Steve Jobs disparages Google, Adobe at company meeting - reports

Comments

• Reply 141 of 247
    And so it begins....the death rattle of adobe flash....the layoffs are impending.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Why would they promote open standards and build the browser with leading HTML5 support, if that's the plan? Makes no sense. Apple even allows the software of competing shops and music services in the App Store...

He is trying to kill Flash, because Adobe is not giving Mac users a good product. They ignored Cocoa for a decade, now they can't even provide 64-bit apps, Flash crashes and eats resources like a 3D renderer, just for the trivial task of playing a movie... They want the revenues, but do not want to invest any work. Serves them right.

BTW, maybe read the blog of the Fennec (Mozilla browser used on Nokia's N900) developers. Guess what they have just done? Right. They disabled support for the Flash plug-in, as it was ruining the user experience to the degree of making the browser unusable.

• Reply 142 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

No, you already own them. The camera connection with USB and SD card slot adapters is $29.00 - hope that doesn't hurt your pocket too much.

The first sentence doesn't make much sense with the following ones. No, it doesn't hurt "much", but it does somewhat. There goes the straight "500 dollar" equip.

Quote:

Why should you have to buy a digital camera or printer, or Blu-tooth headset in the first place? I can't imagine. Is that a real question?!?!

Yes, in the sense that the iPad should already bring the USB / SD slot inside the black body. Reasons abound: first it would be cheaper than to buy those peripherals, second, it would be less peripherals to lose, third, it's lousy and ugly the way these white things glue to a black body, I could go on.

I also wonder how an iPad goes on about managing videos or photos from cameras directly, there's no finder after all...
  • Reply 143 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

A perfect example is the copy of Photoshop I just bought from Adobe's online store. Once I downloaded the installation file, I burned a copy of it onto disc and wrote my serial number on it. I then take that disc and put it in a binder along with all the other similar discs (ones containing software). It's also backed up in Time Machine somewhere, but for me, it's easier to pull out the binder and flip through the pages until I find the disc. Also, I burned a couple of video files to a DVD-R for my nephew this past weekend. Generally speak though, it's usually random stuff like this.

May I suggest CDFinder to catalogue you CDs and DVD's.

I have over 2,000 disks in my library. Each disk is prefaced digitally and sequentially numbered on the label. Only takes a second or two to find a file/folder/application etc., and its real easy to return to its original order.

I don't differentiate between a file or an application. I do that in CDFinder.

The beauty of it is that it doesn't matter if somebody borrows a disk. I don't have to worry what binder, or section it is in. More important, being numerically numbered, it is easier for me or anybody else to return and put them back in their proper order.
  • Reply 144 of 247
    It HAS been said to Adobe.

They elected ot ignore ti and whine instead.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The problem with this event was more like talking behind someone else's back, not a direct conversation like you suggest. It needs to be said to Adobe, not preached to the Apple employee choir.

• Reply 145 of 247
    Go to nearly any Best Buy nwo and the majority of the games are not on the shelves and what is on the shelves is utter crap, such as Dora or Carmen SanDiego. Game Stop is no different. The industry has already made it's decision: If you have a compter you are already online and can therefore get anything you need from there. No hard media needed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed! but it would be nice to see a world without plastic CD's/DVD's and all the attendant, plastic and cardboard packaging...not to mention the toxic ink used or all the mideast oil being used to ship this stuff. If I can download a 4gig movie wirelessly I don't see why I can't download most software?

Ps. Imagine no plastic bags, too.

• Reply 146 of 247
    A word of advice, in the Mac world - never say never...

I think you'd find enough feedback that goes both ways on stability. Adobe CS is a lot more stable on my newer Core i7 laptop with Windows 7 than it is on my Macbook. I would say they were probably about equal on my older laptop with Windows XP. Windows Vista (Windows ME take two) on the other hand, I could definitely see your point. I also think Mac OS X Tiger is way more stable than either of the last two Leopard releases. My Airport wireless broke when I upgraded to 10.5 RTM and has never been the same since even with subsequent patches.

I fail to see how a mobile version of the CS suite would be even useful, at least to serious content creators. Simple iPhoto edits, maybe, and I'm sure there are already web-based apps that can do that (http://www.picnik.com/).

To all the Flash haters, it isn't going anywhere because it is now a platform. There is many Flex-based applications that use the underlying Flash runtime. Flex makes it very easy and quick to build complex dynamic web (and desktop) applications. Do a Google search on Flex and you'll see what I mean. Flex is open source and there is pretty much a Flex on everything (Java, PHP, Ruby, C#, etc...) book which just goes to further the point on its popularity. Yes, Flash-advertisments suck, but that's why I use Firefox with Ad Blocker. There is still a place for properly developed Flash/Flex based applications that HTML can't touch when it comes to interactivity and desktop-like feel of web applications. Maybe HTML5 will change that, but I've yet to see a good example or a major implementation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Hmmm world doesn't work that way. Adobe will never ditch Apple. Suite is much stable on Mac than on PC and Adobe knew this for years. What Adobe needs to do is ditch their Desktop development and work on Mobile versions of Suite and make a revolution, rather than crying about Flash.

