First sanctioned iPad reviews speak favorably of new device

Comments

• Reply 41 of 186
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Trolling this forum has gotten to be a chore. I come for good input and advice concerning apple's products and instead see the same 8 to 12 people ganging up on someone that (especially in THIS case) intelligently disagrees with them.

And these same people claim they are NOT mac Fanboys, are being non-biased, and that anyone that disagrees with them is a troll.

I read one entire forum wherein these same people wondered how long it would take the mods to ban someone that disagreed with them.

Apparently one cannot come here for advice or actual bi-partisan insight. That wasn't possible in grade school, high school, and apparently not here either.

This is sad.

The world run by hypocrites and those in the microcosm can't do their part to be a voice of reason.

Looks like I'll have to go o mac rumours to get my news from now on.

It's where AI gets most of their articles anyway......

I'm not sure what you're saying, but if you think the issue with trolls is merely "disagreeing" with anyone, you're not paying attention.
  • Reply 42 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Good luck, that site is more juvenile than any other Mac site expect MacDailyNews.

Have fun trading down.

I have traced back many an article from here to mac rumors to find that the one on AI is the abridged version of the one on mac rumors and also that mac rumors broke it first.

I fail to see the logic in how that is "trading down".....
  • Reply 43 of 186
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Gotta love SpotOn's wishy-washy posts. First, Apple is too controlling with their products forcing you to only use them their way, but now they are vague on their intended market and usage. They can't win!

I don't know about anyone else, but Apple has been quite clear since the demo in January who this device is for.

I'm about to create an account over on the Black & Decker forums just to let them know I don't like their latest wireless drill. Hopefully if I post my dislike for it every 15 minutes, others will listen and stop using their products... BRB!!!
  • Reply 44 of 186
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

To my critics,

I just want to say it's better to be a informed consumer than a misinformed one.

I think the iPad is a wonderful device, it has a lot of great features, but since Apple is rather vague on the purpose, market and intention of this device, trying to cast the widest market net basically, it's up to us seasoned users to find out how this device fits in the real world.

Did you even watch the keynote when the iPad was announced? Apple was not "vague" in the least, visually placing the iPad between an iPhone (mobile device) and a MacBook (laptop).

Re: market and intentions: Apple knows full well who they developed this device for, and, what, why and HOW to market it to them.

As I stated before it was even released here at AI, it's for the young, the elderly, and the technophobes primarily... the pudding. The Apple "fans" that buy it to do a specific task(s), entertainment, consumption when away from their 'puter, are the "whipped cream" (pun intended
  • Reply 45 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm not sure what you're saying, but if you think the issue with trolls is merely "disagreeing" with anyone, you're not paying attention.

I won't name names.

All I will say is that on any given article forum on AI I have seen that over 3/4 of the actual comments are a litany of attacks on someone labeled as a "troll".

By definition, I would be a troll. I come, I read the articles, I read a few comments and if I feel the need or require extrapolation, I comment myself.

The term "troll" is another work of bastardization of the english language morphasized to mean what those in the consensus elected it to mean, when it already had a well documented definition.

In any case, it is the same offenders always ganging up on the same people.

If someone disagrees with you, deal with it. Move on. It's like a critique in creative writing class.

But ganging up on someone? That's pretty childish. And hypocritical. Especially when those doing it have been witnessed crying foul when it has been done to them.
  • Reply 46 of 186
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    About the iPad haters, I think of it this way: It's impossible to create a "revolutionary" device that merely confirms people's expectations. By definition, a gadget that just gives the gadget-forum boys what they all think it should have will be a conventional product.

That's not to say that defying expectations guarantees that it will be an important or revolutionary device. It's also got to be good. But defying expectations - and therefore driving the gadget-forum boys crazy - is a necessary condition for a ground-breaking device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Screen area equals 8 Touchs

How's that? It's a little more than 4 put together, but not much more. Maybe around 5.
  • Reply 47 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm about to create an account over on the Black & Decker forums just to let them know I don't like their latest wireless drill. Hopefully if I post my dislike for it every 15 minutes, others will listen and stop using their products... BRB!!!

Black & Decker? Pfffft. Fisher Price toys for people who don't know how to use real tools. And don't even get me started on Black & Decker fan boys. And here's the kicker: when you patiently explain to them how sucky their drills are, and what mindless sheep they are for buying into the B&D (or Break and Discard, as we say) Walled Garden (good luck using Bosch batteries with your precious new drill!), they get all defensive. Which pretty much proves they're all gay.
  • Reply 48 of 186
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

By criticizing a device you haven't even tried yourself?

Yeah... very informative. </sarcasm>

Well if I can be as accurate with some of my assessments as Steve Wozniak and David Pogue without touching the device, I'd say that's quite a accomplishment don't you think?

