Microsoft Pink-Zune details emerge alongside Windows Phone 7

Comments

• Reply 61 of 120
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And yet it's being argued that Apple's installed base and unit sales are on par for a 3 year old product or that because it's Apple we can simply look the other way because it favour's Apple. Or that the people with battery or the wide variety of other issues that have either called Apple or walked into a store and were given new phones without question are somehow being ignored in this number. The number of people who have bought a new device every year and are collecting the previous model or simply had their device get smashed. The fact is, installed base ≠ unit sales. We should care about the facts all the time, not just when they support our view points.

that's nitpicking. only a few percent would be dead, broken, or lost. and with the cushion of more than an additional month of sales since the 75 mil number was announced, total units still in use could reasonably be 75 mil. sometime sooner than later this year it definitely will be. it's close enough that it's not a "biased" statement. to say that is way overreaching with the nitpicking.

the point underlying that several here make is the older iPhones are still very, very useful without phone functions - which contract is the big cost of ownership. for that reason IMHO very few are likely sitting in a drawer never used again. i don't know anyone who has thrown theirs into the trash. check out the price for a used 2G on eBay - it is still respectable. and touches too. that is very new and different - what's an old Blackberry et al. good for without a phone contract? they go to a landfill.

the de facto phase out point of iPhone older models is unknown as of yet. the likely first trigger will be when it is necessary to replace the battery at a cost of $50 or whatever. at some point - maybe this year even - their OS will no longer be update-able (like Snow Leopard does not work on PPC Macs). but it will always be a very nice universal remote and excellent iPod. so i'll use my 2G as long as it lasts, even after an iPad takes over browsing and games at home.
  • Reply 62 of 120
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

that's nitpicking. only a few percent would be dead, broken, or lost. and with the cushion of more than an additional month of sales since the 75 mil number was announced, total units still in use could reasonably be 75 mil. sometime sooner than later this year it definitely will be. it's close enough that it's not a "biased" statement. to say that is way overreaching with the nitpicking.

the point underlying that several here make is the older iPhones are still very, very useful without phone functions - which contract is the big cost of ownership. for that reason IMHO very few are likely sitting in a drawer never used again. i don't know anyone who has thrown theirs into the trash. check out the price for a used 2G on eBay - it is still respectable. and touches too. that is very new and different - what's an old Blackberry et al. good for without a phone contract? they go to a landfill.

the de facto phase out point of iPhone older models is unknown as of yet. the likely first trigger will be when it is necessary to replace the battery at a cost of $50 or whatever. at some point - maybe this year even - their OS will no longer be update-able (like Snow Leopard does not work on PPC Macs). but it will always be a very nice universal remote and excellent iPod. so i'll use my 2G as long as it lasts, even after an iPad takes over browsing and games at home.

You keep saying it's unknown yet you still want to use installed base as the word choice instead of my suggestion of qualifying it to indicate the potential installed base not a hardened fact, or to change the term to unit sales and indicate the timeframe, which is also fact.

You can't have it both ways and still be taken seriously since, as you stated, it's "unknown as of yet."
  • Reply 63 of 120
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Lotus Notes and GroupWise. Exchange Sucks. It is unstable, a resource hog, hard to maintain, and hard to secure.

Domino might be a better example of a competitor to Exchange as that is their backend server tool, which can be connected to by multiple client types, Lotus Notes is their desktop client (which is a masive resource hog itself)
  • Reply 64 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Now look at this list and exclude the products that Microsoft didn't either buy, borrow, or steal from somebody else.

As people here liked to tell me, it doesn't matter if they have brought it, as it is now theirs. As for borrowing, they must have an agreement or licence to use it, and for stealing, can you provide some proof here.
  • Reply 65 of 120
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

if you can name a single product that even adequately competes with exchange then you may have a point. Lock is not the reason for exchange penetration. Nothing else out there, proprietary or otherwise comes within a country mile. Don't even bother bringing up iCal.

Well, that's one!

I found this particularly rich and amusing:

"Design & User Experience

..........Microsoft Expression

..........Microsoft Silverlight'

Let's face it Microsoft is profitable. They make mostly crap, but they do have some desirable products. But let's not get all excited about a few good ideas. Microsoft is moribund -- maybe not a Zombie company, but definitely waning.

Look at the tends. Microsoft's Net Profit and Net Profit per Sales are trending down and have been for quite a while. Apple's Net Profit and Net Profit per Sales are trending sharply up (and have been over that same time period.)

No, Apple can't buy MS (but why would they want to!?)

Anyway, I know where I want my money invested.
  • Reply 66 of 120
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

You keep saying it's unknown yet you still want to use installed base as the word choice instead of my suggestion of qualifying it to indicate the potential installed base not a hardened fact, or to change the term to unit sales and indicate the timeframe, which is also fact.

