First sanctioned iPad reviews speak favorably of new device

Comments

• Reply 61 of 186
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    I agree with harleighquinn. This ganging up on someone is taking up a lot of space and not contributing anything. Disagreeing with someone and putting forth one's own arguments is one thing, but all these personal attacks are just unnecessary.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm starting to worry about SpotOn-- he appears to be in an steadily mounting panic that the iPad might actually be well received and used and enjoyed by lots of people. How else to explain his constant posting about a device he doesn't much care for, with increasingly strained efforts to put a negative spin on what has primarily been pretty upbeat news?

I mean, quoting Woz to offset the uniformly positive early reviews, and having mischaracterize his remarks just to eke out even that little bit? How many ways are there to say "But it's just a big iPod!"? Grim.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Maybe SpotOn is trying to short AAPL.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's hilarious... He supposedly doesn't want it, yet he can't stop talking about it. My favorite part is "he's just balancing things out so that you and I are more informed consumers."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

By criticizing a device you haven't even tried yourself?

Yeah... very informative. </sarcasm>

• Reply 62 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I assumed this thread on iPad reviews with videos would be illuminating and insightful. Finding new nuggets of info and speculating on new ways to utilize this new product category from Apple. A couple oddball posters have ruined another thread's flow. Maybe the next one will be better.
  • Reply 63 of 186
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
    . iPad: 4:3 = 1.33 ratio @ 9.7" = 7.69"(w) x 5.91"(h) = 45.47" sq

iPhone: 3:2 = 1.50 ratio @ 3.5" = 2.91"(w) x 1.94"(h) = ÷5.65" sq

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7.99

I was going by pixels.
  • Reply 64 of 186
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And you don't even want to know what for.

That's two homophobic slurs in one thread. Amazing.
  • Reply 65 of 186
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I assumed this thread on iPad reviews with videos would be illuminating and insightful. Finding new nuggets of info and speculating on new ways to utilize this new product category from Apple. A couple oddball posters have ruined another thread's flow. Maybe the next one will be better.

"Oddball" ain't the half of it.
  • Reply 66 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I was going by pixels.

Note that I did state display area in my original statement. The pixel difference is easier to calculate, but that is an atypical way of discussing it. We don't say the iPad display is nearly the same size as an HDTV simply because the pixel count is close.
    .iPad: 1024 × 768 = 786,432px

iPhone: 480 × 320 = 153,600px

786,432 ÷ 153,600 = 5.12
  • Reply 67 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Heh. You're..... kinda not paying attention, are you?
  • Reply 68 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

I'm staying JUST to annoy YOU. Ignore me at any time I get under your skin.

So you ARE a troll - good - flagged.
  • Reply 69 of 186
    Pogue was clearly spooked by the controversy around him. His review is basically "I dunno some people will like it, some won't. What do you think?" Not much of a review. I don't think anyone reading tech news in the mainstream media is interested in the geeks vs. jocks angle of the iPad.
  • Reply 70 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Ricky Martin is a homophobe or just saying Ricky Martin makes me a homophobe? I thought it was quite topical actually.

In other more on-topic stuff, you can watch Andy Ihnatko, duck questions on whether he had a review iPad on MacBreak Weekly at:

http://www.justin.tv/clip/cf3f3242a39adc66

ThisWeekInTech.com hasn't posted the video officially for some reason - which sucks because I prefer watching it on my iPhone.
  • Reply 71 of 186
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    This is my 1st post here so let me introduce myself a bit.

I'm a designer and a PC guy. Always built & installed my rig myself for the past ten years so I think I'm pretty good at PC. Right now I have an htpc running Vista and a notebook running 7. I started leeching some Apple-related sites for a past few years gathering information about Apple products because of iPhone. Apple products I'm planning to buy are iPad and iPhone 4G, for me & my wife. I even recommended iPad to all of my friends here.

Good to see iPad got rave reviews. There's some limitations I'd like to see a workaround, like an ability to view MPG, AVI or WMV file attached in email etc. but all in all look like it turns out to be better than what I expected in Jan.
  • Reply 72 of 186
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

Pogue was clearly spooked by the controversy around him. His review is basically "I dunno some people will like it, some won't. What do you think?" Not much of a review. I don't think anyone reading tech news in the mainstream media is interested in the geeks vs. jocks angle of the iPad.

I agree, it wasn't very helpful. I think the mistake he made was that he framed the disagreement in terms of personalities, rather than needs. He doesn't get at why the geeks and the normal people disagree over the device, and the readers come away with the impression that it's some sort of arbitrary aesthetic preference. Instead, he should have focused on what people what to do with the device. Perhaps the disagreements between geeks and normal people become clear once one understands what geeks want to use the device for versus what normal people want to use the device for. Framing the disagreement this way allows people to see the choice for what it really is - a preference for utilities and usages - and allows readers to make an informed choice.
  • Reply 73 of 186
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Steve Jobs' handpicked reviewers have tested his latest creation and pronounced it a winner

The first three reviews of Apple's (AAPL) tablet computer were posted Wednesday night ? each, coincidentally, from newspapers that are developing their own iPad apps.

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....eviews-are-in/

Three home runs today...for me.

Quote:

HOLD ON ONE MINUTE!!!

Before you all fly off in some iPad fantasy remember that the publishers have a big interest in the iPad.

• Reply 74 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

Ya - it was the weakest of the ones I've read to date. I think he's getting soured on being called-out on his objectivity. Even Leo Laporte beat him up on his Snow Leopard review.
  • Reply 75 of 186
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    hmm, some nice reviews. I will wait for some of the less 'apple friendly' ones come out. Unfortunately the keyboard doesnt seem to be universally popular, Pouge didnt seem ot like it at all.

Pity the assholes are dragging their feet on the international release, will be some time before I can play with it in person
  • Reply 76 of 186
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Those reviewers are far from neutral. It would be like Paul Thurrott and Mary Jp Foley saying they love Windows 7. How likely would they be to continue to receive pre-release review units if they were less than enthusiastic?
  • Reply 77 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Those reviewers are far from neutral. It would be like Paul Thurrott and Mary Jp Foley saying they love Windows 7. How likely would they be to continue to receive pre-release review units if they were less than enthusiastic?

I don't think you can lump all those (or any, actually) of those reviewers into the Thurrott camp. They review all kinds of stuff, and find some Apple gear wanting while finding lots of other manufacturers worthy.

I do think, however, that Apple's penchant for seeding just a few high profile reviewers with super secret pre-release machines puts a certain amount of pressure on them to play nice.
  • Reply 78 of 186
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The removal of Flash support from Safari is not an "omission." It is a bug fix.

I like Chrome, but consider it nearly unusable because of the lack of ClickToFlash support.
  • Reply 79 of 186
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buffyzdead View Post

is going to be .......h u g e ! ! ! ! ! ! !

ditto
  • Reply 80 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I like Chrome, but consider it nearly unusable because of the lack of ClickToFlash support.

There looks like there are several Flash blocking extensions for Chrome, although I think all bets are off once it gets incorporated into the OS.
    One thing I find interesting about Chrome OS is the potential of competition on tablets (along with Android OS). I think Google would be smart to market Flash in Chrome OS for competing tablets while also working to remove the need for Flash on their backend. It's a win-win for them.