Bill Gates unimpressed by Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

...Every Windows based tablet has performed badly in the marketplace because Microsoft failed to understand that a new form-factor needs a new interface...

C.

While agree with your comment about the interface needing a major retooling (nearly a re-definition actually) to work well in a tablet form factor, in my opinion the ecosystem is a major component as well, just as, if not more, important than the actual device itself.

A tablet is an appliance, it is not a desktop PC, it's not a laptop. As such, the preconceived ways of using it are out the window. It's a whole new paradigm of device and ecosystem working together to produce an experience like none other. Now that's not to say it'll be the best experience for everyone, just that it will be a new experience.

The great thing is (for all the pundits out there), if you don't want to play in Job's playground you don't have to.
  • Reply 82 of 410
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I think Bill Gates loaded his Microsoft Depends to the top and ruined his Microsoft Pajamas when he saw this device. There is no way he's going to say he likes it even a bit, how would that support his company, his software and his hardware vendors?

Welcome the zunePad in a year or so, complete with Microsoft Surface technology and the ZuneStore. But it'll be 2 years behind, as usual.

Maybe the Courier will arrive earlier but it's guaranteed that MS will have some product either directly or indirectly similar to the iPad in the next couple of years.

We are heading down the path to appliance devices, it makes sense for integration, content sales, user interface and secure computing.
  • Reply 83 of 410
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    What does he know about modern computers? He's out of the loop!

Entrusting Microsoft to "Bozo" Ballmer was his death wish.
  • Reply 84 of 410
    I like the look and performance of the iPad, but I'm a little concerned about the form factor. Everyone I see using a netbook/small notebook is sitting at a bar or table, or on the floor - they are not in a easy chair or couch. I don't think it will be very convenient to type into this device while looking down at the screen. We will have to use a separate stand/keyboard, but that just means carrying two things around.

Ray
  • Reply 85 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raybo View Post

I like the look and performance of the iPad, but I'm a little concerned about the form factor. Everyone I see using a netbook/small notebook is sitting at a bar or table, or on the floor - they are not in a easy chair or couch. I don't think it will be very convenient to type into this device while looking down at the screen. We will have to use a separate stand/keyboard, but that just means carrying two things around.

Ray

I disagree. the best way to transport/protect this thing is in a folder/book style case. Apple already has one available that converts to stand. This was already thought out by Apple.
  • Reply 86 of 410
    I do not understand why Gates is comparing the ipad to a netbook. The HP slate that Baller showed but didn't demo would be a better comparision.

My take on that is that after Jobs showed what "little" the ipad had to offer for $499, Msft and the pc vendors went back to the drawing boards to play catch-up to the "meh" ipad. So now he pushes the netbooks as being superior..
  • Reply 87 of 410
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Dear Mods,

What is the point of deleting a user's account if they are allowed to come back with another name? It makes things worse because longtime posters won't be aware of the new alias they previously had ignored and new posters won't be able to read their posting history to get a sense of the their thread derailing habits. It's a clean slate that hurts everyone but the offender.

Sincerely,

Concerned AI Posters.
  • Reply 88 of 410
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Dear Mods,

What is the point of deleting a user's account if they are allowed to come back with another name? It makes things worse because longtime posters won't be aware of the new alias they previously had ignored and new posters won't be able to read their posting history to get a sense of the their thread derailing habits. It's a clean slate that hurts everyone but the offender.

Sincerely,

Concerned AI Posters.

Totally agree.
  • Reply 89 of 410
    I'm just astounded once again by peoples lack of vision. Do you ever learn?

This thing is gonna sell.

As for Bill Gates..... pffft Stevie Wonder has more vision.
  • Reply 90 of 410
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    [QUOTE=thompr;1570601]Steve Jobs is a master marketer. /QUOTE]

Bill Gates is the worlds best poker player. He'll look you straight in the eye and make you show your cards when he has nothing and he wins! I guess that is a skill to be prized these days.

Steve Jobs is a details guy, with some understanding of useful, meaningful art. Plus, if you doubt his engineering savvy, watch the YouTube of him demoing NextSTep!!!! Way up there!

Yes he knows how to market as well, because he speaks with enthusiasm and demands and creates the best devices in the world. My 128k was great, my first Gen iPhone is still great.

(He isnt lying thru his teeth wearing a green eye shade, like some overly wealth spoiled brat who take pride in injecting African kids with mercury laden vaccines, so that if they don't die of AIDS, they will become sterile or autistic at the minimum!)

But I can't wait to get my iPad!
  • Reply 91 of 410
    Quote:

Dear Mods,

Sincerely,

Concerned AI Posters.

Out of principle, I have to agree.
  • Reply 92 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Totally agree.

