First sanctioned iPad reviews speak favorably of new device

Comments

• Reply 21 of 186
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    But it's just four iPod Touches fused together. And no camera.
  • Reply 22 of 186
    re:"Comedian Stephen Fry's unboxing of the iPad w/ all the accessories"

Hmmm - as much as it's credible being that he's friends with Jon Ive and was at the announcement ahead of the media, etc - it IS April 1 in the UK - and that means the internet is no longer a credible source of info of any kind anywhere until April 2.

In other news - did you know that Apple incorporated on April 1?

S'true!:

#1976.E2.80.931980:_The_early_years" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_I...he_early_years
  • Reply 23 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The author thinks 20 million sold iPod Touches represents a failure. Much like the red ring of death on his favorite game system.
  • Reply 24 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Screen area equals 8 Touchs
  • Reply 25 of 186
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Screen size equals 8 iPods.

It's just 8 iPods! Fools!
  • Reply 26 of 186
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Mine's coming April 12th and my mother's will be coming as soon as the 3G models hit.

I don't see too many Techies that I'm impressed with. Some people really know their stuff and it shows in how comfortable they are in assessing and discussing technology.

The people ranting in comments section aren't techies ..they're posers who have shaky confidence in what they really know.

Macs and PCs as we know them aren't going away and Apple certainly isn't trying to replace the Macbook lineup with iPads. They fully acknowledge that this is a companion device.

I've done remote work before and I tell you I hated lugging out the 5lb PC laptop and waiting for 3 minutes as XP booted like molasses in winter. All I needed to do was to access a website. Tablets based on OS designed for mobile computing will deal with such simple tasks far more efficiently than computers designed with a full OS.

The iPad will be a success. It functions like it should with speed and grace. It's yet another hallmark device from Apple and the usual suspects are once again clueless.

Ok let's play Devil's Advocate here. Let's talk about where Apple may have gone wrong.

Flash - Flash is important...for some people. However those of us who are reaching those years where the gray hairs start popping in realize that the web must be as open as possible and for financial expediency there will always be developers that wish to cordon off areas and profit. Flash is nothing more than a vehicle to produce profits for Adobe via proprietary software. Though Apple is taking a risk by not supporting Flash without having more viable options for developers to eschew Flash for more open options.

Camera - Not really sure that a camera is all that big of a deal on a tablet but perhaps generation II. I'd rather see flexible cameras that connect to the 30 pin connecto than something built in and inflexible.

Multitasking - Multitasking is there but 3rd parties haven't been invited to the table until Push Notification and other security methods have been perfected. We'll get Multitasking in a future OS update. I'm sure of it.

I can't wait for mine.
  • Reply 27 of 186
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    To my critics,

I just want to say it's better to be a informed consumer than a misinformed one.

I think the iPad is a wonderful device, it has a lot of great features, but since Apple is rather vague on the purpose, market and intention of this device, trying to cast the widest market net basically, it's up to us seasoned users to find out how this device fits in the real world.

Apple has a habit of creating a device and letting the market dictate what it's going to become, so opinions and comments matter. Heck, Apple didn't even think the iPod Touch would turn chiefly into a portable gaming device, but it did.

All I'm doing is helping in that process, which seems I'm not way off track if I have the Woz and Pogue agreeing with me.

If you don't like what I have to say, the ignore feature is in your User CP, but you might miss out on some good links I come across, even though you might not share in my opinions.
  • Reply 28 of 186
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm starting to worry about SpotOn-- he appears to be in an steadily mounting panic that the iPad might actually be well received and used and enjoyed by lots of people. How else to explain his constant posting about a device he doesn't much care for, with increasingly strained efforts to put a negative spin on what has primarily been pretty upbeat news?

I mean, quoting Woz to offset the uniformly positive early reviews, and having mischaracterize his remarks just to eke out even that little bit? How many ways are there to say "But it's just a big iPod!"? Grim.

It's hilarious... He supposedly doesn't want it, yet he can't stop talking about it. My favorite part is "he's just balancing things out so that you and I are more informed consumers."
  • Reply 29 of 186
    Got two iPads coming... Can hardly wait.
  • Reply 30 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Got two iPads coming... Can hardly wait.

Did you think about going 3G on them? I decided that I'm going to keep my CLEAR 4G card

and add their Wifi 4G router (CLEAR Spot) when the next model is announced with integrates the USB Modem and the router together. So I have only one device to carry around with the iPad and more importantly one bill.
  • Reply 31 of 186
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

To my critics,

I just want to say it's better to be a informed consumer than a informed one.

That's what Pogue would say.

• Reply 32 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Did you think about going 3G on them? I decided that I'm going to keep my CLEAR 4G card

and add their Wifi 4G router (CLEAR Spot) when the next model is announced with integrates the USB Modem and the router together. So I have only one device to carry around with the iPad and more importantly one bill.

I purchased one of each... The 3G is mine, though. The 4.0 OS sounds promising, doesn't it?
  • Reply 33 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Gotta love SpotOn's wishy-washy posts. First, Apple is too controlling with their products forcing you to only use them their way, but now they are vague on their intended market and usage. They can't win!

