Bill Gates unimpressed by Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Yep.

Really? I doubt that very much. I guess he never scribbled ideas on a notepad or something in Apple's early years and had things built based upon his ideas. How do you define develop, engineer or designed?

Steve Jobs is the 'Marketing Guy' that the OP was claiming Gates to be, are you really arguing that point?
  • Reply 22 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

So, it?s not like I sit there and feel the same way I did with iPhone where I say, 'Oh my God, Microsoft didn?t aim high enough.' It's a nice reader, but there?s nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.'"

I don't know, but I think it's possible that Bill Gates is telling the truth here and he really doesn't see the value of the iPad, just like millions of others. And that's the genius of Steve Jobs. Others can't dream up this valuable stuff on their own, and they can't even recognize it when it's directly shown to them. But they'll eventually get it when people around them start using iPads and they get to spend time with one themselves. An almost magical device, the Internet in your hands ... it's going to be awesome.
  • Reply 23 of 410
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Thank you- and no amount of spin here or from Apple will change that. It's basiclly an extension of the iTunes store (an iPod) and, even worse, a hobby exactly like the Apple TV (another iPod) was when it was released. And look where that is today.

Now I will be accused of being negative and a troll but I could care less.

Nobody has to spin anything to be impressed by 0.5", 1.5 lb device, that has a 9.7" web browser.
  • Reply 24 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I find it hypocritical that a marketing guy that never really invented anything except DOS says "no biggie" to something he doesn't really know anything about.

Bill Gates knows innovation like Donald Trump knows how to mop his floor.

So true & once again Bill Gates misses the point & is still living in the Eighties.
  • Reply 25 of 410
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

I find it hypocritical that a marketing guy that never really invented anything except DOS says "no biggie" to something he doesn't really know anything about.

You know Bill didn't write DOS, don't you...

He bought the rights do QDOS of some random punter and flogged it to IBM.
  • Reply 26 of 410
    Quote:

Bill Gates didn't invent DOS, he bought the rights to QDOS, written by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products.

QDOS was itself based on CP/M, written by Gary Kindall.

To be fair, Tim Paterson did go to work for Micosoft in 1981.
  • Reply 27 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Nobody has to spin anything to be impressed by 0.5", 1.5 lb device, that has a 9.7" web browser.

okay, what about a device that's 4.1 x 2.4 x .41? (the ipod)

• Reply 28 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

For once I agree with bill gates. The iPad really is unimpressive.

At this point I have to agree. Of course the iPad isn't released and there's probably some things that haven't come to life yet but I was really expecting something groundbreaking. Or at least that was my criteria for me to be interested in buying one. I have an iPhone, I have a MacBook so the iPad would have to do something that these devices can't or can't with ease. I just don't see it.

I guess I could be completely wrong. I wasn't too impressed with the iPod either and that certainly changed the game.
  • Reply 29 of 410
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I find it hypocritical that a marketing guy that never really invented anything except DOS....

Um, no he didn't. He bought it.

http://www.patersontech.com/Dos/Byte/History.html
  • Reply 30 of 410
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    it will do well despite what people say
  • Reply 31 of 410
    Quote:

Thank you- and no amount of spin here or from Apple will change that. It's basiclly an extension of the iTunes store (an iPod) and, even worse, a hobby exactly like the Apple TV (another iPod) was when it was released. And look where that is today.

Not a troll, you're entitled to your own opinion.

Personally I think the iPad is a cool device. From the minute I got my 1st iPhone I always thought if they made a similar device but 4-5x bigger, I'd get it.

I vehemently disagree with you about this being a hobby. I think this is the direction that Apple and the Mac OS are going. You can see glimmers of it with iTunes and iPhoto. Getting rid of the file structure and finder. Allowing users to work with their content in a quick and easy way. If you take a look at iWork, Calendar, Mail, and even Photo applications you can see that some serious thought and resources have been put into them. These apps launch faster then their equivalents on my MBP AND seem to be full featured with awesome GUIs.
  • Reply 32 of 410
    Funny how Billy missed the 'unimpressiveness' of the iPod and the somewhat 'impressiveness' of the iPhone - as gadgets of themselves. But they are more then gadgets - as Billy fails to comprehend - time and time again, as his former company continues to play catch-up over and over again...

it's all about the whole picture -> gadget hardware + gadget software + gadget design + hungry market + uninspired competitors + special deals with media companies + understanding the internet's changing and interactive spirit... these must all be in place for a gadget to aspire beyond a simple collection of wow-parts and become the game-changer.

