iPad: 50,000 sales in 2 hours, Apple TV bumped, mysterious app icon

1235714

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    It's all good, I got your point. I was just saying that something has to have a bit of success before I buy it, no matter how badly I may want it.



    I would agree. I believe the iPad is going to do okay maybe even well but unlike my buddy Quadra I have serious doubts that "Slate" computing is going to take over notebooks anytime soon.



    I have to admit though I am always amazed at the Apple somewhat cult following by some. If these numbers are correct its hard to understand people that will spend 600+ dollars a new product they have never even tried or have no clue if its going to have first generation issues.



    However if it makes them happy go for it. Just hope they aren't flipping out if the price drops 200.00 in six months like the iPhone did.
  • Reply 82 of 266
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I would agree. I believe the iPad is going to do okay maybe even well but unlike my buddy Quadra I have serious doubts that "Slate" computing is going to take over notebooks anytime soon.



    I have to admit though I am always amazed at the Apple somewhat cult following by some. If these numbers are correct its hard to understand people that will spend 600+ dollars a new product they have never even tried or have no clue if its going to have first generation issues.



    However if it makes them happy go for it. Just hope they aren't flipping out if the price drops 200.00 in six months like the iPhone did.



    You're just out of touch with the reality of the market, as usual. Having all the imagination of a rock doesn't help, either.
  • Reply 83 of 266
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    I realize one can't believe everything one reads on the internetz, but this post from the NYT Bits Blog (bits.blogs.nytimes.com) caught my attention:



    ----

    50.

    CharlieATL

    Atlanta

    March 12th, 2010

    12:10 pm



    Nick W -

    I have it in writing from AT&T that they will NOT be charging an activation fee to turn on 3G. I'm not a big AT&T fan, but I think they did a very good job with the pricing model on this 3G service, i.e. no contract, no activation fee.

    Now, if we could just get tethering for our iPhones...

    -----




    That's excellent. The ability to casually toggle 3G access month to month for as little as $15 makes the 3G model much more appealing, in my opinion.



    The buy-in for the hardware is a little steep, but having the capacity there in no-hassle form is huge.



    Compare that to Verizon's recently adopted policy of charging a mandatory $10 monthly data fee for "multimedia phones", including some basic clamshells such as the LG VX8360.



    So for just a little more than I would pay for the privilege using a phone only slightly more sophisticated than the average dumbphone, I can have ubiquitous data access on my iPad--but with no commitment. There actually are some upsides to the exclusive AT&T deal.
  • Reply 84 of 266
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    ...However if it makes them happy go for it. Just hope they aren't flipping out if the price drops 200.00 in six months like the iPhone did.



    It's the risk they take (or I/we take) whenever we assume the early adopter role. I paid $1,000 for my first DVD player and another $1,000 for my 1st Blu-ray player (and another $500 for an HD-DVD player) so I'm no stranger to the sting of dramatic prices drops that usually follow a new product's introduction. Oddly enough, when it came to DVD and Blu-ray years later, I didn't wait for a measure of success before jumping in. Nowadays, I try to be a little bit more reserved with my disposable income. I currently have two $1,000 devices sitting in my basement that tell me to.
  • Reply 85 of 266
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    However if it makes them happy go for it. Just hope they aren't flipping out if the price drops 200.00 in six months like the iPhone did.



    You don't get the point. First of all they priced it at an affordable price point for an Apple product and second of all they won't pull that stunt again.



    Yes they will upgrade the iPad so essentially the price will "drop" but that's not the same thing.
  • Reply 86 of 266
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Last month, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said his company still views the Apple TV as a "hobby," and noted that sales of the product simply don't compare to the consumer markets for smartphones, computers and MP3 players. Cook said he doesn't believe the Apple TV will remain dormant, but it may take time for the potential market for the device to grow.



    Here's what I think might be going on with the whole AppleTV + iTunes digital video distribution scene.



    1 - The studios have been reluctant to provide Apple with full access to their TV and Movie catalogs for many reasons including but not limited to Apples domination of digital music content and their desire to see HD optical media to give them one last money grab before moving to all out digital distribution.



    2 - Apple builds the AppleTV with no intention of supporting any optical media no SD DVD and certainly no HD be it HD-DVD or BluRay.



    Fast forward...



    - BluRay won the HD wars with somewhat muted response from the world. It certainly wasn't the same as it was when DVD's beat out DIVX... That seems to be a much bigger deal.



    - Apple held firm and never picked sides (not really anyway) on the HD optical media showdown. And even when BluRay was crowned king Apple chose to not support the format.



