Apple iPad demand exceeds pre-launch iPhone buzz

Comments

• Reply 61 of 190
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I know a handful of people that want an iPad. When I say want, I mean they will be purchasing the 1st generation model when it comes out.

In 2007 I would have said the same thing about the iPhone and look how well that turned out for Apple. I think the iPad will de very well. "Missing" features will be rolled in as they are finished. There will be a major update to the OS in late summer/early fall. The iPad will sell like gangbusters this holiday season.
  • Reply 62 of 190
    Good points. There are, of course, lots of people who will want an iPad from day one. I want one ASAP, but will wait for some more features to come(whatever they may be), the price to come down a bit, memory to go up a bit -- maybe in a year or two.

iPadLot.com

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

We are a family of four. One iPhone. I could never get my wife on board-she is very happy with her iPod touch.

We plan on getting three* iPads with WiFI day one. And another with Wi-Fi+3G*† as soon as they are available.

On a more anecdotal note, I am hearing more of the same thing from my friends, colleagues and client. No matter how many people I show my iPhone to, there is not the interest or 'I wanna this' as when they see the iPad video. This is especially true at the university and in business where Wi-Fi is ubiquitous.

*iPad app development

†For client demonstrations and my ego.

• Reply 63 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I see people dumping notebooks (except mobile professionals) and getting something like this and a powerful desktop. I realized last year that my macbook pro was always docked and the smaller devices (netbook, iphone) were all i needed.

I too think an iPad + iMac is all I will need, especially with apps like LogMeIn and VNC. I'll be able to do minor things remotely to my iMac on this, and that will be perfect.

Yep sounds like a plan! Be sure to check out 'DropBox' MacWorld's Jason Snell recommended this as a must have free App for syncing all files between, macbook, iMac, and even the iPhone. I've been using it for a month now and it is fantastic. Way better than iDisk...and I'm a big fan of MobileMe....Dropbox offers 2 gigs free..next payday I'm upgrading to 50gig for $50/year.

Edit: no affiliation with dropbox just a great app!
  • Reply 64 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If you're going to go that big with it, it's probably best to leave out the colour.

I'll take that hint...whatever it was!
  • Reply 65 of 190
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Of those surveyed, 68 percent said they would surf the Internet with the iPad

What percentage will be disappointed when they find out that their shiny new iDevice will not display their favorite websites?
  • Reply 66 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

That about sums it up. What the iPad requires is a little bit of Think Different and a 'Larger View'. Put the iPad and the app store together and it is obvious that this thing will be a runaway hit. The geek set tend to focus on specs and certain posters here and on other sites obsess and love to be contrary. Its the nature of the beast I guess but it is amazing how the technically 'educated' often don't 'get it'. They are also the ones most affected by the hype with raised expectations beyond feasibility.

Correct. Geeks are fundamentally small-picture people, which is why you don't want them in charge of large projects (or running companies). Their idea of successful design is to cram in as many "cool" features as time and budget will allow, without giving much consideration to how the features are implemented or how non-geeks will use them. This is because they generally have contempt for people who lack their level of technical expertise. I'm grateful that Apple at least tries to take a different approach, which predictably infuriates the geeks. I'm good with that -- the more incensed the geeks become, the more likely it is that Apple will succeed.
  • Reply 67 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I know a handful of people that want an iPad. When I say want, I mean they will be purchasing the 1st generation model when it comes out.

In 2007 I would have said the same thing about the iPhone and look how well that turned out for Apple. I think the iPad will de very well. "Missing" features will be rolled in as they are finished. There will be a major update to the OS in late summer/early fall. The iPad will sell like gangbusters this holiday season.

People said the same thing about the AppleTV before that came out and look where that is now. Once people realize that this thing will LOCK them into the iTunes store for life it will become niche. Add to that lask of flash websites and expect the returns a flowin and the sales a stoppin.
  • Reply 68 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"The survey also found that lack of a camera, support for Adobe Flash, or multitasking have not had a significant impact on buyer interest."

But resident trolls like iGenius and TEKSTUD say the lack of these features are deal killers and the iPad will fail miserably without them. This survey must be wrong. Right? Or are the trolls just urinating into a headwind?

I never once said that the 'Pad will fail miserably. Indeed, I'm on record predicting that they will sell like hotcakes.

I have never once mentioned the lack of a camera. The lack of ability to access most web video and the lack of ability to multitask ARE deal killers, for me.
  • Reply 69 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

Good points. There are, of course, lots of people who will want an iPad from day one. I want one ASAP, but will wait for some more features to come(whatever they may be), the price to come down a bit, memory to go up a bit -- maybe in a year or two.

Even if I'm sad due to the lack of iSight, I won't be able to wait a year or two. Things are moving so fast... By that time I'll probably be at my 3rd iPad...
  • Reply 70 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I couldn't find anything that says the keyboard is BT enabled. As far as I can tell it is just a keyboard attached to the dock. I don't think you will be able to use a BT keyboard with the iPad without third party adapter.

Apple is releasing a dockable keyboard accessory that is not BT, but it's also been indicated that the iPad will support use of a standard BT keyboard out of the box.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I see people dumping notebooks (except mobile professionals) and getting something like this and a powerful desktop. I realized last year that my macbook pro was always docked and the smaller devices (netbook, iphone) were all i needed.

I too think an iPad + iMac is all I will need, especially with apps like LogMeIn and VNC. I'll be able to do minor things remotely to my iMac on this, and that will be perfect.