• Reply 147 of 247
    I agree wholeheartedly about Adobe being lazy, I use their crappy software all day and it certainly is buggy. They keep releasing new versions of their creative suite every 12-18 months with the previous version still being bug ridden. Adobe needs to take a break from their annual release strategy and rewrite their code from scratch, you can only ride on top legacy code for so long... we have computers with 8 cores and most Adobe programs barely use more than 2. To make matters worse, they have no real competition

As for Blu-ray, I wish they would just put those bloody drives in the Mac, at least as a build to order option in the Mac Pro and iMac. The new iMac has a gorgeous 16:9 screen and all I can play movie-wise is compressed to all hell iTunes movies? Blu-ray is superior in every way, the movies look better and I get to keep my limited hard drive space for more important things

That said I'm looking forward to the new 2010 macs, Adobe CS5... not so much
  • Reply 148 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

don't you mean formerly? At times this site is pretty sad.

I think "served" is past tense of "serve"; so, "formerly" would not be necessary, IMHO.
  • Reply 149 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

The first sentence doesn't make much sense with the following ones. No, it doesn't hurt "much", but it does somewhat. There goes the straight "500 dollar" equip.

Yes, in the sense that the iPad should already bring the USB / SD slot inside the black body. Reasons abound: first it would be cheaper than to buy those peripherals, second, it would be less peripherals to lose, third, it's lousy and ugly the way these white things glue to a black body, I could go on.

I also wonder how an iPad goes on about managing videos or photos from cameras directly, there's no finder after all...

What's with the "No Finder" complaint? Ok so the SYSTEM doesn't have a finder APP. That in no way means there isn't a file structure. Have you ever used the APP "Beatmaker"? You can create folders, delete folders, put projects in self made folders that you named yourself. You can name your files that you CREATE any name you want. What makes people think that it's just going to be one big folder with all the files in it being name "a1001ab.file"? That would idiotic and wouldn't happen. Spotlight will save the day when it comes to the finder app. I don't go to my App folder on my Mac to find textedit, I just search "tex" and it pops right up in spotlight as the first App available (actually the only one). Start to "think different"

I get the feeling people who complain about the finder don't really know how to use a Mac. At no point should it be necessary to be in the finder. Key word being necessary. I would compare using the Terminal to using the finder. It's a thing of the past. A stepping stone to the future.
  • Reply 150 of 247
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

May I suggest CDFinder to catalogue you CDs and DVD's.

Cool, I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
  • Reply 151 of 247
    great picture No really, it's so obviously not hyperbole. Did your mommy make it for you?

Widescreen 16:9 or other widescreen formats would make for a terrible book experience. Where as the aspect ratio that they chose will not hinder movies in anyway.

USB is already an option via the dock connector. In case you lack the brain power to comprehend what Apple is doing I'll explain. Apple is making a point that this thing doesn't need ports and if you have a need then use the doc port. I know for a fact this is going to be a critical part of the next wave of development for the "I" devices.

Why can't people understand that Iphone OS already multitasks? It just doesn't multitask 3rd party Apps, yet.

The problem ultimately with MT is that

1) it's not really a useful feature on the iphone except for the core services which do multi task. Haven't you ever made a phone cal while checking you email or reading information from the maps app?

2) Users will generally forget other applications are still running and therefore it will kill the battery in the device. I'm sure Apple has been working on a better way to avoid this problem while still providing the feature. Similar to the Iphone launch when people screamed "there's no copy and paste". Apple felt they had to do a better implementation of it before they release it to the consumer. They were right. Multi tasking third party Apps are sure to be part of OSV4. You really should work harder to keep yourself informed.

E_ink is kinda cool but it's very stone age at the same time. Again Apple is looking ahead to how books in the future will best be displayed and digested. E-ink doesn't allow for animation, video, GFX. Maybe in Ipad V2 E-Ink seems a good fit, but it is not ready immediately.

Slot card: See usb above... same notes. Already got one

Not sure how a Slate of granite can mutlitask so really the joke isn't that funny, but I supposed you could also use it to crack open that thick skull of yours and end your constant disappointment in electronic devices that aren't built specifically for you. Why does everyone think that in life all electronic devices must suit their individual needs? Do these same people believe in the concept of a personal god as well? Sorry to disappoint you, but Jobs and God are simply in it to make the masses happy and not you personally.

Take or leave it, the Ipad does many, many things very well. However, if you think you can get a better experience elsewhere, I would suggest that you immediately do so and stop wasting your time complaining about the IPad and creating bad graphics. Remaining fixated on your disappointment in an electronic manufacturers decisions will (in layman's terms) simply turn you into a horses ass.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

• Reply 152 of 247
    You're quoting a myth. There was an old NPD analyst report that gave a large percentage of sales to Macs, however Adobe has never separated out their percentages of sales to any platform so, as with most analyst reports, it's just a bunch of hyperbole. I talk to software licensing guys all the time in my role as the IT manager for my firm, and they always say they sell more volume licensed Adobe CS software to Windows-based platforms than Mac platforms.

