Bill Gates unimpressed by Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Debian Dog View Post

What the F are you talking about "Click to Flash" is to TURN OFF Flash. You do not need it to make Flash work there Spanky.

I know that- but aren't you adding it because flash is giving you the beach ball of death on every website?
  • Reply 62 of 410
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

A lot of opinions have been expressed regarding the iPad being nothing but a iPod Touch on steroids. The conclusion is that the product disappoints.

But one might want to check their implied premise, which is that a large iPod Touch would suck.

That's not my implied premise. My premise was that the iPad would be a great tablet computer; what I have been waiting for for (literally) years.

It is not. Hence, my disappointment. It is instead an information appliance which fails to render 75% of web videos, and a movie-watching appliance which has an antique aspect ratio.

I'm still waiting for the information/entertainment tablet (actually, the general purpose computer tablet) that I have wanted for years. No cigar with the 'Pad. Not for me. And your imagined premise ain't got nothing to do with it.
  • Reply 63 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I thought name calling wasn't allowed on here??

Tek, you're going down that same road again.
  • Reply 64 of 410
    Bill's coments are exactly why microsoft hasen't developed an exciting product since.... well, ever.

/R
  • Reply 65 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"So, it’s not like I sit there and feel the same way I did with iPhone where I say, 'Oh my God, Microsoft didn’t aim high enough.' It's a nice reader, but there’s nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.'"

"There's nothing that the iPod does that I say, 'Oh, wow, I don't think we can do that.'" - Bill Gates, September 02, 2004

• Reply 66 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

The result has been a flat-footed inability to predict, let alone respond to, the computing needs of the so-called consumer market.

Their share of the consumer market dwarfs Apple's share. If what you said about MS is true, what conclusions can be drawn about Apple?
  • Reply 67 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

What people should be asking now: "Where/what will the iPad be in 2-3 years?" The ball is just starting to roll.

<yawn>

Wake me up when the 'Pad becomes something I'd like to own.
  • Reply 68 of 410
    Quote:

Steve Jobs is all that and a salesman foremost.

Google PT Barnum.

iSteve knows how to fool some of the people all of the time. That is his genius.
  • Reply 69 of 410
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Wow, competitor unimpressed with new product. News at 11. This crap writes itself.

This happens with any industry, computers is no exception. Dell isn't going to go about praising a Compaq product, they go about trying to undermine it somehow.
  • Reply 70 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

a new form-factor needs a new interface.

I agree, which is one of the reasons I am so disappointed that the iTouch interface was shoehorned into the new form factor.

I was expecting something innovative.
  • Reply 71 of 410
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

BEAUTIFUL idea! Shooting with your DSLR tethered to an iPad would be an asset that would be invaluable and make a wonderful professional reason to buy one!

Alas though.... Unless they made the iPad so that I can tether it to my iPhone and I don't need to pay for any extra data package I most likely will not be in the market for one. I have my iPhone and I have my MacBook Pro. Do I really need or want a 9.7" iPod Touch that cannot embrace the real internet?

But you can via wifi, I guess the iPone app will be called WiFishare.

I'm now scrambling to implement it.

J.
  • Reply 72 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

We have no clue if the average user is going to have any interest in the iPad. We should at least wait until its been available for a while.

With that being said love or hate them Bill Gates and Steve Jobs will go down in history as the pioneers of the technology age. So the fact that Steve Jobs has made many comments about his competitors Bill Gates also has the right and when either speaks they are taken seriously.

Bill Gates is simply giving his opinion, something Steve Jobs does often.

Rather than reading the wailings of the out-of-touch tech pundits, I have spoken to some average people who are not geeks but mainstream consumers. They love it and can't wait to try it. Almost universally they won't commit to buying it but are excited to try it out. If the screen is big enough, the type legible enough and the hardware light enough...they're sold!

Most these people have already used an iPod or iPhone and are expecting the software to be just as easy to use. Some people disparage the iPad by saying "Its just a big iPod Touch". Yeah and that's not a bad thing. Many people want A BIGGER IPOD TOUCH!

Maybe you wanted flexible organic OLED screens, augmented reality interfaces and tractor beams, but Joe Shmoe doesn't.
  • Reply 73 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

A lot of opinions have been expressed regarding the iPad being nothing but a iPod Touch on steroids. The conclusion is that the product disappoints.

