iPad: 50,000 sales in 2 hours, Apple TV bumped, mysterious app icon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 266
    I would guess the name of the app is "Nat Geo", a common shortening of the full magazine name.

It looks like the characters fit that naming as well.
  • Reply 42 of 266
    The Mobile Me (dot Mac) widget at the bottom of the iPad detail pages where they speak on iWork and iBooks links to a simple page that states boldly (I paraphrase)

"Misplaced your iPad?" ... blaha blah.

Like the iPhone, the iPad can be located via Mobile Me and remotely locked and even wiped.
  • Reply 43 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Yeh, slipped sorry will not happen again

You can still edit it, y'know.....
  • Reply 44 of 266
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

How is putting the Apple TV to the back pages going to help sell more unites, and make it NOT a hobby project???

I think they just need to redesign the store, maybe lose one of the columns or have a carousel like on the top of the other pages.

The only thing that can sell the Apple TV is content.

the second they announce a meaningful subscription plan is when Apple TV will start flying off the shelf. But I guess that'll take a long time for negotiation.
  • Reply 45 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Wow, so they're charging you now for something that won't ship for almost 3 weeks? I don't think the charge will stay as pending until the iPad ships.

I'm not really sure, the funds arent available in my account so idk if its being held or charged already. Good thing is, it doesn't matter to me either way, just curious.
  • Reply 46 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Doesn't look like there will be one, otherwise there should be a footnote somewhere saying activation fee may apply or something.

Ha! I hope I was right about that!

At this stage, I can see a wellspring of grumbling and demands for $130 back (or worse!) if Apple/ATT suddenly said something like "well, we forgot to tell ya that it will cost $30 each time you sign off/sign on...."

After all, Jobs did say something like "groundbreaking deal" with ATT. I think this is what he meant. If so, it'll be huge for the iPad.
  • Reply 47 of 266
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    Dear dudes...

Get out your iPhone. Go to http://nationalgeographic.com , then go to the full site, not the mobile one. Add the site to your home screen...

BIG FREAKING DEAL!

I thought I was a fanboy, but dayum! Y'all need to chill out!
  • Reply 48 of 266
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I'm not really sure, the funds arent available in my account so idk if its being held or charged already. Good thing is, it doesn't matter to me either way, just curious.

True, it is just 3 weeks after all. It wouldn't bother me either, but I guess I was still a little surprised. I guess half the places I pre-order stuff from don't charge you until the item ships. It's not like my checking account is earning that much interest anyway.
  • Reply 49 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It doesn't say either way, because it is up the carrier to charge or not charge an activation fee, as they see fit.

I find it difficult to imagine that Apple's lawyers -- careful as they are -- wouldn't then have told them to put in a little caveat/footnote along those lines prior to ordering the 3G version.....
  • Reply 50 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woode View Post

I thought I was a fanboy, but dayum! Y'all need to chill out!

Agreed. And the icon title says "Nat Geo". Im sure 'mysterious app icon' continues to get a lot of clicks Apple Insider \
  • Reply 51 of 266
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I find it difficult to imagine that Apple's lawyers -- careful as they are -- wouldn't then have told them to put in a little caveat/footnote along those lines prior to ordering the 3G version.....

Well again, it's not Apple's business really. They aren't the carrier and don't set these charges. It's quite possible that AT&T hasn't decided on activation fees yet, or whether they will levy one. They will certainly wait until the 3G iPad ships to announce this, and maybe not even then. They'll probably want to know how many iPad owners are flip-flopping in and out of the service on a regular basis, something you can be sure they don't want to encourage.
  • Reply 52 of 266
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Are you sure those are not your own bank's charges for using the debit card, I can go back years looking at my Amex account and no such one dollar charges from Apple have ever occurred, in stock items or pre orders.

Those are what Apple uses to verify the account they are changed to the correct amount when shipped. More then likely you won't see them on a credit card, or your card company just ignores it knowing that the amount will be changing soon or they have a different verification in place. On mine it just shows a $1 pending charge that never hits, when the product ships the $1 pending disappears and the full amount shows.
  • Reply 53 of 266
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    I want iPhone OS 4 on AppleTV!!! Come on Apple, give me web browsing & games from the comfort of my couch on the big screen!
  • Reply 54 of 266
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well the Apple store isn't exactly crashing like some predicted. I don't believe pre orders are going to be all that high, I think people are going to want to see this device first before buying one.

Even at the lowest cost of 500.00 with a few small accessories going to bring this to 600.00 with tax. In this economy large groups of consumers aren't going to give out a min of 600.00 without at least giving this device a try or waiting until some real consumer reviews come along. The lowest 3G model someone is looking at close to 700.00 before they get out the door.

Oops.
  • Reply 55 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

I want iPhone OS 4 on AppleTV!!! Come on Apple, give me web browsing & games from the comfort of my couch on the big screen!

Yes all of those multi touch games will work great from your couch...
  • Reply 56 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

And use the iPhone/iPod Touch as a controller like it is via Remote for the other features.
  • Reply 57 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Well again, it's not Apple's business really. They aren't the carrier and don't set these charges. It's quite possible that AT&T hasn't decided on activation fees yet, or whether they will levy one. They will certainly wait until the 3G iPad ships to announce this, and maybe not even then. They'll probably want to know how many iPad owners are flip-flopping in and out of the service on a regular basis, something you can be sure they don't want to encourage.

I realize one can't believe everything one reads on the internetz, but this post from the NYT Bits Blog (bits.blogs.nytimes.com) caught my attention:

----

CharlieATL

Atlanta

March 12th, 2010

12:10 pm

Nick W -

I have it in writing from AT&T that they will NOT be charging an activation fee to turn on 3G. I'm not a big AT&T fan, but I think they did a very good job with the pricing model on this 3G service, i.e. no contract, no activation fee.

Now, if we could just get tethering for our iPhones...

-----
  • Reply 58 of 266
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Where are the ?it?s a giant iPod, nobody will be interested? people?
  • Reply 59 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Oops.

Didn't understand the "Oops". Did the site crash and I missed it?
  • Reply 60 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Where are the ?it?s a giant iPod, nobody will be interested? people?

Pre-ordering their iPads.