You can't have it both ways and still be taken seriously since, as you stated, it's "unknown as of yet."

do you know what "nitpicking" means? it doesn't mean you're flat out wrong. it means you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
  • Reply 67 of 120
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

do you know what "nitpicking" means? it doesn't mean you're flat out wrong. it means you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

I made a factual comment and it would have been left at that, but then i was told I was wrong because we're talking about Apple. So who saying that we can't validate any info of an Apple product breaking means that we must assume all are functional and in use. I'm calling that out as being irrational.

If we go back to the only term, should all specific terms be used in any way we wish so long as they suit our needs? Can I start saying that iPod installed base is 150M because it's nitpicking to do otherwise? How about if I say there is an installed base of 150M Sony Walkmans? This is Eco101 stuff and for a site that has lot of focus on financials, not such a two paragraph blog it's an important distinction. This isn't the NYT or WSJ, but it's also not Giz or MR, either.
  • Reply 68 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Please try to avoid disparaging people in this forum, especially if you are using my quote. Your statement close to libel.

thanks

FT

Libel?

Don't make me laugh.

What turnip truck did you just fall off of?
  • Reply 69 of 120
    Quote:

Sadly solipsism, your whole argument is silly, nitpicking, and apologist (which seems uncharacteristic of you.) Show some discretion (as in the better part of valor.)
  • Reply 70 of 120
    sprockketssprockkets Posts: 796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

You obviously do not know much about Microsoft product. Take a look below or go to microsoft.com and click on all products to read up on them.

Microsoft writes some of the best business software in the world. Ever heard of Exchange and Active Directory? These two pieces of software alone are the best of their kind and run in virtually every corporation in the world. It is not easy to manage all of this and be profitable in this economy. Microsoft is a respectable, profitable american company and the whole world should be grateful for it's existence.

Most Popular

..........Bing

..........Bing cashback

..........Internet Explorer

..........Microsoft Advertising

..........Microsoft Security Essentials

..........Office

..........Windows

..........Windows Live

Business Software

..........Bing Maps

..........Microsoft Amalga

..........Microsoft Dynamics Products

..........Microsoft Forefront

..........Microsoft Office Live

..........Microsoft Online Services

..........Windows Essential Business Server

..........Windows Small Business Server

Design & User Experience

..........Microsoft Expression

..........Microsoft Silverlight

Developer Tools

...........NET Framework

..........ASP.NET

..........MSDN Subscriptions

..........Robotics Developer Studio

..........Visual Basic

..........Visual C

..........Visual C#

..........Visual Studio

..........XNA

Entertainment

..........DirectX

..........Microsoft Mediaroom

..........MSN

..........MSN Games

..........MSNBC

..........PC Gaming

..........Windows Media Center

..........Xbox Home

..........Xbox Live

..........Zune

Hardware

..........All PC Hardware

..........Digital Communications

..........Microsoft Surface

..........Mouse & Keyboard Products

..........PC Gaming Hardware

..........Xbox Gaming

Home & Educational Software

..........AutoCollage

..........Healthvault

..........Money

..........MSN Direct

..........MSN Internet Access

..........Office Home & Student

..........Songsmith

..........Streets & Trips

..........Windows Home Server

..........Windows Live OneCare

..........Works

..........WorldWide Telescope

Macintosh

..........All Macintosh Products

..........Mac Expression

..........Mac Mouse & Keyboard Products

..........Mac Office

Mobile Devices & Software

..........Microsoft My Phone

..........Microsoft Tag

..........Mobile Software Catalog

..........Ultra-Mobile PC

..........Windows Phone

..........Windows Mobile Devices

Servers

..........All Server Products

..........BizTalk Server

..........Exchange Server

..........Server Trials

..........SharePoint Server

..........SQL Server

..........TechNet Subscriptions

..........Windows Server

Wow and only two of the items in the list make money for Microsoft don't you look stupid now

oh yes I am grateful for Microsoft mucking up the web with IE and trying to take over audio and video with WM and for making the worst OS in history 95-ME and for it trying to kill quicktime, netscape, Java, crap did I miss any I'm sure I did
  • Reply 71 of 120
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Libel?

Don't make me laugh.

What turnip truck did you just fall off of?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

No one can extricate MS from its mess except MS and for that you need leadership, not a monkey bouncing on stage like Tom Cruise. I heard someplace that the boy is a coke-head

Quote:

Please try to avoid disparaging people in this forum, especially if you are using my quote. Your statement close to libel.

thanks

FT

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Libel, LOL.

Please.

Calling someone a ?coke head,? implying that one is a user of cocaine without any proof that one is can be considered libel.

coke·head *(kkhd)

n. Slang

A heavy user of cocaine.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cokehead

Definition of libel

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/libel

li·bel   [lahy-buhl] Show IPA noun, verb,-beled, -bel·ing or (especially British) -belled, -bel·ling.