I don't know about anyone else, but Apple has been quite clear since the demo in January who this device is for.
  • Reply 34 of 186
    Quote:

I purchased one of each... The 3G is mine, though. The 4.0 OS sounds promising, doesn't it?

Yes ...if they wait for WWDC 2010 to unveil 4.0 and show off some 10.7 features it'll be some exciting times.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Gotta love SpotOn's wishy-washy posts. First, Apple is too controlling with their products forcing you to use them the way they way, but now they are vague on their intended market and usage intention. They can't win!

I don't know about anyone else, but Apple has been quite clear since the demo in January who this device is for.

Control is good. I've had very few issues with 3rd party apps on my Touch/iPhone. Everything generally works the way its supposed to.
  • Reply 35 of 186
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

I just want to say it's better to be a informed consumer than a informed one.

By criticizing a device you haven't even tried yourself?

Yeah... very informative. </sarcasm>
  • Reply 36 of 186
    Quote:

It's hilarious... He supposedly doesn't want it, yet he can't stop talking about it. My favorite part is "he's just balancing things out so that you and I are more informed consumers."

Oh I want one to play with, but not pay for, like any good critic.

"I just want to say it's better to be a informed consumer than a informed one."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

That's what Pogue would say.

Now you know why editors and proof readers exist!
  • Reply 37 of 186
    Trolling this forum has gotten to be a chore. I come for good input and advice concerning apple's products and instead see the same 8 to 12 people ganging up on someone that (especially in THIS case) intelligently disagrees with them.

And these same people claim they are NOT mac Fanboys, are being non-biased, and that anyone that disagrees with them is a troll.

I read one entire forum wherein these same people wondered how long it would take the mods to ban someone that disagreed with them.

Apparently one cannot come here for advice or actual bi-partisan insight. That wasn't possible in grade school, high school, and apparently not here either.

This is sad.

The world run by hypocrites and those in the microcosm can't do their part to be a voice of reason.

Looks like I'll have to go o mac rumours to get my news from now on.

It's where AI gets most of their articles anyway......
  • Reply 38 of 186
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I saw Mossberg's review about an hour after it went up. I thought it was pretty close to a rave.

But in the comments section, man, it was a bloodbath. Everything from "it won't even replace my $1,500 laptop" to "if I can't take the battery out myself it is dead to me" to "it has no keyboard/USB port/Flash = Fail!!!1!1!!" [yes, yes. I'm paraphrasing despite using quotes. I didn't feel like wading back into that mess again for actual quotes...]

Just a lot of ignorance being let out by people that can't concieve of a different use case. Hopefully people will realize that it isn't a laptop competitor Rather it is a device that can be considered to be a better solution than a laptop for many people. For some uses it will excell.

Quote:

There are some angry techies out there, and if this device succeeds (where other attempts at a tablet have clearly not) I'm afraid some might actually explode.

After see some of the comments on this forum they would be doing all of us a favor by exploding and slowly dieing.

Quote:

Funny thing is, they were (mostly) all valid complaints if you expect the iPad to be what it is not. Few seemed to be willing to look at it as a new type of device and judge it on its merits. I am extremely curious to see what the general population thinks when this hits the street!

I think the machine is a good idea but the implementation and lack of info is wanting. Being a very rev one device I'm not rushing out to buy. As to that lack of info I'm amazed that so many have taken the plunge without finding out how much memory is in the thing. I just don't do that with computers, mainly because it directly impacts what you can do with a Computer.

Hopefully the flood gates will open and info will flow freely.

Dave
  • Reply 39 of 186
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I agree with the Boing Boing review-- the thing that will really seal the deal for the iPad are apps we haven't even imagined yet.

From day 1 I've thought that one of the most interesting things about the single app, full screen model when applied to a device as big as the iPad is that it makes into sequentially different devices, for all intents and purposes. When it's running the ebooks app, its not a computer running an app, it's a book. A very clever and flexible book, sure, but in terms of how you hold and deal with the thing, it's a book.

Or a map. Or a musical instrument. Or a day planner. Or a video viewer. Or..... we haven't seen yet. A drawing tablet? A sophisticated touch synth? Something no one has thought of?

I just don't think you can overestimate the psychological impact of having the entire device be turned over to the UI of a given application, with nothing on the hardware betraying the sense of dedicated appliance. I think it will be very different from simply running an app on a computer in full screen mode, because that still has a bunch of "computer" UI and hardware cues and a bunch of "computer OS" cruft that you can't get rid of.

The iPhone pioneered the idea of the screen being the UI, with as little hardware as possible to get in the way. The iPad takes that idea and (literally) expands it, to a size that's analogous to any number of real world objects that we're used to interacting with.

I believe the future of computing is just this: abandoning the "container" of the "computing experience" and letting the technology work invisibly to create the illusion of a perfectly adaptable, endlessly changeable blank slate.
  • Reply 40 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Looks like I'll have to go to MacRumors (sic) to get my news from now on...

Good luck, that site is more juvenile than any other Mac site expect MacDailyNews.

Have fun trading down.