Yes, most people who have been buying laptops (including netbooks) don't really need laptops, and there are not that many "mobile professionals" who actually do need laptops. Most of the people who have been buying laptops will be better served with a dedicated desktop system with a larger screen and an iPad for mobile and around-the-house usage. And, by better served, I mean more productive with the desktop and better usability with the iPad in the situations where they will use it instead of a laptop.
  • Reply 71 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

third party?

don't you mean Apple. Cause from day one they said they know that folks using their iworks for ipad aren't all going to want to type on the virtual keyboard so they added the ability to use a bluetooth keyboard with the ipad, they created a dock for the device or if you want they have a dock with an attached keyboard.

scroll down to the bottom half of the page for all the pretty pictures

I wonder if the iPad will included new keyboard shortcuts. Because if switching from mouse to keyboard is a PITA, lifting your arm to poke at the screen will be MUCH worse.
  • Reply 72 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I never once said that the 'Pad will fail miserably. Indeed, I'm on record predicting that they will sell like hotcakes.

I have never once mentioned the lack of a camera. The lack of ability to access most web video and the lack of ability to multitask ARE deal killers, for me.

There was another survey just last week that stated the exact opposite of this. I've never said the iPad will fail miserably either as long as there's a niche for it in the world.
  • Reply 73 of 190
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Correct. Geeks are fundamentally small-picture people, which is why you don't want them in charge of large projects (or running companies). Their idea of successful design is to cram in as many "cool" features as time and budget will allow, without giving much consideration to how the features are implemented or how non-geeks will use them. This is because they generally have contempt for people who lack their level of technical expertise. I'm grateful that Apple at least tries to take a different approach, which predictably infuriates the geeks. I'm good with that -- the more incensed the geeks become, the more likely it is that Apple will succeed.

You just described the people on my ignore list.
  • Reply 74 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You just described the people on my ignore list.

Ha-ha. No kidding!
  • Reply 75 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodinho View Post

Even if I'm sad due to the lack of iSight, I won't be able to wait a year or two. Things are moving so fast... By that time I'll probably be at my 3rd iPad...

Me too...I look back when I bought two of the original iPhones (full-price) when they first came out and would do it again because they were instantly superior to any phone even in their first iteration.

Even without 3g, copy & paste, poor camera, no 'Note' syncing, etc., etc., they added to my productivity and efficiency and made my professional life and personal life easier, instantly!

My current 3Gs is way superior...but at the time the first gen. iPhones were way superior too. You can wait and wait for tech but the tech of today offers benefits over the tech of yesterday...and that is just a part of life!

I'll buy the first gen. iPad 3g
  • Reply 76 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

Lack of flash is just killing the iphone & ipod touch

Compared to prior phones, the web expereince is great on an iPhone.

But compared to a netbook, the web experience on the iPad may not satisfy. I think folks expect a crippled experience on their phone, but they expect a full experience on a larger device.
  • Reply 77 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dave-O View Post

I think the iPad is a great device and would love to have one. However the lack of Flash will be a huge issue with people. The survey says that 68% are buying it to surf the web - that would be my primary use as well. Like it or not there are a ton of web sites that use flash to some extent. I have been disappointed in trying to surf on my iPhone as some web sites that rely on Flash are just not usable.

When people get their iPad and realize how many web sites are impacted or unusable there will be some screaming pissed off people or a big line outside the Apple Stores of people wanting their money back.

Check out some screen shots at this site:

http://theflashblog.com/?p=1703

I think that Apple excluding Flash from the iPhone and iPad is going to hurt them in the long run as I don't see flash going away anytime soon - like it or not.

BTW: On your site you pointedly added a screen shot to this unusable, unreadable and inaccessible to the extreme... CR*P!

TheFWA: Favorite Websites Awards

About a thousand good reasons for Apple NOT to have Flash on their mobile devices! And ya know something, I didn't run across even ONE, that would be usable an ANY mobile device, of any make, model, size or OS.

I will be glad when the only way to propagate this stuff is through a compiled app at the web store using Flash CS5, or using sensible code standards. Amazing how many of those sites could actually be cool just as static web pages or with a little Javascript.

PS: If your such an Evangelist and have any weight at all at Adobe, what d'ya say you... just forget it!
  • Reply 78 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, most people who have been buying laptops (including netbooks) don't really need laptops, and there are not that many "mobile professionals" who actually do need laptops. Most of the people who have been buying laptops will be better served with a dedicated desktop system with a larger screen and an iPad for mobile and around-the-house usage. And, by better served, I mean more productive with the desktop and better usability with the iPad in the situations where they will use it instead of a laptop.

Well said...I can see it being used for small presentations, too. Maybe one or two people!
  • Reply 79 of 190
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I couldn't find anything that says the keyboard is BT enabled. As far as I can tell it is just a keyboard attached to the dock. I don't think you will be able to use a BT keyboard with the iPad without third party adapter.

That keyboard is not BT enabled and I don't think anyone suggested it was, but the Apple BT keyboard will work just fine:

Quote:

There are lots of great accessories specifically designed for iPad. The Keyboard Dock, for instance, combines a dock with a full-size keyboard. There’s also a standalone Dock. And because iPad has built-in Bluetooth wireless technology, it works with the Apple Wireless Keyboard, too.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/design/

Apples official iPad page refutes a lot of gripes people come up for this device.
  • Reply 80 of 190
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    I think it's more a case of us having a better handle on what the product is, and the iOS has had three years of improvements under its belt. I recall that Apple only let a very small number of people touch one on announcement, something like five individual reviewers outside of Apple during MacWorld '07. iOS wasn't anywhere near its shipping state then either, some apps were just icon place holders, not so much like iPad. iPad was now handled by a few hundred reviewers, we had a better demonstration of what it's like.