?noun

Law.

\ta. defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.

\tb. the act or crime of publishing it.

\tc. a formal written declaration or statement, as one containing the allegations of a plaintiff \tor the grounds of a charge.

2.anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.

Legal Elements for Libel:

?1. Plaintiff must prove that the defendant made a false and defamatory statement concerning the plaintiff.

2. Plaintiff must prove that the defendant made an unprivileged publication to a third party.

3.Plaintiff must prove that the publisher acted at least negligently in publishing the communication.

4.In some cases, the plaintiff must prove special damages.?

\t?The Restatement defines a communication as defamatory "if it tends so to harm the reputation of another as to lower him in the estimation of the community or to deter third persons from associating with him." Examples of defamatory statements are virtually limitless and may include any of the following:

\t\t1. A communication that imputes a serious crime involving moral turpitude or a felony

\t\t2. A communication that exposes a plaintiff to hatred

\t\t3. A communication that reflects negatively on the plaintiff's character, morality, or integrity

\t\t4. A communication that impairs the plaintiff's financial well-being

\t 5. A communication that suggests that the plaintiff suffers from a physical or mental defect that would cause others to refrain from associating with the plaintiff?

http://injury.findlaw.com/defamation...d-slander.html

One thing that I can never fathom is why it is necessary to disparage or put down a person online to make a point. Is it because the person making the remark is making up for their own feelings of inadequacies???
  • Reply 72 of 120
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Cnet's got an interview with some bald douche in glasses showing off windows 7 phone, and he acts as if he's got God's phone in his hand. When asked to show off some of the apps, he shows off a g-sensor bubble level app, and then the xbox section, where you can invite people to play a game of your choice (in other words, ask them to buy the game to play with you.)

When asked if current apps will run, he boldly says that everyone will need to reprogram their apps to work on the new platform. I think he'll be in for a surprise. I mean, I've heard jack shit about the zune hd.

I have a feeling I'll be going to Android in about a year or so.
  • Reply 73 of 120
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

As usual, Microsoft reacts instead of thinks. Although whoever thought it was a good idea to create two separate mobile phone divisions in a single company is an idiot.

The goal should be to simplify. MS has never really understood this concept.
  • Reply 74 of 120
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Some of Steve Ballmers performances, freely available on YouTube show him look like a coke head who accidently snorted half a g of uncut cocaine up each nostril reducing him to a hyped up shambling, babbling train wreck in fast forward.

Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Quote:

Calling someone a ?coke head,? implying that one is a user of cocaine without any proof that one is can be considered libel.

coke·head *(kkhd)

n. Slang

A heavy user of cocaine.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cokehead

Definition of libel

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/libel

li·bel   [lahy-buhl] Show IPA noun, verb,-beled, -bel·ing or (especially British) -belled, -bel·ling.

?noun

Law.

\ta. defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.

\tb. the act or crime of publishing it.

\tc. a formal written declaration or statement, as one containing the allegations of a plaintiff \tor the grounds of a charge.

2.anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.

Legal Elements for Libel:

?1. Plaintiff must prove that the defendant made a false and defamatory statement concerning the plaintiff.

2. Plaintiff must prove that the defendant made an unprivileged publication to a third party.

3.Plaintiff must prove that the publisher acted at least negligently in publishing the communication.

4.In some cases, the plaintiff must prove special damages.?

\t?The Restatement defines a communication as defamatory "if it tends so to harm the reputation of another as to lower him in the estimation of the community or to deter third persons from associating with him." Examples of defamatory statements are virtually limitless and may include any of the following:

\t\t1. A communication that imputes a serious crime involving moral turpitude or a felony

\t\t2. A communication that exposes a plaintiff to hatred

\t\t3. A communication that reflects negatively on the plaintiff's character, morality, or integrity

\t\t4. A communication that impairs the plaintiff's financial well-being

\t 5. A communication that suggests that the plaintiff suffers from a physical or mental defect that would cause others to refrain from associating with the plaintiff?

http://injury.findlaw.com/defamation...d-slander.html

One thing that I can never fathom is why it is necessary to disparage or put down a person online to make a point. Is it because the person making the remark is making up for their own feelings of inadequacies???

• Reply 75 of 120
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Cnet's got an interview with some bald douche in glasses showing off windows 7 phone, and he acts as if he's got God's phone in his hand. When asked to show off some of the apps, he shows off a g-sensor bubble level app, and then the xbox section, where you can invite people to play a game of your choice (in other words, ask them to buy the game to play with you.)

When asked if current apps will run, he boldly says that everyone will need to reprogram their apps to work on the new platform. I think he'll be in for a surprise. I mean, I've heard jack shit about the zune hd.

I have a feeling I'll be going to Android in about a year or so.

