Apple iPad demand exceeds pre-launch iPhone buzz

Comments

• Reply 121 of 190
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Most surprising of all - my parents actually asked me about it and are thinking about buying it, and just like jobs suggested they want to keep it in the house. They said they will use it in the kitchen for recepies and in the living room to get football scores and stats during games. Surprised me after I though that sharing a device will never work in today's world.
  • Reply 122 of 190
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Those predicting the iPads success should remember that iBooks is a US exclusive service. Outside the US, iPad is just a crippled web browser and a device for watching video on with giant black bars above and below.

I really can't see it being a hit outside the US.
  • Reply 123 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Those predicting the iPads success should remember that iBooks is a US exclusive service. Outside the US, iPad is just a crippled web browser and a device for watching video on with giant black bars above and below.

Do you think Apple hasn't thought of this and planned for it? Apple has the whole game figured out for the next few years.

iBooks will proliferate. Another iTunes phenomenon.
  • Reply 124 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

If I am not mistaken, the iPod did not sell more than a million during its first year.

OK forget one year. So, how many million worldwide in three years would you consider a success? Set your terms for success.

Do you consider Kindle a success? How many did it sell in the US or worldwide so far? Do you consider the Zune a success?

I am not sure iTV sold more than a million the first year. But, however many it sold, what is sure about Apple is that it is not afraid to "set aside" or place in the backburner the products that did not catch the market. They did that with the Cube.

All I've ever said is that's it's not another iPhone. PERIOD.

and yes I consider Kindle a success especiallly when a product's name is cemented in everyday vernacular.

iPad? we shall see.
  • Reply 125 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

What percentage will be disappointed when they find out that their shiny new iDevice will not display their favorite websites?

I think the more pertinent issue is what the frustrated will do with those frustrations. Fight, flight, or adjust. Let's see whether site loyalty prevails in the fickle world of internet surfing with the plethora of similar sites. Due to recent historical precedence, I'm confident that Apple has performed the requisite due diligence, but it will be a good marketing lesson for the marketing naive (not that I'm an optimist regarding their willingness to intellectually mature).
  • Reply 126 of 190
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Pandora is okay but hardly the Second Coming. If someone really has to listen to music while they write (which to be honest explains a lot of the discombobulated nonsense that some people write here), then they already have their entire iTunes library at their disposal.

I quit collecting music when I discovered Radio Paradise. Their playlist beats anything I could do myself regardless of cost. I would really like to listen to their app while doing other tasks, but no multitasking. Generally, multitasking isn't that big of a deal for me since the apps start up quickly when switching from one to the other, but listening to music other than iTunes is the exception. Radio Paradise is in the desktop version of iTunes in the radio section. if it were in the mobile version I would have no complaint.
  • Reply 127 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yeah, that's what I figured. When I want to listen to music, I listen to my own music. But whatever, I was just wondering since every thread or mention about multi-tasking immediately jumps to not being able to use Pandora with some other program.

It's just a variation on the whack-a-mole game anyway. There will always be something else it can't do that will be called a total deal killer.
  • Reply 128 of 190
    The success of iPad or similar devices does not depend on Apple alone. Just like the iPhone, its success will depend more on the developers worldwide who will use their imagination to create products -- books, applications, multimedia, etc. 00 that will be useful to people.

I am more familiar with its potential use in education, biomedicine and biotechnology, as well as how it can be more helpful to people with poor eyesight (and that includes almost all people who are growing older, a segment of the population that is becoming more significant).

Imagine textbooks that come alive with 3-D images, or time-dependent changes, and in living color. Imagine textbooks that can be made up to date to the present (most bioscience books at the moment may be "obsolete" by the time they get published). Imagine showing time-lapse changes during an experiment, or to show changes in the environment as a result of climate change, or sun spots eruptions.

In the biomedical field, right now, the more advanced hospitals have computers in "every room" to allow automated collection of patient data or employees. How much more efficient if the caregiver, nurse, physician or therapist has his/her own handheld device or can access a central database to access information or share that information with the patient or family members.

Apple may have initially targeted the average consumer as the target for the iPad. But, I can think of multitudes of application or use of mobile devices like the iPad, in every field, and every age group I have encountered.
  • Reply 129 of 190
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Well, if you read fanboy sites like AppleInsider and MacRumors, everyone is completely disappointed about every millimeter of the device which is way overpriced (ignoring the economics of consumer electronics manufacturing) and way underfeatured (ignoring the laws of physics).

Every single thing about the device is a dealbreaker for someone at these sites, so if you believed them, it is rather surprising that anyone would be interested at all at the iPad, which should run OS X or Windows 7 for eighty hours on a quad-core i7, weigh two ounces, have a GPU that outperforms the best MacPro graphics card, has five USB 3.0 ports, two FireWire 800 ports, have a quad-mode GSM/CDMA/3G/4G chip, LightPeak, at least two gigabytes of main memory, 1 terabyte of storage, DisplayPort Mini port, and shovel snow off your driveway. Oh, and Apple should throw in the wireless keyboard and mouse for free.

All for $99.

