Apple iPad to arrive in U.S. on April 3, preorders begin March 12

Comments

• Reply 101 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I doubt Apple will limit how much money you can send to them.

They usually have a limit of how many devices one person can buy. The iPhone has been one per person but, of course, it depends on supply and demand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

How many rumors of new production estimates before launch? I'm thinking another 5 or 6.

That is the only certain. The iPad interest as been reignited.

I realized that I'm almost always carrying a book with me so having an 3G iPad with me would be fine if I got rid of my iPhone. I don't like talking on the phone and have thousands of minutes unused, as well as a Google Voice number f needed. Perhaps this could save me $40/month+tax. I'll have to see what the new MBPs the next iPhone OS and HW, and how the iPad in real world use fares before making such a decision but it's on the back burner simmering.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Can we also pre-order the WiFi + 3G model on March 12th?

It reads that way to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

But if the thing isn't operator locked (is it?) I can go to any of the mentioned countries and purchase a Wifi or later on a Wifi + 3G and carry home to Sweden. Or?

The iPad specs list that it's unlocked and the GSM/3GSM frequencies it'll connect to.

Note that if you want GPS you have to buy the cellular-capable model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

How to activate tethering on any iPhone without jailbreaking http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10265889-233.html

That no longer works if you have updated to version 3.1.3 and downgrading to 3.1.2 is virtually impossible if you didn't take steps the update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The market is up ~1%. Given Apple's high beta (sensitivity of a stock's returns to the market's returns), we would expect a 'normal' ~2% increase for the stock. AAPL is up 3.3%. The 'abnormal' ~1.3% is clearly attributable to the only significant news from Apple for the the day, i.e., the iPad.

These are market basics.

Let me know if you'd like any references so that you can educate yourself.

I have a feeling that when Apple falls exactly with the market or even less severe on a day the NASDAQ tumbles it's gonna be a bunch of "Apple is teh doomed" and "People stopped drinking teh Kool-Aid" posts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Does this mean that there likely won't be any shortages as speculated before?

I don't think a determination can be made on that. If supply minus demand is a negative number than there will be shortages. They plan on offering a 3G version and both versions to many countries just a few weeks after the launch so it might be fine, but I have a feeling there will be daily sell outs like with the iPhone releases. Whatever happens, this looks like it's going to be the fastest selling tablet ever.

PS: Does anyone have tablet sales stats for the past decade?
  • Reply 102 of 197
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    If the iPad price drops before the end of the year, it won't be more than $100 per model, and I doubt any early adopter would have a problem with that at all.

The original iPhone changed from unsubsidized to subsidized, resulting in customer-realized "price drop", one that did not actually occur as far as Apples price to carrier is concerned.

The iPad is not a mobile phone handset tied to carrier. It is a roughly $500 product with room for up 100 drop, possibly up to $130 drop on the top end model(s).

This is not difficult to understand.
  • Reply 103 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

My wife was just asking me if we get the iPad can she stream soap operas and TV shows from the web. Sorry no. Steve Jobs is mad at Adobe so there will be no flash support. You have to buy everything on iTunes. She says she will stick with a MacBook Pro. No limitations. I agree.

I might have uses for the iPad, but if I can't choose my data provider, then it's no sale for me. Sorry Steve. I love ya, but you can't talk me into being AT&T's customer again.

Good luck with that. Your free TV shows have a bullseye painted on them, if you haven't heard.
  • Reply 104 of 197
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Good news for those desiring the WiFi-only version, but I'm holding out for the 3g/64gb, or possibly this little beauty...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/m...s-and-de/?s=t5

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 105 of 197
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:

It's 1024x768. Technically, HD is 720p or over, no?

Correcto mundo. Both 1366x768 and 1024x768 native display resolutions are commonly referred to as 720p HD.

But it ain't about video IMHO. The real benefit to the iPad over any other display Apple supplies is the vertical display option. Think about it. All these damn wide screens that we must lug around... for what? Two hours a month of movie watching? I can't remember the last time I watched a movie on my MBP.

However, I read email and PDF's and write documents and proposals and all sorts of work related things that the damn wide screen displays force me to scroll and scroll and scroll over. The great benefit of the iPad is that the vertical display will deliver more text per screen, reducing scrolling and making reading much faster and more pleasant than any other Apple product available.
  • Reply 106 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I feel sorry for him though. Such a desperate need to be heard, (when in fact you have nothing important to say and don't really even know what you're talking about), is just pathetic really. If there was a prize for trolling teckstud should win hands down

Yes, it's sad, really. Some people are just caught in their own vicious cycle and can't see it, even to the point of self-destruction.

