Steve Jobs disparages Google, Adobe at company meeting - reports

Comments

• Reply 161 of 247
    If you're just going to write shit, wait for response, then change shit, please don't bother typing in the first place. That was neither defensive nor offesive. I was just annoyed to respond to a post only to have the originating post changed
  • Reply 162 of 247
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

How did you think that the camera and SD dongles worked, then?

I'm not sure how this wouldn't be known since iDevices have been connecting via USB since, what 2002-2003.
  • Reply 163 of 247
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FullGaz View Post

Without multitasking (especially on the iPad) it's difficult to imagine...

Really? Front facing camera + iChat?

Let's be honest, even though the iPhone was a game changer (and it changed my life for sure) and even though the iPad will also be ubber-successful, there are a few basic things that Apple will have to introduce to keep up with the competition .

Just as we screamed for copy-paste before iPhone OS 3.0, we now want multitasking with easy switching between applications (I could live with a nice multi-touch swipe), iChat with front facing camera and yeah, 5 MP camera with LED flash.

Now, I have this theory that Apple always have a 5 years plan, just like the old communist party in the now defunct USSR: they come up with a fantastic product and introduce it bit by bit to the market. At first, the product seems lacking stuff, but really it's all there, in the lab or in the code, waiting to be updated or upgraded slowly!

I for one will buy the iPad - for my mum - but I'll certainly wait for V2 or even V3 before I get one for me...

But it's ok: in June, the new iPhone, and next year the new iPad

I agree, except for the conspiracy theory part. I'am certain Apple has a roadmap but to realize the 'end product' in one sweep is impossible.

Creating software and hardware is super time consuming and as a result it must evolve. It is also nearly impossible to see every change, even if it is only 5 years in the future. So Apple has to tune it's plans constantly.

J.
  • Reply 164 of 247
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The same things was said 10 years ago when Apple dropped the floppy disk and adopted the CD/DVD. People said the industry wasn't ready. Or when Apple dropped the old multipin ports and adopted USB and Firewire.

The others, OK, but still, the floppy was dropped at a time when there was simply nothing to replace it. This was years before the thumb drives or any kind of flash drive was common. There wasn't even an option for a CD writer in those machine for two years.
  • Reply 165 of 247
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

don't you mean formerly? At times this site is pretty sad.

He formerly formally served.
  • Reply 166 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Honestly I never understood people like you. If you are seriously still using a G4 then just buy an new MBP and stop waiting. Even if they update it 2 days later the current MBP will perform leaps and bounds over a G4. Get real, you're going to complain that 10 or so generations gain in performance is going to be overshadowed by 1 update to the MBP. Give it a rest and enjoy a new computer and quit complaining.

Very good post!
  • Reply 167 of 247
    Quote:

The same things was said 10 years ago when Apple dropped the floppy disk and adopted the CD/DVD. People said the industry wasn't ready. Or when Apple dropped the old multipin ports and adopted USB and Firewire.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The others, OK, but still, the floppy was dropped at a time when there was simply nothing to replace it. This was years before the thumb drives or any kind of flash drive was common. There wasn't even an option for a CD writer in those machine for two years.

Prime example, JeffDM. The Bondi Blue iMacs arrived in August 1998 while the first iMacs with a CD-RW came in February 2001. 2.5 years without paying for an expensive ZipDrive option.

Today, the options are considerably better on all fronts. I think HDD is now less than optical discs for storing excessive quantified and just s few small fires can be dumped on local computers, phones, SD cards, USB thumb drives, and sent to your cloud if need be.

I see no reason for the average user to even consider CD/DVD as viable for their primary method for copying files.
  • Reply 168 of 247
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

If you're just going to write shit, wait for response, then change shit, please don't bother typing in the first place. That was neither defensive nor offesive. I was just annoyed to respond to a post only to have the originating post changed

are we talking about multi-tasking stones?
  • Reply 169 of 247
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It's also about what the screen is capable of showing.

For instance 1080i has a pixel resolution of 1920×1080, but a lot of Apple's laptops can't show this much quantity. My 15" MBP can only show 1440x900.

When I had my 30" PM and a *cough* special cable input cards, the HD content was displayed in full quality at full resolution without scaling up or down AND my face was about 3 feet from the screen.

Talk about image quality!, I swear it felt like I was actually there.

Resolution plays a part, but even downscaled HD video usually looks better than upscaled SD. My trial was on a 15" MBP.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

How did you think that the camera and SD dongles worked, then?

I wonder if Apple's binder case even has pockets for them. I try to avoid adapters, doubly so rigid adapters. The longer it sticks out, the more leverage it can apply should any errant force be applied.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

It was a private meeting for employees - those happen you know. Companies do talk about their suppliers, competitors and affiliates during business meetings, and not always positively. This is business not a church group meeting.

Don't be so naive.

Every description of the meeting I've seen gives it an air that's more a pep rally than a professional business meeting. That's what I mean, it simply didn't sound like a pure professional business meeting.
  • Reply 170 of 247
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... just s few small fires can be dumped on local computers, ...

Just the Windows boxes though.
  • Reply 171 of 247
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Most software that I get these days is downloaded, without an app store. I still regularly use DVD for movies though.

Not that often for the commercial stuff though.

Quote:

The difference here is that you're getting rid of the floppy BEFORE the CD-ROM is adopted. Software hadn't been sold on floppies for years when the iMac hit the scene.

Quote:

I have no idea how this comment relates to the ones you replied to.

You seriously don't understand how people still actively using optical media applies to your post about dropping the optical drive?

Quote:

Before it's time, no. When it's time, yes.

