, the apple tv will be perfectly positioned to be something incredible.
  • Reply 106 of 282
    Quote:

Too bad they couldn't find an innovative way to allow a comfortable grip and good looks at the same time.

They did.
  • Reply 107 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Business users are more likely to need a device with a larger screen than the iPad and a proper keyboard. If they are already carrying a laptop and a smartphone then they do not need an iPad as well.

Most business use MS Office and I cannot see MS creating a version of Office for the iPad. iWork for the iPad looked nice but if everyone else is using Office it makes collaboration harder.

I therefore cannot see the iPad making serious inroads into businesses.

I can.

Which business users are likely to need a device with a larger screen? All business users?

Yes, if they're carrying a laptop and a smartphone, they don't need this. What if you don't need that laptop, but do need to check your email and view attachments on the road, on walk abouts in the office or when working from home.

I know a lot of employees and colleagues who are already eyeing the 'pad up as a replacement for unnecessary laptops that are currently used for nothing more than email and internet (we do a lot of high end video work, and the macbook simply isn't up to this, so all real work is on the mac pros and wintel boxes).

Additionally, I'm from one of those many companies who have blocked the flash plug in on all devices connected to the company network, so the lack of flash isn't an issue to us, and none of our local council or government contracts allow the use of flash in the work we create for them because of UK accessibility laws. This thing is perfect for presentations on the road, and the battery life sensational.

We don't use office, and if we need to send out word docs to people (very, very rarely) open office, neo office and pages do the job just fine.

"Business users are more likely to need a device with a larger screen than the iPad and a proper keyboard." Yes, that's called a laptop and it already exists.

I think the point is that one device doesn't fit every need. We have desktops, laptops, netbooks and smartphones. Now we have the iPad as an additional platform for low end jobs. It's not aiming to replace anything - it's aiming to fill the gaps between the current devices. It's a new market, and it's very exciting.
  • Reply 108 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

No, he's not - there is an adapter for SD cards and a USB port - this is not a card, it's a bit of plastic that slots into the dock connector socket (whatever it's called) for the occasional use that people would need this for...

Your link:

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/specs/

The adapter wasn't what I was attacking. Read up, he is claiming its built in without the need of an adapter. So I said, "show me the link."
  • Reply 109 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

No, he's not - there is an adapter for SD cards and a USB port - this is not a card, it's a bit of plastic that slots into the dock connector socket (whatever it's called) for the occasional use that people would need this for...

Your link:

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/specs/

and i quote

"It has a USB port without a card adapter.

Suggest you visit Apple's iPad site.

How anybody would think that you couldn't access or write to external files boggles the mind."
  • Reply 110 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjboucher View Post

Exchange support is suspiciously missing in any of the talk about Mail. They do not call out Activesync like they do on the iPhone.

Yes, because the presentation focussed on fun, talk of exchange would have resulted in howls of "this is not a business tool, it's a toy" from the analysts and reporters and looks of confusion from the casual domestic user of this device.

The suggestion here is that the iPhone and 'Pad will be running the same OS - why would Apple disable something that is purely a software feature on one of the platforms running this OS? I think anything the iPhone OS can currently do is a given certainty for the 'pad, along with some new features yet to be announced or ready for 'prime time'.
  • Reply 111 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

The adapter wasn't what I was attacking. Read up, he is claiming its built in without the need of an adapter. So I said, "show me the link."

No he didn't, he just said it wasn't a card adapter, I think you two are arguing over semantics.
  • Reply 112 of 282
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The 'Pad is not a toy. It is suited for heavy-duty use. I think that emphasizing business use is a smart move. I wasn't surprised when iWork was emphasized, given that the device has very adequate input and output, and the inability to multitask doesn't seem to have hampered the other iphone OS devices.

Well, I guess we disagree.
  • Reply 113 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

iGenius, do me a favour - firmly tape both of your thumbs flat to your hands then pick up your laptop. Now try and type on the keyboard.

Huh? WTF?
  • Reply 114 of 282
    Quote:

I'm sorry. I don't understand what it means to "apply logic laterally" Can you explain?

And I never thought that "we all need to try the iPad hands-on before we dismiss it". I see that as similar to saying that one must try a Hummer before concluding that a compact car might be more suitable.

No, I never ever thought that or suggested that. Why do you ask?

1) It means that you can apply the same reasoning you used to justify one set of actions to this set of actions.

I assume then that you are essentially suggesting that people don't bother trying it - that they make an assessment and final judgement from a position of total ignorance?

2) No, I know you didn't - nor are you ever seemingly going to because this is exactly how Microsoft maintains it's 95% market share position isn't it - through impelling Reverse inertia and apathy towards innovation or change.

Anyway, I think this device has enough of it's own exciting momentum and you can bet iPhone OS 4.0 ( when demo'd in June) gets lots of people trying it so they will be able to decided if it's hummer or compact car enough for their particular needs - all knowing they can send it back if it's not right - good that isn't it!
  • Reply 115 of 282
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Microsoft Office inside is what is needed. Compatible with Mac, of course. And starting with PowerPoint for presentations. The standard is PowerPoint, not Keynote, even being the former much better and intuitive that the latter. Those are the real facts!

Serious?

Have you ever even seen Keynote or compared it with PowerPoint?

Blows it into a smoking hole in the ground.
  • Reply 116 of 282
    Quote:

Huh? WTF?

Try picking up your laptop and typing on it without using your thumbs - you'll find it impossible.
  • Reply 117 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

YEP! printing would be a clear advantage for th iPad!

Nobody prints anymore. You are the only person who would want that. It is a better product because it will not print.

FOR ME.
  • Reply 118 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Are you implying that you're so mentally disorganized and uncertain as to require verification from others?

Nope. Guess again, Kreskin.
  • Reply 119 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

It will succeed (like iPod/iPhone) or fail (like Apple TV seems to be doing)

Why do you dismiss the possibility that it might do moderately well? Why one extreme or the other?
  • Reply 120 of 282
    Quote:

Nobody prints anymore. You are the only person who would want that. It is a better product because it will not print.

FOR ME.

Nobody prints anymore ? I get it now - you come from the future - THIS future...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0yQunhOaU0

where nobody reads either...