Apple iPad to arrive in U.S. on April 3, preorders begin March 12

Comments

• Reply 81 of 197
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Does this mean that there likely won't be any shortages as speculated before?

I'm speculating that there may or may not be....
  • Reply 82 of 197
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    One more winner for the ignore list, joining some very exclusive company.

Anyway, investors might be tickled about the shipping date finally being announced and not a month or more delayed as some of the rumors suggested. But that's a temporary boost which will be measured against the estimates of demand made in the first few days of availability. Stock pricing in the short run is all about anticipation. In the long run, it's about earnings.
  • Reply 83 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I claimed neither.

Hey listen, if you need some accessories come to me first. I don't want you to have to mug an old lady to get your iPad fix. I know I don't know much about the market but maybe you should just save up before you get an iPad instead of selling your shares that you truly believe are going to increase to 270-280.

Maybe go to the neighbors and ask to cut their grass or walk their dog make a little extra money.....

Listen to our mentor Solip, stock is for the long term. What good is having an Appleinsider mentor is you don't listen to him?
  • Reply 84 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

One more winner for the ignore list, joining some very exclusive company.

Anyway, investors might be tickled about the shipping date finally being announced and not a month or more delayed as some of the rumors suggested. But that's a temporary boost which will be measured against the estimates of demand made in the first few days of availability. Stock pricing in the short run is all about anticipation. In the long run, it's about earnings.

WRONG. The stock market has and always will be about perception. Over 36,000 people lost their jobs this report but it wasn't as bad as investors thought the number was going to be. Perception drives the market, nothing else.

We have close to 10% unemployment, as housing market in some cases with 70% underwater, national housing average 24% underwater, 41 out of 50 states with well over a billion state buget shortage and the market is up? Yeah the market is clearly based on reality.
  • Reply 85 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Hey listen, if you need some accessories come to me first. I don't want you to have to mug an old lady to get your iPad fix. I know I don't know much about the market but maybe you should just save up before you get an iPad instead of selling your shares that you truly believe are going to increase to 270-280.

Maybe go to the neighbors and ask to cut their grass or walk their dog make a little extra money.....

Listen to our mentor Solip, stock is for the long term. What good is having an Appleinsider mentor is you don't listen to him?

Thanks for your offer. You're very kind. Don't worry, I will not have to mug any old ladies for my Apple fix -- I am all set. Somehow, I'll manage. Even after selling my 10 shares, I'll still have enough left over that I am holding to put one of my kids through four years of private college!

I can understand -- and empathize with, since I was there once -- why guys like you resent people like me.
  • Reply 86 of 197
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

I am still wondering about one thing: tethering your iPhone to a Wifi-only iPad? Will work?

Tethering should work, but note that the WiFi-only version also lacks GPS, so it's not completely equivalent. Both have everything else, though.
  • Reply 87 of 197
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

AI, I realize you had to make a story out of it, but one line of 'news,' and the rest just cut-and-paste of corporate-speak from Apple!?

Yay! we agree on something.

If AI isn't in fact owned by Apple, it might as well be.

Quote:

iPad makes it easy to watch movies, TV shows and YouTube, all in HD

HD eh, really?
  • Reply 88 of 197
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Funny how you felt the need to slam me for using Gb instead of GB yet fully understood what I meant? \ ...

Well it was a kind of snarky remark, but then I was replying to same.

And I *don't* understand what you mean about the "WiFi device," but don't bother explaining cause I already couldn't care less. With the exchange we've had so far I don't see how it would be productive or useful to discuss this with you.
  • Reply 89 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

HD eh, really?

It's 1024x768. Technically, HD is 720p or over, no?
  • Reply 90 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well it was a kind of snarky remark, but then I was replying to same.

And I *don't* understand what you mean about the "WiFi device," but don't bother explaining cause I already couldn't care less. With the exchange we've had so far I don't see how it would be productive or useful to discuss this with you.

Trust me, it works wonders for your sanity if you can avoid getting into a conversation with TEKSTUD.... I mean, yesiCan.
  • Reply 91 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Completely agree. Amazing how some folks have trouble grasping something so simple.....
  • Reply 92 of 197
    AAPL got a big boost from Cramer last night as well (tons of people still listen to him - go figure)... that, and the iPad announcement= up.

