Microsoft Pink-Zune details emerge alongside Windows Phone 7

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 120
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Well I would advise you to be wary of Tuesday's update as one of the areas it covers is the WAT, it may not be voluntary this time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielsmi View Post

You can see from the related videos that that interview was for the PBS documentary.

Please stop. The patch that was supposed to stop all the exploits that pirates were using came out 2/23/2010 it's called Windows Activation Technology. Here's what it is on my own PC since I haven't installed it since as I mention it isn't installed by default, even though it's listed as an "important" update it's unchecked by default and only checked updates are installed. So you have to manually install it

Here the KB article if you think I photoshoped the picture. What you link to was about the upcoming patch tuesday which as is protocol doesn't give out much info.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971033

As long as you guys keep spewing BS, I'll keep correcting it.

• Reply 102 of 120
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

As long as you guys keep spewing BS, I'll keep correcting it.

And yet I have no interest in seeking out a Windows site and being vigilant for anti-Mac propaganda. In fact, I don't know of many Mac users who would find that anything but dreary.

Yet we seem to have more than our fair share of posters who are driven absolutely mad by the idea that those Mac people are over in their corner of the web saying mean things about MS.

I thought the "Mac fan boys" were supposed to be the ones that are all twitchy that way?
  • Reply 103 of 120
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And yet I have no interest in seeking out a Windows site and being vigilant for anti-Mac propaganda. In fact, I don't know of many Mac users who would find that anything but dreary.

Yet we seem to have more than our fair share of posters who are driven absolutely mad by the idea that those Mac people are over in their corner of the web saying mean things about MS.

I thought the "Mac fan boys" were supposed to be the ones that are all twitchy that way?

Have you ever thought, just maybe, like many people, they own both a Windows machine and a Mac?
  • Reply 104 of 120
    He might be running one of the 'trick windows it's on an OEM' cracks, I see no reason not to install the WAT if your Windows is legit.

Those cracks are where a lot of the worlds spam, phishing attacks etc come from, rootkit installed Trojans are often included with the cracks.

Hey can you still log in to 7 as system using the 'at' command?

Quote:

• Reply 105 of 120
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Have you ever thought, just maybe, like many people, they own both a Windows machine and a Mac?

And yet I don't seem any dual platform people on Windows sites reminding everyone how wrong they are about Macs and fulminating against the FUD and stridently insisting on the awesomeness of Macs. In fact, if anyone were to do that, they'd be shouted down as "Fan Boys" and "Maclots" and "Sheeple."

It's pretty much a one way street. For some reason there are Windows users that get very exercised by the idea that there are people saying bad things about the platform and going un-scolded, and actually go out of their way to find them and get some scolding in.
  • Reply 106 of 120
    Quote:

And yet I don't seem any dual platform people on Windows sites reminding everyone how wrong they are about Macs and fulminating against the FUD and stridently insisting on the awesomeness of Macs. In fact, if anyone were to do that, they'd be shouted down as "Fan Boys" and "Maclots" and "Sheeple."

It's pretty much a one way street. For some reason there are Windows users that get very exercised by the idea that there are people saying bad things about the platform and going un-scolded, and actually go out of their way to find them and get some scolding in.

And yet that person wasn't saying anything "wrong" about Macs, or telling people there were wrong with getting a Mac, they were correcting a misstatement regarding Windows, now is there an issue with doing that?
  • Reply 107 of 120
    Quote:

And yet that person wasn't saying anything "wrong" about Macs, or telling people there were wrong with getting a Mac, they were correcting a misstatement regarding Windows, now is there an issue with doing that?

Yes because Apple as a company is infallible.
  • Reply 108 of 120
    Misstatement?

So you don't think Microsoft are releasing a security update which addresses the WAT issues at 11am EST Tuesday March 9, despite me posting a link to microsoft's site explaining that is exactly what they are going to do and advising their customers to prepare for it.

The same link that was posted AGAIN when I was quoted by someone who possibly doesn't understand what blue writing means on this site.

Is that the "missinformation" you are referring to?

Now again if anyone is running a cracked version of Windows 7 (and contributing to the mountains of spam in our inboxes) I would strongly advise that you turn autoupdate off before Tuesday morning.

Quote:

• Reply 109 of 120
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Interesting. You would think they would have really cool software like pages, logic, iLife, but no, they can never seem to do it.

I did read windows 7 has outsold vista during the same time by almost tripple. And another interesting article sugggests that the Courier will be from Microsoft. If true and it's not handed over to HP, ez something, and other oems, this will mark their first computer and maybe will do well since they won't have to deal with 3 million parts, vendors ect. Could be good, could be great exciting times for all of us.