Me too.
  • Reply 93 of 410
    You know, I?m a big believer in touch and digital reading, but I still think that some mixture of voice, the pen and a real keyboard - in other words a netbook - will be the mainstream on that... It?s a nice reader, but there?s nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.' - Bill Gates, Microsoft Chairman

Translation: "There's nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, we could get away with stealing that, too.'"

This is what Microsoft has done instead, after a decade of "work" so far:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Review....html?x=0&.v=1

Awesome.
  • Reply 94 of 410
    Who is Bill Gates??? Are you talking about that guy who creates Windoz? (the Wind of Oz?) That OS that crashes every minute cause it's a virus' magnet? I heard it can automatically download like 200.000 viruses into your PC in like just a few days! Well, if you like Free stuff, you're in!

Is it the same guy that recently decided to "clone" the Apple Store because he didn't think of it himself? Does Microsoft becoming the shadow of Apple? Maybe he should comment like "well the Apple store is nothing new really, it's just a store..." or " the Zunes is defiitely beter than the iPod..." Oh, by the way what happened to Windows Mobile?

At least Windows 8 should be a more decent product as it is "influenced" by OS X.

The iPad may not be reolutionary but Steve Jobs is getting the last important market with it: Books!!! And 140.000 Apps available right away, I doubt Microsoft can EVER beat that!!! Also, how can it be that Amazon is rethinking the Kindle in the wake of the iPad? (see AppleInsider) If it's that bad, how can Disney be So interested about this revolutionary device? (see AppleInsider).

But Microsoft can create new awesome products, as far as Apple get the original idea... OK, the copies are cheaply made and never works very well but hey, it's Microsoft. I've heard they may come with a similar device as the iPad, but a little more complicated, adding a pen (that you don't need as God gave you ten fingers versus one pen!) and a keyboard (which by the way is available as an option for the iPad Mr Gates, please get informed before making ignorant comments). Possibilities are this "revolutionary" device has already a code name: the iProut.

Well, the Dark Side has a price... and now a name...

Hey, I just got a "revolutionary" idea for MIcrosoft's new slogan: "Why making things simple if you can make them complicated?"
  • Reply 95 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I disagree. the best way to transport/protect this thing is in a folder/book style case. Apple already has one available that converts to stand. This was already thought out by Apple.

This will just add weight to the device - might as well stick to the netbook format combining guts with keyboard. Touch controls do not equal typing comfortably.
  • Reply 96 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I thought name calling wasn't allowed on here??

Moderators: TEKSTUD's a passive-aggressive time-waster who detracts from your site in a serious way. He's simply into a catatonic restatement of the same half-dozen negative ideas in every thread.

Can't you see the overwhelming negative sentiment about this recalcitrant?

Please throw him out.
  • Reply 97 of 410
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

what does he know about the possible success of the iPad?

He never said it would not be a success. I'd argue he's entitled to an opinion just like everyone else. Quit being so defensive, guys.

P.S. Slash Lane is the best tech news writer on AI.
  • Reply 98 of 410
    Neither Gates or Jobs is much of an engineer or designer. They are excellent business men who saw an opportunity and put together a team of people with the necessary skills to take advantage of the opportunity.

With their success they gained enough money and power to have the ability to get more of their ideas out to the public. Some were hits, some were not.

I think the iPad will be a successful product. I am not sure it will be revolutionary in any way, but I admit that it has some good potential with a few modifications. I think we will see a huge surge in the initial sales of the iPad in the first couple of months. However, there will be a significant backlash when people, who do not know about the lack of flash, get the device and have a frustrating Web Browsing experience with the device. Most of us here know what to expect from the device, most of the public does not. I predict a lot of unhappy customers on the lack of flash issue alone... The good news for the apple fans is that it should create a steady supply of discounted iPads on the refurb site.

In a few years ( assuming that the iPad is still around ) and the web generally moves away from flash content, people will prefer them over notebook computers for most casual computing.

Anyway, that is my prediction:

Huge initial sales surge ( Apple Fans can generate this alone... )

Huge backlash about the lack of Flash Content from the average Joe...

A more gradual adoption as the web moves away from flash over the next several years....
  • Reply 99 of 410
    Quote:

Dear Mods,

Sincerely,

Concerned AI Posters.

quit hijacking threads with this. you are resorting to what you are 'concerned' about. thanks.
  • Reply 100 of 410
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Personally, I think it's on the big side and wish it were a little smaller.

You wanted another iPod touch then? It's the size it is for a reason, just as I said it would be around 10". If you want pocketable they have products for that. What's great about the iPad is the size of its screen. Just imagine a digital board game? Times are-a-changin' man.