If the iPad can do all these things, since some have not yet been revealed, we will again have another market leader by all-inclusiveness, the lifestyle that everyone wants.

Silly Billy - always computer geek, never businessperson, never artist, never dreamer. Go back to your garage and tinker by yourself (or save the orphans with your billions), whatever.
  • Reply 33 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Steve Jobs is the 'Marketing Guy' that the OP was claiming Gates to be, are you really arguing that point?

I'm arguing the point that he never had an idea, design or suggestion for something to be produced ever. Your original point was that he never designed or engineered anything, which is what I doubt. After over 30 years of being in business, I am quite sure he did get involved in something. He may not have programmed any single line of code, but that doesn't mean that he never had any input or ideas on products that was given to his goons and prototyped.
  • Reply 34 of 410
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Steve Jobs is a master marketer. There is no debating that point. But, no, I don't think that that was the previous poster's argument. The argument is about the original claim that Steve Jobs never developed, engineered, or designed anything. That assertion is laughable. He may not be a developer or engineer himself, but he has been known to spend YEARS with teams of engineers and developers trying to get a single product right. Sometimes, the product never meets his design standards, and he scraps the whole thing.

He is VERY MUCH involved in the design process. Is ANYBODY really arguing THAT point?

Thompson
  • Reply 35 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Being a border-line tech-nerd myself (girls kinda like me, but not too much), I was a little unsure what to think of it when it first came out, but I now think it's going to be a big success. I keep finding myself in situations where it would be the perfect tool, and the normal people that I talk to are pretty interested in it.

Borderline? You sound like an über-geek But don't worry, I'm sure lots of girls like you. One day one will like you lots and you'll marry her.
  • Reply 36 of 410
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

A lot of opinions have been expressed regarding the iPad being nothing but a iPod Touch on steroids. The conclusion is that the product disappoints.

But one might want to check their implied premise, which is that a large iPod Touch would suck. The iPod Touch is a very popular product, and one of the main knocks against it is the small screen. Another is the lack of 3G connectivity. Providing a version with a very large screen and 3G as an option addresses those concerns.

So I can start with the same view, i.e. that the iPad is basically a large iPod Touch (or if you opt for 3G, a large iPhone without the voice call component yet) and obtain the conclusion that it will be a fairly popular product. Not "iPhone-style" popular... but definitely "Macbook-style" popular.

Thompson
  • Reply 37 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

...I was really expecting something groundbreaking.

The iPad is ground breaking but people's expectations were too high. But I'd wager that the really groundbreaking thing is not as much the iPad itself, but the way it will change the way we interact with the web.

Quote:

I guess I could be completely wrong. I wasn't too impressed with the iPod either and that certainly changed the game.

No comment (required)
  • Reply 38 of 410
    iTouch is a big success. The iPad is a big iTouch. Big is bad. Therefore the iPad will fail. MacBookPro is 13 to 17" and is bigger than an iTouch and is successful. iPad is smaller than a MacBook. Small is bad. Device will not multi task. People can't actually multi task. Can't do what we can't do. Switching from function to function on computer is slow without multi-tasking. iPad will open new function as quickly as switching tasks on a computer. They only talked about the iPad in this article. Why can't they multi task and talk about 5 or 6 things at once? Great logic from the critics.
  • Reply 39 of 410
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

BEAUTIFUL idea! Shooting with your DSLR tethered to an iPad would be an asset that would be invaluable and make a wonderful professional reason to buy one!

Alas though.... Unless they made the iPad so that I can tether it to my iPhone and I don't need to pay for any extra data package I most likely will not be in the market for one. I have my iPhone and I have my MacBook Pro. Do I really need or want a 9.7" iPod Touch that cannot embrace the real internet?

Notice how Aperture 3's new full-screen mode looks a lot like a touch-sceen interface. You'd have to make the buttons a little bigger, and you'd lose the keyboard shortcuts. But other than that, right there is your iPad version.

To your 2nd point... I wonder how well the new Palm Pro models' wi-fi sharing works. It let's you use the phone's wi-fi to share it's 3G connection, similar to a mifi card would do. Maybe a feature request for the iPhone...to allow tethering via it's wi-fi connection rather than bluetooth or USB (I assume the current iPhone can't do that in those countries where tethering is allowed?)
  • Reply 40 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I guess he never scribbled ideas on a notepad...

nah...he only scribbles all those zeros in his net worth figure.

It amazes me to this day how people discount and devalue what the MOST SUCCESSFUL (Read: Richest) MAN IN THE WORLD thinks.

They say: "Nah, ignore him, he's a fool."

Ah, no sorry, you're the fool. Next.