    - The Studios (those on the loosing side especially) meanwhile are still somewhat recovering from the HD wars and have lost some real money in the process.



    Now... BluRay is king and what is the studios to do?



    - Provide Apple full access to all of their titles in SD and HD and possibly kill or lessen the success of BluRay?



    - Continue to drag their feet and roadblock Apple until such a time when EVERYONE is screaming for them to give it up and get serious about digital distribution.



    - Back in Apples court do they DARE release a BluRay player for its computers that would, even in an admittedly small way prop up BluRay movie sales?



    And here is where we are today... stuck in a rut... I don't like it any more than you do... \
  • Reply 87 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I have to admit though I am always amazed at the Apple somewhat cult following by some.



    If, as you claimed, you bought at $9.32, you should be thrilled that they have a 'cult following'.



    I have to to admit I am amazed at your concern about the iPad, as reflected in your posts overall. It sounds like you don't really want it to go through the roof (or at the least, have some mixed feelings about its success) which seems totally at odds with what your goal/hope should be as a shareholder.
  • Reply 88 of 266
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I would agree. I believe the iPad is going to do okay maybe even well but unlike my buddy Quadra I have serious doubts that "Slate" computing is going to take over notebooks anytime soon.



    I have to admit though I am always amazed at the Apple somewhat cult following by some. If these numbers are correct its hard to understand people that will spend 600+ dollars a new product they have never even tried or have no clue if its going to have first generation issues.



    However if it makes them happy go for it. Just hope they aren't flipping out if the price drops 200.00 in six months like the iPhone did.



    The iPad isn't a notebook killer. It will kill netbooks, however.





    All these Apple cultists, yet you seem to be a devout follower, trolling in just about every thread...



    The price of the iPhone dropped because it was subsidized by AT&T.

    Yeah, I'm sure the base iPad will soon be the same price as the 32GB iPod Touch. Apple will make that announcement the same day they lower the price of the Mac Pro to match that of the iMac.
  • Reply 89 of 266
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    If, as you claimed, you bought at $9.32, you should be thrilled that they have a 'cult following'.



    I have to to admit I am amazed at your concern about the iPad, as reflected in your posts overall. It sounds like you don't really want it to go through the roof (or at the least, have some mixed feelings about its success) which seems totally at odds with what your goal/hope should be as an shareholder.



    Ditto, I may be a fanboy. But I'm also a stockholder that could stand to profit from APPL in the future.
  • Reply 90 of 266
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post


    Yeah, I'm sure the base iPad will soon be the same price as the 32GB iPod Touch. Apple will make that announcement the same day they lower the price of the Mac Pro to match that of the iMac.







    I'd like to see that day.
  • Reply 91 of 266
    For anyone who thought the icon is some sort of digital book, it's not. It's demonstrating adding websites to the homepage...



    obviously.



    However, using National Geographic to demonstrate this feature might not be mere coincidence. Apple used National Geographic during the Safari demonstration as well. Either Apple's simply a fan of the National Geographic or they're in talks of bringing something from the magazine to iPad.



    Either way, I think it's fairly clear that the icon is not an ebook application.
  • Reply 92 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Are you sure those are not your own bank's charges for using the debit card, I can go back years looking at my Amex account and no such one dollar charges from Apple have ever occurred, in stock items or pre orders.



    It probably is their bank. They are hitting them for using the debit card, and then Visa or whomever gets to take their 3% from Apple. The banks who do this make a killing. Luckily my bank doesn't do this. M&T used to, so if I were going to get gas or whatever, I'd always select credit. M&T didn't do it to credit cards, only if you used debit and entered your pin. When I found this out, bye-bye M&T. Too many charges for everything.



    Banks. Bleh.
  • Reply 93 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    If, as you claimed, you bought at $9.32, you should be thrilled that they have a 'cult following'.



    I have to to admit I am amazed at your concern about the iPad, as reflected in your posts overall. It sounds like you don't really want it to go through the roof (or at the least, have some mixed feelings about its success) which seems totally at odds with what your goal/hope should be as a shareholder.



    Well I don't believe that sales always reflect in the market. The stock market is based on perception rarely reality. The tech sector can be even more volatile. Lets remember Apple did really nothing wrong and had strong sales and their stock went as low as 78.00 a share in the last 52 week. So clearly that was based on market trend and not Apple.



    When it comes to Apple or any product I buy I simply speak my mind. There are many things I like about Apple products and some I don't.