There's an ancient children's tale in Indian mythology about a scorpion and a frog (sometimes, crocodile): http://www.cioindex.com/portal/cio_c...2FNo+Container

Check it out. Seriously. You'll see what I mean.
  • Reply 107 of 197
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Groan..... Cramer? 'resistance?' 'profit taking?' 'record highs?' 'slide?' 'boil?' specific price forecasts by specific months?

You've wandered into the wrong forum.....

I think he's wandered into the wrong universe.
  • Reply 108 of 197
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Correcto mundo. Both 1366x768 and 1024x768 native display resolutions are commonly referred to as 720p HD.

Erm, not really. Low-end 720p televisions will often times use screens that are actually the resolutions you mentioned (because it's cheaper), but in both instances it's a 16:9 screen and the resolution has been stretched to match it. This is why when purchasing a 720p television instead of a 1080p television, it's not so much about whether you notice the improvement in resolution, as to whether you can tolerate the artifacts introduced by the scaling and stretching used to force those resolutions to display 16:9 HD content at 16:9.

A 4:3 screen cannot be 720p HD. But a 1280x960 (4:3) screen could display 720p content without cropping or scaling — there would just be letterboxing. If the iPad is going to remain a 4:3 device, 1280x960 would have been the best resolution for it.
  • Reply 109 of 197
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

One more winner for the ignore list, joining some very exclusive company.

I'd almost given up on this site so troll-infested had it become. Then we seemed to have a bit of respite, and recently we've had a few 'old-style' threads where people discuss, argue and inform, just like the old days. Then, rather like that wonderful and mysterious act of nature where all the slugs know which one particular night to all come out on to the pavement to meet up and make whoopy, the gang's all back! On page 2 of this thread there are:

40 posts;

16 are on my ignore list;

10 respond directly to comments wriggled out from my ignore list.

And I haven't even got round to adding yesI'matroll... er... yesIcan to my ig list yet!
  • Reply 110 of 197
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Good luck with that. Your free TV shows have a bullseye painted on them, if you haven't heard.

Good point, but one which will doom TV on the web. At least as far as I'm concerned. I'll put up with watching TV shows in low resolution with ads on my laptop if it's free. But if I have to pay for it, which is fine, I want my content on my flat screen in HD in the living room with no ads. I'm funny that way.

And I don't want to have shelves full of hard drives to store TV shows and more hard drives to back them up. So if free streaming TV goes away, were talking about going back to physical media. And since the iPad has no DVD drive...

This begs the question, how far will people put up with a crippled experience?
  • Reply 111 of 197
    Quote:

Groan..... Cramer? 'resistance?' 'profit taking?' 'record highs?' 'slide?' 'boil?' specific price forecasts by specific months?

You've wandered into the wrong forum.....

Just giving my take on what others have been discussing in this thread:

Quote:

Hmmm..... Apple up over $6.50 on the announcement, with overall portfolio value up quite handsomely. Planning to sell 10 shares of the company (to allow for capital gains taxes and some accessories), and my order for two 64GB w/3G is pretty much all set!

Magical -- paid for itself!

Quote:

The market is up ~1%. Given Apple's high beta (sensitivity of a stock's returns to the market's returns), we would expect a 'normal' ~2% increase for the stock. AAPL is up 3.3%. The 'abnormal' ~1.3% is clearly attributable to the only significant news from Apple for the the day, i.e., the iPad.

These are market basics.

Let me know if you'd like any references so that you can educate yourself.

• Reply 112 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Just giving my take on what others have been discussing in this thread:

Clever, but no cigar.

Where/when did I ever forecast a price for Apple or set a target date? Or say anything about Apple being overbought or oversold or too high or too low or boiling or sliding or whatever?

I would not, since nothing in known economics enables me to do that.

My original comment was simply about how I was proposing to pay for my iPads given today's market reaction - it is an actual transaction that I undertook today (i.e., nothing hypothetical or speculative about it). The second comment was an explanation for the market reaction, and that too, as a specific response to a poster who did not seem to understand what I was saying (with an offer for references if interested).

What specifically did you disagree with?
  • Reply 113 of 197
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    (Deleted) Too late to pick on extremeskater.
  • Reply 114 of 197
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think ghostface might have been being sarcastic, but I'm with you. At that price, I am going to buy one just to fool around with and it is more of a want than a need.

One of the things I think Apple is doing here and perhaps counting on, is that the low end model is so damed cheap that many many folks will pick one up just out of curiosity. At least a part of the reason tablets haven't sold before is they represent a "weird" way of computing for the average person, yet they typically cost several thousand dollars.

With the barrier to purchase so low, many more people will be tempted to try out the new way of doing things and buy an iPad.