The mini slates, ipads and controlling video, cool.

I still want a mid range headless mac. 4?-8 cores, i7, thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MS is a very profitable company. It looks like Apple may outpace their quarterly revenue within a year, but when you consider the amount of profit SW makes over HW you see that Apple has a very, very long way to go before catching up to MS' profit. That is just to catch up, not anything to do with being able to buy them, which wouldn't happen even if Nixon gave Apple a check for all the money on the Earth.
    January 28, 2010 ? Microsoft Corp. today announced record revenue of $19.02 billion for the second quarter ended Dec. 31, 2009, a 14% increase from the same period of the prior year. Operating income, net income and diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $8.51 billion, $6.66 billion and $0.74 per share, which represented increases of 43%, 60% and 57%, respectively, when compared with the prior year period.
    January 25, 2010 ? Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2010 first quarter ended December 26, 2009. The Company posted revenue of $15.68 billion and a net quarterly profit of $3.38 billion, or $3.67 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $11.88 billion and net quarterly profit of $2.26 billion, or $2.50 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 40.9 percent, up from 37.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 58 percent of the quarter?s revenue.

• Reply 110 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Misstatement?

So you don't think Microsoft are releasing a security update which addresses the WAT issues at 11am EST Tuesday March 9, despite me posting a link to microsoft's site explaining that is exactly what they are going to do and advising their customers to prepare for it.

The same link that was posted AGAIN when I was quoted by someone who possibly doesn't understand what blue writing means on this site.

Well for starters the link you provided doesn't include anything about WAT in it. But as the other person said, MS updates WAT all the time, except for along ago, it doesn't affect anyone, only the people who have pirated copies, or provided pirated copies.
  • Reply 111 of 120
    The link you supplied has absolutely nothing to do with WAT. Search the page for WAT or activation. you'll find no results. If you're so sure that it's about WAT why don't you quote what they say? WAT has nothing to do with MAPP.

WAT is the new version of WGA and WAT will be signature based. Meaning every 90 days or so MS will release an update that will supposedly break all the exploits the hackers are using to pirate windows. So if you want to pirate windows you'll have to keep jumping through hoops and finding new ways to hack it every few months in order to stay up to date.

This is similar to the experience that jailbreakers have with the iPhone, their exploits are fixed evertime there's a new update.
  • Reply 112 of 120
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

PC gaming isn't what it used to be, compared to console gaming, it's nothing it's as small as mac is to windows.

So gaming represents a very small market (committed but small (sound familiar)).

If people didn't want windows 7 then they wouldn't buy a machine with it. They aren't forced to but windows 7. Everyone on here bought a mac that weren't forced to get windows. Buying a machine without windows is a easy as going to store.apple.com or going to a local Apple store at the big mall in town. The same place these people got their iPods which everyone buys.

Most people don't upgrade Windows OS they choose to get it with a new PC though Windows 7 upgrade rates have been much higher than Vista's was.

Are gaming subscriptions included in that graph? World of Warcraft, EVE... are, I believe, cheaper than average games to purchase, but will generate significant money in subscription.

As a contrast, most on-line games for PS3 are free to play on-line, but are fully priced titles.
  • Reply 113 of 120
    What's unusual about this update is that it isn't following Microsoft's usual schedule.

So why don't you want WAT?

It only affects those with cracked versions.

I like how when I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard I just put in the disk and install none of this serial number or activation bulls**t.

No sly attempts to phone home or watermark my wallpaper.

Nothing to hide from with updates.

It only cost $A14.99

Quote:

The link you supplied has absolutely nothing to do with WAT. Search the page for WAT or activation. you'll find no results. If you're so sure that it's about WAT why don't you quote what they say? WAT has nothing to do with MAPP.

WAT is the new version of WGA and WAT will be signature based. Meaning every 90 days or so MS will release an update that will supposedly break all the exploits the hackers are using to pirate windows. So if you want to pirate windows you'll have to keep jumping through hoops and finding new ways to hack it every few months in order to stay up to date.

This is similar to the experience that jailbreakers have with the iPhone, their exploits are fixed evertime there's a new update.

• Reply 114 of 120
    It's not that I don't want WAT (technically speaking WAT already comes with 7 this is just an update) I just have no need for it. Must I install every update even if it doesn't apply to me? I also paid $30US for Windows 7 Pro when it came out from the www.win741.com MS website.

