Apple iPad demand exceeds pre-launch iPhone buzz

Comments

• Reply 81 of 190
    I find it utterly strange that people here actually believe that this will replicate, no exceed, iPhone's initial success with lines wrapped around the block when it launches as iPhone's did. I mean - COME ON!
  • Reply 82 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new survey has found that 13 percent of respondents are likely to buy Apple's forthcoming iPad, a number greater than the 9 percent who planned to purchase an iPhone before its launch in 2007.

This can't be true. The geniuses at Microsoft already declared the iPad a turkey with no commercial potential. They are never wrong.
  • Reply 83 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Every single thing about the device is a dealbreaker for someone at these sites, so if you believed them, it is rather surprising that anyone would be interested at all at the iPad, which should run OS X or Windows 7 for eighty hours on a quad-core i7, weigh two ounces, have a GPU that outperforms the best MacPro graphics card, has five USB 3.0 ports, two FireWire 800 ports, have a quad-mode GSM/CDMA/3G/4G chip, LightPeak, at least two gigabytes of main memory, 1 terabyte of storage, DisplayPort Mini port, and shovel snow off your driveway. Oh, and Apple should throw in the wireless keyboard and mouse for free.

All for $99.

yes thank you...if tablets with everything and the kitchen sink slammed into a device with a poor user experience are so great why haven't they been selling for the last 10 years. It's the harmony between hardware and software and the best customer service and a product ecosystem...

can you imagine the previous tablets that people would have to serviced and getting told no "you have to contact the hardware vendor", and "that's a software issue, you have to contact microsoft"....

this is an experience that allows apple to leapfrog all previous and future competitors. I am waiting for that new dell tablet to get that beautiful BSOD and see it broadcast all over the interwebs...
  • Reply 84 of 190
    Why do people always state that you're "locked into itunes"?

Thats completely false. I have over 10000 song on itunes and NONE of them were purchased from itunes. I have all kinds of music videos. I downloaded them straight off of youtube. I have eyetv recording, avi downloads I have converted.

BTW how is jailbreaking any different than installing a different OS? In concept it's the same. So people saying I shouldn't have to do that to add the things I want, well, are just stupid. If you want to run a windows program on your mac you're probably going to have to install windows. If you want to add unaproved third party apps you'll probably have to jailbreak. In fact jailbreaking is easier than installing an OS. Plus, since you can download any program you want onto your mac (apple won't stop you) you can go get the jailbreak app, plug in your iPad, and 1 click jailbreak. People who complain about the fact that they have the choice to do something are the hypocrites of this site. You want the choice to multitask it's there, you want to make phone calls, use it as a wifi disk, have access to the entire file system, you have the choice.
  • Reply 85 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's fun to back a winner.

Well I am glad you are at least having a few years of fun. You must have had a painful three decades.

By the way this is just a survey it means nothing until someone actually puts their money down. If this was pre order news then it would be something but this doesn't even rate as news.
  • Reply 86 of 190
    My wife and I plan on buying a 32g 3g iPad. Hopefully it will work at her field site for web browsing, mail, facebook, etc.

And when it is home, I plan on using it as a book reader, television 'companion' device, recipe display device in the kitchen, vinatage motorcycle manual reader in the shop, etc.

I had a windows notebook (it died - go fig), have been debating the netbook thing (never completely convinced myself they were worth the limitations), and have a Fujitsu HPC (Pre-pocket PC windows CE device) tablet (circa 2001) with battery issues.

All of which are going to be retired in place of an iPad.

I will buy a new notebook, if I go back to consulting. iPad won't do everything I need in that Arena. And the reason that I am willing to put up with the iPad limitations over the Netbook limitations? Because even things that Netbooks DO, they don't do them well.
  • Reply 87 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it's more a case of us having a better handle on what the product is, and the iOS has had three years of improvements under its belt. I recall that Apple only let a very small number of people touch one on announcement, something like five individual reviewers outside of Apple during MacWorld '07. iOS wasn't anywhere near its shipping state then either, some apps were just icon place holders, not so much like iPad. iPad was now handled by a few hundred reviewers, we had a better demonstration of what it's like.

This is still just a survey it really isn't anything major until the iPad goes on sale. I don't doubt most of this except this line.

"The survey also found that lack of a camera, support for Adobe Flash, or multitasking have not had a significant impact on buyer interest"

When something is new you might not miss certain features but on a multi function Tablet the lack of multitasking I believe is a real issue and will be for many users. Apple users rag on Verizon because you can't talk and surf the web at the same time but then find it acceptable their Tablet can't multitask? Sorry that just doesn't add up.
  • Reply 88 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well I am glad you are at least having a few years of fun. You must have had a painful three decades.

By the way this is just a survey it means nothing until someone actually puts their money down. If this was pre order news then it would be something but this doesn't even rate as news.

An notice how conveniently it's not mentioned where the survey was taken.
  • Reply 89 of 190
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Me too...I look back when I bought two of the original iPhones (full-price) when they first came out and would do it again because they were instantly superior to any phone even in their first iteration.

Even without 3g, copy & paste, poor camera, no 'Note' syncing, etc., etc., they added to my productivity and efficiency and made my professional life and personal life easier, instantly!

My current 3Gs is way superior...but at the time the first gen. iPhones were way superior too. You can wait and wait for tech but the tech of today offers benefits over the tech of yesterday...and that is just a part of life!