Also I'm a rather seasoned user, the eye candy stuff is cool for about a few minutes then it's only good for impressing the occasional person after that.

(although we really get some good laughs at the bar with Photo Booth, making faces in the mirrors

The major factor that comes into play is the practicalities of the device; what it can or cannot do, what are it's issues and limitations etc.

Having to take care of others machines, I have to deal with this sort of thing. So people like me need to know all the issues and others the same.

But if you want it all powder puff, I'm sure just reading the glowing reviews is good enough for you, no need to dive down into the jungle.

Apple has huge marketing campaign going on, what people say on blog sites never has affected their sales.
  • Reply 49 of 186
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

There are some angry techies out there, and if this device succeeds (where other attempts at a tablet have clearly not) I'm afraid some might actually explode.

I'm reminded of when the Mac came out, it caused the geeks to fly into a purple rage, where they've remained pretty much ever since. The natural conclusion: the more the geeks are infuriated, the better it is for everyone else.
  • Reply 50 of 186
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    In regards to my previous posts stating that I was going to wait to purchase my 3 iPads for my family (Dad, in-laws, and nephew) in October, well... I'm gonna have a hard time being patient. My Dad just called and "wants one NOW... this weekend or next!"

I was floored, because if there is a more frugal and discerning consumer on Earth than my Dad, I have yet to meet them. This is a guy that waits for the rev. C of a car that he "loves" and can't wait to drive, sometimes waiting up to 2 years.

If he keeps this up, maybe I'll need to research the subliminal advertising for Apple products... or the so-called "Kool-Aid" factor.

Funny... my Dad doesn't yet own anything Apple??? But he's actually "begging" at this point! I'm just floored!
  • Reply 51 of 186
    Quote:

The world run by hypocrites and those in the microcosm can't do their part to be a voice of reason.

Looks like I'll have to go o mac rumours to get my news from now on.

It's where AI gets most of their articles anyway......

Life's just one endless parade of disappointments for some people. Good to see we measure up to your dark gray sky impression of reality.

Enjoy the bright shiny day of unicorns and pink fluffy clouds on Mac Rumors - I hear it's made of ice-cream and dreams of magical fairies, and is not anything like the rest of the internet.

Good luck and godspeed!

(psst: why is he still here - he made such a fuss about going - isn't he gone yet?)
  • Reply 52 of 186
    Quote:

I won't name names.

All I will say is that on any given article forum on AI I have seen that over 3/4 of the actual comments are a litany of attacks on someone labeled as a "troll".

I dunno, maybe we're reading different forums. A lot of the "troll" talk of late has been around two members that have reregistered several times after being banned, who do nothing but post fatuous "fan boy" happy talk. Are you saying that such people have a legitimate point to make?

Quote:

By definition, I would be a troll. I come, I read the articles, I read a few comments and if I feel the need or require extrapolation, I comment myself.

I don't know what you mean by "by definition" here. If your comments are intended to irritate people by making broad claims about the general crappiness of Apple's products or the general dementia of its users, then yeah. Otherwise, no.

Quote:

The term "troll" is another work of bastardization of the english language morphasized to mean what those in the consensus elected it to mean, when it already had a well documented definition.

Lots of words take on new meanings as cultural context shifts or new technologies require new terminology. It's not remotely "bastardization", it's how language works. Or are you bugged by seeing "bug" used to mean a software glitch?

Quote:

In any case, it is the same offenders always ganging up on the same people.

If a lot of posters are objecting to the same people, that may be a function of the objected to rather than the objectors. Managing to irritate more than a few people does not equal "ganging up."

Quote:

If someone disagrees with you, deal with it. Move on. It's like a critique in creative writing class.

Again, pretending that the issue is "disagreeing" is disingenuous. If you really read the threads, you'll see that lots of people disagree, and quite civilly. What people get tired of are members that literally do nothing but post snarky, dismissive little jabs.

Quote:

But ganging up on someone? That's pretty childish. And hypocritical. Especially when those doing it have been witnessed crying foul when it has been done to them.

Again, I don't know where you're getting this "ganging up" stuff. If posters are free to "disagree", as you say, isn't any other poster free to express his displeasure? And it's not like Apple bashers on this site aren't happy enough to join forces and cluck, together, over the fan boy failings they see so abundantly manifested.

As you say, "If someone disagrees with you, deal with it. Move on. It's like a critique in creative writing class." That only applies to my response to trolls, but trolls are tender little fabergé eggs that must be coddled?
  • Reply 53 of 186
    Quote:

And here's the kicker: when you patiently explain to them how sucky their drills are, and what mindless sheep they are for buying into (Black and Decker) they get all defensive. Which pretty much proves they're all gay.

