Apple iPad to arrive in U.S. on April 3, preorders begin March 12

Comments

• Reply 121 of 197
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Do you think buying an Ipad on apple.com and put a Canadian delivery address would work?
  • Reply 122 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Good luck with that. Your free TV shows have a bullseye painted on them, if you haven't heard.

aint Hulu coming up with an Ipad app?
  • Reply 123 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

My hat gets tipped to anyone and everyone who buys a $500 16Gb Wifi iDevice.

May you not complain in 6 months when the price drops.

I got both the apple voucher and 2 free months from ATT. Instead of dropping 200 in value I got 260.00 in freebies - 60 over cost, and 2 months of use. Even if Woz hadn't signed it (true story) fine by me.

Nice try tho troll.
  • Reply 124 of 197
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Glad to see you back, TEKSTUD! (Not).

LOL, upon reading his very first comment I had my suspicion. When I read his second comment it was confirmed. He really gave up his identity too soon. He could have had some fun.
  • Reply 125 of 197
    April 3 should be an interesting day. The usual lines around Apple stores. News organizations reporting on the frenzy. First person accounts on what the early adopters thought of it. The rush of the naysayers to try and stifle the positive press Apple will get. It should be an exciting Saturday.

Then day2 we get to see all the new iPad apps available. Thats when things will really take off. The new WSJ app. The different approaches taken by the early magazine producers to show off the device. The first game that sells a million dollars worth of iPad games. I'm definitely looking forward to that first week of the iPad. We live in exciting times.
  • Reply 126 of 197
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

aint Hulu coming up with an Ipad app?

yup, prepare for it to be a paid model, that will rollout across the whole of Hulu by the end of Calendar 2010.
  • Reply 127 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I bet he spends his downtime griefing in Second Life.

I seriously suspect he (Tekstud / yesHEcanbeAteabagger) is unemployed - in which case he has my sympathies (seriously).

Been there - not doing that presently - am presently farting about trying to come up with some odds and ends designs for a laid-back friday (coaster, t-shit and blog header design and some middling asset updates for a pile of sites) - which works best by not thinking about them too hard and letting the idea float to the surface (if that makes any kind of sense). Also prefer waiting for the caffeine to take hold.

At least it works better than staring at a blank screen until my forehead bleeds (bonus if you can identify the author I just paraphrased)

I'm looking forward to finally being unchained from the desk with a truly portable device that has a screen larger than my phone. I gave up normal TV when I decided I didn't want a 50 inch jumbotron in the living room. The iPad is freakin' perfect for my needs.
  • Reply 128 of 197
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Erm, not really. Low-end 720p televisions will often times use screens that are actually the resolutions you mentioned (because it's cheaper), but in both instances it's a 16:9 screen and the resolution has been stretched to match it. This is why when purchasing a 720p television instead of a 1080p television, it's not so much about whether you notice the improvement in resolution, as to whether you can tolerate the artifacts introduced by the scaling and stretching used to force those resolutions to display 16:9 HD content at 16:9.

A 4:3 screen cannot be 720p HD. But a 1280x960 (4:3) screen could display 720p content without cropping or scaling — there would just be letterboxing. If the iPad is going to remain a 4:3 device, 1280x960 would have been the best resolution for it.

Technically, 720p refers to the horizontal resolution only of a given display and how it's scanned (progressively). By that narrow definition, the iPad can be considered to be 720p as it has the native horizontal resolution to support a full 720 lines of horizontal resolution. However, when people generally refer to something as being "720p", it's in the sense of the HD standard which is 1280x720 pixels (vertical by horizontal). In this respect, the iPad is not true 720p. Despite all this, I still feel that video should be able to look quite good on the iPad, given it's nearly 10" diagonal size and how much resolution is packed into it.
  • Reply 129 of 197
    Quote:

yup, prepare for it to be a paid model, that will rollout across the whole of Hulu by the end of Calendar 2010.

That will be nice because its going to be direct competition for the applestore. If apple allows the hulu app then it kind of kills all of the big-brother/monopoly critics.
  • Reply 130 of 197
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, it's sad, really. Some people are just caught in their own vicious cycle and can't see it, even to the point of self-destruction.

There's an ancient children's tale in Indian mythology about a scorpion and a frog (sometimes, crocodile): http://www.cioindex.com/portal/cio_c...2FNo+Container

Check it out. Seriously. You'll see what I mean.

Great!

I forgot all about that fable, I heard it as a fox and something else that I can't remember with an equally obvious predator/prey relationship. Judging by your link it seems like your's is possibly the original though.