No HDMI = No sale. Apple sux! /sarcasm
  • Reply 130 of 190
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dave-O View Post

I think the iPad is a great device and would love to have one. However the lack of Flash will be a huge issue with people. The survey says that 68% are buying it to surf the web - that would be my primary use as well. Like it or not there are a ton of web sites that use flash to some extent. I have been disappointed in trying to surf on my iPhone as some web sites that rely on Flash are just not usable.

When people get their iPad and realize how many web sites are impacted or unusable there will be some screaming pissed off people or a big line outside the Apple Stores of people wanting their money back.

Check out some screen shots at this site:

http://theflashblog.com/?p=1703

I think that Apple excluding Flash from the iPhone and iPad is going to hurt them in the long run as I don't see flash going away anytime soon - like it or not.

Woohoo!! Plenty of refurb units available for me at the Apple Store!
  • Reply 131 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I have been in technology most likely longer then you have been alive. Its stupid comments like the one above that made everything else you said totally useless. Go back to spanking your monkey

Somehow I doubt it. Your ideas have not impressed upon me that you have any real experience as they tend to be short sited, overtly biased and misinformed.
  • Reply 132 of 190
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Somehow I doubt it. Your ideas have not impressed upon me that you have any real experience as they tend to be short sited, overtly biased and misinformed.

he is very short sited, and should be banned from this sight.
  • Reply 133 of 190
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Do you think Apple hasn't thought of this and planned for it? Apple has the whole game figured out for the next few years.

iBooks will proliferate. Another iTunes phenomenon.

I think kotatsu actually has a point (sort of), Quadra...

Of course I don't agree with him when he sais the iPad will flop outside of the US: just being "a large iPod Touch" will be enough to fly it off the shelves... but it's not like Apple is great at being global... no wonder why its market share is less than half internationally.

Here in Brazil, although we have had an App Store since the launch of the iPhone 3G, we still don't have an iTunes (Music) Store. Should be a simple matter, shouldn't it? How long has it been since it launched in the US? Well, I guess it isn't so simple.

If the broadcast/publisher/mobileoperator/musiclabel industries are conservative and slow-moving in the US, they are ten times worse as you go east or south. So, ok, iPods and iPhones are a big thing, and highly regarded around here, but I guess it's mostly because of the marketing spill factor from it's north-american success. It wouldn't have happened here just by itself, not without iTunes Store, lower prices, lots of Apple Stores, excellent support (all things we still don't have here, and that are fundamental to Apple's ecosystem).
  • Reply 134 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Yet just last week or the week before when it was announced in another survey that consumers had expressed lack of interest or none at all since it's unveiling, you all jumped all over where that survey was taken.

Just sayin'...

really? I've been out of town and missed some things here.

It's a new product so I would agree we shouldn't be surprised at all by an initial "lack of interest". Can't expect much from an unreleased product.
  • Reply 135 of 190
    Quote:

If you looks at other uses for the device the usability opens up dramatically.

Quote:

? http://www.electronista.com/articles...ipad.requests/
  • Reply 136 of 190
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Not in my mind.

I'm glad I decided to go with 32g WiFi only as it seems demand will be lower for that model overall.

Agreed, the 32G WiFi only is the model to get out of the gate.
  • Reply 137 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

he says stuff like that all the time. The other day he said he "could buy over 10x" or something like that and wanted to compare financial records to prove it. Like I'm going to show anyone on the internet my records. Would calling him a stupid asstard be a violation of AI's rules? it would? Okay then, I won't call him any names.
  • Reply 138 of 190
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    The iPad has significant advantages. i can have all my text books, journals, in a 1.5 lbs package that is instantly turned on. And they weigh lot in my line of work. Plus do instant searches and have multimedia with color photos. Not to mention access patient files, real time data including telemetry, EKG, etc.

There are a multitude of other apps that will be developed and very useful in networks. Not to mention accessing the web.

I do not care for Flash, but the ability to read PDF files would help since a lot papers, manuals, journals are in PDF. Hopefully there will be a conversion app like Kindle. A camera would help when sending copies of EKGs, etc... but the iPhone is good for that plus I do not need another data plan.
  • Reply 139 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

As a companion to a good desktop system, the iPad has a lot of potential. You do heavy lifting with the desktop, use an iPhone or Touch when on the go and settle back on the couch with a good book via the iPad.

Because this unit will be added to other products like the iPhone and a regular full-function Mac, it doesn't need to do it all. Jobs claims that this device will be better suited to some activities and that, really, will determine if it succeeds. The preception has to be that an iPad makes sense in situations where other current products do not.

Well said. In addition to the iPad on 'the couch' I'm sure like most of us I get a ton of Newsletter emails, etc., pertinent to my industry and rarely does it seem like I have enough time to read them...I'm looking fwd to sitting at a nice table in my favorite restaurant with a beer and reading all this material that right now just goes directly from my email inbox to an email folder, 'Newsletters.'

Much as I love my iMac...I already spend too much time working on it and don't enjoy reading 'extra' stuff. I've tried doing it with my iPhone, (too small) and my MacBook (too little battery life: <3hrs) and the macbook has become too heavy to lug around!

Needless to say, looking fwd to the iPad! Like you!
  • Reply 140 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I have been in technology most likely longer then you have been alive.

Which could actually work against you when trying to understand Apple and its market.