iPad: 50,000 sales in 2 hours, Apple TV bumped, mysterious app icon

13468914

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 266
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post


    Ditto, I may be a fanboy. But I'm also a stockholder that could stand to profit from APPL in the future.



    Careful with your ticker symbols there, or you might end up with shares in Appell Petroleum Corp.
  • Reply 102 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    .....



    Which are all true Quadra.



    You said this was going to be a game changer because Slate computing was going to take over notebooks. Lets make sure you put my comments into correct context. There isnt anyone here that believe the iPad is going to overtake notebooks.
  • Reply 103 of 266
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    Which are all true Quadra.



    You said this was going to be a game changer because Slate computing was going to take over notebooks



    It'll happen. Bet on it. That's the whole promise of the platform.
  • Reply 104 of 266
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    Its not even something that competes with Netbooks because it doesn't run a desktop OS. Also people that buy netbooks are spending under 300.00 they would have to spend double to get even the lowest end iPad. So I dont see this killing netbooks.



    In fact there has never been an Apple product that has killed anything or put any major business under.



    Most netbooks I have used can barely run a desktop OS, as is. Most people buy netbooks for internet browsing, listening to music and watching videos, not as notebook replacements. The iPad seems to do those three things far better than the average netbook.



    The iPod essentially killed the WalkMan, DiskMan, and their variants.
  • Reply 105 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    Right... Just like the Cube.



    +1

    I have an TV, and you are right. It is a really great idea, but just missing on a few key things to make it truly outstanding.

    It's almost an entertainment center replacement, but no HDMI, lack of support for different codecs, etc. No coax or cable-box replacement capability. Lack of content( isn't the hardware's fault, or the software for that matter, but still) And no optical drive.

    I suppose if it had such things it would be a mini.
  • Reply 106 of 266
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    Its not even something that competes with Netbooks because it doesn't run a desktop OS. Also people that buy netbooks are spending under 300.00 they would have to spend double to get even the lowest end iPad. So I dont see this killing netbooks.



    In fact there has never been an Apple product that has killed anything or put any major business under.



    Yep I agree. People on this board need to take off their RDF glassess... Price always wins in consumer space. People have to realize that $500 is a lot of money for some people. Not everyone can afford such devices.
  • Reply 107 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    Windows Media Center, Zune, Windows 7, and the new Windows Mobile Phone Series 7 (or whatever they called it) all have beautiful looking interfaces. The Courier would fall into that category too, so everyone that sees screenshots gets excited. In my experience, Microsoft does fall short in the usability aspects though. I don't know why Apple gets called out for form over function when Microsoft doesn't, because that is all I see in their UIs.



    I planning making a blue-ray and game playing HTPC, but thus far the computer hasn't made it out of my room (I don't like Windows media center either), and I am wanting to go back to my original idea which was a mini.



    Windows 7 Media Center is awesome if you couple it with a great front end like Media Browser. I've currently got a W7 PC hooked up to my 50" plasma. It does everything. PC Games, iTunes Music, TV shows, Hulu, Websites, Blu-Rays, Arcade Emulator...the works.



    Wireless keyboard (DiNovo). Xbox 360 wireless controller for games (I know, mouse+keyboard is better, but I grew up on consoles and I don't have time to learn a new way to play. Plus keyboard doesn't work too well on PacMan.



    The best part is that I built my PC for <$400 + some old parts lying around. How much is an Apple TV again?



    For more info go here:



    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26



    or



    http://www.mediabrowser.tv/
  • Reply 108 of 266
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    What is this fixation with killing markets? The iPad isn't designed to "kill" anything. It's designed to create something. I'm sure Apple will be perfectly happy if people continue to buy $300 netbooks for whatever reason they buy $300 netbooks. Nobody really makes much money selling them anyway, which is why Apple isn't going there. Apple is interested in developing a new market in which they can actually make money. What a concept.
  • Reply 109 of 266
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post


    +1

    I have an TV, and you are right. It is a really great idea, but just missing on a few key things to make it truly outstanding.

    It's almost an entertainment center replacement, but no HDMI, lack of support for different codecs, etc. No coax or cable-box replacement capability. Lack of content( isn't the hardware's fault, or the software for that matter, but still) And no optical drive.

    I suppose if it had such things it would be a mini.