Excellent points.
  • Reply 115 of 197
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

My hat gets tipped to anyone and everyone who buys a $500 16Gb Wifi iDevice.

May you not complain in 6 months when the price drops.

I'm going to guess those of us that are early adopters, have the money to spend and it isn't going to break the bank. Personally I am going to buy the 16g model and wait on the 3g until version 2 comes out and is beefed up / price cut.

I am sure it will be great what I want it for, browse the web, check email, play some games, general use while on the couch watching tv, long flights, MLB App watching streaming Red Sox games for 99cents each, etc.,
  • Reply 116 of 197
    Quote:

Clever, but no cigar.

Where/when did I ever forecast a price for Apple or set a target date? Or say anything about Apple being overbought or oversold or too high or too low or boiling or sliding or whatever?

I would not, since nothing in known economics enables me to do that.

My original comment was simply about how I was proposing to pay for my iPads given today's market reaction - it is an actual transaction that I undertook today (i.e., nothing hypothetical or speculative about it). The second comment was an explanation for the market reaction, and that too, as a specific response to a poster who did not seem to understand what I was saying (with an offer for references if interested).

What specifically did you disagree with?

What makes you think I disagree with you? Or was even talking about your post in the first place? I just quoted you in my reply to you telling me that I'm in the wrong forum to talk about AAPL.

So, we have to keep our comments about AAPL to your predefined limits?

I did not know that.

I'll keep my thoughts to myself from now on then. Sorry to bother you.

I, like you for the iPad, bought the first iPhone (3 of them) on launch day with profits from selling a bit of Apple stock...
  • Reply 117 of 197
    After 3 (other) threads with naysayers "Oh I don't think so" or "The iPhone 3GS reserve launch was a fiasco", suck it DOWN!

No nerd lines for me - I'll be a-doin' my online RSVP and pickup bitches!

Actually, I'll admit the first iPhone line was fun because it IS a nerd gathering which in the age of post-user group meetings and other face-to-face events, can be fun - I vastly prefered my 3GS pickup which took less than 10 minutes (5 I think).

Makes it worth the slip into April.
  • Reply 118 of 197
    Not sure I will purchase an iPad until they resolve the Flash issue. This will prevent us from watching movings from Amazon.com, watching shows on Hulu. I'm not even sure if you can stream movies from Netflix. My MacBook Pro can do all that. Not worth the money until they resolve this issue.
  • Reply 119 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psay101 View Post

Not sure I will purchase an iPad until they resolve the Flash issue. This will prevent us from watching movings from Amazon.com, watching shows on Hulu. I'm not even sure if you can stream movies from Netflix. My MacBook Pro can do all that. Not worth the money until they resolve this issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Good point, but one which will doom TV on the web. At least as far as I'm concerned. I'll put up with watching TV shows in low resolution with ads on my laptop if it's free. But if I have to pay for it, which is fine, I want my content on my flat screen in HD in the living room with no ads. I'm funny that way.

And I don't want to have shelves full of hard drives to store TV shows and more hard drives to back them up. So if free streaming TV goes away, were talking about going back to physical media. And since the iPad has no DVD drive...

This begs the question, how far will people put up with a crippled experience?

It's only cripple from the perspective that what was once "free" is no longer "free".

I think we're going to see several, very similar, "competitive" offerings that all serve ad-based, paid streams/downloads. iTunes, Hulu, and Netflix, to start with. The TV studios are looking for a universal business model that serves adds and charges a fee. It's coming.

Some might think it would drive piracy, but not if TV Shows are roundabout $.69 - $99 w/ ads. Whether you pay monthly or per show, if the prices work out to be within this range, they will be just as popular as ad-only sites are now, mostly due to new hardware designed to drive the content.
  • Reply 120 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

What makes you think I disagree with you? Or was even talking about your post in the first place? I just quoted you in my reply to you telling me that I'm in the wrong forum to talk about AAPL.

So, we have to keep our comments about AAPL to your predefined limits?

I did not know that.

I'll keep my thoughts to myself from now on then. Sorry to bother you.

I, like you for the iPad, bought the first iPhone (3 of them) on launch day with profits from selling a bit of Apple stock...

Not that I want to make too big a deal of it, but just to clarify, you should know that my issue with the other poster on AAPL stock had to with random price forecasts he was making using nonsensical 'technical' trading terms a la a day-trader. That had nothing to do with the iPad, and even if it did, it is pure, uninformed stock price speculation that is more apropos of a Yahoo!Finance forum.

My comment about selling some shares was simply in the nature of pointing out a delicious 'virtuous cycle' that arises from being both an Apple consumer and an Apple shareholder!

If the point was missed, well, I am sure that was my fault....