That time is not right now. Digital downloads aren't very organized and the digital movie scene's DRM troubles make Blu-ray's bag of hurt look like a friendly jab. As such most of the commercial software is still bought on disk and the DVD is not even close to being in jeopardy. Of course if Apple were to get innovative with digital downloads and/or in-store software kiosks using SD cards things might change. If Apple, other consumer electronics companies, and the movie studios were to get together, come up with a single industry wide movie format that would not tie you in to a single company and you give you import rights, DVDs would start to be phased out like CDs were. However, the greed by the movie studios, Apple, and the other device makers is too great. They want you re-buying everything and being locked into their devices.
  • Reply 172 of 247
    Quote:

I see no reason for the average user to even consider CD/DVD as viable for their primary method for copying files.

Is there a reason to rip cds or remove DRM by burning them?
  • Reply 173 of 247
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

FOXNews says it is Fair and Balanced.

All for-profit corporations (including Apple) exist for one thing. To make a profit. They can be sued for not doing so. Anyone who believes corporations can be compassionate, or moral, or otherwise human haven't been to a shareholder meeting.

To that end, corporations will do and say anything to make a profit... including claiming they are not evil and even acting so. That is, however, absolutely no guarantee that they will act the same way tomorrow.

They can also be sued for breaking their promise, even commercials must be somewhat true.

Also, a reputation can only be lost once (or at least for the time it is remembered).

A good way to asses a company as a consumer is to look at the revenue streams.

If the company depends for a large part on sales to other companies - like Microsoft does - it is almost certain that end users will end up with draconian DRM and a horrible operating system.

If on the other hand the commercial interest is aligned with the consumer interest - as it is in Apples case - your almost sure you can 'trust' the company.

So you can 'trust' a company, and if you don't, don't buy!

J.
  • Reply 174 of 247
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Widescreen 16:9 or other widescreen formats would make for a terrible book experience. Where as the aspect ratio that they chose will not hinder movies in anyway.

USB is already an option via the dock connector. In case you lack the brain power to comprehend what Apple is doing I'll explain. Apple is making a point that this thing doesn't need ports and if you have a need then use the doc port. I know for a fact this is going to be a critical part of the next wave of development for the "I" devices.

Why can't people understand that Iphone OS already multitasks? It just doesn't multitask 3rd party Apps, yet.

And yet the lack of widescreen looked pretty silly when Steve was demoing video playback. 4:3 died years ago, it's a strange move to bring it back from the dead. The ebooks angle isn't something Apple are pushing much and rightly so, as iBooks is US only and nobody in their right mind would want to read for long periods on a super bright LCD screen.

Sorry, but your dock connector argument makes no sense. It's ridulous to have to buy an adaptor just to plug a camera or flash drive in. It's just a pointless upsell from Apple so they can save a few pennies on a USB connector, nothing more.

The iPhone OS multi-tasks with Apple apps a little, but not fully. I can't, for example, fire off a text message while browsing, I still have to quit Safari. What really annoys me is when I'm playing an iPhone game and a message, be it a text, an IM, or an email comes in, and the only way to view or reply to the message is to quit the game. Not exactly a great experience. Do you have inside info that multi-tasking for all apps is coming? As I've never seen it confirmed anywhere.
  • Reply 175 of 247
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

I'm looking forward to Macs becoming more iPad-like. I forsee an eventual split between the Pro and Consumer lines. Pro will include OSX. Consumer macs will include iPad OS.

I am stunned anyone could seriously want that. Do you really not want control over your own computer? That just boggles the mind.

Personally I quite like being able to install Chrome, download Amazon MP3s, rip DVDs, and view flash on web sites.
  • Reply 176 of 247
    . . .
  • Reply 177 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Nonsense. YOU can source media from many, many sources - the SD card slot appearing on new models follows SJ's comments about the disc being dead, and you can fit much more, with faster access on an SD card.

A company wanting to make profit is not 'greed', it's how companies grow, and have a reason want to continue to grow. R&D expenses and profit. Yes profit - it's not a dirty word.

Blu-ray does not compete with his 'low grade' HD movies. It is an alternative, and no one is stopping you using it. Who wants to watch 1080 HD content on a 9.7" screen - that's just bull. Apple are not trying to "kill flash", they're ensuring that flakey software which causes hangs, crashes, causes products overheats and reduces battery life isn't allowed to run on their devices. It's SJ's company, and that's his right - don't like it, don't buy the product.

Stability, security and a consistent user experience. That's what Apple are trying to achieve.

I for one applaud it.

And I applaud your mature response and basic understanding of the framework of a successful modern enduring business (2nd & 4th paragraphs).
  • Reply 178 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

And yet the lack of widescreen looked pretty silly when Steve was demoing video playback. 4:3 died years ago, it's a strange move to bring it back from the dead. The ebooks angle isn't something Apple are pushing much and rightly so, as iBooks is US only and nobody in their right mind would want to read for long periods on a super bright LCD screen.

I read this article which makes some interesting points about the 4:3 choice for iPad

www.computerworld.com
  • Reply 179 of 247
    Quote:

If you need to it's still there and will be there for awhile, but is that what most users are doing these days? I'd say it's unlikely. I'm not also not advocating the lack of an optical drive in the home, just that it's the next step in making notebook computers.

I just switched to syncing my iPhone to my MBP from the previous syncing with my IMac. Mostly so that I would have syncing available away from home. I think for many younger Mac users, the notebook is their only Mac so for the near term an optical drive is still needed.
  • Reply 180 of 247
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

What makes people think that it's just going to be one big folder with all the files in it being name "a1001ab.file"? That would idiotic and wouldn't happen.

But isn't that exactly how Apple stores music on the iPod?