Ricky Martin uses Black and Decker hand tools?
  • Reply 54 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Ricky Martin uses Black and Decker hand tools?

And you don't even want to know what for.
  • Reply 55 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

How's that? It's a little more than 4 put together, but not much more. Maybe around 5.

. iPad: 4:3 = 1.33 ratio @ 9.7" = 7.69"(w) x 5.91"(h) = 45.47" sq

iPhone: 3:2 = 1.50 ratio @ 3.5" = 2.91"(w) x 1.94"(h) = ÷5.65" sq

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7.99
  • Reply 56 of 186
    Huffington Post has a similar wrap up like AI's - and includes embedded video from an ABC news story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_521102.html
  • Reply 57 of 186
    Quote:

I dunno, maybe we're reading different forums. A lot of the "troll" talk of late has been around two members that have reregistered several times after being banned, who do nothing but post fatuous "fan boy" happy talk. Are you saying that such people have a legitimate point to make?

I don't know what you mean by "by definition" here. If your comments are intended to irritate people by making broad claims about the general crappiness of Apple's products or the general dementia of its users, then yeah. Otherwise, no.

Lots of words take on new meanings as cultural context shifts or new technologies require new terminology. It's not remotely "bastardization", it's how language works. Or are you bugged by seeing "bug" used to mean a software glitch?

If a lot of posters are objecting to the same people, that may be a function of the objected to rather than the objectors. Managing to irritate more than a few people does not equal "ganging up."

Again, pretending that the issue is "disagreeing" is disingenuous. If you really read the threads, you'll see that lots of people disagree, and quite civilly. What people get tired of are members that literally do nothing but post snarky, dismissive little jabs.

Again, I don't know where you're getting this "ganging up" stuff. If posters are free to "disagree", as you say, isn't any other poster free to express his displeasure? And it's not like Apple bashers on this site aren't happy enough to join forces and cluck, together, over the fan boy failings they see so abundantly manifested.

As you say, "If someone disagrees with you, deal with it. Move on. It's like a critique in creative writing class." That only applies to my response to trolls, but trolls are tender little fabergé eggs that must be coddled?

There is a difference in disagreement and debased attempts are demoralizing someone.

The products of disagreements, here or on ANY forum, are the latter.

The irony is AI is supposed to be above the mannerisms and culture of other forums, is it not?

What was said recently "to disagree without being disagreeable..."?

I would say in this venue that has been an abject and complete failed exercise....
  • Reply 58 of 186
    Quote:

Life's just one endless parade of disappointments for some people. Good to see we measure up to your dark gray sky impression of reality.

Bad to see people are predictable.

Quote:

Enjoy the bright shiny day of unicorns and pink fluffy clouds on Mac Rumors - I hear it's made of ice-cream and dreams of magical fairies, and is not anything like the rest of the internet.

As stated in another post, AI is supposed to be above all of that, or so the offenders state when attempting to demoralize a "troll" (see first response to this comment and enjoy the ride on the merry-go-round....)

Quote:

Good luck and godspeed!

Luck is non-tangible and therefore cannot be good or bad. I am agnostic. I am actually insulted by the latter.

Quote:

(psst: why is he still here - he made such a fuss about going - isn't he gone yet?)

I'm staying JUST to annoy YOU. Ignore me at any time I get under your skin.
  • Reply 59 of 186
    Quote:

There is a difference in disagreement and debased attempts are demoralizing someone.

The products of disagreements, here or on ANY forum, are the latter.

The irony is AI is supposed to be above the mannerisms and culture of other forums, is it not?

What was said recently "to agree without being disagreeable..."?

I would say in this venue that has been an abject and complete failed exercise....

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. "Debased attempts at demoralizing"? Which is the product of disagreements? What?

"AI is supposed to be above the mannerisms and culture of other forums"? "Supposed to be"? "Mannerisms and culture"? Is there a guide book I'm not aware of?

"Agree without being disagreeable?" Is that, um, difficult? Or not a tautology?

As far as "abject and completely failed exercises" go, failed at what? Non-disagreeable agreeing? Elevated mannerisms? You seem..... a little..... formal? About matters not really requiring formality?
  • Reply 60 of 186
    Quote:

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. "Debased attempts at demoralizing"? Which is the product of disagreements? What?

"AI is supposed to be above the mannerisms and culture of other forums"? "Supposed to be"? "Mannerisms and culture"? Is there a guide book I'm not aware of?

"Agree without being disagreeable?" Is that, um, difficult? Or not a tautology?

As far as "abject and completely failed exercises" go, failed at what? Non-disagreeable agreeing? Elevated mannerisms? You seem..... a little..... formal? About matters not really requiring formality?

The error had been corrected prior to your post. Please re-read and try again.