Interesting that while the fable (in true fable form) uses animals to represent human nature, in a similar situation with *real* animals in nature, the predator would not immediately eat the prey. In most real life situations like that, that predator/prey relationship is somehow mutually suspended.

The "lower" animals are more civilised than we are sometimes I guess. Or at least absent the active malice towards their fellow beings.

Unfortunately, that's strictly human territory.
  • Reply 131 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

That will be nice because its going to be direct competition for the applestore. If apple allows the hulu app then it kind of kills all of the big-brother/monopoly critics.

Compete, yes. Apple allows the Kindle App, and will continue to.

If Apple would reject a Hulu app, it would be only to the disadvantage of Apple customers, as Hulu would then provide an iPad-specific (or simply compatible) web site. Paid of course, with ads.

But that offering won't be nearly as attractive as the same service provided through a native app, which could very nice, very feature-rich. Much more so than a site.
  • Reply 132 of 197
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

I seriously suspect he (Tekstud / yesHEcanbeAteabagger) is unemployed - in which case he has my sympathies (seriously).

Been there - not doing that presently - am presently farting about trying to come up with some odds and ends designs for a laid-back friday (coaster, t-shit and blog header design and some middling asset updates for a pile of sites) - which works best by not thinking about them too hard and letting the idea float to the surface (if that makes any kind of sense). Also prefer waiting for the caffeine to take hold.

At least it works better than staring at a blank screen until my forehead bleeds (bonus if you can identify the author I just paraphrased)

I'm looking forward to finally being unchained from the desk with a truly portable device that has a screen larger than my phone. I gave up normal TV when I decided I didn't want a 50 inch jumbotron in the living room. The iPad is freakin' perfect for my needs.

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if teckstud was a teabagger (in the political meaning of the word), even though his grammar makes me suspect he is an ESL person who would have nothing in common with the predominantly white grievances of that group.

I am a technician/writer/designer/artist myself so I understand the creative process well. I am looking forward to getting a hold of one of these iPads just to play around with, but I also hope it will be useful.

My only quibble with the design of it, is the disappointingly large bezel which likely won't allow for thumb-typing (crucial to my intended uses), and is I feel a sort of sop towards the lower end users who might inadvertently pick it up wrong and open an app by mistake. It's also a bit big for me as I have great eyesight.

My ideal iPad would be halfway between this and the iPhone in size, with a bezel designed more like the iPhone than the iPad. That way it's more easily stowed in a purse or big pocket instead of having to carry an extra bag, and is still easily big enough to read and (more importantly), the perfect size to thumb type on like the iPhone.

I am constantly surprised that Apple makes all of it's products the same size or only makes one size of each type given the fact that humans come in sizes ranging from 1 to 2.5 metres tall and hand sizes range wildly. I'd like to see them manufacture two or three sizes of all the iProducts and pay much more attention to the ergonomics, but this is something Apple has historically never been very good at. Probably because it destroys the impression of the product as being "perfect" if one size doesn't fit all or one ergonomic decision isn't perceived as right for everyone.
  • Reply 133 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So will Apple have demo units in stores as of March 12th to help pull in more pre-release sales?
  • Reply 134 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if teckstud was a teabagger (in the political meaning of the word), even though his grammar makes me suspect he is an ESL person who would have nothing in common with the predominantly white grievances of that group.

Gotta love the way people have bought into the media's total co-opting of what used to be a constitutionalist movement, and is now a way to demonize anyone who disagrees with corruption.
  • Reply 135 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So will Apple have demo units in stores as of March 12th to help pull in more pre-release sales?

If I had to guess, not a flippin chance in hell.
  • Reply 136 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Damn good question.
  • Reply 137 of 197
    Quote:

Gotta love the way people have bought into the media's total co-opting of what used to be a constitutionalist movement, and is now a way to demonize anyone who disagrees with corruption.

More like they're libertarian wanna-be's - but they even do a pale-job at that. First they don't like Ron Paul and shove him aside - then they're "just like him".

Sure Fox whatever. Keep whacking those trailer parks for cash like a white-trash pinata. No one ever went broke selling to the lowest common denominator.

Like Microsoft.
  • Reply 138 of 197
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

If I had to guess, not a flippin chance in hell.

I'd say also very doubtful. They didn't do this with the iPhone, did they?
  • Reply 139 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Damn good question.

As we all seemed to expect, I was just informed that stores will most likely not have any demo units until launch day.
  • Reply 140 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'd say also very doubtful. They didn't do this with the iPhone, did they?

Good point. Besides, I think it would burst the bubble of all those people hoping for some surprise features at release. If they're not on the demos, then they'll most likely not be on the release product.