I'll buy the first gen. iPad 3g

I'm dithering...my first iphone was the 3g which allowed me to skip the 3GS...that said I'm leaning toward the 1st gen iPad 3G. I figure either you get it on day 1 to enjoy as long as possible or skip it until 2nd gen.
  • Reply 90 of 190
    Well I wasn't surveyed, but I plan to buy one online the first day I'm able.
  • Reply 91 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

third party?

don't you mean Apple. Cause from day one they said they know that folks using their iworks for ipad aren't all going to want to type on the virtual keyboard so they added the ability to use a bluetooth keyboard with the ipad, they created a dock for the device or if you want they have a dock with an attached keyboard.

scroll down to the bottom half of the page for all the pretty pictures

Right, but the keyboard and stand Apple is going to offer isn't incorporated into the iPad Case for portability.

I suspect a third party someone will combine the two into one.
  • Reply 92 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thismarty View Post

"Potatoe"?

I think there's a cream you can get for that.

Dude, of all the things to rag on TEKSTUpiD, spelling isn't one of them. Potatoe is a valid spelling, as is Potato.

Or he could just be a Dan Quayle Fan.
  • Reply 93 of 190
    I think the most interesting bit of info coming out of this survey is the "U" graph depicting the percent interest in each model. We definitely see a "I want it all" or "I want the bare minimum" demand going on here. But I'm disappointed that this survey didn't ask/provide more insightful data, like whether the prospective customer is a Mac user, an iPhone/iPod touch user, both, or neither. That would have given a real tangible look at iPad interest both inside and outside the Apple community.
  • Reply 94 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

An notice how conveniently it's not mentioned where the survey was taken.

In Steve Jobs living room....
  • Reply 95 of 190
    Quote:

Was there ever any doubt that demand would be high?

demand != sales
  • Reply 96 of 190
    Quote:

My friends, the Great Experiment... the iPad, ready for trial runs.

This is the future.

The potential of the iPad platform is insane. It was apparent from the first minute it was demo'd by Jobs.

Right after, Future Shock hit everyone like runaway train.

I'm sure others have felt the same thing. This feels like the first step toward OS 11. They are making changes that should have been made years ago if not for backwards compatibility. No manual filesystem management feels like a dream. Sure this is not a notebook replacement now... but think in a few years as this evolves...
  • Reply 97 of 190
    Quote:

This is still just a survey it really isn't anything major until the iPad goes on sale. I don't doubt most of this except this line.

"The survey also found that lack of a camera, support for Adobe Flash, or multitasking have not had a significant impact on buyer interest"

When something is new you might not miss certain features but on a multi function Tablet the lack of multitasking I believe is a real issue and will be for many users. Apple users rag on Verizon because you can't talk and surf the web at the same time but then find it acceptable their Tablet can't multitask? Sorry that just doesn't add up.

Just because they can't multitask doesn't mean the app can't suspend and resume. There is also the notification server that handles a large number cases that you would want a background process. That is all most people want anyway. I'm sure at least limited multitasking is coming eventually through Grand Central Dispatch. Apple wants to do this the right way. We just need to give them the time to do it. I think they should be praised for not doing a naive multi-tasking implementation that reduces reliability and sucks battery life like everyone else is doing. Just because traditional multi-tasking works alright for a desktop device doesn't make it right for a mobile device.
  • Reply 98 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

demand != sales

No, but it is the precursor to sales.
  • Reply 99 of 190
    Quote:

you clearly do not realize what multitasking is. The device is not even out yet, but you clearly know of its "lack" of multitasking. pphffft. Guaranteed all the native apps can multitask....maybe not pandora just yet (since that is all everyone chimes in as the biggest fail of all time..oh no, I CANT GET STREAMING INTERNET RADIO..ZOMG) the iphone OS allows MULTITASKING....and you can multitask EVERYTHING IF jailbroken.

now why dont you just turn around and take the misrepresented information somewhere else that does not know the buzz words you like to haphazardly throw around...

And yes simultaneous voice/data is true multitasking, and a feature that I personally and many others do not know how we survived without before.

What are you going to listen to pandora while on a phone call? that could not be annoying at all
  • Reply 100 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Just because they can't multitask doesn't mean the app can't suspend and resume. There is also the notification server that handles a large number cases that you would want a background process. That is all most people want anyway. I'm sure at least limited multitasking is coming eventually through Grand Central Dispatch. Apple wants to do this the right way. We just need to give them the time to do it. I think they should be praised for not doing a naive multi-tasking implementation that reduces reliability and sucks battery life like everyone else is doing. Just because traditional multi-tasking works alright for a desktop device doesn't make it right for a mobile device.

This all depends on what you consider a mobile device. Many would called a MBP a mobile device, or any notebook for that matter. I could understand the lack of multitasking on a true mobile device like the iPhone or any smartphone for that matter but not on the iPad.

There are many here that believe Slate computing is going to take over notebook, which honestly I think is a joke, but if they truly believe that then I'm not sure how they can get behind a device that can't even multitask.

The fact is the hardware can handle multitasking its the limitations of the software that prevents it. If battery life was an issue for some users then they could turn off multitasking much the same way you turn off Wifi to save battery life on an iPod Touch.

This is a software issue not hardware.