Apple iPad demand exceeds pre-launch iPhone buzz

Comments

• Reply 21 of 190
    NO one I know is interested in this AT ALL. Everyone I know is waiting for the i7 chip in the MBP's already.

Nice try by the chearleaders of Apple to whip up interest with this story.
  • Reply 22 of 190
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.p...40&cid=2467504

by LoudMusic (199347) on Tuesday October 23 2001, @01:52PM (#2467504)

[I]Raise your hand if you have iTunes ...

Raise your hand if you have a FireWire port ...

Raise your hand if you have both ...

Raise your hand if you have $400 to spend on a cute Apple device ...

There is Apple's market. Pretty slim, eh? I don't see many sales in the future of iPod.

The iPod didn't take off properly until Apple change that stuff, like price (a little), but mostly Windows and Firewire. So his comment is still right.
  • Reply 23 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

converting a multi-touch product into a laptop?

This is backwards thinking at its finest.

It won't convert the iPad to a laptop, as a laptop has other features, but replace some of the lost functionality, mostly the stand and the keyboard.

What I predict is people will want to take that stand and keyboard concept with them in case or a folder of some sort, to provide those features and extra battery life in a portable enclosure.

This extra device will supplement the iPad touchscreen, not replace it.

(OP edited to clarify.)
  • Reply 24 of 190
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    What is a "netback"?
  • Reply 25 of 190
    Quote:

Was there ever any doubt that demand would be high?

Never in your mind- how could there be?
  • Reply 26 of 190
    I wonder if Apple will create a device like the iPad, but without the expensive silicon that would allow iPhone and iPod Touch owners to attach to the back. Basically, why not have a device cheaper than the iPad just for I/O? It would be great to see the next iPhone with 1024x768 resolution to allow people to buy a $199 dummy slate (7" or 10") for applications that demand more real estate. The battery in the large display could help power the handheld longer, etc. Just a thought.

A short write up on the idea.

bit.ly/bHv0az
  • Reply 27 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

NO one I know is interested in this AT ALL. Everyone I know is waiting for the i7 chip in the MBP's already.

While the survey could easily be wrong it's quite obvious more people are waiting for an iPad than a i7 MacBook Pro. The problem with you, like most geeks--is they are geeks. Geeks don't know what the average punter wants, perhaps Apple does.

The iPad's success is in no way guaranteed, but if I was to bet I'd lean more towards it being than not. Heck, I know people who'd buy one for Zynga Poker. The iPad might just be the first computer some people are able to use. That sounds dramatic, but from personal experience there's an awful lot of people out there who find Windows and Mac overly complex--to say they least. I don't, but people do. No one on this forum, but there are over 6B in the world.
  • Reply 28 of 190
    Quote:

Everyone you know?

You mean all your alt accounts?
  • Reply 29 of 190
    I'm considering picking up the 16 GB WiFi model only for presentation purposes. That option wasn't listed in the survey.

...Unless it just didn't make the top 5.
  • Reply 30 of 190
    Quote:

Never in your mind- how could there be?

It's fun to back a winner.
  • Reply 31 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Well, if you read fanboy sites like AppleInsider and MacRumors, everyone is completely disappointed about every millimeter of the device which is way overpriced (ignoring the economics of consumer electronics manufacturing) and way underfeatured (ignoring the laws of physics).

In other words, exactly the same as all other devices that Apple puts out.

These are the same folks that scream during every CPU rumor that the next one must have Blu-ray etc ignoring that few folks in the general market (which is 95% of the world) care about blu-ray on a computer and half of the folks that do want to burn are fine with an external.
  • Reply 32 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

What is a "netback"?

A typo. Should be netbook.
  • Reply 33 of 190
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

We are a family of four. One iPhone. I could never get my wife on board-she is very happy with her iPod touch.

We plan on getting three* iPads with WiFI day one. And another with Wi-Fi+3G*? as soon as they are available.

On a more anecdotal note, I am hearing more of the same thing from my friends, colleagues and client.

*iPad app development

?For my ego

Same thing here. Many of my friends, even those who never owned Apple products (maybe iPods), were telling me they will get an iPad. My brother own a netbook and a desktop (both Windows XP) is planning to replace them with an iMac and an iPad.
  • Reply 34 of 190
    Quote:

It's fun to back a winner.

Or conversely dangerous to be such an addict.
  • Reply 35 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

A typo. Should be netbook.

lol..
  • Reply 36 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's easy to say they when you can find one.

Most of the retail stores are located in large metropolitan areas with heavy foot traffic. They will sell a lot of ipads.
  • Reply 37 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

Most of the retail stores are located in large metropolitan areas with heavy foot traffic. They will sell a lot of ipads.

I'm talking about only me though lol. [typo "they" = "that"]
  • Reply 38 of 190
    Quote:

Everyone you know?

You mean all your alt accounts?

I'm not that demonic nor lonely. And Apple is not my only friend.
  • Reply 39 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

No - I think it's more of a suburban couch potato kind of thing.
  • Reply 40 of 190
    Quote:

I'm not that demonic nor lonely. And Apple is not my only friend.

You sure like using smileys in the wrong places.