The largest volume of Mac sales these days are for personal and entertainment use and those users would have no use for commercial Adobe apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its true a high percentage of Adobe's professional sales are to Mac users. Because a high percentage of content creation is done on the Mac.

I cannot find the study again. But it was shown on average Mac users purchase more professional software than the average PC user. Adobe cannot afford to loose Mac sales.

• Reply 153 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

What's with the "No Finder" complaint? Ok so the SYSTEM doesn't have a finder APP. That in no way means there isn't a file structure. Have you ever used the APP "Beatmaker"? You can create folders, delete folders, put projects in self made folders that you named yourself. You can name your files that you CREATE any name you want. What makes people think that it's just going to be one big folder with all the files in it being name "a1001ab.file"? That would idiotic and wouldn't happen. Spotlight will save the day when it comes to the finder app. I don't go to my App folder on my Mac to find textedit, I just search "tex" and it pops right up in spotlight as the first App available (actually the only one). Start to "think different"

Well, what happens when all I want is to browse my own files, just like I do in the laptop? I don't care about the Finder, I just care about solutions. What about if I don't exactly remember the name of the file, just that it was about X with a nice picture of Y?

Quote:

I get the feeling people who complain about the finder don't really know how to use a Mac. At no point should it be necessary to be in the finder. Key word being necessary. I would compare using the Terminal to using the finder. It's a thing of the past. A stepping stone to the future.

No problem with that. Just solve my problems and I won't need any "finder" at all. How do I browse my own "iPad"? Or are you telling me that browsing the web is easier than browsing the iPad?!? That would be hilariously ironic.
  • Reply 154 of 247
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Apple should just buy Adobe. Then they could do whatever THEY (apple) wanted with the software.
  • Reply 155 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

My next big purchase is a Nikon SLR and the 'wifi' sd card....no cables baby!

Uhhh, if you are a "pro" be wary of those cards. We've had many problems and ultimately almost always end up just bypassing the "tethering" altogether whether it's a wifi connection or a hard connection. While it does work it works marginally well so don't get your hopes up for "the perfect system" as it's almost impossible to build a product like this suitable for anything but a studio where nothing ever changes.
  • Reply 156 of 247
    I figured out how to multi-task. It would involve the implementation of features Spaces uses.

Imagine an "APP" that can load FOUR apps. Yet still be running Apples first party apps also.

Then you could switch between theses apps via the "Menu bar" (which I believe is coming).

To explain the menu bar. Considering screen size is larger, the menu bar could be about as tall as the letter "B" on my keyboard (macbook 2006). You would then be able to toggle things on and off like wifi, BT, 3g, menu bar being customizable via Preferences. Similar to OS X. You would have Spotlight and and APP switching available at the touch of the menu bar.. It's a rough Idea.
  • Reply 157 of 247
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Steve really has lost it if he thinks it wise to make enemies of Google and Adobe. Android with the Nexus One is the best smartphone on the market, and it's an open platform with multitasking. And as for Adobe, what would happen to the Mac if Adobe went Windows only with Photoshop? Apple need adobe more than adobe need apple.

Still no blue ray either, what a surprise. No new iMac for me then.

Had to laugh at Steve's complaint that Google was trying to kill the iPhone. Competetion sucks doesn't it Steve, but hey, it's sure good for the rest of us.
  • Reply 158 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Well, what happens when all I want is to browse my own files, just like I do in the laptop? I don't care about the Finder, I just care about solutions. What about if I don't exactly remember the name of the file, just that it was about X with a nice picture of Y?

No problem with that. Just solve my problems and I won't need any "finder" at all. How do I browse my own "iPad"? Or are you telling me that browsing the web is easier than browsing the iPad?!? That would be hilariously ironic.

Um if you Created it on the iPad and you don't remember what you named it. Go to the APP you created it with and find it in their "finder" for opening docs. If it's a text file and it's about "x" then search spotlight for "X". Searching spotlight isn't hard, as the files will pop up INSTANTLY as you type in the data you want to find. How would having a finder help in this situation you created.

In fact you can test this on your mac. Instead of going to the finder to open (or even search for) a doc. Just use an app that can open the doc your about to search for. For example, apoen iPhoto and then, menu, open. In the upper right hand corner is "search". or you can even brose the file system via the "open" window for the file you with "x" containing picutre "y".
  • Reply 159 of 247
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I was not aware there was a hidden USB port within the dock connector.

How did you think that the camera and SD dongles worked, then?
  • Reply 160 of 247
    One does not need to be an advanced Freudian to know that getting excessively defensive (or offensive) about a cartoon hides some serious issues. Overreaction usually implies repression of some kind ...