U mad? MS needed a clean break, MIX10 is around the corner and if they drop their sdk then, devs won't have any excuse to not port their software over.

Anyways, Pink/Turtle are feature phones, not smartphones even though their capabilites are quite similar (media, web surf, email, some gps, games, some apps) and those lines are becoming blurred like they are in Japan. Think the Env 2 and all those kinds of phones, which don't require a data plan or a much cheaper plan.

This is a good thing for MS to build up the Zune brand and get it into the hands of more users. Most of all this will be cheap, probably around 49-99 on a contract, while the WP7S will have much more hardware power and capabilites with a higher pricetag to boot.
  • Reply 76 of 120
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Nokia doesn't have two rival software platforms in their own company though. They only make hardware for Symbian so there is no internal tension there. Nothing is wrong with making separate software for different classes of phones. A feature phone vs a smart phone. The problem is Microsoft is creating two software platforms that directly compete with each other in their own company. That would be like Microsoft creating two desktop operating systems that were not compatible with each other (with no intention of one replacing the other) and telling them to compete with each other. It's lunacy.

Aren't Symbian and MeeGo both smartphone OSes? Seems like rival platforms to me.
  • Reply 77 of 120
    There's a lot of misinformation in this article. First off most if not all of the data was restored from the outage.

http://gizmodo.com/5382208/most-if-n...data-recovered

2nd WP7 does not run WinCe 7 since it doesn't exist, it runs the latest release which is WinCE 6 the same as the ZuneHD. I'm almost 100% positive that WP7 apps will run on the ZuneHD. The phone uses the Zune software to sync you'll get the apps, music from the same store, they run the same OS underneath and have the same interface and browser and both use XNA for games. They're gonna work together.

Also FYI, Windows 7 has sold 90 million copies in 4 months. That's more than all the iPhones/iPod touches combined (yes I know different markets). That's more than all the Macs on the market today (which is around 60 million). So you can say Windows sucks but 90 million have chosen to use Windows 7 over OS X. They had a choice and chose not to get a Mac.

Oh and Mac usage share has dropped month over month -except for one month-since Windows 7 came out and businesses haven't even started to buy Windows 7, yet this is all due to customer demand. Next month OS X will be back under 5% and MS is predicing by the end of this year there will 300 million copies of Windows 7 sold. Each time they will be choosing Windows 7 over OS X.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-mar...e.aspx?qprid=9

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-mar....aspx?qprid=11

Also....are you ready to shit your pants!?!?!? You're gonna love this one cause this is the thing that you Apple lovers love to bring up all the time! According to Bloomberg due to everyone's love of Windows 7, Microsoft has a HIGHER customer satisfaction rating than Apple! Oddly enough I didn't see this reported on AI, wonder why? mind=blown?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aajIjMcEp.E4

Finally this Pink phone isn't supposed to be a smart phone, it's a "feature" phone or dummy phone. Not everyone wants a smartphone, this product is more for those. I wouldn't be surprised if these were like those free phones that Verizon gives you if you sign up for a contract.

PS I'll probably be buying a mac when the new MBPs come out. except I'll use it mainly for Windows 7

Sent from my iPhone
  • Reply 78 of 120
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielsmi View Post

Also FYI, Windows 7 has sold 90 million copies in 4 months. That's more than all the iPhones/iPod touches combined (yes I know different markets). That's more than all the Macs on the market today (which is around 60 million). So you can say Windows sucks but 90 million have chosen to use Windows 7 over OS X. They had a choice and chose not to get a Mac.

Oh and Mac usage share has dropped month over month -except for one month-since Windows 7 came out and businesses haven't even started to buy Windows 7, yet this is all due to customer demand. Next month OS X will be back under 5% and MS is predicing by the end of this year there will 300 million copies of Windows 7 sold. Each time they will be choosing Windows 7 over OS X.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-mar...e.aspx?qprid=9

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-mar....aspx?qprid=11

Sure with Windows 7 being bundled with the majority of low cost PCs.

In other news, the Toyota Yaris outsells the Mercedes S-Class.
  • Reply 79 of 120
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Hey, how do you think the satisfaction will be after Microsoft releases the patch that will kill most of the pirated versions of 7 next Tuesday?

I'm surprised the survey equipment didn't explode, purely as a response to the relief being rid of Vista

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielsmi View Post

There's a lot of misinformation in this article. First off most if not all of the data was restored from the outage...

...blah, blah, blah...

...PS I'll probably be buying a mac when the new MBPs come out. except I'll use it mainly for Windows 7

Sent from my iPhone

• Reply 80 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Aren't Symbian and MeeGo both smartphone OSes? Seems like rival platforms to me.

Symbian doesn't belong to Nokia, it is owned by the Symbian Foundation, and MeeGo is hosted by the Linux Foundtion (I don't know who really owns it)