    Apple limited the functionality of the AppleTV from day one for some unknown reason... Perhaps we will know in the future...



    But a device that didn't allow a user do to simple things like creating a movie playlist instead of just listing all of your movies in one large list is pathetic...
  • Reply 110 of 266
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    Yep I agree. People on this board need to take off their RDF glassess... Price always wins in consumer space. People have to realize that $500 is a lot of money for some people. Not everyone can afford such devices.



    Not everybody can afford coffee at Starbucks either, but that doesn't seem to hurt their sales. What was your point again?
  • Reply 111 of 266
    I think the name under the yellow square icon says "Nat Geo"... which yeah i guess is National Geographic. I can't wait to play around with an ipad
  • Reply 112 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    What is this fixation with killing markets? The iPad isn't designed to "kill" anything. It's designed to create something. I'm sure Apple will be perfectly happy if people continue to buy $300 netbooks for whatever reason they buy $300 netbooks. Nobody really makes much money selling them anyway, which is why Apple isn't going there. Apple is interested in developing a new market in which they can actually make money. What a concept.



    umm no. you're wrong.
  • Reply 113 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    It'll happen. Bet on it. That's the whole promise of the platform.



    The whole promise of the platform is multi-faceted, but not to take over notebooks, or netbooks for that matter.

    It is do do books better, magazines, to do print media better. The Kindle shows it will work, the iPad is supposed to be an improvement on that. Also, it does wifi for simple web surfing, etc. Some iPhone apps, games, etc will be better on it due to the larger format. This one device can replace students backpacks, books, and notebooks. Dock with KB at school, one at home. No more expensive books to buy or lug around.
  • Reply 114 of 266
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    Not everybody can afford coffee at Starbucks either, but that doesn't seem to hurt their sales. What was your point again?



    You should do some research on how Starbucks has been doing financially...
  • Reply 115 of 266
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post


    umm no. you're wrong.



    Obviously. I see your argument. Sorry.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    You should do some research on how Starbucks has been doing financially...



    I know, hardly anyone drinks coffee at Starbucks anymore, probably really never did. They're practically bankrupt. Silly me. Price always wins after all.
  • Reply 116 of 266
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post


    Thanks...for quoting the entire article in your reply.



    boo-hoo. the guy already apologized. leave him alone. it's not like he killed any trees doing it. some of you (who post about length or spelling or grammar or punctuation) really need to lighten up. would it hurt you to scroll through his reposted article to get to his comment?



    on the topic--great start. where are all the naysayers? regardless of what you may think of the ipad, it's going to be hugely successful. if not in it's first iteration, most definitely in the future.
  • Reply 117 of 266
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    You should do some research on how Starbucks has been doing financially...



    That's beside the point. Apple defies all conventional market wisdom.
  • Reply 118 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    You should do some research on how Starbucks has been doing financially...



    Starbucks' problem has been too much growth (i.e., investments in new stores, new employees etc and cannibalization of existing stores; expansion into non-core activities like CDs and fat/greasy muffins, etc) relative to growth in demand, leading to a squeeze their cash flows. A classic affliction of many a retail brand (e.g., Boston Market, Burger King, Sears....)



    I think his point was simply that higher price does not necessarily deter sales, given all else that the product or service is offering. I.e., it's price of a cup of coffee relative to value offered that matters.
  • Reply 119 of 266
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    Obviously. I see your argument. Sorry.







    I know, hardly anyone drinks coffee at Starbucks anymore, probably really never did. They're practically bankrupt. Silly me. Price always wins after all.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    That's beside the point. Apple defies all conventional market wisdom.



    My point being is that the iPod and iPhone has always been priced in line with the competition. Their superior user experience along with a competitive price point lead to market domination...



    Last I checked Zunes or Andriod phones weren't considerable cheaper (if at all) than Apple's products... Apple's iPad, while potentially a great product, isn't price competitively at this point with Netbooks. If that changes in the future is unknown at this point.
  • Reply 120 of 266
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    That's beside the point. Apple defies all conventional market wisdom.



    It's besides the point because it isn't in any way, shape or form a response to the point. Not only is the proof lacking for the argument that "price always wins," the evidence doesn't even bloody well exist. The concept that people never choose to spend more for something is patently absurd. It defies the fundamental reality that we all know exists.
Sign In or Register to comment.