Look for resistance around $220, then LOTS of profit taking on Monday. Back up to record highs the last few days before launch, followed by a slide until around the end of May when the new iPhone rumors start to boil. $250 at least by the middle of June.
  • Reply 93 of 197
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

It's 1024x768. Technically, HD is 720p or over, no?

1280x720, yes. 1024x768 doesn't cut it.
  • Reply 94 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Tethering should work, but note that the WiFi-only version also lacks GPS, so it's not completely equivalent. Both have everything else, though.

Although it hasn't been announced, I'm almost certain that tethering will be possible everywhere except in the USA where they have weird rules about that sort of thing from AT&T.

In Canada for instance, tethering is just part of the iPhone package already at all the major carriers. I have 6GB a month and that includes any tethering I want to do. Data is data after all. I believe the same thing is in effect in Europe. If the carriers then turn around and say that while you can tether your laptop, you cannot tether the iPad, then they will have a revolt on their hands.

Personally the 3G models of the iPad mystify me. I just don't see the need for a device of this type to be always online considering the cost of the service. I'm already paying exorbitant cell fees for the phone, why would anyone pay an extra fifteen bucks a month just to be able to download the latest newspaper that one time they forgot to sync?

Also I read a lot of books, but is it really that important to buy the latest best seller while sitting on the bus when you know you can get it the next time you are home or walk through a WiFi hotspot anyway? Some people, (heavy travellers mostly), will need this, but for the average user the Wifi model is a far better product.
  • Reply 95 of 197
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

My hat gets tipped to anyone and everyone who buys a $500 16Gb Wifi iDevice.

May you not complain in 6 months when the price drops.

I paid full price for the original 2G iPhone. I didn't regret it one bit. It made my life a lot easier from the day I bought it. The only way we would see a price drop though is if it doesn't sell well enough and Apple thinks they have enough margin to lower the price. With the market surveys that have been run on this, I kinda doubt we'll see any price drop. If you are concerned though, buy it with AMEX. They have price protection for consumer products.
  • Reply 96 of 197
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

1280x720, yes. 1024x768 doesn't cut it.

Why not? That's a pretty damn good resolution on a 10" screen, no?
  • Reply 97 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

AAPL got a big boost from Cramer last night as well (tons of people still listen to him - go figure)... that, and the iPad announcement= up.

Look for resistance around $220, then LOTS of profit taking on Monday. Back up to record highs the last few days before launch, followed by a slide until around the end of May when the new iPhone rumors start to boil. $250 at least by the middle of June.

Groan..... Cramer? 'resistance?' 'profit taking?' 'record highs?' 'slide?' 'boil?' specific price forecasts by specific months?

You've wandered into the wrong forum.....
  • Reply 98 of 197
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    My wife was just asking me if we get the iPad can she stream soap operas and TV shows from the web. Sorry no. Steve Jobs is mad at Adobe so there will be no flash support. You have to buy everything on iTunes. She says she will stick with a MacBook Pro. No limitations. I agree.

I might have uses for the iPad, but if I can't choose my data provider, then it's no sale for me. Sorry Steve. I love ya, but you can't talk me into being AT&T's customer again.
  • Reply 99 of 197
    Quote:

Trust me, it works wonders for your sanity if you can avoid getting into a conversation with TEKSTUD.... I mean, yesiCan.

He is so many different avatars it's hard for me to keep track of which ones are him. Half my ignore list is his alts already, and before he arrived on the forum I only had one person on ignore for the longest time.

I feel sorry for him though. Such a desperate need to be heard, (when in fact you have nothing important to say and don't really even know what you're talking about), is just pathetic really. If there was a prize for trolling teckstud should win hands down.

I bet he spends his downtime griefing in Second Life.
  • Reply 100 of 197
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

BTW, since Rogers allows tethering does the following work-around function in the U.S? Or anywhere else for that matter.

How to activate tethering on any iPhone without jailbreaking http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10265889-233.html

When tethering was first added to the iPhone firmware, it was possible to turn it on for free without jailbreaking the iPhone (i.e., modifying its firmware). This was "fixed" in the next version. The solutions currently offered that work with current software all involve jailbreaking.