Do you also call it bullshit when iWork, iLife, Aperture, Final Cut Pro, Quicktime Pro or any other number of Apple Software products require you to enter a serial number? I'm sure you don't. OS X doesn't require activation cause for the most part it only works on Apple hardware and that is it's activation. Except for the small hackintosh community which isn't enough of a threat to Apple financially for them to require activation, they can use other ways to stop them even including legal action. While if Windows didn't have activation hardly any one would pay for it and would just borrow their friends install disc and businesses would buy one copy and install it on 100 machines. But you already knew this you just like making stupid arguments as if activation was a deal breaker.
  • Reply 115 of 120
    I didn't have to use a serial to install the free copy of iWork I got with my MacBook either.

I haven't had anything to do with serial numbers since I got my MacBook, then again I haven't had to buy any software for it apart from the Snow Leopard update that is.

The same with iPhone Apps, not a single serial number in sight.

I'm looking forward to Steam enter my username and password, start downloading games.

No serial numbers required, there are better ways.

That site you linked to has the student price for Windows 7 at $64.95.

Windows 7 Professional

Windows 7 Professional includes all the Home Premium features you love and the business features your work demands. In addition, you can connect to your school network easily using the domain join feature. You can run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode and recover your data easily with automatic back-ups to your home network.

$64.95

Shouldn't you be studying or something not wasting time here.

Quote:

It's not that I don't want WAT (technically speaking WAT already comes with 7 this is just an update) I just have no need for it. Must I install every update even if it doesn't apply to me? I also paid $30US for Windows 7 Pro when it came out from the www.win741.com MS website.

Do you also call it bullshit when iWork, iLife, Aperture, Final Cut Pro, Quicktime Pro or any other number of Apple Software products require you to enter a serial number? I'm sure you don't. OS X doesn't require activation cause for the most part it only works on Apple hardware and that is it's activation. Except for the small hackintosh community which isn't enough of a threat to Apple financially for them to require activation, they can use other ways to stop them even including legal action. While if Windows didn't have activation hardly any one would pay for it and would just borrow their friends install disc and businesses would buy one copy and install it on 100 machines. But you already knew this you just like making stupid arguments as if activation was a deal breaker.

• Reply 116 of 120
    This is too easy, you're like shooting fish in a barrel. The vast majority of PC users never have to deal with activation either since their machines already come activated. Only if you get the boxed copy do you have to enter a product key just like if you get the box copy of iWork or any other Apple software (excluding OS X for reasons I already explained above).

I set you up and you fell for it so easily, it's sad really. You jump at the slightest chance to prove me wrong all the while never doing any research and in the end end up with pie in the face. the website I linked you to had an offer from Sept to Jan which gave you Windows 7 for $30.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/179501.asp

even AI ran an article on it!

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...rds_price.html

• Reply 117 of 120
    Go back to school, kid

Quote:

Quote:

This is too easy, you're like shooting fish in a barrel. The vast majority of PC users never have to deal with activation either since their machines already come activated. Only if you get the boxed copy do you have to enter a product key just like if you get the box copy of iWork or any other Apple software (excluding OS X for reasons I already explained above).

I set you up and you fell for it so easily, it's sad really. You jump at the slightest chance to prove me wrong all the while never doing any research and in the end end up with pie in the face. the website I linked you to had an offer from Sept to Jan which gave you Windows 7 for $30.

>Picture of Windows 7 Home Premium was here<

Home premium is not 7 Pro.
  • Reply 118 of 120
    HAHA! You just don't stop! You didn't bother to read the two articles I linked to where they both said you can get Premium and Professional for $30.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seattle Blog

Students can pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional now, or just wait until the Oct. 22 general release to download the operating system. They're not lightweight student versions; they're the full retail versions. Microsoft recommends students upgrading from Windows XP – or anyone performing a clean installation – purchase a backup Windows 7 DVD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AI

The offer applies to the Home Premium and Professional versions of Windows 7. Students are allowed to purchase one copy of either from Microsoft's online store.

You want me to send you a copy of my email receipt for proof? I still got it. Like I said, shooting fish in a barrel.
  • Reply 119 of 120
    Quote:

I didn't have to use a serial to install the free copy of iWork I got with my MacBook either.

Getting a "free" copy of iWork isn't standard, and with my copy I have a serial number for it, which I have to use.

Quote:

I haven't had anything to do with serial numbers since I got my MacBook, then again I haven't had to buy any software for it apart from the Snow Leopard update that is.

You haven't purchased any software for your Mac? I have purchase a lot of software for mine, and just about all of it comes with a serial number that must be entered before using.

Quote:

The same with iPhone Apps, not a single serial number in sight.

DRM, you know that thing that Apple thinks is evil except when they want to use it.

Quote:

I'm looking forward to Steam enter my username and password, start downloading games.

Again, that evil DRM that Apple talks about.

Quote:

No serial numbers required, there are better ways.

But we are told that DRM is evil, so are you now telling us that it isn't?