But one might want to check their implied premise, which is that a large iPod Touch would suck. The iPod Touch is a very popular product, and one of the main knocks against it is the small screen. Another is the lack of 3G connectivity. Providing a version with a very large screen and 3G as an option addresses those concerns.

So I can start with the same view, i.e. that the iPad is basically a large iPod Touch (or if you opt for 3G, a large iPhone without the voice call component yet) and obtain the conclusion that it will be a fairly popular product. Not "iPhone-style" popular... but definitely "Macbook-style" popular.

Thompson

Oh I think it will be successful, I've never said it wouldn't. But it's not for me - I have enough iPods to last me fine. The thing it many of us were just very dissapointed that after 3 years since the Netbook came into being that this was Apple's answer to it. Having said that I'm sure it will do well especially once the pricing gets adjusted downwards. However I don't see it as a revolutionary device due to the fact that it's controlled and tied to the iTunes store like the AppleTV is.

Tek
  • Reply 74 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ipad.requests/

Norwegian resellers forced to halt Apple iPad pre-orders due to "crazy interest"

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 04:53 PM EST

Apple is facing the rare incident of an advance sellout this week as a number of Norwegian resellers have had to stop their pre-order programs for the iPad. Eplehuset (Apple House) has told its customers that "crazy interest" has led it to stop sales in advance. Fellow Apple reseller Humac has also quietly pulled the iPad, as it still has a category but no longer has active product pages.

It's believed that the sites took thousands of advance orders for the touchscreen device and that, unusually, the largest portion of orders skew heavily towards the more expensive 64GB iPad with 3G. Norwegian prices are also expected to be disproportionately high as a 16GB, Wi-Fi only iPad may cost 3790 Krone, or about $636.

Most retailers elsewhere in the world haven't taken pre-orders, making it difficult to gauge how reflective Norway's surprise may be of actual overall demand. However, the smaller population compared to some of Apple's larger markets suggests that unofficial pre-orders should be larger where they exist in the US.

A strong build-up isn't uncharacteristic for e-reader devices, as Barnes & Noble had to delay retail Nook sales for months. Such delays have usually been attributed to low production rather than sheer demand, however, and have rarely been given concrete numbers to gauge actual interest.

Also, such demand isn't known to have been seen before for tablet computers, which usually ship in lower numbers as a whole and are noticeably less common in Europe or the Americas than in southeast Asian countries like Korea. [via iPod1]"

You are really stretching with this quote. Clearly norway is the hotbed when it comes to predicting how a product is going to do on the market...

By they way that wasn't even close to the main point of my post.
  • Reply 75 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

iSteve knows how to fool some of the people all of the time. That is his genius.

Agreed- totally.

Don't you mean his- "igenius"?
  • Reply 76 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I find it hypocritical that a marketing guy that never really invented anything except DOS says "no biggie" to something he doesn't really know anything about.

Bill Gates knows innovation like Donald Trump knows how to mop his floor.

he didn't invent DOS, he bought it AFTER he licensed it to IBM.
  • Reply 77 of 410
    Bill, make something better, or else - STFU! Zune vs iPod ? iPhone vs oh, wait ... iPad vs ?
  • Reply 78 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Rather than reading the wailings of the out-of-touch tech pundits, I have spoken to some average people who are not geeks but mainstream consumers. They love it and can't wait to try it. Almost universally they won't commit to buying it but are excited to try it out. If the screen is big enough, the type legible enough and the hardware light enough...they're sold!

Most these people have already used an iPod or iPhone and are expecting the software to be just as easy to use. Some people disparage the iPad by saying "Its just a big iPod Touch". Yeah and that's not a bad thing. Many people want A BIGGER IPOD TOUCH!

Maybe you wanted flexible organic OLED screens, augmented reality interfaces and tractor beams, but Joe Shmoe doesn't.

How can you love something you have never tried? People use the term geek here like its a bad word. Which is a joke seeing its safe to say both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are without a doubt technology geeks.

Acutally all I wanted was multitasking and simple stuff like Flash. Maybe something crazy like a USB port. Its Ireland that has a hardon for OLED.
  • Reply 79 of 410
    Quote:

Agreed- totally.

Don't you mean his- "igenius"?

Kvailys visi?kas.
  • Reply 80 of 410
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Bill Gates knows that the iPad will sell and that's why he said he is not impressed and didn't say "it won't sell". The iPad will sell and he knows it. He is probably giving Ballmer pointers on how to copy the iPad without being caught.