    I have already said I will most likely get an iPad even more so now that it looks like true multi tasking is going to be available. However this is not a product I would pre order, its something I would like to use first and then decide.



    As far as my opinion I tend to get annoyed when members bash other companies or products, even more so when they don't use those products and are talking out their a$$. The Windows bashers that haven't used Windows in 5 years, Google bashers simply because Google does well and the Blackberry bashers that never used a Blackberry. Even the ATT vs Verizon BS which I can't understand at all.
  • Reply 94 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post


    The iPad isn't a notebook killer. It will kill netbooks, however.





    All these Apple cultists, yet you seem to be a devout follower, trolling in just about every thread...



    The price of the iPhone dropped because it was subsidized by AT&T.

    Yeah, I'm sure the base iPad will soon be the same price as the 32GB iPod Touch. Apple will make that announcement the same day they lower the price of the Mac Pro to match that of the iMac.



    Its not even something that competes with Netbooks because it doesn't run a desktop OS. Also people that buy netbooks are spending under 300.00 they would have to spend double to get even the lowest end iPad. So I dont see this killing netbooks.



    In fact there has never been an Apple product that has killed anything or put any major business under.
  • Reply 95 of 266
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdawg75 View Post


    It's not dead...will be back big time when all the hoopla on the iPad and new version of the iPhone, etc. dies down.



    Right... Just like the Cube.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post


    The only thing that can sell the Apple TV is content.



    the second they announce a meaningful subscription plan is when Apple TV will start flying off the shelf. But I guess that'll take a long time for negotiation.



    Inexpensive content is key. Music and Apps are very reasonable for what you get... Movies and television are waaay over-priced. I know its not Apple's fault, but still...
  • Reply 96 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post


    You don't get the point. First of all they priced it at an affordable price point for an Apple product and second of all they won't pull that stunt again.



    Yes they will upgrade the iPad so essentially the price will "drop" but that's not the same thing.



    What point don't I get that iPhone early adopters went nuts when Apple dropped the price by 200.00 and then got rid of the 4GB model? Because thats exactly what happened, if that wasn't fact SJ wouldn't have offered a 100.00 Apple Store credit to try and calm things down.



    It appears you just dont get it.
  • Reply 97 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    It's the risk they take (or I/we take) whenever we assume the early adopter role. I paid $1,000 for my first DVD player and another $1,000 for my 1st Blu-ray player (and another $500 for an HD-DVD player) so I'm no stranger to the sting of dramatic prices drops that usually follow a new product's introduction. Oddly enough, when it came to DVD and Blu-ray years later, I didn't wait for a measure of success before jumping in. Nowadays, I try to be a little bit more reserved with my disposable income. I currently have two $1,000 devices sitting in my basement that tell me to.



    LOL. Good point. I think we have all made those mistakes.
  • Reply 98 of 266
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    .....

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I have already said I will most likely get an iPad



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    It isn't that great.



    1. Its not a game changer



    2. Its nothing more then a larger iPod Touch



    3. It can't work as a Mac. No version of iLife or iWorks like rumored. It has no real processing power.



    4. Unlike some have mentioned its not powerful enough for Slate computing to take over notebooks.



    5. They can bundle it with Apple Tv and try and sell it at Costco because thats the only way they are going to make money on this.



  • Reply 99 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    Well I don't believe that sales always reflect in the market. The stock market is based on perception rarely reality. The tech sector can be even more volatile. Lets remember Apple did really nothing wrong and had strong sales and their stock went as low as 78.00 a share in the last 52 week. So clearly that was based on market trend and not Apple.



    1) We've had this discussion with you, and I am not going to get drawn into it again. I'll simply say that you do need to learn some basic finance before you talk about stuff like this. I am not saying it's necessary, but it might help.



    2) You also perhaps want to reflect on the phrase, "all else equal." (As in, all else equal, as a shareholder who is presumably happier with a higher rather than lower stock price, would you prefer a more successful or less successful new product introduction by a company whose stock you own?)
  • Reply 100 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    You're just out of touch with the reality of the market, as usual. Having all the imagination of a rock doesn't help, either.



    For a guy that doesn't even have the stomach to invest in the market you aren't one to talk. I have far more of an investment in Apple then you will ever have. You are all talk I put my hard earned money behind the company.



    You are just simply one of those blind cult followers. There is no other explaination.



    You are the big Apple loyalist due to the extreme trauma from using Windows 10 years ago......



    Don't buy stock simply invest in therapy. Children all over the world using MS products yet it was so tramatic for you. You just crack me up.
Sign In or Register to comment.